- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 384301, 8 pages
Single Agent Polysaccharopeptide Delays Metastases and Improves Survival in Naturally Occurring Hemangiosarcoma
Veterinary Clinical Investigations Center, Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine and University of Pennsylvania, 3900 Delancey Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6010, USA
Received 22 March 2012; Revised 31 May 2012; Accepted 25 July 2012
Academic Editor: Haruki Yamada
Copyright © 2012 Dorothy Cimino Brown and Jennifer Reetz. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, World Cancer Report 2008, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2008.
- T. C. Hsieh, J. Kunicki, Z. Darzynkiewicz, and J. M. Wu, “Effects of extracts of Coriolus versicolor (I'm-Yunity) on cell-cycle progression and expression of interleukins-1β, -6, and -8 in promyelocytic HL-60 leukemic cells and mitogenically stimulated and nonstimulated human lymphocytes,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 591–602, 2002.
- T. C. Hsieh, P. Wu, S. Park, and J. M. Wu, “Induction of cell cycle changes and modulation of apoptogenic/anti-apoptotic and extracellular signalling regulatory protein expression by water extracts of I'm-Yunity (PSP),” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, article 30, 2006.
- C. K. Wong, Y. X. Bao, E. L. Y. Wong, P. C. Leung, K. P. Fung, and C. W. K. Lam, “Immunomodulatory activities of Yunzhi and Danshen in post-treatment breast cancer patients,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 381–395, 2005.
- M. Yang, Z. Chen, S. Kwok, and H. Ge, “The antitumor effect of purified PSP Coriolus versicolor, (PCV) in vitro and in vivo,” in Proceedings of the PSP International Symposium, C. Y. Kwok, Ed., pp. 80–96, Fudan University Press, Shanghai, China, 1993.
- T. C. Hsieh and J. M. Wu, “Cell growth and gene modulatory activities of Yunzhi (Windsor Wunxi) from mushroom Trametes versicolor in androgen-dependent and androgen-insensitive human prostate cancer cells,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 2001.
- I. Kola and J. Landis, “Can the pharmaceutical industry reduce attrition rates?” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 711–715, 2004.
- A. J. Hunter, “Have animal models of disease helped or hindered the drug discovery process?” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1245, pp. 1–2, 2011.
- C. Eng, “Are herbal medicines ripe for the cancer clinic?” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 2, pp. 1–5, 2010.
- K. K. W. Chu, S. S. S. Ho, and A. H. L. Chow, “Coriolus versicolor: a medicinal mushroom with promising immunotherapeutic values,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 976–984, 2002.
- T. B. Ng, H. Wang, F. Liu, J. C. Ho, and W. K. Liu, “Polysaccharopeptide, (PSP) from mycelia of the mushroom Coriolus versicolor: an updated review,” in Advanced Research in PSP, Q. Yang, Ed., pp. 80–87, Hong Kong Association for Health Care, Hong Kong, 1999.
- J. H. Shi, T. Chart, and Z. R. Lian, “The clinical research of the effect of PSP on the immunological function of stomach cancer patients during operation and chemotherapy,” in Proceedings of the PSP International Symposium, Q. Yang, Ed., pp. 232–240, Fudan University Press, Shanghai, China, 1993.
- S. Xie, “The effect of PSP on red cell immunity: a clinical study on gastric cancer patients,” in Proceedings of the PSP International Symposium, Q. Yang and C. Y. Kwok, Eds., pp. 241–242, Fudaan University Press, Shanghai, China, 1993.
- M. Liao and J. Zhao, “The II stage clinical tests of PSP in the treatment of lung cancer,” in Proceedings of the PSP International Symposium, Q. Yang and C. Y. Kwok, Eds., pp. 243–256, Fudan University Press, Shanghai, China, 1993.
- D. M. Vail and E. G. MacEwen, “Spontaneously occurring tumors of companion animals as models for human cancer,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 781–792, 2000.
- S. P. Fosmire, E. B. Dickerson, A. M. Scott et al., “Canine malignant hemangiosarcoma as a model of primitive angiogenic endothelium,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 562–572, 2004.
- B. A. Tamburini, S. Trapp, T. L. Phang, J. T. Schappa, L. E. Hunter, and J. F. Modiano, “Gene expression profiles of sporadic canine hemangiosarcoma are uniquely associated with breed,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 5, Article ID e5549, 2009.
- D. M. Vail, E. G. Ma, I. D. Kurzman et al., “Liposome-encapsulated muramyl tripeptide phosphatidylethanolamine adjuvant immunotherapy for splenic hemangiosarcoma in the dog: a randomized multi-institutional clinical trial,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 1, no. 10, pp. 1165–1170, 1995.
- N. O. Brown, A. K. Patnaik, and E. G. MacEwen, “Canine hemangiosarcoma: retrospective analysis of 104 cases,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 186, no. 1, pp. 56–58, 1985.
- W. L. Spangler and P. H. Kass, “Pathologic factors affecting postsplenectomy survival in dogs,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 166–171, 1997.
- C. Prymak, L. J. McKee, M. H. Goldschmidt, and L. T. Glickman, “Epidemiologic, clinical, pathologic, and prognostic characteristics of splenic hemangiosarcoma and splenic hematoma in dogs: 217 cases (1985),” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 193, no. 6, pp. 706–712, 1988.
- C. A. Wood, A. S. Moore, J. M. Gliatto, L. A. Ablin, R. J. Berg, and W. M. Rand, “Prognosis for dogs with stage I or II splenic hemangiosarcoma treated by splenectomy alone: 32 cases (1991–1993),” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 417–421, 1998.
- Q. Y. Yang and Y. F. Zhou, “A protein bound polysaccharide-PSP,” in Proceedings of the PSP International Symposium, Q. Y. Yang and C. Y. Kowk, Eds., pp. 22–31, Fudan University Press, Shanghai, China, 1993.
- X. T. Yang, K. Mi, H. Q. Feng, Y. C. Wu, and Q. Y. Yang, “Comparison of polysaccharopeptides from different strains of Coriolus versicolor and with different extractive methods,” Chinese Journal of Pharmaceutical, vol. 31, pp. 545–548, 2000.
- Y. L. Zhou and Q. Y. Yang, “Active principles from Coriolus sp,” in Advanced Research in PSP, Q. Y. Yang, Ed., pp. 111–124, The Hong Kong Association for Health Care Limited, Hong Kong, 1999.
- R. T. O'Brien, M. Iani, J. Matheson, F. Delaney, and K. Young, “Contrast harmonic ultrasound of spontaneous liver nodules in 32 dogs,” Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 547–553, 2004.
- J. Pintar, E. B. Breitschwerdt, E. M. Hardie, and K. A. Spaulding, “Acute nontraumatic hemoabdomen in the dog: a retrospective analysis of 39 cases (1987–2001),” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 518–522, 2003.
- A. S. Hammer, C. G. Couto, J. Filppi, D. Getzy, and K. Shank, “Efficacy and toxicity of VAC chemotherapy (vincristine, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide) in dogs with hemangiosarcoma,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 160–166, 1991.
- G. K. Ogilvie, B. E. Powers, C. H. Mallinckrodt, and S. J. Withrow, “Surgery and doxorubicin in dogs with hemangiosarcoma,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 379–384, 1996.
- K. U. Sorenmo, J. L. Baez, C. A. Clifford et al., “Efficacy and toxicity of a dose-intensified doxorubicin protocol in canine hemangiosarcoma,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 18, pp. 209–213, 2004.
- Y. Dong, C. Y. Kwan, Z. N. Chen, and M. M. P. Yang, “Antitumor effects of a refined polysaccharide peptiede fraction isolated from Coriolus Versicolor: in vitro and in vivo studies,” Research Communications in Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 140–148, 1996.
- X. W. Mao, J. O. Archambeau, and D. S. Gridley, “Immunotherapy with low-dose interleukin-2 and a polysaccharopeptide derived from Coriolus versicolor,” Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 393–403, 1996.
- Q. Yang, “Yun Zhi polysaccharopeptide (PSP) and the general aspects of its research,” Fungal Science, vol. 12, pp. 1–8, 1997.
- T. B. Ng, “A review of research on the protein-bound polysaccharide (polysaccharopeptide, PSP) from the mushroom Coriolus versicolor (basidiomycetes: polyporaceae),” General Pharmacology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 1998.
- L. Q. Zhou, W. H. Koo, and P. T. Ang, “Effect of polysaccharide-peptide (PSP), an extract from Yun-Zhi, on chemotherapy-induced cytopenias,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 143–146, 1996.
- H. X. Wang, T. B. Ng, W. K. Liu, V. E. C. Ooi, and S. T. Chang, “Polysaccharide-peptide complexes from the cultured mycelia of the mushroom Coriolus versicolor and their culture medium activate mouse lymphocytes and macrophages,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 601–607, 1996.
- P. M. Kidd, “The use of mushroom glucans and proteoglycans in cancer treatment,” Alternative Medicine Review, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 4–27, 2000.
- K. W. Tsang, C. L. Lam, C. Yan et al., “Coriolus versicolor polysaccharide peptide slows progression of advanced non-small cell lung cancer,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 618–624, 2003.
- E. A. Ostrander, F. Galibert, and D. F. Patterson, “Canine genetics comes of age,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 117–124, 2000.
- P. C. Schultheiss, “A retrospective study of visceral and nonvisceral hemangiosarcoma and hemangiomas in domestic animals,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 522–526, 2004.