- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 438191, 9 pages
Protective Effects of the Traditional Herbal Formula Oryeongsan Water Extract on Ethanol-Induced Acute Gastric Mucosal Injury in Rats
Basic Herbal Medicine Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, 483 Expo-ro, Yusung-gu, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
Received 13 April 2012; Accepted 19 September 2012
Academic Editor: Carlo Ventura
Copyright © 2012 Woo-Young Jeon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Liu, W. Hou, P. Yao, et al., “Heme oxygenase-1 mediates the protective role of quercetin against ethanol-induced rat hepatocytes oxidative damage,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 74–80, 2012.
- J. M. Alvarez-Suarez, D. Dekanski, S. Ristić, et al., “Strawberry polyphenols attenuate ethanol-induced gastric lesions in rats by activation of antioxidant enzymes and attenuation of MDA increase,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e25878, 2011.
- A. I. Cederbaum, “Introduction-serial review: alcohol, oxidative stress and cell injury,” Free Radical Biology & Medicine, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1524–1526, 2001.
- H. Tang, B. M. Sebastian, A. Axhemi, et al., “Ethanol-induced oxidative stress via the CYP2E1 pathway disrupts adiponectin secretion from adipocytes,” Alcoholism, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 214–222, 2012.
- T. Ramesh, S. W. Kim, J. H. Sung, et al., “Effect of fermented Panax ginseng extract (GINST) on oxidative stress and antioxidant activities in major organs of aged rats,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2012.
- A. Dongan and I. Celik, “Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activities of grapeseeds against ethanol-induced oxidative stress in rats,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2012.
- A. Robert, J. E. Nezamis, C. Lancaster, and A. J. Hanchar, “Cytoprotection by prostaglandins in rats. Prevention of gastric necrosis produced by alcohol, HCl, NaOH, hypertonic NaCl, and thermal injury,” Gastroenterology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 433–443, 1979.
- J. V. R. Medeiros, G. G. Gadelha, S. J. Lima et al., “Role of the NO/cGMP/KATP pathway in the protective effects of sildenafil against ethanol-induced gastric damage in rats,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 721–727, 2008.
- M. I. G. Silva, B. A. Moura, M. R. De Aquino Neto et al., “Gastroprotective activity of isopulegol on experimentally induced gastric lesions in mice: investigation of possible mechanisms of action,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, vol. 380, no. 3, pp. 233–245, 2009.
- F. M. Birdane, M. Cemek, Y. O. Birdane, I. Gülçin, and M. E. Büyükokuroǧlu, “Beneficial effects of Foeniculum vulgare on ethanol-induced acute gastric mucosal injury in rats,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 607–611, 2007.
- L. He, X. Rong, J. M. Jiang, P. Q. Liu, and Y. Li, “Amelioration of anti-cancer agent adriamycin-induced nephrotic syndrome in rats by Wulingsan (Gorei-San), a blended traditional Chinese herbal medicine,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1452–1460, 2008.
- C. Kiga, H. Goto, H. Sakurai, et al., “Effects of traditional Japanese (Kampo) medicines (orengedokuto, goreisan and shichimotsukokato) on the onset of stroke and expression patterns of plasma proteins in spontaneously hypertensive stroke-prone rats,” Journal of Traditional Medicines, vol. 25, no. 5-6, pp. 125–132, 2008.
- I. M. Liu, T. F. Tzeng, S. S. Liou, and C. J. Chang, “The amelioration of streptozotocin diabetes-induced renal damage by Wu-Ling-San (Hoelen Five Herb Formula), a traditional Chinese prescription,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 211–218, 2009.
- H. M. Shin, G. W. Kim, H. Kim, and U. S. Shin, “Effect of pretreatment with the Oryungsan on the hepatic superoxide dismutase activity and lipid peroxidation in CCl4-treated rats,” Journal of Oriental Physiology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 171–180, 1996.
- Z. Yang, B. Han, D. Fu, and W. Liu, “Acute toxicity of high dosage carboxymethyl chitosan and its effect on the blood parameters in rats,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 457–462, 2012.
- C. S. Seo and H. K. Shin, “Simultaneous determination of Cinnamaldehyde and Coumarin in Oryeong-san using HPLC with Photodiode array detector,” The Korean Journal of Oriental Medical Prescription, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 251–257, 2010.
- D. Lapenna, S. de Gioia, G. Ciofani, D. Festi, and F. Cuccurullo, “Antioxidant properties of omeprazole,” FEBS Letters, vol. 382, no. 1-2, pp. 189–192, 1996.
- G. Şener-Muratoǧlu, K. Paskaloǧlu, S. Arbak, C. Hürdaǧ, and G. Ayanoǧlu-Dülger, “Protective effect of famotidine, omeprazole, and melatonin against acetylsalicylic acid-induced gastric damage in rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 318–330, 2001.
- L. Laine and W. M. Weinstein, “Histology of alcoholic hemorrhagic “gastritis” a prospective evaluation,” Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 1254–1262, 1988.
- M. Y. Lee, I. S. Shin, W. Y. Jeon, et al., “Protective effect of Bojungikki-tang, a traditional herbal formula, against alcohol-induced gastric injury in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 346–353, 2012.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), “OECD Principles of Good Laboratory Practice,” 1997, http://search.oecd.org/officialdocuments/displaydocumentpdf/?doclanguage=en&cote=env/mc/chem(98)17.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), “OECD Guidelines for Testing of Chemical No. 423, Acute Oral Toxicity-Acute Class Method,” 2001, http://www.oecd.org/chemicalsafety/assessmentofchemicals/1948370.pdf.
- C. W. Dunnett, “New tables for multiple comparisons with control,” Biometrics, vol. 20, pp. 482–491, 1964.
- M. Guslandi, “Effects of ethanol on the gastric mucosa,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 21–32, 1987.
- Y. G. Li, D. F. Ji, T. B. Lin, S. Zhong, G. Y. Hu, and S. Chen, “Protective effect of sericin peptide against alcohol-induced gastric injury in mice,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 121, no. 20, pp. 2083–2087, 2008.
- K. Ishida, R. Kojima, M. Tsuboi, Y. Tsuda, and M. Ito, “Effects of artichoke leaf extract on acute gastric mucosal injury in rats,” Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 223–229, 2010.
- N. Osakabe, C. Sanbongi, M. Yamagishi, T. Takizawa, and T. Osawa, “Effects of polyphenol substances derived from Theobroma cacao on gastric mucosal lesion induced by ethanol,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1535–1538, 1998.
- A. Kahraman, N. Erkasap, T. Köken, M. Serteser, F. Aktepe, and S. Erkasap, “The antioxidative and antihistaminic properties of quercetin in ethanol-induced gastric lesions,” Toxicology, vol. 183, no. 1–3, pp. 133–142, 2003.
- J. J. Fortunato, F. R. Agostinho, G. Z. Réus, F. C. Petronilho, F. Dal-Pizzol, and J. Quevedo, “Lipid peroxidative damage on malathion exposure in rats,” Neurotoxicity Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 2006.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- N. Traverso, S. Menini, E. P. Maineri et al., “Malondialdehyde, a lipoperoxidation-derived aldehyde, can bring about secondary oxidative damage to proteins,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 890–895, 2004.
- S. E. Kim, D. Y. Rhyu, T. Yokozawa, and J. C. Park, “Antioxidant effect of Alisma plantago-aquatica var. orientale and its main component,” Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 372–375, 2007.
- Y. H. Park, I. H. Son, B. Kim, Y. S. Lyu, H. I. Moon, and H. W. Kang, “Poria cocos water extract (PCW) protects PC12 neuronal cells from beta-amyloid-induced cell death through antioxidant and antiapoptotic functions,” Die Pharmazie, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 760–764, 2009.
- Y. D. Ha, “Antitumoral, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of solvent fractions from Grifola umbellatus,” Korean Journal of Postharvest Science and Technology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 481–487, 2001.
- H. Matsuda, Y. H. Li, K. Taniguchi, J. Yamahara, and Y. Tamai, “Imaging analysis of antiulcer action and the active constituent of atractylodis rhizoma,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 36–39, 1991.
- M. Kubo, S. Ma, J. Wu, and H. Matsuda, “Anti-inflammatory activities of 70% methanolic extract from cinnamomi cortex,” Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1041–1045, 1996.
- E. Hosoya, “Scientific reevaluation of Kampo prescription using modern technology,” in Recent Advances in the Pharmacology of Kampo (Japanese Herbal) Medicine, E. Hosoya, Ed., pp. 17–29, 1988.
- V. P. Skulachev, “Cytochrome c in the apoptotic and antioxidant cascades,” FEBS Letters, vol. 423, no. 3, pp. 275–280, 1998.
- D. Armstrong, Free Radical and Antioxidant Protocols, Humana Press, 1998, Edited by D. Armstrong.
- J. R. Noh, Y. H. Kim, G. T. Gang et al., “Hepatoprotective effects of chestnut (Castanea crenata) inner shell extract against chronic ethanol-induced oxidative stress in C57BL/6 mice,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1537–1543, 2011.