- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 234987, 12 pages
Effects of Puerariae Radix Extract on Endotoxin Receptors and TNF- Expression Induced by Gut-Derived Endotoxin in Chronic Alcoholic Liver Injury
1Institute of Liver Diseases, Shuguang Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
2Key Laboratory of Liver and Kidney Diseases, Ministry of Education, of Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
3Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201203, China
4E-Institute of TCM Internal Medicine, Shanghai Municipal Education Commission, Shanghai 201203, China
Received 10 July 2012; Revised 10 September 2012; Accepted 10 September 2012
Academic Editor: Gerhard Litscher
Copyright © 2012 Jing-Hua Peng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. S. O'Shea, S. Dasarathy, and A. J. McCullough, “Alcoholic liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 51, no. 307, p. 328, 2010.
- X. Lu, M. Tao, J. Luo, Y. Geng, H. Zhao, and P. Zhao, “Epidemiology of alcohol and liver disease,” Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 467–468, 2002.
- I. Bykov, H. Järveläinen, and K. Lindros, “L-carnitine alleviates alcohol-induced liver damage in rats: role of tumour necrosis factor-alpha,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 400–406, 2003.
- M. Fischer, M. You, M. Matsumoto, and D. W. Crabb, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α (PPARα) agonist treatment reverses PPARα dysfunction and abnormalities in hepatic lipid metabolism in ethanol-fed mice,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 30, pp. 27997–28004, 2003.
- A. Galli, J. Pinaire, M. Fischer, R. Dorris, and D. W. Crabb, “The transcriptional and DNA binding activity of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α is inhibited by ethanol metabolism. A novel mechanism for the development of ethanol-induced fatty liver,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 2001.
- C. P. Day and O. F. W. James, “Hepatic steatosis: innocent bystander or guilty party?” Hepatology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1463–1466, 1998.
- M. R. Teli, C. P. Day, A. D. Burt, M. K. Bennett, and O. F. W. James, “Determinants of progression to cirrhosis or fibrosis in pure alcoholic fatty liver,” The Lancet, vol. 346, no. 8981, pp. 987–990, 1995.
- A. P. Bautista, “Neutrophilic infiltration in alcoholic hepatitis,” Alcohol, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 17–21, 2002.
- S. W. French, “Alcoholic hepatitis: inflammatory cell-mediated hepatocellular injury,” Alcohol, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 2002.
- A. M. Diehl, “Liver disease in alcohol abusers: clinical perspective,” Alcohol, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 2002.
- J. T. Galambos, “Natural history of alcoholic hepatitis. 3. Histological changes,” Gastroenterology, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1026–1035, 1972.
- R. K. Rao, A. Seth, and P. Sheth, “Recent advances in alcoholic liver disease I. Role of intestinal permeability and endotoxemia in alcoholic liver disease,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 286, no. 6, pp. G881–G884, 2004.
- D. Seth, P. S. Haber, W. K. Syn, A. M. Diehl, and C. P. Day, “Pathogenesis of alcohol-induced liver disease: classical concepts and recent advances,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1089–1105, 2011.
- G. L. Su, R. D. Klein, A. Aminlari et al., “Kupffer cell activation by lipopolysaccharide in rats: role for lipopolysaccharide binding protein and toll-like receptor 4,” Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 932–936, 2000.
- C. A. Bradham, J. Plümpe, M. P. Manns, D. A. Brenner, and C. Trautwein, “Mechanisms of hepatic toxicity. I. TNF-induced liver injury,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 275, no. 3, part 1, pp. G387–G392, 1998.
- W. M. Keung and B. L. Vallee, “Daidzin and daidzein suppress free-choice ethanol intake by Syrian golden hamsters,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 21, pp. 10008–10012, 1993.
- E. Benlhabib, J. I. Baker, D. E. Keyler, and A. K. Singh, “Kudzu root extract suppresses voluntary alcohol intake and alcohol withdrawal symptoms in P rats receiving free access to water and alcohol,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 168–179, 2004.
- R. C. Lin and T. K. Li, “Effects of isoflavones on alcohol pharmacokinetics and alcohol-drinking behavior in rats,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1512S–1515S, 1998.
- E. Benlhabib, J. I. Baker, D. E. Keyler, and A. K. Singh, “Effects of purified puerarin on voluntary alcohol intake and alcohol withdrawal symptoms in P rats receiving free access to water and alcohol,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 180–186, 2004.
- R. C. Lin, S. Guthrie, C. Y. Xie et al., “Isoflavonoid compounds extracted from Pueraria lobata suppress alcohol preference in a pharmacogenetic rat model of alcoholism,” Alcoholism, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 659–663, 1996.
- A. K. Singh, Y. Jiang, E. Benlhabib, and S. Gupta, “Herbal mixtures consisting of puerarin and either polyenylphosphatidylcholine or curcumin provide comprehensive protection against alcohol-related disorders in P rats receiving free choice water and 15% ethanol in pure water,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 526–542, 2007.
- D. H. Overstreet, J. E. Kralic, A. L. Morrow, Z. Z. Ma, Y. W. Zhang, and D. Y. W. Lee, “NPI-031G (puerarin) reduces anxiogenic effects of alcohol withdrawal or benzodiazepine inverse or 5-HT2C agonists,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 619–625, 2003.
- G. M. Heyman, W. M. Keung, and B. L. Vallee, “Daidzin decreases ethanol consumption in rats,” Alcoholism, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1083–1087, 1996.
- M. K. Lee, S. Y. Cho, J. Y. Jang et al., “Effects of puerariae flos and puerariae radix extracts on antioxidant enzymes in ethanol-treated rats,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 343–354, 2001.
- C. S. Lieber and L. M. DeCarli, “The feeding of alcohol in liquid diets: two decades of applications and 1982 update,” Alcoholism, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 523–531, 1982.
- Z. H. Fang, J. W. Cui, J. M. Cao, J. H. Peng, Q. Feng, and Y. Y. Hu, “Preparation of Lieber-DeCarli liquid diet induced alcoholic hepatic injury model in rats,” Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 596–600, 2006.
- J. H. Peng, Y. Y. Hu, Y. Cheng et al., “Effect of JIANPI HUOXUE decoction on inflammatory cytokine secretion pathway in rat liver with lipopolysaccharide challenge,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1851–1857, 2008.
- J. C. Lambert, Z. Zhou, L. Wang, Z. Song, C. J. McClain, and Y. J. Kang, “Prevention of alterations in intestinal permeability is involved in zinc inhibition of acute ethanol-induced liver damage in mice,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 305, no. 3, pp. 880–886, 2003.
- J. H. Peng, Y. Y. Hu, Q. Feng et al., “Effect of Jianpi Huoxue decoction-containing serum on tumor necrosis factor-α secretion and gene expression of endotoxin receptors in RAW264.7 cells induced by lipopolysaccharide,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 198–203, 2009.
- S. S. Rabinowitz and S. Gordon, “Macrosialin, a macrophage-restricted membrane sialoprotein differentially glycosylated in response to inflammatory stimuli,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 174, no. 4, pp. 827–836, 1991.
- G. L. Su, P. D. Freeswick, D. A. Geller et al., “Molecular cloning, characterization, and tissue distribution of rat lipopolysaccharide binding protein: evidence for extrahepatic expression,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 743–752, 1994.
- W. M. Keung, A. A. Klyosov, and B. L. Vallee, “Daidzin inhibits mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase and suppresses ethanol intake of Syrian golden hamsters,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1675–1679, 1997.
- W. M. Keung and B. L. Vallee, “Daidzin and its antidipsotropic analogs inhibit serotonin and dopamine metabolism in isolated mitochondria,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 2198–2203, 1998.
- N. Rooke, D. J. Li, J. Li, and W. M. Keung, “The mitochondrial monoamine oxidase-aldehyde dehydrogenase pathway: a potential site of action of daidzin,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 22, pp. 4169–4179, 2000.
- W. M. Keung, “Biogenic aldehyde(s) derived from the action of monoamine oxidase may mediate the antidipsotropic effect of daidzin,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 130–132, pp. 919–930, 2001.
- M. P. Arolfo, D. H. Overstreet, L. Yao et al., “Suppression of heavy drinking and alcohol seeking by a selective ALDH-2 inhibitor,” Alcoholism, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1935–1944, 2009.
- M. Zhao, Y. Q. Du, L. Yuan, and N. N. Wang, “Protective effect of puerarin on acute alcoholic liver injury,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 241–249, 2010.
- Z. Zhang, S. Li, J. Jiang, P. Yu, J. Liang, and Y. Wang, “Preventive effects of Flos Perariae (Gehua) water extract and its active ingredient puerarin in rodent alcoholism models,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 5, article 36, 2010.
- S. Zhang, G. Ji, and J. Liu, “Reversal of chemical-induced liver fibrosis in Wistar rats by puerarin,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 485–491, 2006.
- R. R. Schumann, “Function of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-binding protein (LBP) and CD14, the receptor for LPS/LBP complexes: a short review,” Research in Immunology, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 11–15, 1992.
- C. Elsing, S. Ernst, N. Kayali, W. Stremmel, and S. Harenberg, “Lipopolysaccharide binding protein, interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein in acute gastrointestinal infections: value as biomarkers to reduce unnecessary antibiotic therapy,” Infection, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 327–331, 2011.
- K. Triantafilou, M. Triantafilou, and R. L. Dedrick, “Interactions of bacterial lipopolysaccharide and peptidoglycan with a 70 kDa and an 80 kDa protein on the cell surface of CD14+ and CD14-cells,” Human Immunology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 50–63, 2001.
- G. L. Su, “Lipopolysaccharides in liver injury: molecular mechanisms of Kupffer cell activation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. G256–G265, 2002.
- T. Uesugi, M. Froh, G. E. Arteel, B. U. Bradford, and R. G. Thurman, “Toll-like receptor 4 is involved in the mechanism of early alcohol-induced liver injury in mice,” Hepatology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 101–108, 2001.
- R. Shimazu, S. Akashi, H. Ogata et al., “MD-2, a molecule that confers lipopolysaccharide responsiveness on toll-like receptor 4,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 189, no. 11, pp. 1777–1782, 1999.
- S. Akira, K. Takeda, and T. Kaisho, “Toll-like receptors: critical proteins linking innate and acquired immunity,” Nature Immunology, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 675–680, 2001.
- R. Dziarski, Q. Wang, K. Miyake, C. J. Kirschning, and D. Gupta, “MD-2 enables toll-like receptor 2 (TLR2)-mediated responses to lipopolysaccharide and enhances TLR2-mediated responses to Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria and their cell wall components,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 1938–1944, 2001.
- S. Liu, A. N. Salyapongse, D. A. Geller, Y. Vodovotz, and T. R. Billiar, “Hepatocyte toll-like receptor 2 expression in vivo and in vitro: role of cytokines in induction of rat TLR2 gene expression by lipopolysaccharide,” Shock, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 361–365, 2000.