- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 429268, 10 pages
Randomized Clinical Trial on the Use of PHYSTA Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the Improvement of Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being in Men
1School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kelantan, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Malaysia
2Department of Science and Clinical Trial, Biotropics Malaysia Berhad, Level 52, Menara TM, Jalan Pantai Baharu, 50672 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3Department of Life Sciences, Technical University of Braunschweig, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Received 15 May 2012; Accepted 26 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ching Lan
Copyright © 2012 Shaiful Bahari Ismail et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. W. Lewis, K. S. Fugl-Meyer, R. Bosch et al., “Epidemiology and risk factors of sexual dysfunction,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2004.
- A. Nicolosi, E. D. Moreira Jr., M. Shirai, M. I. Bin, and D. B. Glasser, “Epidemiology of erectile dysfunction in four countries: cross-national study of the prevalence and correlates of erectile dysfunction,” Urology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 201–206, 2003.
- W. Y. Low and H. M. Tan, “Asian traditional medicine for erectile dysfunction,” Journal of Men's Health and Gender, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 245–250, 2007.
- H. M. Tan, “Author's reply to editorial comment to sex among Asian men and women: The global better sex survey in Asia,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 16, no. 5, p. 515, 2009.
- R. W. Lewis, “Epidemiology of sexual dysfunction in Asia compared to the rest of the world,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 152–158, 2011.
- E. M. Khoo, H. M. Tan, and W. Y. Low, “Erectile dysfunction and comorbidities in aging men: an urban cross-sectional study in Malaysia,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 2925–2934, 2008.
- H. M. Tan, W. Y. Low, C. J. Ng et al., “Prevalence and correlates of erectile dysfunction (ED) and treatment seeking for ED in asian men: the asian men's attitudes to life events and sexuality (MALES) study,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1582–1592, 2007.
- W. Y. Low, Y. L. Wong, S. N. Zulkifli, and H. M. Tan, “Malaysian cultural differences in knowledge, attitudes and practices related to erectile dysfunction: focus group discussions,” International Journal of Impotence Research, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 440–445, 2002.
- R. Bhat and A. A. Karim, “Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia Jack): a review on its ethnobotany and pharmacological importance,” Fitoterapia, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 669–679, 2010.
- H. H. Ang and M. K. Sim, “Eurycoma longifolia Jack enhances lbido in sexually experienced male rats,” Experimental Animals, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 287–290, 1997.
- H. H. Ang, H. S. Cheang, and A. P. M. Yusof, “Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali) on the initiation of sexual performance of inexperienced castrated male rats,” Experimental Animals, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 35–38, 2000.
- H. H. Ang and T. H. Ngai, “Aphrodisiac evaluation in non-copulator male rats afterchronic administration of Eurycoma longifolia Jack,” Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 265–268, 2001.
- H. H. Ang and K. L. Lee, “Effect of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on orientation activities in middle-aged male rats,” Fundamental & Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 479–483, 2002.
- H. H. Ang, K. L. Lee, and M. Kiyoshi, “Eurycoma longifolia Jack enhances sexual motivation in middle-aged male mice,” Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 301–308, 2003.
- H. H. Ang, T. H. Ngai, and T. H. Tan, “Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on sexual qualities in middle aged male rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 10, no. 6-7, pp. 590–593, 2003.
- H. H. Ang, K. L. Lee, and M. Kiyoshi, “Sexual arousal in sexually sluggish old male rats after oral administration of Eurycoma longifolia Jack,” Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 15, no. 3-4, pp. 303–309, 2004.
- I. Zhari, N. Ismail, and J. Lassa, Malaysian Herbal Monograph. Radix Eurycoma, Eurycoma Root, Malaysian Monograph Committee, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1999.
- S. Hamzah and A. Yusof, “The ergogenic effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack: a pilot study,” British Journal of Sports Medinice, vol. 37, pp. 465–466, 2003.
- M. I. Tambi, “Nutrients and botanicals for optimizing men's health. Examining the evidence for Eurycoma longifolia Jack, the Malaysian Ginseng in men's health,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 11, supplement 5, pp. 37–38, 2009.
- M. I. B. M. Tambi, M. K. Imran, and R. R. Henkel, “Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism?” Andrologia, vol. 44, supplement 1, pp. 226–230, 2012.
- F. K. Ooi, R. Singh, R. G. Sirisinghe, B. S. Ang, and S. M. Sahil Jamalullail, “Effects of a herbal ergogenic drink on cycling performance in Young cyclists,” Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2001.
- A. S. Muhamad, C. C. Keong, O. F. Kiew, M. R. Abdullah, and C. T. Lam, “Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack supplementation on recreational athletes' endurance running capacity and physiological responses in the heat,” International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 1–19, 2010.
- M. T. C. Liang, T. D. Podolka, and W. J. Chuang, “Panax notoginseng supplementation enhances physical performance during endurance exercise,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 108–114, 2005.
- S. Sararaks, A. B. Azman, L. L. Low et al., “Validity and reliability of the SF-36: the Malaysian context,” Medical Journal of Malaysia, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 163–179, 2005.
- “Standard procedure for collecting Seminal Fluid,” NICE Guidelines. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence http://www.nice.org.uk.
- T. O. Lim, A. Das, S. Rampal et al., “Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the English version of the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF) for use in Malaysia,” International Journal of Impotence Research, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 329–336, 2003.
- M. I. Bin and M. K. Imran, “Eurycoma longifolia Jack in managing idiopathic male infertility,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 376–380, 2010.