- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 240314, 8 pages
Effects of Somatothermal Far-Infrared Ray on Primary Dysmenorrhea: A Pilot Study
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung 40705, Taiwan
2Department of Applied Cosmetology and Master Program of Cosmetic Science, Hungkuang University, Taichung 43302, Taiwan
Received 27 June 2012; Revised 26 November 2012; Accepted 29 November 2012
Academic Editor: R. Govindarajan
Copyright © 2012 Yu-Min Ke et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. French, “Dysmenorrhea,” American Family Physician, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 2005.
- M. A. Burnett, V. Antao, A. Black et al., “Prevalence of primary dysmenorrhea in Canada,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 765–770, 2005.
- G. Eryilmaz and F. Ozdemir, “Evaluation of Menstrual Pain Management Approaches by Northeastern Anatolian Adolescents,” Pain Management Nursing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 2009.
- M. Y. Dawood, “Primary dysmenorrhea: advances in pathogenesis and management,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 428–441, 2006.
- J. Marjoribanks, M. Proctor, C. Farquhar, and R. S. Derks, “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for dysmenorrhoea,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD001751, 2010.
- M. L. Proctor, C. A. Smith, C. M. Farquhar, and R. W. Stones, “Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD002123, 2002.
- H. M. Chen and C. H. Chen, “Effects of acupressure at the Sanyinjiao point on primary dysmenorrhoea,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 380–387, 2004.
- S. H. Han, M. H. Hur, J. Buckle, J. Choi, and M. S. Lee, “Effect of aromatherapy on symptoms of dysmenorrhea in college students: a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 535–541, 2006.
- J. D. Adams and C. Garcia, “Women's health among the Chumash,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 125–131, 2006.
- E. M. Jun, S. Chang, D. H. Kang, and S. Kim, “Effects of acupressure on dysmenorrhea and skin temperature changes in college students: a non-randomized controlled trial,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 973–981, 2007.
- N. Tugay, T. Akbayrak, F. Demirtürk et al., “Effectiveness of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and interferential current in primary dysmenorrhea,” Pain Medicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 295–300, 2007.
- J. F. Cheng, Z. Y. J. Lu, Y. C. Su, L. C. Chiang, and R. Y. Wang, “A traditional Chinese herbal medicine used to treat dysmenorrhoea among Taiwanese women,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 2588–2595, 2008.
- V. Iorno, R. Burani, B. Bianchini, E. Minelli, F. Martinelli, and S. Ciatto, “Acupuncture treatment of dysmenorrhea resistant to conventional medical treatment,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 227–230, 2008.
- M. D. Akin, K. W. Weingand, D. A. Hengehold, M. B. Goodale, R. T. Hinkle, and R. P. Smith, “Continuous low-level topical heat in the treatment of dysmenorrhea,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 343–349, 2001.
- S. F. Nadler, D. J. Steiner, G. N. Erasala, D. A. Hengehold, S. B. Abeln, and K. W. Weingand, “Continuous low-level heatwrap therapy for treating acute nonspecific low back pain,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 329–334, 2003.
- C. A. Smith, C. A. Crowther, O. Petrucco, J. Beilby, and H. Dent, “Acupuncture to treat primary dysmenorrhea in women: a randomized controlled trial,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 612464, 11 pages, 2011.
- D. Taylor, C. Miaskowski, and J. Kohn, “A randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of an acupressure device (Relief Brief) for managing symptoms of dysmenorrhea,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 357–370, 2002.
- S. Y. Yu, J. H. Chiu, S. D. Yang, Y. C. Hsu, W. Y. Lui, and C. W. Wu, “Biological effect of far-infrared therapy on increasing skin microcirculation in rats,” Photodermatology Photoimmunology and Photomedicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 78–86, 2006.
- T. K. Leung, C. M. Lee, M. Y. Lin et al., “Far infrared ray irradiation induces intracellular generation of nitric oxide in breast cancer cells,” Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 15–18, 2009.
- T. K. Leung, Y. S. Lin, Y. C. Chen et al., “Immunomodulatory effects of far-infrared ray irradiation via increasing calmodulin and nitric oxide production in raw 264.7 macrophages,” Biomedical Engineering, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 317–323, 2009.
- T. K. Leung, H. F. Shang, D. C. Chen et al., “Effects of far infrared rays on hydrogen peroxide-scavenging capacity,” Biomedical Engineering, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2011.
- T. K. Leung, Y. S. Lin, C. M. Lee et al., “Direct and indirect effects of ceramic far infrared radiation on the hydrogen peroxide-scavenging capacity and on murine macrophages under oxidative stress,” Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 345–351, 2011.
- T. K. Leung, C. F. Chan, P. S. Lai, C. H. Yang, C. Y. Hsu, and Y. S. Lin, “Inhibitory effects of far-infrared irradiation generated by ceramic material on murine melanoma cell growth,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 646845, 8 pages, 2012.
- B. H. Yoo, C. M. Park, T. J. Oh, S. H. Han, H. H. Kang, and I. S. Chang, “Investigation of jewelry powders radiating far-infrared rays and the biological effects on human skin,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 175–184, 2002.
- G. D. Ko and D. Berbrayer, “Effect of ceramic-impregnated “thermoflow” gloves on patients with Raynaud's syndrome: randomized, placebo-controlled study,” Alternative Medicine Review, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 327–335, 2002.
- M. H. Shim, C. H. Park, and H. S. Shim, “Effect of ceramics on the physical and thermo-physiological performance of warm-up suit,” Textile Research Journal, vol. 79, no. 17, pp. 1557–1564, 2009.
- H. Toyokawa, Y. Matsui, J. Uhara et al., “Promotive effects of far-infrared ray on full-thickness skin wound healing in rats,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 228, no. 6, pp. 724–729, 2003.
- J. F. Tsai, S. Hsiao, and S. Y. Wang, “Infrared irradiation has potential antidepressant effect,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1397–1400, 2007.
- J. Ishibashi, K. Yamashita, T. Ishikawa et al., “The effects inhibiting the proliferation of cancer cells by far-infrared radiation (FIR) are controlled by the basal expression level of heat shock protein (HSP) 70A,” Medical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 229–237, 2008.
- C. H. Lee, J. W. Roh, C. Y. Lim, J. H. Hong, J. K. Lee, and E. G. Min, “A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of a far infrared-emitting sericite belt in patients with primary dysmenorrhea,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 187–193, 2011.
- B. Y. Liau, T. K. Leung, M. C. Ou, C. K. Ho, A. Yang, and Y. S. Lin, “Inhibitory effects of far-infrared ray emitting belts on primary dysmenorrhea,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 238468, 6 pages, 2012.
- A. M. Hug, T. Schmidts, J. Kuhlmann, D. Segger, G. Fotopoulos, and J. Heinzerling, “Skin hydration and cooling effect produced by the Voltaren vehicle gel,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 199–206, 2011.
- A. Fauconnier, E. Dallongeville, C. Huchon, Y. Ville, and B. Falissard, “Measurement of acute pelvic pain intensity in gynecology: a comparison of five methods,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 260–269, 2009.
- C. Brunelli, E. Zecca, C. Martini et al., “Comparison of numerical and verbal rating scales to measure pain exacerbations in patients with chronic cancer pain,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 8, article 42, 2010.
- N. J. Raine-Fenning, B. K. Campbell, N. R. Kendall, J. S. Clewes, and I. R. Jonhson, “Quantifying the changes in endometrial vascularity throughout the normal menstrual cycle with three-dimensional power Doppler angiography,” Human Reproduction, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 330–338, 2004.
- Y. H. Hsu, Y. C. Chen, T. H. Chen, et al., “Far-infrared therapy induces the nuclear translocation of PLZF which inhibits VEGF-induced proliferation in human umbilical vein endothelial cells,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e30674, 2012.
- A. Contestabile, “Targeting nitric oxide for tumor therapy,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 378–380, 2010.
- D. K. Ghosh, K. Ray, A. J. Rogers, N. J. Nahm, and J. C. Salerno, “FMN fluorescence in iNOS constructs reveals a series of conformational states involved in the reductase catalytic cycle,” Federation of European Biochemical Societies Journal, vol. 279, no. 7, pp. 1306–1317, 2012.
- K. U. Domek-Łopacińska and J. B. Strosznajder, “Cyclic GMP and nitric oxide synthase in aging and alzheimer's disease,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 41, no. 2-3, pp. 129–137, 2010.
- I. H. Wei, H. C. Tu, C. C. Huang, M. H. Tsai, C. Y. Tseng, and J. Y. Shieh, “(-)-Epigallocatechin gallate attenuates NADPH-d/nNOS expression in motor neurons of rats following peripheral nerve injury,” BMC Neuroscience, vol. 12, article 52, 2011.
- B. Nossaman, E. Pankey, and P. Kadowitz, “Stimulators and activators of soluble guanylate cyclase: review and potential therapeutic indications,” Critical Care Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 290805, 12 pages, 2012.
- K. H. Yuill, A. J. McNeish, Y. Kansui, C. J. Garland, and K. A. Dora, “Nitric oxide suppresses cerebral vasomotion by sgc-independent effects on ryanodine receptors and voltage-gated calcium channels,” Journal of Vascular Research, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 93–107, 2010.
- J. L. Zweier, C. A. Chen, and L. J. Druhan, “S-glutathionylation reshapes our understanding of endothelial nitric oxide synthase uncoupling and nitric oxide/reactive oxygen species-mediated signaling,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1769–1775, 2011.
- J. Kopincová, A. Púzserová, and I. Bernátová, “Biochemical aspects of nitric oxide synthase feedback regulation by nitric oxide,” Interdisciplinary Toxicology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 63–68, 2011.
- H. P. Zahradnik, A. Hanjalic-Beck, and K. Groth, “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and hormonal contraceptives for pain relief from dysmenorrhea: a review,” Contraception, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 185–196, 2010.
- T. K. Leung, C. H. Chen, C. H. Lai, et al., “Bone and joint protection ability of ceramic material with biological effects,” Chinese Journal of Physiology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2012.
- T. K. Leung, Y. C. Liu, C. H. Chen, H. N. Fang, K. C. Chen, and C. M. Lee, “In vitro cell study of the possible anti-inflammatory and pain relief mechanism of far-infrared ray emitting ceramic material (BIOCERAMIC),” Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering. In press.
- M. A. Fortier, K. Krishnaswamy, G. Danyod, S. Boucher-Kovalik, and P. Chapdelaine, “A postgenomic integratred view of prostaglandins in reproduction: implications for other body systems,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 65–89, 2008.
- T. Hosono, Y. Takashima, Y. Morita et al., “Effects of a heat- and steam-generating sheet on relieving symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea in young women,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 818–824, 2010.