- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 363845, 9 pages
Berberine Improves Insulin Sensitivity by Inhibiting Fat Store and Adjusting Adipokines Profile in Human Preadipocytes and Metabolic Syndrome Patients
1First Affiliated Hospital, Shanxi University of Medical, Taiyuan 030001, China
2Endocrine Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Health, Department of Endocrinology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, 1 Shuaifuyuan, Wangfujing, Beijing 100730, China
Received 9 October 2011; Revised 29 December 2011; Accepted 29 December 2011
Academic Editor: Hao Xu
Copyright © 2012 Jing Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome,” The Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9468, pp. 1415–1428, 2005.
- K. C. Huang and W. M. Williams, “Antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal herbs,” Pharmacology of Chinese Herbs, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 381–383, 1999 (Chinese).
- A. H. Amin, T. V. Subbaiah, and K. M. Abbasi, “Berberine sulfate: antimicrobial activity, bioassay, and mode of action,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1067–1076, 1969.
- K. V. Anis, N. V. Rajeshkumar, and R. Kuttan, “Inhibition of chemical carcinogenesis by berberine in rats and mice,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 763–768, 2001.
- C. L. Kuo, C. W. Chi, and T. Y. Liu, “The anti-inflammatory potential of berberine in vitro and in vivo,” Cancer Letters, vol. 203, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2004.
- H. Zhang, J. Wei, R. Xue et al., “Berberine lowers blood glucose in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients through increasing insulin receptor expression,” Metabolism, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 2010.
- B. Lee, C. H. Yang, D. H. Hahm et al., “Inhibitory effects of Coptidis rhizoma and berberine on cocaine-induced sensitization,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2009.
- A. F. G. Cicero, L. C. Rovati, and I. Setnikar, “Eulipidemic effects of berberine administered alone or in combination with other natural cholesterol-lowering agents: a single-blind clinical investigation,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 2007.
- B. H. Choi, I. S. Ahn, Y. H. Kim et al., “Berberine reduces the expression of adipogenic enzymes and inflammatory molecules of 3T3-L1 adipocyte,” Experimental and Molecular Medicine, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 599–605, 2006.
- D. A. K. Roncari, “Abnormalities of adipose cells in massive obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 14, supplement 3, pp. 187–192, 1990.
- E. E. Kershaw and J. S. Flier, “Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2548–2556, 2004.
- S. A. Ritchie and J. M. C. Connell, “The link between abdominal obesity, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease,” Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 319–326, 2007.
- S. Younus and G. Rodgers, “Biomarkers associated with cardiometabolic risk in obesity,” The American Heart Hospital Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. E28–E32, 2011.
- M. E. Trujillo and P. E. Scherer, “Adiponectin—journey from an adipocyte secretory protein to biomarker of the metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 257, no. 2, pp. 167–175, 2005.
- L. B. Zhou, M. D. Chen, X. Wang et al., “Effect of berberine on the differentiation of adipocyte,” Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 338–340, 2003 (Chinese).
- L. B. Zhou, M. D. Chen, H. D. Song, et al., “Effect of berberine on leptin and resistin gene expression of fat cells,” Chinese Journal of Internal Medcine, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 56–57, 2004 (Chinese).
- W. Gu, W.-H. Zeng, and H.-Y. Hu, “Effects of berberine on adiponectin mRNA expression in 3T3-L1 adipocyte,” China Journal of Chinese Materia Medical, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 286–288, 2005.
- Q. Zhang, X. Xiao, K. Feng et al., “Berberine moderates glucose and lipid metabolism through multipathway mechanism,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 924851, 10 pages, 2011.
- J. H. Yin, M. Li, J. Yang, and C. Y. Wu, “Primary culture of human omental preadipocytes and study of their biological properties,” Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 838–841, 2007 (Chinese).
- L. H. Liu, X. K. Wang, Y. D. Hu, J. L. Kang, L. L. Wang, and S. Li, “Effects of a fatty acid synthase inhibitor on adipocyte differentiation of mouse 3T3-L1 cells,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1052–1057, 2004.
- Z. W. Wang, X. Wang, X. Li et al., “Prevalence and trend of metabolic syndrome in middle-aged Chinese population,” Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 596–600, 2009 (Chinese).
- L. B. Zhou, M. D. Chen, H. D. Song, et al., “Effect of berberine on glucose transport in adipocyte and its mechanism,” Chinese Journal of Endorcrinology and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 38–41, 2003.
- J. Yin, H. Xing, and J. Ye, “Efficacy of berberine in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 712–717, 2008.
- T. McLaughlin, A. Sherman, P. Tsao et al., “Enhanced proportion of small adipose cells in insulin-resistant vs insulin-sensitive obese individuals implicates impaired adipogenesis,” Diabetologia, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1707–1715, 2007.
- E. D. Rosen and O. A. MacDougald, “Adipocyte differentiation from the inside out,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 885–896, 2006.
- E. D. Rosen, C. J. Walkey, P. Puigserver, and B. M. Spiegelman, “Transcriptional regulation of adipogenesis,” Genes and Development, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1293–1307, 2000.
- S. R. Farmer, “Transcriptional control of adipocyte formation,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 263–273, 2006.
- Y. S. Lee, W. S. Kim, K. H. Kim et al., “Berberine, a natural plant product, activates AMP-activated protein kinase with beneficial metabolic effects in diabetic and insulin-resistant states,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2256–2264, 2006.
- C. Huang, Y. Zhang, Z. Gong et al., “Berberine inhibits 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation through the PPARγ pathway,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 571–578, 2006.
- Q. Tong, G. Dalgin, H. Xu, C. N. Ting, J. M. Leiden, and G. S. Hotamisligil, “Function of GATA transcription factors in preadipocyte-adipocyte transition,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5489, pp. 134–138, 2000.
- Q. Tong, J. Tsai, G. Tan, G. Dalgin, and G. S. Hotamisligil, “Interaction between GATA and the C/EBP family of transcription factors is critical in GATA-mediated suppression of adipocyte differentiation,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 706–715, 2005.
- Y. Hu and G. E. Davies, “Berberine increases expression of GATA-2 and GATA-3 during inhibition of adipocyte differentiation,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 864–873, 2009.
- Y. Hu, H. Fahmy, J. K. Zjawiony, and G. E. Davies, “Inhibitory effect and transcriptional impact of berberine and evodiamine on human white preadipocyte differentiation,” Fitoterapia, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 259–268, 2010.
- W. Kong, J. Wei, P. Abidi et al., “Berberine is a novel cholesterol-lowering drug working through a unique mechanism distinct from statins,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1344–1351, 2004.
- N. Oda, S. Imamura, T. Fujita et al., “The ratio of leptin to adiponectin can be used as an index of insulin resistance,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 268–273, 2008.