- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 278652, 12 pages
The Cytotoxicity Mechanism of 6-Shogaol-Treated HeLa Human Cervical Cancer Cells Revealed by Label-Free Shotgun Proteomics and Bioinformatics Analysis
State Key Laboratory of Natural Medicines, Department of Pharmacognosy, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210009, China
Received 26 July 2012; Revised 24 September 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editor: Shrikant Anant
Copyright © 2012 Qun Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- T. Ota, N. Takeshima, T. Tabata, K. Hasumi, and K. Takizawa, “Treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix with radiation therapy alone: long-term survival, late complications, and incidence of second cancers,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. 1058–1062, 2007.
- N. Pabla and Z. Dong, “Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: mechanisms and renoprotective strategies,” Kidney International, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 994–1007, 2008.
- C. M. Kaefer and J. A. Milner, “The role of herbs and spices in cancer prevention,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 347–361, 2008.
- T. Dorai and B. B. Aggarwal, “Role of chemopreventive agents in cancer therapy,” Cancer Letters, vol. 215, no. 2, pp. 129–140, 2004.
- J. Y. U. Hung, Y. A. L. Hsu, C. T. Li et al., “6-shogaol, an active constituent of dietary ginger, induces autophagy by inhibiting the AKT/mTOR pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer A549 cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 20, pp. 9809–9816, 2009.
- F. F. Gan, A. A. Nagle, X. Ang et al., “Shogaols at proapoptotic concentrations induce G2/M arrest and aberrant mitotic cell death associated with tubulin aggregation,” Apoptosis, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 856–867, 2011.
- V. Brusic, O. Marina, C. J. Wu, and E. L. Reinherz, “Proteome informatics for cancer research: from molecules to clinic,” Proteomics, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 976–991, 2007.
- L. Liao, D. B. McClatchy, and J. R. Yates, “Shotgun proteomics in neuroscience,” Neuron, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 12–26, 2009.
- D. J. Johann Jr., M. D. McGuigan, A. R. Patel et al., “Clinical proteomics and biomarker discovery,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1022, pp. 295–305, 2004.
- W. Wang, C. Y. Li, X. D. Wen, P. Li, and L. W. Qi, “Simultaneous determination of 6-gingerol, 8-gingerol, 10-gingerol and 6-shogaol in rat plasma by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry: application to pharmacokinetics,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 877, no. 8-9, pp. 671–679, 2009.
- C. Z. Wang, B. Zhang, W. X. Song et al., “Steamed American ginseng berry: ginsenoside analyses and anticancer activities,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 26, pp. 9936–9942, 2006.
- H. Nakajima, H. L. Park, and P. A. Henkart, “Synergistic roles of granzymes A and B in mediating target cell death by rat basophilic leukemia mast cell tumors also expressing cytolysin/perforin,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 181, no. 3, pp. 1037–1046, 1995.
- I. Nicoletti, G. Migliorati, M. C. Pagliacci, F. Grignani, and C. Riccardi, “A rapid and simple method for measuring thymocyte apoptosis by propidium iodide staining and flow cytometry,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 271–279, 1991.
- N. Gao, M. Rahmani, X. Shi, P. Dent, and S. Grant, “Synergistic antileukemic interactions between 2-medroxyestradiol (2-ME) and histone deacetylase inhibitors involve Akt down-regulation and oxidative stress,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 241–249, 2006.
- C. A. Belmokhtar, J. Híllion, and E. Segal-Bendirdjian, “Staurosporine induces apoptosis through both caspase-dependent and caspase-independent mechanisms,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 26, pp. 3354–3362, 2001.
- Y.-B. Peng, P. Zhou, C. Chu et al., “Proteomic Analysis for Malonylastragaloside I in U937 Leukemia Cells by Modified Label-free Quantitative Strategy with LC Chip Q-TOF MS/MS,” Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 305–316, 2011.
- P. D. Thomas, A. Kejariwal, N. Guo et al., “Applications for protein sequence-function evolution data: mRNA/protein expression analysis and coding SNP scoring tools,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 34, pp. W645–W650, 2006.
- L. J. Jensen, M. Kuhn, M. Stark et al., “STRING 8—a global view on proteins and their functional interactions in 630 organisms,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. D412–D416, 2009.
- M. S. Cline, M. Smoot, E. Cerami et al., “Integration of biological networks and gene expression data using Cytoscape,” Nature Protocols, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 2366–2382, 2007.
- B. Ganter and C. N. Giroux, “Emerging applications of network and pathway analysis in drug discovery and development,” Current Opinion in Drug Discovery and Development, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 86–94, 2008.
- J. K. Brunelle and A. Letai, “Control of mitochondrial apoptosis by the Bcl-2 family,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 437–441, 2009.
- S. J. Riedl and G. S. Salvesen, “The apoptosome: signalling platform of cell death,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 405–413, 2007.
- X. Chen, J. Y. C. Wong, P. Wong, and E. H. Radany, “Low-dose valproic acid enhances radiosensitivity of prostate cancer through acetylated p53-dependent modulation of mitochondrial membrane potential and apoptosis,” Molecular Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 448–461, 2011.
- X. L. Cheng, Q. Liu, Y.-B. Peng, L. W. Qi, and P. Li, “Steamed ginger (Zingiber officinale): changed chemical profile and increased anticancer potential,” Food Chemistry, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 1785–1792, 2011.
- C. J. Weng, C. F. Wu, H. W. Huang, C. T. Ho, and G. C. Yen, “Anti-invasion effects of 6-shogaol and 6-gingerol, two active components in ginger, on human hepatocarcinoma cells,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 1618–1627, 2010.
- M. H. Pan, M. C. Hsieh, J. M. Kuo et al., “6-Shogaol induces apoptosis in human colorectal carcinoma cells via ROS production, caspase activation, and GADD 153 expression,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 527–537, 2008.
- N. Li, R. Guo, W. Li et al., “A proteomic investigation into a human gastric cancer cell line BGC823 treated with diallyl trisulfide,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1222–1231, 2006.
- S. Chuthapisith, B. E. Bean, G. Cowley et al., “Annexins in human breast cancer: possible predictors of pathological response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1274–1281, 2009.
- G. Panicker, Y. Ye, D. Wang, and E. R. Unger, “Characterization of the human cervical mucous proteome,” Clinical Proteomics, vol. 6, no. 1-2, pp. 18–28, 2010.
- L. Zitvogel, O. Kepp, L. Senovilla, L. Menger, N. Chaput, and G. Kroemer, “Immunogenic tumor cell death for optimal anticancer therapy: the calreticulin exposure pathway,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3100–3104, 2010.
- Y. I. Chang, S. W. Lin, Y. Y. Chiou et al., “Establishment of an ectopically expressed and functional PRMT1 for proteomic analysis of arginine-methylated proteins,” Electrophoresis, vol. 31, no. 23-24, pp. 3834–3842, 2010.
- D. K. Morrison, “The 14-3-3 proteins: integrators of diverse signaling cues that impact cell fate and cancer development,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 16–23, 2009.
- M. Nomura, S. Shimizu, T. Sugiyama et al., “14-3-3 Interacts directly with and negatively regulates pro-apoptotic Bax,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 3, pp. 2058–2065, 2003.
- A. Kumagai and W. G. Dunphy, “Binding of 14-3-3 proteins and nuclear export control the mtracellular localization of the mitotic inducer Cdc25,” Genes and Development, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1067–1072, 1999.
- C. Laronga, H. Y. Yang, C. Neal, and M. H. Lee, “Association of the cyclin-dependent kinases and 14-3-3 sigma negatively regulates cell cycle progression,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 30, pp. 23106–23112, 2000.
- Q. X. Yue, Z. W. Cao, S. H. Guan et al., “Proteomics characterization of the cytotoxicity mechanism of ganoderic acid D and computer-automated estimation of the possible drug target network,” Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 949–961, 2008.