- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 271606, 15 pages
Beneficial Effect of Shikonin on Experimental Colitis Induced by Dextran Sulfate Sodium in Balb/C Mice
1Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultat de Farmàcia, Universitat de València, Burjassot, 46100 Valencia, Spain
2Departamento de Patologia, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de València, 46100 Valencia, Spain
Received 2 October 2012; Accepted 3 December 2012
Academic Editor: Cassandra L. Quave
Copyright © 2012 Isabel Andújar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Kornbluth and D. B. Sachar, “Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults: American college of gastroenterology, practice parameters committee,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 501–523, 2010.
- E. F. Stange, S. P. L. Travis, S. Vermeire et al., “European evidence-based Consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis: definitions and diagnosis,” Journal of Crohn's and Colitis, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–23, 2008.
- S. Ghosh and R. Mitchell, “Impact of inflammatory bowel disease on quality of life: results of the European Federation of Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis Associations (EFCCA) patient survey,” Journal of Crohn's and Colitis, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 10–20, 2007.
- P. L. Lakatos, “Recent trends in the epidemiology of inflammatory bowel diseases: up or down?” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 38, pp. 6102–6108, 2006.
- D. K. Bonen and J. H. Cho, “The genetics of inflammatory bowel disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 521–536, 2003.
- E. Cario, “Barrier-protective function of intestinal epithelial Toll-like receptor 2,” Mucosal Immunology, vol. 1, no. 1, supplement, pp. S62–S66, 2008.
- P. López-Serrano, J. L. Pérez-Calle, M. T. Pérez-Fernández, J. M. Fernández-Font, D. M. Boixeda, and C. M. Fernández-Rodríguez, “Environmental risk factors in inflammatory bowel diseases. Investigating the hygiene hypothesis: a Spanish case-control study,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1464–1471, 2010.
- C. N. Bernstein, J. F. Blanchard, P. Rawsthorne, and N. Yu, “The prevalence of extraintestinal diseases in inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1116–1122, 2001.
- C. N. Bernstein, A. Wajda, and J. F. Blanchard, “The clustering of other chronic inflammatory diseases in inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 827–836, 2005.
- P. L. Lakatos and L. Lakatos, “Risk for colorectal cancer in ulcerative colitis: changes, causes and management strategies,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 25, pp. 3937–3947, 2008.
- F. Sánchez-Muñoz, A. Domínguez-López, and J. K. Yamamoto-Furusho, “Role of cytokines in inflammatory bowel disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 27, pp. 4280–4288, 2008.
- G. Bouguen, J. B. Chevaux, and L. Peyrin-Biroulet, “Recent advances in cytokines: therapeutic implications for inflammatory bowel diseases,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 547–556, 2011.
- S. Sánchez-Fidalgo, A. Cárdeno, I. Villegas, E. Talero, and C. A. de la Lastra, “Dietary supplementation of resveratrol attenuates chronic colonic inflammation in mice,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 633, no. 1–3, pp. 78–84, 2010.
- I. Atreya, R. Atreya, and M. F. Neurath, “NF-κB in inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 263, no. 6, pp. 591–596, 2008.
- K. H. Kwon, A. Murakami, T. Tanaka, and H. Ohigashi, “Dietary rutin, but not its aglycone quercetin, ameliorates dextran sulfate sodium-induced experimental colitis in mice: attenuation of pro-inflammatory gene expression,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 395–406, 2005.
- M. C. Recio, I. Andújar, and J. L. Rios, “Anti-inflammatory agents from plants: progress and potential,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 14, pp. 2088–2103, 2012.
- S. Maity, A. Ukil, S. Karmakar et al., “Thearubigin, the major polyphenol of black tea, ameliorates mucosal injury in trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid-induced colitis,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 470, no. 1-2, pp. 103–112, 2003.
- K. Sugimoto, H. Hanai, K. Tozawa et al., “Curcumin prevents and ameliorates trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid-induced colitis in mice,” Gastroenterology, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 1912–1922, 2002.
- H. M. M. Arafa, R. A. Hemeida, A. I. M. El-Bahrawy, and F. M. A. Hamada, “Prophylactic role of curcumin in dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced ulcerative colitis murine model,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1311–1317, 2009.
- R. González, I. Ballester, R. López-Posadas et al., “Effects of flavonoids and other polyphenols on inflammation,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 331–362, 2011.
- V. P. Papageorgiou, A. N. Assimopoulou, E. A. Couladouros, D. Hepworth, and K. C. Nicolaou, “The chemistry and biology of alkannin, shikonin, and related naphthazarin natural products,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 38, pp. 270–300, 1999.
- W. Tan, J. Lu, M. Huang et al., “Anti-cancer natural products isolated from chinese medicinal herbs,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 6, article 27, 2011.
- Y. Q. Zeng, Identificación y actividad farmacológica de principios de especies antiinflamatorias [Tesis Doctoral], Universidad de Valencia, 2006.
- I. Andújar, M. C. Recio, T. Bacelli, R. M. Giner, and J. L. Ríos, “Shikonin reduces oedema induced by phorbol ester by interfering with IκBα degradation thus inhibiting translocation of NF-κB to the nucleus,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 376–388, 2010.
- H. S. Cooper, S. N. S. Murthy, R. S. Shah, and D. J. Sedergran, “Clinicopathologic study of dextran sulfate sodium experimental murine colitis,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 238–250, 1993.
- H. Tamaki, H. Nakamura, A. Nishio et al., “Human thioredoxin-1 ameliorates experimental murine colitis in association with suppressed macrophage inhibitory factor production,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 4, pp. 1110–1121, 2006.
- K. Suzuki, H. Ota, S. Sasagawa, T. Sakatani, and T. Fujikura, “Assay method for myeloperoxidase in human polymorphonuclear leukocytes,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 345–352, 1983.
- B. Siegmund, H. A. Lehr, G. Fantuzzi, and C. A. Dinarello, “IL-1β-converting enzyme (caspase-1) in intestinal inflammation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 23, pp. 13249–13254, 2001.
- M. B. Grisham, G. G. Johnson, and J. R. Lancaster Jr., “Quantitation of nitrate and nitrite in extracellular fluids,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 268, pp. 237–246, 1996.
- A. R. Jurjus, N. N. Khoury, and J. M. Reimund, “Animal models of inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 81–92, 2004.
- K. A. Papadakis and S. R. Targan, “Role of cytokines in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 51, pp. 289–298, 2000.
- Q. Dai, J. Fang, and F. S. Zhang, “Dual role of shikonin in early and late stages of collagen type II arthritis,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1597–1604, 2009.
- J. S. Alexander, G. V. Chaitanya, M. B. Grisham, and M. Boktor, “Emerging roles of lymphatics in inflammatory bowel disease,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1207, supplement 1, pp. E75–E85, 2010.
- S. Ghosh and M. S. Hayden, “New regulators of NF-κB in inflammation,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 837–848, 2008.
- S. Schreiber, S. Nikolaus, and J. Hampe, “Activation of nuclear factor κB inflammatory bowel disease,” Gut, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 477–484, 1998.
- G. Rogler, K. Brand, D. Vogl et al., “Nuclear factor κB is activated in macrophages and epithelial cells of inflamed intestinal mucosa,” Gastroenterology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 357–369, 1998.
- M. F. Neurath, S. Pettersson, K. H. Meyer Zum Büschenfelde, and W. Strober, “Local administration of antisense phosphorothioate oligonucleotides to the p65 subunit of NF-κB abrogates established experimental colitis in mice,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 998–1004, 1996.
- A. K. Spiik, A. Ridderstad, L. G. Axelsson, T. Midtvedt, L. Björk, and S. Pettersson, “Abrogated lymphocyte infiltration and lowered CD14 in dextran sulfate induced colitis in mice treated with p65 antisense oligonucleotides,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 223–232, 2002.
- S. Fichtner-Feigl, I. J. Fuss, J. C. Preise, W. Strober, and A. Kitani, “Treatment of murine Th1- and Th2-mediated inflammatory bowel disease with NF-κB decoy oligonucleotides,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 11, pp. 3057–3071, 2005.
- J. Y. Xiang, L. G. Wu, X. L. Huang et al., “Amelioration of murine dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis by nuclear factor-κb decoy oligonucleotides,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 197, no. 6, pp. 797–805, 2009.
- M. Murano, K. Maemura, I. Hirata et al., “Therapeutic effect of intracolonically administered nuclear factor κB (p65) antisense oligonucleotide on mouse dextran sulphate sodium (DSS)- induced colitis,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2000.
- S. C. Chiu, S. W. Tsao, P. I. Hwang, S. Vanisree, Y. A. Chen, and N. S. Yang, “Differential functional genomic effects of anti-inflammatory phytocompounds on immune signaling,” BMC Genomics, vol. 11, no. 1, article 513, 2010.
- L. Lu, A. Qin, H. Huang et al., “Shikonin extracted from medicinal Chinese herbs exerts anti-inflammatory effect via proteasome inhibition,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 658, no. 2-3, pp. 242–247, 2011.
- Y. Fan, Y. L. Zhang, Y. Wu et al., “Inhibition of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 expression by RNA interference suppresses invasion through inducing anoikis in human colon cancer cells,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 428–434, 2008.
- J. Mudter, B. Weigmann, B. Bartsch et al., “Activation pattern of signal transducers and activators of transcription (STAT) factors in inflammatory bowel diseases,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 64–72, 2005.
- R. Atreya and M. F. Neurath, “Signaling molecules: the pathogenic role of the IL-6/STAT-3 trans signaling pathway in intestinal inflammation and in colonic cancer,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 369–374, 2008.
- Y. Li, C. de Haar, M. P. Peppelenbosch, and C. J. van der Woude, “New insights into the role of STAT3 in IBD,” Inflammatory Bowel Disease, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1177–1183, 2012.
- P. Lovato, C. Brender, J. Agnholt et al., “Constitutive STAT3 activation in intestinal T cells from patients with Crohn's disease,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 19, pp. 16777–16781, 2003.
- K. Suzuki, K. Sugimura, K. Hasegawa et al., “Activated platelets in ulcerative colitis enhance the production of reactive oxygen species by polymorphonuclear leukocytes,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1301–1306, 2001.
- A. P. Bai, P. J. Hu, J. Chen et al., “Blockade of STAT3 by antisense oligonucleotide in TNBS-induced murine colitis,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 625–635, 2007.
- C. Abraham and R. Medzhitov, “Interactions between the host innate immune system and microbes in inflammatory bowel disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1729–1737, 2011.
- H. M. Kuo, T. C. Hsia, Y. C. Chuang, H. F. Lu, S. Y. Lin, and J. G. Chung, “Shikonin inhibits the growth and N-acetylation of 2-aminofluorene in Helicobacter pylori from ulcer patients,” Anticancer Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1587–1592, 2004.