- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 372670, 13 pages
Systems Biology of Meridians, Acupoints, and Chinese Herbs in Disease
1Department of Life Science, National Taiwan University, No. 1, Section 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan
2Graduate Institute of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 100, Taiwan
3Department of Bioenvironmental Systems Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
4Institute of Biochemical Sciences, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
5Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, National Taiwan University, No. 1, Section 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan
6Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
7Graduate Institute of Biomedical Electronic and Bioinformatics, National Taiwan University, No. 1, Section 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Received 2 August 2012; Accepted 26 September 2012
Academic Editor: Wolfgang Schwarz
Copyright © 2012 Li-Ling Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. C. W. Fung, “Probing the mystery of Chinese medicine meridian channels with special emphasis on the connective tissue interstitial fluid system, mechanotransduction, cells durotaxis and mast cell degranulation,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 4, article 10, 2009.
- S. J. Birch and R. L. Felt, Understanding Acupuncture, Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- L. Bai, J. Tian, C. Zhong et al., “Acupuncture modulates temporal neural responses in wide brain networks: evidence from fMRI study,” Molecular Pain, vol. 6, article 73, 2010.
- M. V. Madsen, P. C. Gøtzsche, and A. Hróbjartsson, “Acupuncture treatment for pain: systematic review of randomised clinical trials with acupuncture, placebo acupuncture, and no acupuncture groups,” BMJ, vol. 338, p. a3115, 2009.
- H. M. Langevin and J. A. Yandow, “Relationship of acupuncture points and meridians to connective tissue planes,” Anatomical Record, vol. 269, no. 6, pp. 257–265, 2002.
- J. Kong, T. J. Kaptchuk, G. Polich et al., “An fMRI study on the interaction and dissociation between expectation of pain relief and acupuncture treatment,” NeuroImage, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 1066–1076, 2009.
- J. Jia, B. Li, Z. L. Sun, F. Yu, X. Wang, and X. M. Wang, “Electro-acupuncture stimulation acts on the basal ganglia output pathway to ameliorate motor impairment in parkinsonian model rats,” Behavioral Neuroscience, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 305–310, 2010.
- J. Jia, Z. Sun, B. Li et al., “Electro-acupuncture stimulation improves motor disorders in Parkinsonian rats,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 205, no. 1, pp. 214–218, 2009.
- H. J. Sung, Y. S. Kim, I. S. Kim et al., “Proteomic analysis of differential protein expression in neuropathic pain and electroacupuncture treatment models,” Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 2805–2813, 2004.
- X. C. Yuan, J. L. Song, G. H. Tian, S. H. Shi, and Z. G. Li, “Proteome analysis on the mechanism of electroacupuncture in relieving acute spinal cord injury at different time courses in rats,” Chinese Acupuncture & Moxibustion, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 75–82, 2009.
- S. Pan, X. Zhan, X. Su, L. Guo, L. Lv, and B. Su, “Proteomic analysis of serum proteins in acute ischemic stroke patients treated with acupuncture,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 236, no. 3, pp. 325–333, 2011.
- J. Q. Fang, E. Aoki, Y. Yu, T. Sohma, T. Kasahara, and T. Hisamitsu, “Inhibitory effect of electroacupuncture on murine collagen arthritis and its possible mechanisms,” In Vivo, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 311–318, 1999.
- S. P. Zhang, J. S. Zhang, K. K. L. Yung, and H. Q. Zhang, “Non-opioid-dependent anti-inflammatory effects of low frequency electroacupuncture,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 327–334, 2004.
- S. Fulder, The Handbook of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1996.
- X. Xu, K. You, X. Bao, and K. Kang, Essentials of Traditional Chinese Medicine English-Chinese Encyclopedia of Practical Tcm, Higher Education Press, Beijing, China, 1991.
- M. A. Richardson, T. Sanders, J. L. Palmer, A. Greisinger, and S. E. Singletary, “Complementary/alternative medicine use in a comprehensive cancer center and the implications for oncology,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 2505–2514, 2000.
- S. Gözüm, A. Tezel, and M. Koc, “Complementary alternative treatments used by patients with cancer in Eastern Turkey,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 230–236, 2003.
- O. DePeyer, Herbal Extracts Help Fight Cancer, Nature News, 2000.
- K. Wojcikowski, D. W. Johnson, and G. Gobe, “Herbs or natural substances as complementary therapies for chronic kidney disease: ideas for future studies,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 160–166, 2006.
- S. Y. Su, C. Y. Cheng, T. H. Tsai, C. Y. Hsiang, T. Y. Ho, and C. L. Hsieh, “Paeonol attenuates H2O2-induced NF-κB- associated amyloid precursor protein expression,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1171–1192, 2010.
- G. C. Han, S. K. Ko, J. H. Sung, and S. H. Chung, “Compound K enhances insulin secretion with beneficial metabolic effects in db/db mice,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 26, pp. 10641–10648, 2007.
- H. F. Juan and H. C. Huang, System Biology: Applications in Cancer-Related Research, World Scientific, Singapore, 2012.
- Z. L. Whichard, C. A. Sarkar, M. Kimmel, and S. J. Corey, “Hematopoiesis and its disorders: a systems biology approach,” Blood, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 2339–2347, 2010.
- Y. Rudy, M. J. Ackerman, D. M. Bers et al., “Systems approach to understanding electromechanical activity in the human heart a national heart, lung, and blood institute workshop summary,” Circulation, vol. 118, no. 11, pp. 1202–1211, 2008.
- H. Y. Chuang, M. Hofree, and T. Ideker, “A decade of systems biology,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 26, pp. 721–744, 2010.
- E. C. Butcher, E. L. Berg, and E. J. Kunkel, “Systems biology in drug discovery,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1253–1259, 2004.
- C. W. Hu, Y. L. Chang, S. J. Chen et al., “Revealing the functions of the transketolase enzyme isoforms in Rhodopseudomonas palustris using a systems biology approach,” PloS One, vol. 6, no. 12, article e28329, 2011.
- R. Hall, M. Beale, O. Fiehn, N. Hardy, L. Sumner, and R. Bino, “Plant metabolomics: the missing link in functional genomics strategies,” Plant Cell, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1437–1440, 2002.
- H. V. Westerhoff and B. O. Palsson, “The evolution of molecular biology into systems biology,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1249–1252, 2004.
- C. C. Lin, J. T. Hsiang, C. Y. Wu, Y. J. Oyang, H. F. Juan, and H. C. Huang, “Dynamic functional modules in co-expressed protein interaction networks of dilated cardiomyopathy,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 4, article 138, 2010.
- D. Greenbaum, N. M. Luscombe, R. Jansen, J. Qian, and M. Gerstein, “Interrelating different types of genomic data, from proteome to secretome: ′Oming in on function,” Genome Research, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1463–1468, 2001.
- L. L. Lin, H. C. Huang, and H. F. Juan, “Discovery of biomarkers for gastric cancer: a proteomics approach,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 3081–3097, 2012.
- C. C. Lin, Y. J. Chen, C. Y. Chen, Y. J. Oyang, H. F. Juan, and H. C. Huang, “Crosstalk between transcription factors and microRNAs in human protein interaction network,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 6, article 18, 2012.
- C. W. Tseng, C. C. Lin, C. N. Chen, H. C. Huang, and H. F. Juan, “Integrative network analysis reveals active microRNAs and their functions in gastric cancer,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 5, article 99, 2011.
- G. A. Ulett, J. Han, and S. Han, “Traditional and evidence-based acupuncture: history, mechanisms, and present status,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 1115–1120, 1998.
- S. L. Cantwell, “Traditional Chinese veterinary medicine: the mechanism and management of acupuncture for chronic pain,” Topics in Companion Animal Medicine, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2010.
- C. A. Smith, C. T. Collins, C. A. Crowther, and K. M. Levett, “Acupuncture or acupressure for pain management in labour,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 7, article CD009232, 2011.
- F. C. Chang, H. Y. Tsai, M. C. Yu, P. L. Yi, and J. G. Lin, “The central serotonergic system mediates the analgesic effect of electroacupuncture on Zusanli (ST36) acupoints,” Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 2004.
- Y. Z. Gao, S. Y. Guo, Q. Z. Yin, T. Hisamitsu, and X. H. Jiang, “An individual variation study of electroacupuncture analgesia in rats using microarray,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 767–778, 2007.
- Y. Chae, H. J. Park, D. H. Hahm, S. H. Yi, and H. Lee, “Individual differences of acupuncture analgesia in humans using cDNA microarray,” Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 425–431, 2006.
- X. Ding, J. Yu, T. Yu, Y. Fu, and J. Han, “Acupuncture regulates the aging-related changes in gene profile expression of the hippocampus in senescence-accelerated mouse (SAMP10),” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 399, no. 1-2, pp. 11–16, 2006.
- M. Li and Y. Zhang, “Modulation of gene expression in cholesterol-lowering effect of electroacupuncture at Fenglong acupoint (ST40): a cDNA microarray study,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 617–629, 2007.
- Z. R. Vlahcevic, S. K. Jairath, D. M. Heuman et al., “Transcriptional regulation of hepatic sterol 27-hydroxylase by bile acids,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 270, no. 4, pp. G646–G652, 1996.
- H. Wolters, B. M. Elzinga, J. F. W. Baller et al., “Effects of bile salt flux variations on the expression of hepatic bile salt transporters in vivo in mice,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 556–563, 2002.
- C. Tan, J. Wang, W. Feng, W. Ding, and M. Wang, “Preliminary correlation between warm needling treatment for knee osteoarthritis of deficiency-cold syndrome and metabolic functional genes and pathways,” JAMS Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2010.
- X. Y. Wang, X. L. Li, S. Q. Hong, Y. B. Xi, and T. H. Wang, “Electroacupuncture induced spinal plasticity is linked to multiple gene expressions in dorsal root deafferented rats,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 2009.
- J. Ko, D. S. Na, H. L. Young et al., “cDNA microarray analysis of the differential gene expression in the neuropathic pain and electroacupuncture treatment models,” Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 420–427, 2002.
- W. Dauer and S. Przedborski, “Parkinson's disease: mechanisms and models,” Neuron, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 889–909, 2003.
- Y. G. Choi, S. Yeo, Y. M. Hong, S. H. Kim, and S. Lim, “Changes of gene expression profiles in the cervical spinal cord by acupuncture in an MPTP-intoxicated mouse model: microarray analysis,” Gene, vol. 481, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 2011.
- Y. G. Choi, S. Yeo, Y. M. Hong, and S. Lim, “Neuroprotective changes of striatal degeneration-related gene expression by acupuncture in an MPTP mouse model of Parkinsonism: microarray analysis,” Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 377–391, 2011.
- M. S. Hong, H. K. Park, J. S. Yang et al., “Gene expression profile of acupuncture treatment in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2, 3,6- tetrahydropyridine-induced Parkinson's disease model,” Neurological Research, vol. 32, Supplement 1, pp. S74–S78, 2010.
- M. A. Noureddine, Y. J. Li, J. M. van der Walt et al., “Genomic convergence to identify candidate genes for Parkinson's disease: SAGE analysis of the substantia nigra,” Movement Disorders, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1299–1309, 2005.
- C. K. Kim, G. S. Choi, S. D. Oh et al., “Electroacupuncture up-regulates natural killer cell activity: identification of genes altering their expressions in electroacupuncture induced up-regulation of natural killer cell activity,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 144–153, 2005.
- S. K. Kim, J. Kim, E. Ko et al., “Gene expression profile of the hypothalamus in DNP-KLH immunized mice following electroacupuncture stimulation,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 508689, 8 pages, 2011.
- S. H. Sohn, S. K. Kim, E. Ko et al., “The genome-wide expression profile of electroacupuncture in DNP-KLH immunized mice,” Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 631–640, 2010.
- H. S. Shiue, Y. S. Lee, C. N. Tsai, Y. M. Hsueh, J. R. Sheu, and H. H. Chang, “DNA microarray analysis of the effect on inflammation in patients treated with acupuncture for allergic rhinitis,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 689–698, 2008.
- H. S. Shiue, Y. S. Lee, C. N. Tsai, Y. M. Hsueh, J. R. Sheu, and H. H. Chang, “Gene expression profile of patients with phadiatop-positive and -negative allergic rhinitis treated with acupuncture,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2010.
- I. M. Cojocaru, M. Cojocaru, R. Tǎnǎsescu et al., “Changes in plasma levels of complement in patients with acute ischemic stroke,” Romanian Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 77–80, 2008.
- W. J. Li, S. Q. Pan, Y. S. Zeng et al., “Identification of acupuncture-specific proteins in the process of electro-acupuncture after spinal cord injury,” Neuroscience Research, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 307–316, 2010.
- C. P. M. Reutelingsperger and W. L. Van Heerde, “Annexin V, the regulator of phosphatidylserine-catalyzed inflammation and coagulation during apoptosis,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 527–532, 1997.
- L. H. Wang and S. M. Strittmatter, “A family of rat CRMP genes is differentially expressed in the nervous system,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 16, no. 19, pp. 6197–6207, 1996.
- J. R. Siebert, F. A. Middleton, and D. J. Stelzner, “Long descending cervical propriospinal neurons differ from thoracic propriospinal neurons in response to low thoracic spinal injury,” BMC Neuroscience, vol. 11, article 148, 2010.
- S. Jeon, J. K. Youn, S. T. Kim et al., “Proteomic analysis of the neuroprotective mechanisms of acupuncture treatment in a Parkinson's disease mouse model,” Proteomics, vol. 8, no. 22, pp. 4822–4832, 2008.
- S. T. Kim, W. Moon, Y. Chae, Y. J. Kim, H. Lee, and H. J. Park, “The effect of electroaucpuncture for 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6- tetrahydropyridine-induced proteomic changes in the mouse striatum,” Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 2010.
- D. Sliva, “Cellular and physiological effects of Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi),” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 873–879, 2004.
- C. Y. Lai, J. T. Hung, H. H. Lin et al., “Immunomodulatory and adjuvant activities of a polysaccharide extract of Ganoderma lucidum in vivo and in vitro,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 31, pp. 4945–4954, 2010.
- Y. L. Lin, S. S. Lee, S. M. Hou, and B. L. Chiang, “Polysaccharide purified from Ganoderma lucidum induces gene expression changes in human dendritic cells and promotes T helper 1 immune response in BALB/c mice,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 637–644, 2006.
- H. R. Lemmon, J. Sham, L. A. Chau, and J. Madrenas, “High molecular weight polysaccharides are key immunomodulators in North American ginseng extracts: characterization of the ginseng genetic signature in primary human immune cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2012.
- C. H. Cheng, A. Y. Leung, and C. F. Chen, “The effects of two different ganoderma species (Lingzhi) on gene expression in human monocytic THP-1 cells,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 648–658, 2010.
- J. Wu, M. Zhang, H. Jia et al., “Protosappanin A induces immunosuppression of rats heart transplantation targeting T cells in grafts via NF-κB pathway,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, vol. 381, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2010.
- K. C. Cheng, H. C. Huang, J. H. Chen et al., “Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides in human monocytic leukemia cells: from gene expression to network construction,” BMC Genomics, vol. 8, article 411, 2007.
- Q. Zhang, F. Wei, C. C. Fong et al., “Transcriptional profiling of human skin fibroblast cell line Hs27 induced by herbal formula Astragali Radix and Rehmanniae Radix,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 668–675, 2011.
- H. Zhao, J. Deneau, G. O. Che et al., “Angelica sinensis isolate SBD. 4: composition, gene expression profiling, mechanism of action and effect on wounds, in rats and humans,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 58–67, 2012.
- Y. Sun, S. M. Y. Lee, Y. M. Wong et al., “Dosing effects of an antiosteoporosis herbal formula—a preclinical investigation using a rat model,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 267–273, 2008.
- X. Luo, C. Z. Wang, J. Chen et al., “Characterization of gene expression regulated by American ginseng and ginsenoside Rg3 in human colorectal cancer cells,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 975–983, 2008.
- M. L. King and L. L. Murphy, “American ginseng (Panax Quinquefolius L.) extract alters mitogen-activated protein kinase cell signaling and inhibits proliferation of MCF-7-cells,” Journal of Experimental Therapeutics and Oncology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 147–155, 2007.
- A. Hara, N. Iizuka, Y. Hamamoto et al., “Molecular dissection of a medicinal herb with anti-tumor activity by oligonucleotide microarray,” Life Sciences, vol. 77, no. 9, pp. 991–1002, 2005.
- N. Iizuka, M. Oka, K. Yamamoto et al., “Identification of common or distinct genes related to antitumor activities of a medicinal herb and its major component by oligonucleotide microarray,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 666–672, 2003.
- H. Wang, Y. Ye, S. Y. Pan et al., “Proteomic identification of proteins involved in the anticancer activities of oridonin in HepG2 cells,” Phytomedicine, vol. 18, no. 2-3, pp. 163–169, 2011.
- Y. Xu, J. F. Chiu, Q. Y. He, and F. Chen, “Tubeimoside-1 exerts cytotoxicity in heLa cells Through mitochondrial dysfunction and endoplasmic reticulum stress pathways,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 1585–1593, 2009.
- Z. X. Cheng, B. R. Liu, X. P. Qian et al., “Proteomic analysis of anti-tumor effects by Rhizoma Paridis total saponin treatment in HepG2 cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 129–137, 2008.
- P. Y. K. Yue, D. Y. L. Wong, W. Y. Ha et al., “Elucidation of the mechanisms underlying the angiogenic effects of ginsenoside Rg1 in vivo and in vitro,” Angiogenesis, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 205–216, 2005.
- V. B. Konkimalla, M. Blunder, B. Korn et al., “Effect of artemisinins and other endoperoxides on nitric oxide-related signaling pathway in RAW 264.7 mouse macrophage cells,” Nitric Oxide, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 184–191, 2008.
- S. Y. Su, C. Y. Cheng, T. H. Tsai, C. Y. Hsiang, T. Y. Ho, and C. L. Hsieh, “Paeonol attenuates H2O2-induced NF-κB- associated amyloid precursor protein expression,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1171–1192, 2010.
- X. Wang, Y. Wang, M. Jiang et al., “Differential cardioprotective effects of salvianolic acid and tanshinone on acute myocardial infarction are mediated by unique signaling pathways,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 662–671, 2011.
- W. Y. Lo, F. J. Tsai, C. H. Liu et al., “Uncaria rhynchophylla upregulates the expression of MIF and cyclophilin A in kainic acid-induced epilepsy rats: a proteomic analysis,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 745–759, 2010.
- Y. C. Hung, P. W. Wang, and T. L. Pan, “Functional proteomics reveal the effect of Salvia miltiorrhiza aqueous extract against vascular atherosclerotic lesions,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1804, no. 6, pp. 1310–1321, 2010.
- Y. C. Hung, P. W. Wang, T. L. Pan, G. Bazylak, and Y. L. Leu, “Proteomic screening of antioxidant effects exhibited by Radix Salvia miltiorrhiza aqueous extract in cultured rat aortic smooth muscle cells under homocysteine treatment,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 463–474, 2009.
- H. Zhao, R. Mortezaei, Y. Wang, X. Sheng, F. Aria, and K. Bojanowski, “SBD.4 stimulates regenerative processes in vitro, and wound healing in genetically diabetic mice and in human skin/severe-combined immunodeficiency mouse chimera,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 593–601, 2006.
- C. Prost-Squarcioni, S. Fraitag, M. Heller, and N. Boehm, “Functional histology of dermis,” Annales De Dermatologie Et De Venereologie, vol. 135, no. 1, Part 2, pp. 1–20, 2008.
- A. R. Saltiel, “New perspectives into the molecular pathogenesis and treatment of type 2 diabetes,” Cell, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 517–529, 2001.
- R. S. Lindsay, T. Funahashi, R. L. Hanson et al., “Adiponectin and development of type 2 diabetes in the Pima Indian population,” The Lancet, vol. 360, no. 9326, pp. 57–58, 2002.
- Y. Fu, N. Luo, R. L. Klein, and W. T. Garvey, “Adiponectin promotes adipocyte differentiation, insulin sensitivity, and lipid accumulation,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 1369–1379, 2005.
- J. W. Hsu, H. C. Huang, S. T. Chen, C. H. Wong, and H. F. Juan, “Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides induce macrophage-like differentiation in human leukemia THP-1 cells via caspase and p53 activation,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 358717, 13 pages, 2011.
- J. Jiang, I. Eliaz, and D. Sliva, “Suppression of growth and invasive behavior of human prostate cancer cells by ProstaCaid: mechanism of activity,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1675–1682, 2011.
- J. Jiang and D. Sliva, “Novel medicinal mushroom blend suppresses growth and invasiveness of human breast cancer cells,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1529–1536, 2010.
- S. M. Y. Lee, M. L. Y. Li, Y. C. Tse et al., “Paeoniae Radix, a Chinese herbal extract, inhibit hepatoma cells growth by inducing apoptosis in a p53 independent pathway,” Life Sciences, vol. 71, no. 19, pp. 2267–2277, 2002.
- H. Li, N. Takai, A. Yuge et al., “Novel target genes responsive to the anti-growth activity of triptolide in endometrial and ovarian cancer cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 297, no. 2, pp. 198–206, 2010.
- A. N. Pham, P. E. Blower, O. Alvarado, R. Ravula, P. W. Gout, and Y. Huang, “Pharmacogenomic approach reveals a role for the xc-cystine/glutamate antiporter in growth and celastrol resistance of glioma cell lines,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 332, no. 3, pp. 949–958, 2010.
- E. Wang, S. Bussom, J. Chen et al., “Interaction of a traditional Chinese Medicine (PHY906) and CPT-11 on the inflammatory process in the tumor microenvironment,” BMC Medical Genomics, vol. 4, article 38, 2011.
- J. H. Yoo, H. C. Kwon, Y. J. Kim, J. H. Park, and H. O. Yang, “KG-135, enriched with selected ginsenosides, inhibits the proliferation of human prostate cancer cells in culture and inhibits xenograft growth in athymic mice,” Cancer Letters, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. 99–110, 2010.
- S. P. Hussain, G. E. Trivers, L. J. Hofseth et al., “Nitric oxide, a mediator of inflammation, suppresses tumorigenesis,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 19, pp. 6849–6853, 2004.
- J. X. Kang, J. Liu, J. Wang, C. He, and F. P. Li, “The extract of huanglian, a medicinal herb, induces cell growth arrest and apoptosis by upregulation of interferon-β and TNF-α in human breast cancer cells,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1934–1939, 2005.
- L. S. Chan, P. Y. K. Yue, N. K. Mak, and R. N. S. Wong, “Role of MicroRNA-214 in ginsenoside-Rg1-induced angiogenesis,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 370–377, 2009.
- H. Yaoita, K. Ogawa, K. Maehara, and Y. Maruyama, “Apoptosis in relevant clinical situations: contribution of apoptosis in myocardial infarction,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 630–641, 2000.
- K. Ito, X. Yan, M. Tajima, Z. Su, W. H. Barry, and B. H. Lorell, “Contractile reserve and intracellular calcium regulation in mouse myocytes from normal and hypertrophied failing hearts,” Circulation Research, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 588–595, 2000.
- D. Praticò, “Oxidative stress hypothesis in Alzheimer's disease: a reappraisal,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 609–615, 2008.
- F. Wang, R. Ma, and L. Yu, “Role of mitochondria and mitochondrial cytochrome c in tubeimoside I-mediated apoptosis of human cervical carcinoma HeLa cell line,” Cancer chemotherapy and pharmacology., vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 389–399, 2006.
- J. Lee, D. Son, P. Lee et al., “Protective effect of methanol extract of Uncaria rhynchophylla against excitotoxicity induced by N-methyl-D-aspartate in rat hippocampus,” Journal Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 70–73, 2003.
- H. Li, Y. Gao, C. D. Freire, M. K. Raizada, G. M. Toney, and C. Sumners, “Macrophage migration inhibitory factor in the PVN attenuates the central pressor and dipsogenic actions of angiotensin II,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1748–1750, 2006.
- J. Liu, J. D. Farmer Jr., W. S. Lane, J. Friedman, I. Weissman, and S. L. Schreiber, “Calcineurin is a common target of cyclophilin-cyclosporin A and FKBP-FK506 complexes,” Cell, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 807–815, 1991.
- S. G. Oliver, M. K. Winson, D. B. Kell, and F. Baganz, “Systematic functional analysis of the yeast genome,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 373–378, 1998.
- S. Agnolet, J. W. Jaroszewski, R. Verpoorte, and D. Staerk, “1H NMR-based metabolomics combined with HPLC-PDA-MS-SPE-NMR for investigation of standardized Ginkgo biloba preparations,” Metabolomics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 292–302, 2010.
- Q. Zhang, G. J. Wang, J. Y. A et al., “Application of GC/MS-based metabonomic profiling in studying the lipid-regulating effects of Ginkgo biloba extract on diet-induced hyperlipidemia in rats,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1674–1687, 2009.
- G. Tan, Z. Lou, J. Jing et al., “Screening and analysis of aconitum alkaloids and their metabolites in rat urine after oral administration of aconite roots extract using LC-TOFMS-based metabolomics,” Biomedical Chromatography, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1343–1351, 2011.
- S. Yan, B. Wu, Z. Lin et al., “Metabonomic characterization of aging and investigation on the anti-aging effects of total flavones of Epimedium,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1204–1213, 2009.
- Q. Zhang, F. Zuo, N. Nakamura, C. M. Ma, and M. Hattori, “Metabolism and pharmacokinetics in rats of ganoderiol F, a highly cytotoxic and antitumor triterpene from Ganoderma lucidum,” Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 304–310, 2009.