- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 485262, 10 pages
Dual Roles of Quercetin in Platelets: Phosphoinositide-3-Kinase and MAP Kinases Inhibition, and cAMP-Dependent Vasodilator-Stimulated Phosphoprotein Stimulation
1Laboratory of Physiology & Cell Signaling, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
2Department of Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
3Department of Genetic Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440-746, Republic of Korea
Received 25 August 2012; Revised 29 October 2012; Accepted 30 October 2012
Academic Editor: Kashmira Nanji
Copyright © 2012 Won Jun Oh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Garcia, T. M. Quinton, R. T. Dorsam, and S. P. Kunapuli, “Src family kinase-mediated and Erk-mediated thromboxane A2 generation are essential for VWF/GPIb-induced fibrinogen receptor activation in human platelets,” Blood, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 3410–3414, 2005.
- N. E. Barrett, L. Holbrook, S. Jones et al., “Future innovations in anti-platelet therapies,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 154, no. 5, pp. 918–939, 2008.
- Z. Li, J. Ajdic, M. Eigenthaler, and X. Du, “A predominant role for cAMP-dependent protein kinase in the cGMP-induced phosphorylation of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein and platelet inhibition in humans,” Blood, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 4423–4429, 2003.
- S. S. Smyth, D. S. Woulfe, J. I. Weitz et al., “G-protein-coupled receptors as signaling targets for antiplatelet therapy,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 449–457, 2009.
- D. Yacoub, J. F. Théorêt, L. Villeneuve et al., “Essential role of protein kinase Cδ in platelet signaling, αIIbβ3 activation, and thromboxane A2 release,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 40, pp. 30024–30035, 2006.
- J. Vallés, M. Teresa Santos, J. Aznar et al., “Platelet-erythrocyte interactions enhance αIIbβ3 integrin receptor activation and P-selectin expression during platelet recruitment: down-regulation by aspirin ex vivo,” Blood, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 3978–3984, 2002.
- A. Zarbock, R. K. Polanowska-Grabowska, and K. Ley, “Platelet-neutrophil-interactions: linking hemostasis and inflammation,” Blood Reviews, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 99–111, 2007.
- P. Libby, “Inflammatory mechanisms: the molecular basis of inflammation and disease,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 65, no. s3, pp. S140–S146, 2007.
- M. H. Pan, C. S. Lai, S. Dushenkov, and C. T. Ho, “Modulation of inflammatory genes by natural dietary bioactive compounds,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 4467–4477, 2009.
- W. M. Loke, J. M. Proudfoot, J. M. Hodgson et al., “Specific dietary polyphenols attenuate atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein e-knockout mice by alleviating inflammation and endothelial dysfunction,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 749–757, 2010.
- R. R. Huxley and H. A. W. Neil, “The relation between dietary flavonol intake and coronary heart disease mortality: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 904–908, 2003.
- J. M. Geleijnse, L. J. Launer, D. A. M. van der Kuip, A. Hofman, and J. C. M. Witteman, “Inverse association of tea and flavonoid intakes with incident myocardial infarction: the Rotterdam study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 880–886, 2002, http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/5/880.abstract.
- P. Castilla, R. Echarri, A. Dávalos et al., “Concentrated red grape juice exerts antioxidant, hypolipidemic, and antiinflammatory effects in both hemodialysis patients and healthy subjects,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 252–262, 2006, http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/84/1/252.abstract.
- T. L. Zern, R. J. Wood, C. Greene et al., “Grape polyphenols exert a cardioprotective effect in pre- and postmenopausal women by lowering plasma lipids and reducing oxidative stress,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 135, no. 8, pp. 1911–1917, 2005, http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/8/1911.abstract.
- M. Comalada, I. Ballester, E. Bailón et al., “Inhibition of pro-inflammatory markers in primary bone marrow-derived mouse macrophages by naturally occurring flavonoids: analysis of the structure-activity relationship,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 72, no. 8, pp. 1010–1021, 2006.
- M. Russo, C. Spagnuolo, I. Tedesco, S. Bilotto, and G. L. Russo, “The flavonoid quercetin in disease prevention and therapy: facts and fancies,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 6–15, 2012.
- T. K. Kao, Y. C. Ou, S. L. Raung, C. Y. Lai, S. L. Liao, and C. J. Chen, “Inhibition of nitric oxide production by quercetin in endotoxin/cytokine-stimulated microglia,” Life Sciences, vol. 86, no. 9-10, pp. 315–321, 2010.
- J. Schaeffer and M. P. Blaustein, “Platelet free calcium concentrations measured with fura-2 are influenced by the transmembrane sodium gradient,” Cell Calcium, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 101–113, 1989.
- A. Aszódi, A. Pfeifer, M. Ahmad et al., “The vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein (VASP) is involved in cGMP- and cAMP-mediated inhibition of agonist-induced platelet aggregation, but is dispensable for smooth muscle function,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 37–48, 1999.
- D. A. Calderwood, “Integrin activation,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 117, pp. 657–666, 2004.
- Z. M. Ruggeri, “Platelets in atherothrombosis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 1227–1234, 2002.
- P. Flevaris, Z. Li, G. Zhang, Y. Zheng, J. Liu, and X. Du, “Two distinct roles of mitogen-activated protein kinases in platelets and a novel Rac1-MAPK-dependent integrin outside-in retractile signaling pathway,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 893–901, 2009.
- J. M. Gibbins, “Platelet adhesion signalling and the regulation of thrombus formation,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 117, no. 16, pp. 3415–3425, 2004.
- P. Knekt, J. Kumpulainen, R. Järvinen et al., “Flavonoid intake and risk of chronic diseases,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 560–568, 2002, http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/3/560.
- A. Annapurna, C. S. Reddy, R. B. Akondi, and S. R. C. Rao, “Cardioprotective actions of two bioflavonoids, quercetin and rutin, in experimental myocardial infarction in both normal and streptozotocin-induced type I diabetic rats,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 1365–1374, 2009.
- P. Pignatelli, F. M. Pulcinelli, A. Celestini et al., “The flavonoids quercetin and catechin synergistically inhibit platelet function by antagonizing the intracellular production of hydrogen peroxide,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 1150–1155, 2000.
- G. P. Hubbard, J. M. Stevens, M. Cicmil et al., “Quercetin inhibits collagen-stimulated platelet activation through inhibition of multiple components of the glycoprotein VI signaling pathway,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 1079–1088, 2003.
- A. D. Santo, A. Mezzetti, E. Napoleone et al., “Resveratrol and quercetin down-regulate tissue factor expression by human stimulated vascular cells,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 1089–1095, 2003.
- J. V. Formica, “Review of the biology of quercetin and related bioflavonoids,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1061–1080, 1995.
- J. A. Guerrero, M. L. Lozano, J. Castillo, O. Benavente-García, V. Vicente, and J. Rivera, “Flavonoids inhibit platelet function through binding to the thromboxane A2 receptor,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 369–376, 2005.
- J. A. Guerrero, L. Navarro-Nuñez, M. L. Lozano et al., “Flavonoids inhibit the platelet TxA2 signalling pathway and antagonize TxA2 receptors (TP) in platelets and smooth muscle cells,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 133–144, 2007.
- E. H. Walker, M. E. Pacold, O. Perisic et al., “Structural determinants of phosphoinositide 3-kinase inhibition by wortmannin, LY294002, quercetin, myricetin, and staurosporine,” Molecular Cell, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 909–919, 2000.
- L. Gamet-Payrastre, S. Manenti, M. P. Gratacap, J. Tulliez, H. Chap, and B. Payrastre, “Flavonoids and the inhibition of PKC and PI 3-kinase,” General Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 279–286, 1999.
- C. J. Vlahos, W. F. Matter, K. Y. Hui, and R. F. Brown, “A specific inhibitor of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, 2-(4-morpholinyl)-8-phenyl-4H-1-benzopyran-4-one (LY294002),” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 7, pp. 5241–5248, 1994, http://www.jbc.org/content/269/7/5241.abstract.
- B. Nieswandt, D. Varga-Szabo, and M. Elvers, “Integrins in platelet activation,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 206–209, 2009.
- F. Morello, A. Perino, and E. Hirsch, “Phosphoinositide 3-kinase signalling in the vascular system,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 261–271, 2009.
- J. Chen, S. De, D. S. Damron, W. S. Chen, N. Hay, and T. V. Byzova, “Impaired platelet responses to thrombin and collagen in AKT-1-deficient mice,” Blood, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 1703–1710, 2004.
- H. Kariyazono, K. Nakamura, T. Shinkawa, T. Yamaguchi, R. Sakata, and K. Yamada, “Inhibition of platelet aggregation and the release of P-selectin from platelets by cilostazol,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 445–453, 2001.
- T. Sudo, H. Ito, and Y. Kimura, “Phosphorylation of the vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein (VASP) by the anti-platelet drug, cilostazol, in platelets,” Platelets, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 381–390, 2003.
- T. Kitamura, Y. Kitamura, S. Kuroda et al., “Insulin-induced phosphorylation and activation of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 3B by the serine-threonine kinase Akt,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 6286–6296, 1999, http://mcb.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/9/6286.
- W. Zhang and R. W. Colman, “Thrombin regulates intracellular cyclic AMP concentration in human platelets through phosphorylation/activation of phosphodiesterase 3A,” Blood, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 1475–1482, 2007.
- H. Hayashi and T. Sudo, “Effects of the cAMP-elevating agents cilostamide, cilostazol and forskolin on the phosphorylation of Akt and GSK-3β in platelets,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 327–335, 2009.
- E. C. G. Jackson and A. McNicol, “Cyclic nucleotides inhibit MAP kinase activity in low-dose collagen-stimulated platelets,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 147–151, 2010.
- S. Beppu, Y. Nakajima, M. Shibasaki et al., “Phosphodiesterase 3 inhibition reduces platelet activation and monocyte tissue factor expression in knee arthroplasty patients,” Anesthesiology, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 1227–1237, 2009.
- H. S. Lee, S. D. Kim, W. M. Lee et al., “A noble function of BAY 11-7082: inhibition of platelet aggregation mediated by an elevated cAMP-induced VASP, and decreased ERK2/JNK1 phosphorylations,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 627, no. 1–3, pp. 85–91, 2010.
- M. Endale, W. M. Lee, S. M. Kamruzzaman et al., “Ginsenoside-Rp1 inhibits platelet activation and thrombus formation via impaired glycoprotein VI signalling pathway, tyrosine phosphorylation and MAPK activation,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 109–127, 2012.
- S. Roger, M. Pawlowski, A. Habib, M. Jandrot-Perrus, J. P. Rosa, and M. Bryckaert, “Costimulation of the Gi-coupled ADP receptor and the Gq-coupled TXA 2 receptor is required for ERK2 activation in collagen-induced platelet aggregation,” FEBS Letters, vol. 556, no. 1–3, pp. 227–235, 2004.
- K. Fälker, D. Lange, and P. Presek, “ADP secretion and subsequent P2Y12 receptor signalling play a crucial role in thrombin-induced ERK2 activation in human platelets,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 114–123, 2004.
- A. Kauskot, F. Adam, A. Mazharian et al., “Involvement of the mitogen-activated protein kinase c-Jun NH 2-terminal kinase 1 in thrombus formation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 44, pp. 31990–31999, 2007.
- A. Mazharian, S. Roger, P. Maurice et al., “Differential involvement of ERK2 and p38 in platelet adhesion to collagen,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 28, pp. 26002–26010, 2005.
- R. M. Kramer, E. F. Roberts, B. A. Strifler, and E. M. Johnstone, “Thrombin induces activation of p38 MAP kinase in human platelets,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 46, pp. 27395–27398, 1995.
- A. Kuliopulos, R. Mohanlal, and L. Covic, “Effect of selective inhibition of the p38 MAP kinase pathway on platelet aggregation,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1387–1393, 2004.
- F. Adam, A. Kauskot, J. P. Rosa, and M. Bryckaert, “Mitogen-activated protein kinases in hemostasis and thrombosis,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 2007–2016, 2008.
- S. R. Steinhubl and D. J. Moliterno, “The role of the platelet in the pathogenesis of atherothrombosis,” American Journal of Cardiovascular Drugs, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 399–408, 2005.