- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 216061, 13 pages
Hepatoprotective Activity of the Total Saponins from Actinidia valvata Dunn Root against Carbon Tetrachloride-Induced Liver Damage in Mice
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, 168 Changhai Road,
Shanghai 200433, China
Received 3 May 2012; Revised 27 September 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: William CS Cho
Copyright © 2012 Liping Qu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Vuda, R. D. Souza, S. Upadhya et al., “Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of aqueous extract of Hybanthus enneaspermus against CCl4-induced liver injury in rats,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 64, no. 7-8, pp. 855–859, 2012.
- A. Srivastava and T. Shivanandappa, “Hepatoprotective effect of the root extract of Decalepis hamiltonii against carbon tetrachloride-induced oxidative stress in rats,” Food Chemistry, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 411–417, 2010.
- Y. B. Feng, N. Wang, X. S. Ye et al., “Hepatoprotective effect and its possible mechanism of Coptidis rhizoma aqueous extract on carbon tetrachloride-induced chronic liver hepatotoxicity in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 683–690, 2011.
- H. L. Xin, Y. C. Wu, Y. F. Xu, Y. H. Su, Y. N. Zhang, and C. Q. Ling, “Four triterpenoids with cytotoxic activity from the leaves of Actinidia valvata,” Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 260–263, 2010.
- Z. Z. Wang, Y. Song, J. H. Hu, and B. M. You, “Morphological indentification and the clinical application of the roots of Actinidia chinensis and Actinida valvata,” Pharmaceutical Care and Research, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 134–137, 2005.
- Y. Li, “Professor Liu Jiaxiang's experience of herbal administration treating cancer,” Shanghai Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 9–10, 2007.
- Y. N. Zhang, L. Liu, and C. Q. Ling, “Inhibition effect of active fraction from Actinidia valvata on growth of transplanated mouse tumor cells and preliminary study of its mechanism,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 918–920, 2006.
- T. J. Yi, Y. F. Xu, G. Y. Zheng, H. L. Xin, and C. Q. Ling, “Inhibitory effects of total saponin from Actinidia Valvata on murine transplanted tumor,” Chinese Archives of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1642–1643, 2009.
- H. L. Xin, X. Q. Yue, Y. F. Xu et al., “Two new polyoxygenated triterpenoids from Actinidia valvata,” Helvetica Chimica Acta, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 575–580, 2008.
- Y. F. Xu, R. L. Ge, J. Du et al., “Corosolic acid induces apoptosis through mitochondrial pathway and caspases activation in human cervix adenocarcinoma HeLa cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 284, no. 2, pp. 229–237, 2009.
- G. Y. Zheng, H. L. Xin, Y. F. Xu et al., “Total saponin from root of Actinidia Valvata Dunn inhibits Hepatoma 22 growth and metastasis in vivo by suppression angiogenesis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 432814, 6 pages, 2012.
- X. Lan and H. X. Wang, “Determination of total saponins in Glycyrrhiza by colorimetry,” Lishizhen Medicine and Materia Medica Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 886–887, 2007.
- X. Zhou, G. R. Fan, and Y. T. Wu, “Study on antioxidant activity in vitro of flavonoids and main components from Trollius ledebouri,” Journal of Chinese Medicinal Materials, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1000–1002, 2007.
- N. Wang, P. B. Li, Y. G. Wang et al., “Hepatoprotective effect of Hypericum japonicum extract and its fractions,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2008.
- M. B. Cao, L. Dong, X. L. Lu, and J. Y. Luo, “Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and its pathogenic effects in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Journal of Nanjing Medical University, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 2008.
- S. N. Hilmer, A. Warren, V. C. Cogger et al., “The effect of aging on the immunohistochemistry of apolipoprotein E in the liver,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2004.
- B. T. Kurien and R. H. Scofield, “Western blotting,” Methods, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 283–293, 2006.
- T. Y. Lai, Y. J. Weng, W. W. Kuo et al., “Taohe Chengqi Tang ameliorates acute liver injury induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats,” Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2010.
- G. J. Huang, J. S. Deng, S. S. Huang, Y. Y. Shao, C. C. Chen, and Y. H. Kuo, “Protective effect of antrosterol from Antrodia camphorata submerged whole broth against carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injury in mice,” Food Chemistry, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 709–716, 2012.
- Q. F. Huang, S. J. Zhang, L. Zheng, M. He, R. B. Huang, and X. Lin, “Hepatoprotective effects of total saponins isolated from Taraphochlamys affinisagainst carbon tetrachloride induced liver injury in rats,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 713–718, 2012.
- S. Rastogi, M. M. Pandey, and A. K. S. Rawat, “An ethnomedicinal, phytochemical and pharmacological profile of Desmodium gangeticum (L.) DC. and Desmodium adscendens (Sw.) DC.,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 283–296, 2011.
- M. A. Mansour, “Protective effects of thymoquinone and desferrioxamine against hepatotoxicity of carbon tetrachloride in mice,” Life Sciences, vol. 66, no. 26, pp. 2583–2591, 2000.
- M. Makni, Y. Chtourou, H. Fetoui, E. M. Garoui, T. Boudawara, and N. Zeghal, “Evaluation of the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and hepatoprotective properties of vanillin in carbon tetrachloride-treated rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 668, no. 1-2, pp. 133–139, 2011.
- N. K. Jain, S. Lodhi, A. Jain, A. Nahata, and A. K. Singhai, “Effects of Phyllanthus acidus (L.) Skeels fruit on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute oxidative damage in livers of rats and mice,” Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2011.
- T. Wang, N. L. Sun, W. D. Zhang et al., “Protective effects of dehydrocavidine on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute hepatotoxicity in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 300–308, 2008.
- R. Domitrović, H. Jakovac, and G. Blagojević, “Hepatoprotective activity of berberine is mediated by inhibition of TNF-α, COX-2, and iNOS expression in CCl4-intoxicated mice,” Toxicology, vol. 280, no. 1-2, pp. 33–43, 2011.
- P. P. Simeonova, R. M. Gallucci, T. Hulderman et al., “The role of tumor necrosis factor-α in liver toxicity, inflammation, and fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 112–120, 2001.
- A. K. Nussler and T. R. Billiar, “Inflammation, immunoregulation, and inducible nitric oxide synthase,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 171–178, 1993.
- P. Muriel, “NF-κB in liver diseases: a target for drug therapy,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 91–100, 2009.
- L. F. Shyur, C. C. Huang, Y. Y. Hsu, Y. W. Cheng, and S. D. Yang, “A sesquiterpenol extract potently suppresses inflammation in macrophages and mice skin and prevents chronic liver damage in mice through JNK-dependent HO-1 expression,” Phytochemistry, vol. 72, no. 4-5, pp. 391–399, 2011.
- K. J. Lee, J. H. Choi, H. G. Kim et al., “Protective effect of saponins derived from the roots of Platycodon grandiflorum against carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity in mice,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1778–1785, 2008.
- C. Hierholzer, B. Harbrecht, J. M. Menezes et al., “Essential role of induced nitric oxide in the initiation of the inflammatory response after hemorrhagic shock,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 187, no. 6, pp. 917–928, 1998.
- X. M. Yin and W. X. Ding, “Death receptor activation-induced hepatocyte apoptosis and liver injury,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 491–508, 2003.
- H. Malhi, G. J. Gores, and J. J. Lemasters, “Apoptosis and necrosis in the liver: a tale of two deaths?” Hepatology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. S31–S44, 2006.
- H. Y. Shi, L. Dong, Y. H. Bai, J. H. Zhao, Y. Zhang, and L. Zhang, “Chlorogenic acid against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosis in rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 623, no. 1–3, pp. 119–124, 2009.
- D. R. Green and J. C. Reed, “Mitochondria and apoptosis,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5381, pp. 1309–1312, 1998.
- J. E. Chipuk, T. Kuwana, L. Bouchier-Hayes et al., “Direct activation of bax by p53 mediates mitochondrial membrane permeabilization and apoptosis,” Science, vol. 303, no. 5660, pp. 1010–1014, 2004.
- M. Mihara, S. Erster, A. Zaika et al., “p53 has a direct apoptogenic role at the mitochondria,” Molecular Cell, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 577–590, 2003.