- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 404012, 9 pages
Gastroprotective Activity of Polygonum chinense Aqueous Leaf Extract on Ethanol-Induced Hemorrhagic Mucosal Lesions in Rats
1Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3Institute of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Cyberjaya University College of Medical Scinces, 6300 Cyberjaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
5Faculty of Dentistry, Universiti Teknologi Mara, 40450 Shah Alam, Malaysia
Received 1 July 2012; Revised 3 November 2012; Accepted 5 December 2012
Academic Editor: Virginia S. Martino
Copyright © 2012 Iza Farhana Ismail et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Khazaei and H. Salehi, “Protective effect of Falcaria vulgaris extract on ethanol induced gastric ulcer in rat,” Iranian Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 2006.
- O. A. Salawu, A. Y. Tijani, I. C. Obidike, H. A. Rafindadi, and M. Emeje, “Anti-ulcerogenic properties of methanolic root extract of Piliostigma reticulatum (DC) Hoechst (Syn. Bauhinia reticulate DC) -leguminosae in rats,” African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 252–258, 2009.
- J. K. Grover, G. Adiga, V. Vats, and S. S. Rathi, “Extracts of Benincasa hispida prevent development of experimental ulcers,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 78, no. 2-3, pp. 159–164, 2001.
- M. A. Abdulla, K. A. A. Ahmed, F. H. Al-Bayaty, and Y. Masood, “Gastroprotective effect of Phyllanthus niruri leaf extract against ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injury in rats,” African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 226–230, 2010.
- S. I. Abdelwahab, S. Mohan, M. A. Abdulla, et al., “The methanolic extract of Boesenbergia rotunda (L.) Mansf. and its major compound pinostrobin induces anti-ulcerogenic property in vivo: possible involvement of indirect antioxidant action,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 963–970, 2011.
- S. Q. Wasman, A. A. Mahmood, H. Salehhuddin, A. A. Zahra, and I. Salmah, “Cytoprotective activities of Polygonum minus aqueous leaf extract on ethanol-induced gastric ulcer in rats,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 4, no. 24, pp. 2658–2665, 2010.
- S. W. Qader, M. A. Abdulla, L. S. Chua, et al., “Pharmacological mechanisms underlying gastroprotective activities of the fractions obtained from Polygonum minus in sprague dawley rats,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 1481–1496, 2012.
- B. P. Ezhilan and R. Neelamegam, “GC-MS analysis of phytocomponents in the ethanol extract of Polygonum chinense L,” Pharmacognosy Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 11–14, 2012.
- A. A. Mahmood, A. A. Mariod, F. Al-Bayaty, and S. I. Abdel-Wahab, “Anti-ulcerogenic activity of Gynura procumbens leaf extract against experimentally-induced gastric lesions in rats,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 685–691, 2010.
- A. A. Mahmood, A. A. Fard, H. Harita, Z. A. Amin, and I. Salmah, “Evaluation of gastroprotective effects of Strobianthes crispus leaf extract on ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injury in rats,” Scientific Research and Essays, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 2306–2314, 2011.
- D. O. F. O. CHEMICALS, “OECD Guideline for testing of chemicals,” 2005.
- S. J. Corne, S. M. Morrissey, and R. J. Woods, “Proceedings: a method for the quantitative estimation of gastric barrier mucus,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 242, no. 2, pp. 116P–117P, 1974.
- Y. Sun, L. W. Oberley, and Y. Li, “A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 497–500, 1988.
- H. H. Draper and M. Hadley, “Malondialdehyde determination as index of lipid peroxidation,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 186, pp. 421–431, 1990.
- A. G. Gornall, C. J. Bardawill, and M. M. David, “Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 751–766, 1949.
- F. C. Moleiro, M. A. Andreo, R. D. C. dos Santos et al., “Mouriri elliptica: validation of gastroprotective, healing and anti-Helicobacter pylori effects,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 359–368, 2009.
- J. McManus and R. Mowry, “PAS reaction staining,” in Staining Methods, Histological and Histochemical, p. 126, A Hoeber International Reprint Harpoer & Row, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1964.
- A. Franke, S. Teyssen, and M. V. Singer, “Alcohol-related diseases of the esophagus and stomach,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 23, no. 3-4, pp. 204–213, 2005.
- M. Jainu and C. S. S. Devi, “Gastroprotective action of Cissus quadrangularis extract against NSAID induced gastric ulcer: role of proinflammatory cytokines and oxidative damage,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 262–270, 2006.
- J. D. Kaunitz, “Barrier function of gastric mucus,” Keio Journal of Medicine, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 63–68, 1999.
- G. Cao, S. L. Booth, J. A. Sadowski, and R. L. Prior, “Increases in human plasma antioxidant capacity after consumption of controlled diets high in fruit and vegetables,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1081–1087, 1998.
- J. V. R. Medeiros, G. G. Gadelha, S. J. Lima et al., “Role of the NO/cGMP/KATP pathway in the protective effects of sildenafil against ethanol-induced gastric damage in rats,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 721–727, 2008.
- E. R. Vasconcelos Rios, N. F. Moura Rocha, E. T. Venâncio et al., “Mechanisms involved in the gastroprotective activity of esculin on acute gastric lesions in mice,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 246–254, 2010.
- T. Kobayashi, Y. Ohta, J. Yoshino, and S. Nakazawa, “Teprenone promotes the healing of acetic acid-induced chronic gastric ulcers in rats by inhibiting neutrophil infiltration and lipid peroxidation in ulcerated gastric tissues,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2001.
- C. L. Cheng and M. W. L. Koo, “Effects of Centella asiatica on ethanol induced gastric mucosal lesions in rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 67, no. 21, pp. 2647–2653, 2000.
- A. Tarnawski, I. L. Szabo, S. S. Husain, and B. Soreghan, “Regeneration of gastric mucosa during ulcer healing is triggered by growth factors and signal transduction pathways,” Journal of Physiology-Paris, vol. 95, no. 1–6, pp. 337–344, 2001.
- K. Shichijo, M. Ihara, M. Matsuu, M. Ito, Y. Okumura, and I. Sekine, “Overexpression of heat shock protein 70 in stomach of stress-induced gastric ulcer-resistant rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 340–348, 2003.
- M. Oberringer, H. P. Baum, V. Jung et al., “Differential expression of heat shock protein 70 in well healing and chronic human wound tissue,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 214, no. 3, pp. 1009–1014, 1995.
- H. P. Kim, D. Morse, and A. M. K. Choi, “Heat-shock proteins: new keys to the development of cytoprotective therapies,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 759–769, 2006.
- K. Rokutan, “Role of heat shock proteins in gastric mucosal protection,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 15, pp. D12–D19, 2000.
- A. Nechushtan, C. L. Smith, I. Lamensdorf, S. H. Yoon, and R. J. Youle, “Bax and Bak coalesce into novel mitochondria-associated clusters during apoptosis,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 153, no. 6, pp. 1265–1276, 2001.
- C. M. Rudin and C. B. Thompson, “Apoptosis and disease: regulation and clinical relevance of programmed cell death,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 48, pp. 267–281, 1997.
- P. C. Konturek, T. Brzozowski, S. J. Konturek et al., “Apoptosis in gastric mucosa with stress-induced gastric ulcers,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 211–225, 1999.