- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 239856, 6 pages
Significant Increase in Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes and Natural Killer Cells by Triphala: A Clinical Phase I Study
1Faculty of Medicine, Thammasat University, Pathumthani 12121, Thailand
2Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
3Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Received 8 September 2012; Accepted 30 October 2012
Academic Editor: Byung-Cheul Shin
Copyright © 2012 Pratya Phetkate et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- UNAIDS, Global report, UNAIDS report on the global AIDS epidemic/2010, http://www.unaids.org/globalreport/documents/20101123_GlobalReport_full_en.
- M. T. May and S. M. Inqle, “Life expectancy of HIV-positive adults: a review,” Sex Health, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 526–533, 2011.
- S. Kottilil, T. W. Chun, S. Moir et al., “Innate immunity in human immunodeficiency virus infection: effect of viremia on natural killer cell function,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 187, no. 7, pp. 1038–1045, 2003.
- Y. Qi, M. P. Martin, X. Gao et al., “KIR/HLA pleiotropism: protection against both HIV and opportunistic infections,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 2, no. 8, p. e79, 2006.
- R. N. Sonkar RMishra, “Immunomodulatory activity of Triphala megaext,” International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 575–578, 2011.
- P. K. Mukherjee, S. Rai, S. Bhattacharyya et al., “Clinical study of “Triphala”—a well known phytomedicine from India,” Iranian Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 51–54, 2006.
- A. Sharma and K. K. Sharma, “Chemoprotective role of triphala against 1,2-dimethylhydrazine dihydrochloride induced carcinogenic damage to mouse liver,” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 290–295, 2011.
- E. P. Sabina, M. K. Rasool, and L. Mathew, “In vivo and in vitro immunomodulatory effects of Indian ayurvedic herbal formulation triphala on experimental induced inflammation,” Pharmacologyonline, vol. 2, pp. 840–849, 2009.
- L. Russell, E. Mazzio, R. Badisa, et al., “Differential cytotoxicity of Triphala and its phenolic constituent gallic acid on human prostate cancer LNCap and normal cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 3739–3745, 2011.
- Y. Shi, R. P. Sahu, and S. K. Srivastava, “Triphala inhibits both in vitro and in vivo xenograft growth of pancreatic tumor cells by inducing apoptosis,” BMC Cancer, vol. 8, article 294, 2008.
- T. Sandhya, K. M. Lathika, B. N. Pandey, and K. P. Mishra, “Potential of traditional ayurvedic formulation, Triphala, as a novel anticancer drug,” Cancer Letters, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 206–214, 2006.
- K. Lu, D. Chakroborty, C. Sarkar et al., “Triphala and its active constituent chebulinic acid are natural inhibitors of vascular endothelial growth factor-a mediated angiogenesis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 8, Article ID e43934, 2012.
- R. Srikumar, N. Jeya Parthasarathy, and R. Sheela Devi, “Immunomodulatory activity of triphala on neutrophil functions,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1398–1403, 2005.
- The Institute of Thai Traditional Medicine and Ministry of Public Health, List of Herbal Medicinal Products A.D., 2011, http://www.nlem.in.th/sites/default/files/herbal_book.pdf.
- T. Vermeire, M. Pieters, M. Rennen, and P. Bos, “Probabilistic assessment factors for human health risk assessment. A practical guide,” RIVM Report 601516005, 2001, http://rivm.openrepository.com/rivm/bitstream/10029/9560/1/601516005.pdf.
- L. Meyaard, S. A. Otto, B. Hooibrink, and F. Miedema, “Quantitative analysis of CD4+ T cell function in the course of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Gradual decline of both naive and memory alloreactive T cells,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1947–1952, 1994.
- N. Gulzar and K. F. T. Copeland, “CD8+ T-cells: function and response to HIV infection,” Current HIV Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 23–37, 2004.
- D. Mavilio, J. Benjamin, M. Daucher et al., “Natural killer cells in HIV-1 infection: dichotomous effects of viremia on inhibitory and activating receptors and their functional correlates,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 25, pp. 15011–15016, 2003.
- E. Singh, S. Sharma, A. Pareek, J. Dwivedi, S. Yadav, and S. Sharma, “Phytochemistry, traditional uses and cancer chemopreventive activity of Amla (Phyllanthus emblica): the sustainer,” Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 176–183, 2011.
- S. Huabprasert, K. Kasetsinsombat, K. Kangsadalampai, et al., “The Phyllanthus emblica L. infusion carries immunostimulatory activity in a mouse model,” Journal of The Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 95, supplement 2, pp. S75–S82, 2012.
- H. Liu, L. Zhang, and S. Lu, “Evaluation of antioxidant and immunity activities of quercetin in isoproterenol-treated rats,” Molecules, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 4281–4291, 2012.
- E. S. Wintergerst, S. Maggini, and D. H. Hornig, “Immune-enhancing role of Vitamin C and zinc and effect on clinical conditions,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 85–94, 2006.
- V. Aher and A. Wahi, “Immunomodulatory activity of alcohol extract of Terminalia chebula Retz Combretaceae,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 567–575, 2011.
- D. V. SuryaPrakash, N. Sree Satya, A. Sumanjali, and V. Meena, “Pharmacological review on Terminalia chebula,” International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 679–683, 2012.
- A. Saraphanchotiwitthaya, P. Sirpalakit, and K. Ingkaninan, “Effects of Terminalia bellerica Roxb. Methanolic extract on mouse immune response in vitro,” Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 400–407, 2008.
- A. W. Chung, M. Navis, G. Isitman et al., “Activation of NK cells by ADCC responses during early HIV infection,” Viral Immunology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 2011.
- L. L. Baum, “Role of humoral immunity in host defense against HIV,” Current HIV/AIDS Reports, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2010.
- G. Isitman, I. Stratov, and S. Kent, “Antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity and NK cell-driven immune escape in HIV infection: implications for HIV vaccine development,” Advances in Virology, vol. 2012, Article ID 637208, 8 pages, 2012.
- A. Facciabene, G. Motz, and G. Coukos, “T-regulatory cells: key players in tumor immune escape and angiogenesis,” Cancer Research, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. 2162–2171, 2012.
- M. Moreno-Fernandez, C. M. Rueda, L. Rusie, and C. A. Chougnet, “Regulatory T cells control HIV replication in activated T cells through a cAMP-dependent mechanism,” Blood, vol. 117, no. 20, pp. 5372–5380, 2011.
- S. Schoenberger, “CD69 guides CD4+ T cells to the seat of memory,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 109, no. 22, pp. 8358–8359, 2012.