- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 438356, 10 pages
Correlation between Chemical Composition of Curcuma domestica and Curcuma xanthorrhiza and Their Antioxidant Effect on Human Low-Density Lipoprotein Oxidation
1Drug and Herbal Research Center, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Faculty of Pharmacy, Universitas Indonesia, Kampus UI, Depok 16424, Indonesia
3Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sargodha, University Road, Sargodha, Lahore 40100, Pakistan
Received 4 August 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editor: Khalid Rahman
Copyright © 2012 Ibrahim Jantan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. H. Burkill, A Dictionary of Economic Products of the Malay Peninsula, vol. 1-2, Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operative, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1966.
- J. H. Zwaving and R. Bos, “Analysis of the essential oils of five curcuma species,” Flavour and Fragrance Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 19–22, 1992.
- R. K. Sharma, B. P. Misra, T. C. Sarma, A. K. Bordoloi, M. G. Pathak, and P. A. Leclercq, “Essential Oils of curcuma longa L. from Bhutan,” Journal of Essential Oil Research, vol. 9, pp. 589–592, 1997.
- I. B. Jantan, A. S. Ahmad, N. A. M. Ali, A. R. Ahmad, and H. Ibrahim, “Chemical composition of the rhizome oils of four curcuma species from Malaysia,” Journal of Essential Oil Research, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 719–723, 1999.
- T. Nishiyama, T. Mae, H. Kishida et al., “Curcuminoids and sesquiterpenoids in turmeric (curcuma longa L.) suppress an increase in blood glucose level in type 2 diabetic KK-Aγ mice,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 959–963, 2005.
- G. K. Jayaprakasha, L. Jagan Mohan Rao, and K. K. Sakariah, “Chemistry and biological activities of C. longa,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 533–548, 2005.
- H. Itokawa, Q. Shi, T. Akiyama, S. L. Morris-Natschke, and K. H. Lee, “Recent advances in the investigation of curcuminoids,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 3, article 11, 2008.
- J. Zhao, J. S. Zhang, B. Yang, G. P. Lv, and S. P. Li, “Free radical scavenging activity and characterization of sesquiterpenoids in four species of curcuma using a TLC bioautography assay and GC-MS analysis,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 7547–7557, 2010.
- G. Singh, I. P. S. Kapoor, P. Singh, C. S. de Heluani, M. P. de Lampasona, and C. A. N. Catalan, “Comparative study of chemical composition and antioxidant activity of fresh and dry rhizomes of turmeric (curcuma longa Linn.),” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1026–1031, 2010.
- W. F. Chen, S. L. Deng, B. Zhou, et al., “Curcumin and its analogues as potent inhibitors of low density lipoprotein oxidation: H-atom abstraction from the phenolic groups and possible involvement of the 4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl groups,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 526–535, 2006.
- Q.-Y. Wei, W.-F. Chen, B. Zhou, L. Yang, and Z. L. Liu, “Inhibition of lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in rat liver mitochondria by curcumin and its analogues,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1760, no. 1, pp. 70–77, 2006.
- S. P. Wong, L. P. Leong, and J. H. William Koh, “Antioxidant activities of aqueous extracts of selected plants,” Food Chemistry, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 775–783, 2006.
- R. P. Adams, Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1989.
- C. H. Hong, Y. Kim, and S. K. Lee, “Sesquiterpenoids from the Rhizome of curcuma zedoaria,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 424–426, 2001.
- H. M. Sirat, N. M. Hong, and M. H. Jauri, “Chemistry of xanthorrhizol: synthesis of several bisabolane sesquiterpenoids from xanthorrhizol,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 457–460, 2007.
- J. M. Graham, J. A. Higgins, T. Gillott et al., “A novel method for the rapid separation of plasma lipoproteins using self-generating gradients of iodixanol,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 125–135, 1996.
- S. A. Dillon, R. S. Burmi, G. M. Lowe, D. Billington, and K. Rahman, “Antioxidant properties of aged garlic extract: an in vitro study incorporating human low density lipoprotein,” Life Sciences, vol. 72, no. 14, pp. 1583–1594, 2003.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- J. Galle and C. Wanner, “Oxidized LDL and Lp(a) preparation, modification, and analysis,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 108, pp. 119–130, 1998.
- R. P. Noble, “Electrophoretic separation of plasma lipoproteins in agarose gel,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 693–700, 1968.
- J. A. Buege and S. D. Aust, “Microsomal lipid peroxidation,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 52, pp. 302–310, 1978.
- M. Paramasivam, R. Poi, H. Banerjee, and A. Bandyopadhyay, “High-performance thin layer chromatographic method for quantitative determination of curcuminoids in curcuma longa germplasm,” Food Chemistry, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 640–644, 2009.
- S. Parthasarathy, S. G. Young, and J. L. Witztum, “Probucol inhibits oxidative modification of low density lipoprotein,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 641–644, 1986.
- L. Yu, K. Zhou, and J. W. Parry, “Inhibitory effects of wheat bran extracts on human LDL oxidation and free radicals,” LWT-Food Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 463–470, 2005.
- I. Jantan, S. M. Raweh, H. M. Sirat et al., “Inhibitory effect of compounds from Zingiberaceae species on human platelet aggregation,” Phytomedicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 306–309, 2008.
- Y. Rukayadi and J. K. Hwang, “In Vitro antimycotic activity of xanthorrhizol isolated from curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. against opportunistic filamentous fungi,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 434–438, 2007.
- F. Mustaffa, J. Indurkar, S. Ismail, M. Shah, and S. M. Mansor, “An antimicrobial compound isolated from Cinnamomum iners leaves with activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 3037–3047, 2011.
- Y. H. Cheah, F. J. Nordin, T. T. Tee, et al., “Antiproliferative property and apoptotic effect of xanthorrhizol on MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 28, pp. 3677–3689, 2008.
- H. S. Lee, “Antiplatelet property of curcuma longa L. rhizome-derived ar-turmerone,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 1372–1376, 2006.
- G. G. L. Yue, B. C. L. Chan, P. M. Hon et al., “Evaluation of in vitro anti-proliferative and immunomodulatory activities of compounds isolated from curcuma longa,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 8-9, pp. 2011–2020, 2010.
- M. Ji, J. Choi, J. Lee, and Y. Lee, “Induction of apoptosis by ar-turmerone on various cell lines,” International journal of molecular medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 253–256, 2004.
- A. B. H. Adbul, A. S. Al-Zubairi, N. D. Tailan et al., “Anticancer activity of natural compound (Zerumbone) extracted from Zingiber zerumbet in human HeLa cervical cancer cells,” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 160–168, 2008.
- C. Kirana, G. H. McIntosh, I. R. Record, and G. P. Jones, “Antitumor activity of extract of Zingiber aromaticum and its bioactive sesquiterpenoid zerumbone,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 218–225, 2003.
- M. R. Sulaiman, E. K. Perimal, M. N. Akhtar et al., “Anti-inflammatory effect of zerumbone on acute and chronic inflammation models in mice,” Fitoterapia, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 855–858, 2010.