- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 462383, 11 pages
A Novel Herbal Medicine KIOM-MA Exerts an Anti-Inflammatory Effect in LPS-Stimulated RAW 264.7 Macrophage Cells
Korean Medicine (KM)-Based Herbal Drug Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, 461-24 Jeonmin-Dong, Yuseong, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
Received 12 April 2012; Revised 24 October 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editor: Carlo Ventura
Copyright © 2012 You-Chang Oh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Becker, S. Mundandhara, R. B. Devlin, and M. Madden, “Regulation of cytokine production in human alveolar macrophages and airway epithelial cells in response to ambient air pollution particles: further mechanistic studies,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 207, no. 2, pp. 269–275, 2005.
- G. F. Pierce, “Macrophages: important physiologic and pathologic sources of polypeptide growth factors,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 233–234, 1990.
- M. Guslandi, “Nitric oxide and inflammatory bowel diseases,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 904–907, 1998.
- R. K. Simons, W. G. Junger, W. H. Loomis, and D. B. Hoyt, “Acute lung injury in endotoxemic rats is associated with sustained circulating IL-6 levels and intrapulmonary cinc activity and neutrophil recruitment—role of circulating TNF-α and IL-β?” Shock, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 1996.
- T. Tajima, T. Murata, K. Aritake et al., “Lipopolysaccharide induces macrophage migration via prostaglandin D2 and prostaglandin E2,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 326, no. 2, pp. 493–501, 2008.
- J. H. Yen, V. P. Kocieda, H. Jing, and D. Ganea, “Prostaglandin E2 induces matrix metalloproteinase 9 expression in dendritic cells through two independent signaling pathways leading to activator protein 1 (AP-1) activation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 45, pp. 38913–38923, 2011.
- S. S. Makarov, “NF-κb as a therapeutic target in chronic inflammation: recent advances,” Molecular Medicine Today, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 441–448, 2000.
- R. de Martin, B. Vanhove, Q. Cheng et al., “Cytokine-inducible expression in endothelial cells of an IκBα-like gene is regulated by NFκB,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 2773–2779, 1993.
- D. W. Gilroy, T. Lawrence, M. Perretti, and A. G. Rossi, “Inflammatory resolution: new opportunities for drug discovery,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 401–416, 2004.
- E. D. Chan and D. W. H. Riches, “Potential role of the JNK/SAPK signal transduction pathway in the induction of iNOS by TNF-α,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 253, no. 3, pp. 790–796, 1998.
- B. C. Chen, Y. H. Chen, and W. W. Lin, “Involvement of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in lipopolysaccharide-induced iNOS and COX-2 expression in J774 macrophages,” Immunology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 124–129, 1999.
- Y. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, J. Y. Lee, S. W. Choi, J. W. Park, and T. K. Kwon, “Triptolide inhibits murine-inducible nitric oxide synthase expression by down-regulating lipopolysaccharide-induced activity of nuclear factor-κB and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 494, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2004.
- H. J. Choi, O. H. Kang, P. S. Park et al., “Mume Fructus water extract inhibits pro-inflammatory mediators in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophages,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 460–466, 2007.
- Y. C. Oh, W. K. Cho, J. H. Oh et al., “Fermentation by Lactobacillus enhances anti-inflammatory effect of Oyaksungisan on LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 mouse macrophage cells,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, article 17, 2012.
- T. H. Chung, T. J. Kang, W. K. Cho et al., “Effectiveness of the novel herbal medicine, KIOM-MA, and its bioconversion product, KIOM-MA128, on the treatment of atopic dermatitis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 762918, 9 pages, 2012.
- D. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, B. K. Kim, M. C. Yang, and J. Y. Ma, “Antiasthmatic effects of herbal complex MA and its fermented product MA128,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 769508, 12 pages, 2012.
- C. Li, G. Yang, and J. Ruan, “Sphingosine kinase-1/sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor type 1 signalling axis is induced by transforming growth factor-β1 and stimulates cell migration in RAW264. 7 macrophages,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 426, no. 3, pp. 415–420, 2012.
- J. W. Rhee, K. W. Lee, D. Kim et al., “NF-κB-dependent regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene expression by lipopolysaccharide in a macrophage cell line RAW 264.7,” Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 88–94, 2007.
- A. Kim, M. J. Kim, Y. Yang, J. W. Kim, Y. I. Yeom, and J. S. Lim, “Suppression of NF-κB activity by NDRG2 expression attenuates the invasive potential of highly malignant tumor cells,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 927–936, 2009.
- H. Y. Jo, Y. Kim, S. Y. Nam et al., “The inhibitory effect of quercitrin gallate on iNOS expression induced by lipopolysaccharide in Balb/c mice,” Journal of Veterinary Science, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 267–272, 2008.
- H. Y. Kim, J. K. Kim, J. H. Choi et al., “Hepatoprotective effect of pinoresinol on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damage in mice,” Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 105–112, 2010.
- T. J. Guzik, R. Korbut, and T. Adamek-Guzik, “Nitric oxide and superoxide in inflammation and immune regulation,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 469–487, 2003.
- G. J. Southan and C. Szabó, “Selective pharmacological inhibition of distinct nitric oxide synthase isoforms,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 383–394, 1996.
- A. R. Brasier, “The NF-κB regulatory network,” Cardiovascular Toxicology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 111–130, 2006.
- T. D. Gilmore, “Multiple mutations contribute to the oncogenicity of the retroviral oncoprotein v-Rel,” Oncogene, vol. 18, no. 49, pp. 6925–6937, 1999.
- T. D. Gilmore, “Introduction to NF-κB: players, pathways, perspectives,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 51, pp. 6680–6684, 2006.
- N. D. Perkins, “Integrating cell-signalling pathways with NF-κB and IKK function,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 49–62, 2007.
- B. Tian and A. R. Brasier, “Identification of a nuclear factor κ B-dependent gene network,” Recent Progress in Hormone Research, vol. 58, pp. 95–130, 2003.
- F. Chen, D. C. Kuhn, S. C. Sun, L. J. Gaydos, and L. M. Demers, “Dependence and reversal of nitric oxide production on NF-κB in silica and lipopolysaccharide-induced macrophages,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 214, no. 3, pp. 839–846, 1995.
- A. K. Roshak, J. R. Jackson, K. McGough, M. Chabot-Fletcher, E. Mochan, and L. A. Marshall, “Manipulation of distinct NFκB proteins alters interleukin-1β-induced human rheumatoid synovial fibroblast prostaglandin E2 formation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 49, pp. 31496–31501, 1996.
- J. F. Schmedtje Jr., Y. S. Ji, W. L. Liu, R. N. DuBois, and M. S. Runge, “Hypoxia induces cyclooxygenase-2 via the NF-κB p65 transcription factor in human vascular endothelial cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 1, pp. 601–608, 1997.
- W. Xie, J. R. Merrill, W. S. Bradshaw, and D. L. Simmons, “Structural determination and promoter analysis of the chicken mitogen-inducible prostaglandin G/H synthase gene and genetic mapping of the murine homolog,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 300, no. 1, pp. 247–252, 1993.
- Q. W. Xie, Y. Kashiwabara, and C. Nathan, “Role of transcription factor NF-κB/Rel in induction of nitric oxide synthase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 7, pp. 4705–4708, 1994.
- K. S. Ahn, E. J. Noh, H. L. Zhao, S. H. Jung, S. S. Kang, and Y. S. Kim, “Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase II by Platycodon grandiflorum saponins via suppression of nuclear factor-κB activation in RAW 264.7 cells,” Life Sciences, vol. 76, no. 20, pp. 2315–2328, 2005.
- P. J. Barnes and M. Karin, “Nuclear factor-κB—a pivotal transcription factor in chronic inflammatory diseases,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 336, no. 15, pp. 1066–1071, 1997.
- Y. C. Chen, L. L. Yang, and T. J. F. Lee, “Oroxylin A inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-induced iNOS and COX-2 gene expression via suppression of nuclear factor-κB activation,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1445–1457, 2000.
- Y. M. Kim, B. S. Lee, K. Y. Yi, and S. G. Paik, “Upstream NF-(κ)B site is required for the maximal expression of mouse inducible nitric oxide synthase gene in interferon-γ plus lipopolysaccharide-induced RAW 264.7 macrophages,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 236, no. 3, pp. 655–660, 1997.
- M. Caivano, “Role of MAP kinase cascades in inducing arginine transporters and nitric oxide synthetase in RAW264 macrophages,” FEBS Letters, vol. 429, no. 3, pp. 249–253, 1998.
- I. G. Chae, M. H. Yu, N. K. Im et al., “Effect of Rosemarinus officinalis L. on MMP-9, MCP-1 levels, and cell migration in RAW 264. 7 and smooth muscle cells,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 879–886, 2012.
- C. S. Seo, J. A. Lee, D. Jung et al., “Simultaneous determination of liquiritin, hesperidin, and glycyrrhizin by HPLC-photodiode array detection and the anti-inflammatory effect of Pyungwi-san,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 203–210, 2011.
- D. Zhao, M. N. Islam, B. R. Ahn, H. A. Jung, B. W. Kim, and J. S. Choi, “In vitro antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Angelica decursiva,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 179–192, 2012.
- J. Wu, J. Zhou, X. Chen et al., “Attenuation of LPS-induced inflammation by ICT, a derivate of icariin, via inhibition of the CD14/TLR4 signaling pathway in human monocytes,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 74–79, 2012.
- C. Q. Xu, B. J. Liu, J. F. Wu et al., “Icariin attenuates LPS-induced acute inflammatory responses: involvement of PI3K/Akt and NFκB signaling pathway,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 642, no. 1–3, pp. 146–153, 2010.
- H. Honda, Y. Nagai, T. Matsunaga et al., “Glycyrrhizin and isoliquiritigenin suppress the LPS sensor Toll-like receptor 4/MD-2 complex signaling in a different manner,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 967–976, 2012.
- J. H. Kim, J. H. Jeong, S. T. Jeon et al., “Decursin inhibits induction of inflammatory mediators by blocking nuclear factor-κB activation in macrophages,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1783–1790, 2006.