- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 428560, 10 pages
Herb-Drug Interaction of Paullinia cupana (Guarana) Seed Extract on the Pharmacokinetics of Amiodarone in Rats
1Laboratory of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Coimbra, 3000-548 Coimbra, Portugal
2Centre for Neuroscience and Cell Biology (CNC), University of Coimbra, 3004-517 Coimbra, Portugal
3Health Sciences Research Centre (CICS), University of Beira Interior (UBI), 6200-506 Covilhã, Portugal
4Department of Internal Medicine, Amato Lusitano Hospital, 6000-085 Castelo Branco, Portugal
Received 14 September 2012; Accepted 10 November 2012
Academic Editor: Ken Yasukawa
Copyright © 2012 Márcio Rodrigues et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. P. Lima, L. C. Carnevali Jr., R. Eder, L. F. B. P. Costa Rosa, E. M. Bacchi, and M. C. L. Seelaender, “Lipid metabolism in trained rats: effect of guarana (Paullinia cupana Mart.) supplementation,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1019–1028, 2005.
- M. P. de Oliveira Campos, R. Riechelmann, L. C. Martins, B. J. Hassan, F. B. A. Casa, and A. D. Giglio, “Guarana (Paullinia cupana) improves fatigue in breast cancer patients undergoing systemic chemotherapy,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 505–512, 2011.
- C. M. Heard, S. Johnson, G. Moss, and C. P. Thomas, “In vitro transdermal delivery of caffeine, theobromine, theophylline and catechin from extract of Guarana, Paullinia cupana,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 317, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2006.
- C. Costa Krewer, E. E. Ribeiro, E. A. Ribeiro, et al., “Habitual intake of guaraná and metabolic morbidities: an epidemiological study of an elderly Amazonian population,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 25, pp. 1367–1374, 2011.
- T. Klein, R. Longhini, and J. C. de Mello, “Development of an analytical method using reversed-phase HPLC-PDA for a semipurified extract of Paullinia cupana var. sorbilis (guaraná),” Talanta, vol. 88, pp. 502–506, 2012.
- E. Bulku, D. Zinkovsky, P. Patel et al., “A novel dietary supplement containing multiple phytochemicals and vitamins elevates hepatorenal and cardiac antioxidant enzymes in the absence of significant serum chemistry and genomic changes,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 129–144, 2010.
- C. N. Boozer, J. A. Nasser, S. B. Heymsfield, V. Wang, G. Chen, and J. L. Solomon, “An herbal supplement containing Ma Huang-Guarana for weight loss: a randomized, double-blind trial,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 316–324, 2001.
- T. Opala, P. Rzymski, I. Pischel, M. Wilczak, and J. Woźniak, “Efficacy of 12 weeks supplementation of a botanical extract-based weight loss formula on body weight, body composition and blood chemistry in healthy, overweight subjects—a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial,” European Journal of Medical Research, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 343–350, 2006.
- S. Bérubé-Parent, C. Pelletier, J. Doré, and A. Tremblay, “Effects of encapsulated green tea and Guarana extracts containing a mixture of epigallocatechin-3-gallate and caffeine on 24 h energy expenditure and fat oxidation in men,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 432–436, 2005.
- S. P. Bydlowski, R. L. Yunker, and M. T. R. Subbiah, “A novel property of an aqueous guarana extract (Paullinia cupana): inhibition of platelet aggregation in vitro and in vivo,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 535–538, 1988.
- S. P. Bydlowski, E. A. D'Amico, and D. A. F. Chamone, “An aqueous extract of guarana (Paullinia cupana) decreases platelet thromboxane synthesis,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 421–424, 1991.
- T. M. Antonelli-Ushirobira, E. N. Kaneshima, M. Gabriel, E. A. Audi, L. C. Marques, and J. C. P. Mello, “Acute and subchronic toxicological evaluation of the semipurified extract of seeds of guaraná (Paullinia cupana) in rodents,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1817–1820, 2010.
- European Medicines Agency, “Call for scientific data for use in HMPC assessment work on Paullinia cupana Kunth, semen,” EMA/HMPC/278492/2011, Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC), 2011, http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Herbal_-_Call_for_data/2011/04/WC500105239.pdf.
- M. H. Pittler, K. Schmidt, and E. Ernst, “Adverse events of herbal food supplements for body weight reduction: systematic review,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 93–111, 2005.
- R. Scaglione, C. Argano, T. Di Chiara, and G. Licata, “Obesity and cardiovascular risk: the new public health problem of worldwide proportions,” Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 203–212, 2004.
- P. F. Bodary, H. B. Iglay, and D. T. Eitzman, “Strategies to reduce vascular risk associated with obesity,” Current Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 249–258, 2007.
- K. C. Zalesin, B. A. Franklin, W. M. Miller, E. D. Peterson, and P. A. McCullough, “Impact of obesity on cardiovascular disease,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 663–684, 2008.
- B. N. Singh, “Amiodarone as paradigm for developing new drugs for atrial fibrillation,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 300–305, 2008.
- S. A. Papiris, C. Triantafillidou, L. Kolilekas, D. Markoulaki, and E. D. Manali, “Amiodarone: review of pulmonary effects and toxicity,” Drug Safety, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 539–558, 2010.
- A. Shayeganpour, D. A. Hamdy, and D. R. Brocks, “Pharmacokinetics of desethylamiodarone in the rat after its administration as the preformed metabolite, and after administration of amiodarone,” Biopharmaceutics & Drug Disposition, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 159–166, 2008.
- H. Van Herendael and P. Dorian, “Amiodarone for the treatment and prevention of ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 6, pp. 465–472, 2010.
- T. Pérez-Ruiz, C. Martínez-Lozano, A. Sanz, and E. Bravo, “Development and validation of a capillary electrophoretic method for the determination of amiodarone and desethylamiodarone,” Chromatographia, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 63–67, 2002.
- S. B. Edwin, D. L. Jennings, and J. S. Kalus, “An evaluation of the early pharmacodynamic response after simultaneous initiation of warfarin and amiodarone,” The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 693–698, 2010.
- S. Karimi, A. Hough, C. Beckey, and D. Parra, “Results of a safety initiative for patients on concomitant amiodarone and simvastatin therapy in a Veterans Affairs Medical Center,” Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 472–481, 2010.
- E. E. Roughead, L. M. Kalisch, J. D. Barratt, and A. L. Gilbert, “Prevalence of potentially hazardous drug interactions amongst Australian veterans,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 252–257, 2010.
- “Directive 2010/63/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 September 2010 on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes,” Official Journal of the European Union, vol. 276, no. 33, pp. 33–79, 2010.
- US DHHS, FDA, CDER, “Guidance for Industry—Estimating the maximum safe starting dose in initial clinical trials for therapeutics in adult healthy volunteers,” US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, 2005, http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm078932.pdf.
- A. Shayeganpour, A. S. Jun, and D. R. Brocks, “Pharmacokinetics of amiodarone in hyperlipidemic and simulated high fat-meal rat models,” Biopharmaceutics & Drug Disposition, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 249–257, 2005.
- M. Rodrigues, G. Alves, A. Ferreira, J. Queiroz, and A. Falcão, “A rapid HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of amiodarone and its major metabolite in rat plasma and tissues: a useful tool for pharmacokinetic studies,” Journal of Chromatographic Science. In press.
- C. C. Libersa, S. A. Brique, K. B. Motte et al., “Dramatic inhibition of amiodarone metabolism induced by grapefruit juice,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 373–378, 2000.
- J. Zhi, R. Moore, L. Kanitra, and T. E. Mulligan, “Effects of orlistat, a lipase inhibitor, on the pharmacokinetics of three highly lipophilic drugs (amiodarone, fluoxetine, and simvastatin) in healthy volunteers,” The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 428–435, 2003.
- M. E. Elsherbiny, A. O. S. El-Kadi, and D. R. Brocks, “The effect of β-naphthoflavone on the metabolism of amiodarone by hepatic and extra-hepatic microsomes,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 195, no. 2-3, pp. 147–154, 2010.
- X. Meng, P. Mojaverian, M. Doedée et al., “Bioavailability of amiodarone tablets administered with and without food in healthy subjects,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 432–435, 2001.
- E. A. Carlini, “Plants and the central nervous system,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 501–512, 2003.