- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 310872, 10 pages
MART-10, a New Generation of Vitamin D Analog, Is More Potent than 1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 in Inhibiting Cell Proliferation and Inducing Apoptosis in ER+ MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells
1General Surgery Department, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 222 Mai-Chin Road, Keelung 204, Taiwan
2Graduate Institute of Clinical Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Kwei-Shan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
3General Surgery Department, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kwei-Shan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
4Institute of Systems Biology and Bioinformatics, National Central University, Jhongli City, Taoyuan 32001, Taiwan
5Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Teikyo University, 2-11-1 Kaga, Itabashi, Tokyo 173-8605, Japan
6Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen-Hua 1st Road, Kwei-Shan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
7Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Received 28 September 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Martin Kohlmeier
Copyright © 2012 Kun-Chun Chiang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- W. Zwart, V. Theodorou, and J. S. Carroll, “Estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer: a multidisciplinary challenge,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews. Systems Biology and Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 216–230, 2011.
- C. Holm, M. Kok, R. Michalides et al., “Phosphorylation of the oestrogen receptor α at serine 305 and prediction of tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 217, no. 3, pp. 372–379, 2009.
- A. V. Krishnan, S. Swami, and D. Feldman, “The potential therapeutic benefits of vitamin D in the treatment of estrogen receptor positive breast cancer,” Steroids, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1107–1112, 2012.
- J. C. Fleet, M. DeSmet, R. Johnson, and Y. Li, “Vitamin D and cancer: a review of molecular mechanisms,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 441, no. 1, pp. 61–76, 2012.
- K. C. Chiang and T. C. Chen, “Vitamin D for the prevention and treatment of pancreatic cancer,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 27, pp. 3349–3354, 2009.
- K. C. Chiang, C. N. Yeh, M. F. Chen, and T. C. Chen, “Hepatocellular carcinoma and vitamin D: a review,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1597–1603, 2011.
- T. Ylikomi, I. Laaksi, Y. R. Lou et al., “Antiproliferative Action of Vitamin D,” Vitamins and Hormones, vol. 64, pp. 357–406, 2002.
- K. C. Chiang and T. C. Chen, “The anti-cancer actions of vitamin D,” Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 13, pp. 126–139, 2012.
- A. V. Krishnan and D. Feldman, “Mechanisms of the anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory actions of vitamin D,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 51, pp. 311–336, 2011.
- K. C. Chiang, C. N. Yeh, H. Y. Chen, et al., “19-Nor-2α-(3-hydroxypropyl)-1α, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (MART-10) is a potent cell growth regulator with enhanced chemotherapeutic potency in liver cancer cells,” Steroids, vol. 76, no. 13, pp. 1513–1519, 2011.
- J. Welsh, “Cellular and molecular effects of vitamin D on carcinogenesis,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 523, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 2012.
- K. K. Deeb, D. L. Trump, and C. S. Johnson, “Vitamin D signalling pathways in cancer: potential for anticancer therapeutics,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 684–700, 2007.
- K. C. Chiang, E. S. Persons, N. W. Istfan, M. F. Holick, and T. C. Chen, “Fish oil enhances the antiproliferative effect of 1α,25- dihydroxyvitamin D3 on liver cancer cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 3591–3596, 2009.
- T. C. Chen and M. F. Holick, “Vitamin D and prostate cancer prevention and treatment,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 423–430, 2003.
- R. Bouillon, A. Verstuyf, L. Verlinden et al., “Non-hypercalcemic pharmacological aspects of vitamin D analogs,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 577–583, 1995.
- K. Z. Guyton, T. W. Kensler, and G. H. Posner, “Cancer chemoprevention using natural vitamin D and synthetic analogs,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 41, pp. 421–442, 2001.
- A. J. Brown and E. Slatopolsky, “Vitamin D analogs: therapeutic applications and mechanisms for selectivity,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 433–452, 2008.
- M. Bower, K. W. Colston, R. C. Stein et al., “Topical calcipotriol treatment in advanced breast cancer,” Lancet, vol. 337, no. 8743, pp. 701–702, 1991.
- T. Gulliford, J. English, K. W. Colston, P. Menday, S. Moller, and R. C. Coombes, “A phase I study of the vitamin D analogue EB 1089 in patients with advanced breast and colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 1998.
- K. Ono, A. Yoshida, N. Saito et al., “Efficient synthesis of 2-modified 1α,25-dihydroxy-19-norvitamin D3 with Julia olefination: high potency in induction of differentiation on HL-60 cells,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 68, no. 19, pp. 7407–7415, 2003.
- J. N. Flanagan, S. Zheng, K. C. Chiang et al., “Evaluation of 19-nor-2α(3-hydroxypropyl)-1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 as a therapeutic agent for androgen-dependent prostate cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 3547–3553, 2009.
- D. Iglesias-Gato, S. Zheng, J. N. Flanagan, et al., “Substitution at carbon 2 of 19-nor-1α, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 with 3-hydroxypropyl group generates an analogue with enhanced chemotherapeutic potency in PC-3 prostate cancer cells,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 127, no. 3–5, pp. 269–275, 2011.
- T. C. Chen, K. S. Persons, S. Zheng et al., “Evaluation of C-2-substituted 19-nor-1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 analogs as therapeutic agents for prostate cancer,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 103, no. 3–5, pp. 717–720, 2007.
- W. Ouyang, Q. Ma, J. Li et al., “Cyclin D1 induction through IκB kinase β/nuclear factor-κB pathway is responsible for arsenite-induced increased cell cycle G 1-S phase transition in human keratinocytes,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 20, pp. 9287–9293, 2005.
- I. Vermes, C. Haanen, and C. Reutelingsperger, “Flow cytometry of apoptotic cell death,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 243, no. 1-2, pp. 167–190, 2000.
- Z. Darzynkiewicz, D. Galkowski, and H. Zhao, “Analysis of apoptosis by cytometry using TUNEL assay,” Methods, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 250–254, 2008.
- R. R. Buras, L. M. Schumaker, F. Davoodi et al., “Vitamin D receptors in breast cancer cells,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 31, no. 2-3, pp. 191–202, 1994.
- E. Jaruga, S. Salvioli, J. Dobrucki et al., “Apoptosis-like, reversible changes in plasma membrane asymmetry and permeability, and transient modifications in mitochondrial membrane potential induced by curcumin in rat thymocytes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 433, no. 3, pp. 287–293, 1998.
- K. L. Perlman, R. R. Sicinski, H. K. Schnoes, and H. F. DeLuca, “1α,24-Dihydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D3, a novel vitamin D-related compound with potential therapeutic activity,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 1823–1824, 1990.
- S. Hourai, T. Fujishima, A. Kittaka et al., “Probing a water channel near the A-ring of receptor-bound 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 with selected 2α-substituted analogues,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 17, pp. 5199–5205, 2006.
- Y. Suhara, K. I. Nihei, M. Kurihara et al., “Efficient and versatile synthesis of novel 2α-substituted 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 analogues and their docking to vitamin D receptors,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 66, no. 26, pp. 8760–8771, 2001.
- N. Lopes, B. Sousa, D. Martins et al., “Alterations in Vitamin D signalling and metabolic pathways in breast cancer progression: a study of VDR, CYP27B1 and CYP24A1 expression in benign and malignant breast lesions Vitamin D pathways unbalanced in breast lesions,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, p. 483, 2010.
- W. Y. Chen, E. R. Bertone-Johnson, D. J. Hunter, W. C. Willett, and S. E. Hankinson, “Associations between polymorphisms in the vitamin D receptor and breast cancer risk,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 2335–2339, 2005.
- S. S. Jensen, M. W. Madsen, J. Lukas, L. Binderup, and J. Bartek, “Inhibitory effects of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on the G1-S phase-controlling machinery,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1370–1380, 2001.
- M. Simboli-Campbell, C. J. Narvaez, K. VanWeelden, M. Tenniswood, and J. Welsh, “Comparative effects of 1,25(OH)2D3 and EB1089 on cell cycle kinetics and apoptosis in MCF-7 breast cancer cells,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 1997.
- J. C. Reed, “Bcl-2 family proteins: regulators of apoptosis and chemoresistance in hematologic malignancies,” Seminars in Hematology, vol. 34, supplement 5, no. 4, pp. 9–19, 1997.
- S. Y. James, A. G. Mackay, and K. W. Colston, “Effects of 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 and its analogues on induction of apoptosis in breast cancer cells,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 395–401, 1996.
- M. Simboli-Campbell, C. J. Narvaez, M. Tenniswood, and J. Welsh, “1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 induces morphological and biochemical markers of apoptosis in MCF-7 breast cancer cells,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 367–376, 1996.
- K. M. Boatright and G. S. Salvesen, “Mechanisms of caspase activation,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 725–731, 2003.
- C. J. Narvaez and J. Welsh, “Role of Mitochondria and Caspases in Vitamin D-mediated Apoptosis of MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 12, pp. 9101–9107, 2001.
- R. U. Jänicke, M. L. Sprengart, M. R. Wati, and A. G. Porter, “Caspase-3 is required for DNA fragmentation and morphological changes associated with apoptosis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 16, pp. 9357–9360, 1998.
- A. V. Krishnan, S. Swami, L. Peng, J. Wang, J. Moreno, and D. Feldman, “Tissue-selective regulation of aromatase expression by calcitriol: implications for breast cancer therapy,” Endocrinology, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 32–42, 2010.
- S. Swami, A. V. Krishnan, and D. Feldman, “1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 down-regulates estrogen receptor abundance and suppresses estrogen actions in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 3371–3379, 2000.