- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 490843, 12 pages
Effects and Interaction of Icariin, Curculigoside, and Berberine in Er-Xian Decoction, a Traditional Chinese Medicinal Formula, on Osteoclastic Bone Resorption
1School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, China
2Department of Pharmaceutical, PLA 455 Hospital, Shanghai 200052, China
3School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Byrom Street, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK
Received 11 July 2012; Revised 9 September 2012; Accepted 24 September 2012
Academic Editor: Norazlina Mohamed
Copyright © 2012 Liming Xue et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. F. Cheng, K. S. Leung, and P. C. Leung, “Interactions between modern and Chinese medicinal drugs: a general review,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 163–169, 2003.
- X. J. Li and H. Y. Zhang, “Synergy in natural medicines: implications for drug discovery,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 331–332, 2008.
- E. M. Williamson, “Synergy and other interactions in phytomedicines,” Phytomedicine, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 401–409, 2001.
- Z. Cole, E. Dennison, and C. Cooper, “Update on the treatment of post-menopausal osteoporosis,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 129–143, 2008.
- M. Błazej and C. Adam, “Selective estrogen receptor modulators in treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis,” Ginekologia Polska, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 213–217, 2009.
- G. D. Roodman, “Advances in bone biology: the osteoclast,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 308–332, 1996.
- K. T. Steeve, P. Marc, T. Sandrine, H. Dominique, and F. Yannick, “IL-6, RANKL, TNF-alpha/IL-1: interrelations in bone resorption pathophysiology,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 49–60, 2004.
- L. G. Raisz, “Pathogenesis of osteoporosis: concepts, conflicts, and prospects,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 3318–3325, 2005.
- Z. H. Lee and H. H. Kim, “Signal transduction by receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B in osteoclasts,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 305, no. 2, pp. 211–214, 2003.
- B. R. Wong, D. Besser, N. Kim et al., “TRANCE, a TNF family member, activates Akt/PKB through a signaling complex involving TRAF6 and c-Src,” Molecular Cell, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1041–1049, 1999.
- H. Takayanagi, S. Kim, T. Koga et al., “Induction and activation of the transcription factor NFATc1 (NFAT2) integrate RANKL signaling in terminal differentiation of osteoclasts,” Developmental Cell, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 889–901, 2002.
- N. Ishida, K. Hayashi, M. Hoshijima et al., “Large scale gene expression analysis of osteoclastogenesis in vitro and elucidation of NFAT2 as a key regulator,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 43, pp. 41147–41156, 2002.
- W. J. Boyle, W. S. Simonet, and D. L. Lacey, “Osteoclast differentiation and activation,” Nature, vol. 423, no. 6937, pp. 337–342, 2003.
- H. Y. Chen, W. C. S. Cho, S. C. W. Sze, and Y. Tong, “Treatment of menopausal symptoms with er-xian decoction: a systematic review,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 233–244, 2008.
- H. Nian, L. P. Qin, Q. Y. Zhang, H. C. Zheng, Y. Yu, and B. K. Huang, “Antiosteoporotic activity of Er-Xian Decoction, a traditional Chinese herbal formula, in ovariectomized rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2006.
- L. Qin, T. Han, Q. Zhang et al., “Antiosteoporotic chemical constituents from Er-Xian Decoction, a traditional Chinese herbal formula,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 271–279, 2008.
- J. J. Li, J. T. Li, and J. P. Fu, “Erxian Tang—introduction of a Chinese herbal formula, clinical practice, and experimental studies,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2007.
- Z. D. Liu, H. S. Zang, and Y. P. Ou-Yang, “Biological study of growth pattern of newborn rat calvaria osteoblastic cell in vitro,” Acta Anatomica Sinica, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 157–159, 1995.
- Z. J. Jin, “Addition in drug combination,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 70–76, 1980.
- P. Han, F. M. Shen, H. H. Xie et al., “The combination of atenolol and amlodipine is better than their monotherapy for preventing end-organ damage in different types of hypertension in rats,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 726–734, 2009.
- P. Garnero, O. Borel, I. Byrjalsen et al., “The collagenolytic activity of cathepsin K is unique among mammalian proteinases,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 48, pp. 32347–32352, 1999.
- S. L. Teitelbaum, “Osteoclast and its unique cytoskeleton,” Annals of the New York Academy of Science, vol. 1240, no. 1, pp. 14–17, 2011.
- S. Khosla, “Minireview: the OPG/RANKL/RANK system,” Endocrinology, vol. 142, no. 12, pp. 5050–5055, 2001.
- M. Matsumoto, T. Sudo, T. Saito, H. Osada, and M. Tsujimoto, “Involvement of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway in osteoclastogenesis mediated by receptor activator of NF-κB ligand (RANKL),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 40, pp. 31155–31161, 2000.
- X. H. Liu, A. Kirschenbaum, S. Yao, and A. C. Levine, “Cross-talk between the interleukin-6 and prostaglandin E2 signaling systems results in enhancement of osteoclastogenesis through effects on the osteoprotegerin/receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB (RANK) ligand/RANK system,” Endocrinology, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 1991–1998, 2005.
- J. P. David, K. Sabapathy, O. Hoffman, M. H. Idarraga, and E. F. Wagner, “JNK1 modulates osteoclastogenesis through both c-Jun phosphorylation-dependent and -independent mechanisms,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 115, no. 22, pp. 4317–4325, 2002.
- M. Cicek, A. Vrabel, C. Sturchio et al., “TGF-β inducible early gene 1 regulates osteoclast differentiation and survival by mediating the NFATc1, AKT, and MEK/ERK signaling pathways,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 3, Article ID e17522, 2011.
- J. Qiu, “Traditional medicine: a culture in the balance,” Nature, vol. 448, no. 7150, pp. 126–128, 2007.
- J. Huang, L. Yuan, X. Wang, T. L. Zhang, and K. Wang, “Icaritin and its glycosides enhance osteoblastic, but suppress osteoclastic, differentiation and activity in vitro,” Life Sciences, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 832–840, 2007.
- T. P. Hsieh, S. Y. Sheu, J. S. Sun, M. H. Chen, and M. H. Liu, “Icariin isolated from Epimedium pubescens regulates osteoblasts anabolism through BMP-2, SMAD4, and Cbfa1 expression,” Phytomedicine, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 414–423, 2010.
- M. S. Wong, S. K. Mok, W. F. Chen et al., “Icariin protects against bone loss induced by oestrogen deficiency and activates oestrogen receptor-dependent osteoblastic functions in UMR 106 cells,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 939–949, 2010.
- J. Zhao, S. Ohba, M. Shinkai, U. I. Chung, and T. Nagamune, “Icariin induces osteogenic differentiation in vitro in a BMP- and Runx2-dependent manner,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 369, no. 2, pp. 444–448, 2008.
- T. P. Hsieh, S. Y. Sheu, J. S. Sun, and M. H. Chen, “Icariin inhibits osteoclast differentiation and bone resorption by suppression of MAPKs/NF-κB regulated HIF-1α and PGE2 synthesis,” Phytomedicine, vol. 18, no. 2-3, pp. 176–185, 2011.
- C. Ma, J. Zhang, J. Fu, L. Cheng, G. Zhao, and Y. Gu, “Up-regulation of VEGF by MC3T3-E1 cells treated with curculigoside,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 922–926, 2011.
- L. Jiao, D. P. Cao, L. P. Qin et al., “Antiosteoporotic activity of phenolic compounds from Curculigo orchioides,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 874–881, 2009.
- Y. Wang, Y. Wang, L. Zhao et al., “Curculigoside isolated from Curculigo orchioides prevents hydrogen peroxide-induced dysfunction and oxidative damage in calvarial osteoblasts,” Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 431–441, 2012.
- J. P. Hu, K. Nishishita, E. Sakai et al., “Berberine inhibits RANKL-induced osteoclast formation and survival through suppressing the NF-κB and Akt pathways,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 580, no. 1-2, pp. 70–79, 2008.
- W. L. Hyun, H. S. Jung, H. N. Kim et al., “Berberine promotes osteoblast differentiation by Runx2 activation with p38 MAPK,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1227–1237, 2008.