- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 501796, 15 pages
Fermented Mistletoe Extract as a Multimodal Antitumoral Agent in Gliomas
1Laboratory for Molecular Neuro-Oncology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research and Center Neurology, University of Tübingen, Otfried-Müller-Straße 27, 72076 Tübingen, Germany
2Institute of Neurology (Edinger-Institute), Goethe University of Frankfurt, Heinrich-Hoffmann-Straße 7, 60528 Frankfurt, Germany
3Neuroimmunology, Department of General Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research and Center Neurology, University of Tübingen, Otfried-Müller-Straße 27, 72076 Tübingen, Germany
Received 26 July 2012; Accepted 5 September 2012
Academic Editor: Arndt Büssing
Copyright © 2012 Oliver Podlech et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Stupp, W. P. Mason, M. J. Van Den Bent et al., “Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 10, pp. 987–996, 2005.
- M. Hermisson, A. Klumpp, W. Wick et al., “O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase and p53 status predict temozolomide sensitivity in human malignant glioma cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 766–776, 2006.
- M. Weller, J. Rieger, C. Grimmel et al., “Predicting chemoresistance in human malignant glioma cells: the role of molecular genetic analyses,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 640–644, 1998.
- M. Weller and A. Fontana, “The failure of current immunotherapy for malignant glioma. Tumor-derived TGF-β, T-cell apoptosis, and the immune privilege of the brain,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 128–151, 1995.
- M. Platten, W. Wick, and M. Weller M, “Malignant glioma biology: role for TGF-beta in growth, motility, angiogenesis, and immune escape,” Microscopic Research Technology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 401–410, 2001.
- G. Nikolai, P. Friedl, M. Werner, B. Niggemann, and K. S. Zänker, “Effect of a mistletoe extract (Iscador® QuFrF) on viability and migratory behavior of human peripheral CD4+ and CD8+ T lymphocytes in three-dimensional collagen lattices,” In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 710–716, 1997.
- A. Gren, “Effects of Iscador preparations on the reactivity of mouse immune system,” Neuroendocrinology Letters, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 530–534, 2009.
- C. H. Lee, J. K. Kim, H. Y. Kim, S. M. Park, and S. M. Lee, “Immunomodulating effects of Korean mistletoe lectin in vitro and in vivo,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 9, no. 13-14, pp. 1555–1561, 2009.
- S. Braedel-Ruoff, “Immunomodulatory effects of Viscum album extracts on natural killer cells: review of clinical trials,” Forschende Komplementarmedizin, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 63–73, 2010.
- G. M. Stein, A. Büssing, and M. Schietzel, “Stimulation of the maturation of dendritic cells in vitro by a fermented mistletoe extract,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 4215–4219, 2002.
- T. Hajtó, K. Fodor, P. Perjési, and P. Németh, “Difficulties and perspectives of immunomodulatory therapy with mistletoe lectins and standardized mistletoe extracts in evidence-based medicine,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 298972, 6 pages, 2011.
- N. E. Gardin, “Immunological response to mistletoe (Viscum album L.) in cancer patients: a four-case series,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 407–411, 2009.
- H. J. Park, J. H. Hong, H. J. Kwon et al., “TLR4-mediated activation of mouse macrophages by Korean mistletoe lectin-C (KML-C),” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 396, no. 3, pp. 721–725, 2010.
- F. Stirpe, K. Sandvig, S. Olsnes, and A. Pihl, “Action of viscumin, a toxic lectin from mistletoe, on cells in culture,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 257, no. 22, pp. 13271–13277, 1982.
- A. Büssing and M. Schietzel, “Apoptosis-inducing properties of Viscum album L. extracts from different host trees, correlate with their content of toxic mistletoe lectins,” Anticancer Research, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 1999.
- A. Büssing, K. Suzart, and K. Schweizer, “Differences in the apoptosis-inducing properties of Viscum album L. extracts,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 8, no. 1, supplement, pp. S9–S14, 1997.
- A. M. Burger, U. Mengs, J. B. Schüler, and H. H. Fiebig, “Antiproliferative activity of an aqueous mistletoe extract in human tumor cell lines and xenografts in vitro,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 748–757, 2001.
- W. B. Park, S. Y. Lyu, J. H. Kim et al., “Inhibition of tumor growth and metastasis by Korean mistletoe lectin is associated with apoptosis and antiangiogenesis,” Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 439–447, 2001.
- S. H. Choi, S. Y. Lyu, and W. B. Park, “Mistletoe lectin induces apoptosis and telomerase inhibition in human A253 cancer cells through dephosphorylation of Akt,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 68–76, 2004.
- S. Y. Lyu, W. B. Park, K. H. Choi, and W. H. Kim, “Involvement of caspase-3 in apoptosis induced by Viscum album var. coloratum agglutinin in HL-60 cells,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 534–541, 2001.
- S. Y. Lyu and W. B. Park, “Mistletoe lectin (Viscum album coloratum) modulates proliferation and cytokine expressions in murine splenocytes,” Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 662–670, 2006.
- A. Thies, P. Dautel, A. Meyer, U. Pfüller, and U. Schumacher, “Low-dose mistletoe lectin-I reduces melanoma growth and spread in a scid mouse xenograft model,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 106–112, 2008.
- J. Beuth, H. L. Ko, H. Schneider et al., “Intratumoral application of standardized mistletoe extracts down regulates tumor weight via decreased cell proliferation, increased apoptosis and necrosis in a murine model,” Anticancer Research, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 4451–4456, 2006.
- I. F. Pryme, S. Bardocz, A. Pusztai, and S. W. B. Ewen, “Suppression of growth of tumour cell lines in vitro and tumours in vivo by mistletoe lectins,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 21, no. 1–3, pp. 285–299, 2006.
- A. M. Burger, U. Mengs, J. B. Schüler, and H. H. Fiebig, “Anticancer activity of an aqueous mistletoe extract (AME) in syngeneic murine tumor models,” Anticancer Research, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 1965–1968, 2001.
- D. Lenartz, J. Andermahr, G. Plum, J. Menzel, and J. Beuth, “Efficiency of treatment with galactoside-specific lectin from mistletoe against rat glioma,” Anticancer Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 1011–1014, 1998.
- A. Büssing, C. Raak, and T. Ostermann, “Quality of life and related dimensions in cancer patients treated with mistletoe extract (Iscador): a meta-analysis,” Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 219402, 8 pages, 2012.
- H. Matthes, W. E. Friedel, P. R. Bock, and K. S. Zänker, “Molecular mistletoe therapy: friend or foe in established antitumor protocols? a multicenter, controlled, retrospective pharmaco-epidemiological study in pancreas cancer,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 430–439, 2010.
- G. S. Kienle and H. Kiene, “Influence of Viscum album L (European Mistletoe) extracts on quality of life in cancer patients: a systematic review of controlled clinical studies,” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 142–157, 2010.
- T. Ostermann, C. Raak, and A. Büssing, “Survival of cancer patients treated with mistletoe extract (Iscador): a systematic literature review,” BMC Cancer, vol. 9, article 451, 2009.
- R. Ziegler and R. Grossarth-Maticek, “Individual patient data meta-analysis of survival and psychosomatic self-regulation from published prospective controlled cohort studies for long-term therapy of breast cancer patients with a mistletoe preparation (Iscador),” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 157–166, 2010.
- D. Lenartz, U. Dott, J. Menzel, J. M. Schierholz, and J. Beuth, “Survival of glioma patients after complementary treatment with galactoside-specific lectin from mistletoe,” Anticancer Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 2073–2076, 2000.
- M. A. Friese, M. Platten, S. Z. Lutz et al., “MICA/NKG2D-mediated immunogene therapy of experimental gliomas,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 24, pp. 8996–9006, 2003.
- S. Antony, R. Kuttan, and G. Kuttan, “Role of natural killer cells in Iscador mediated inhibition of metastasis by adoptive immunotherapy,” Immunological Investigations, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 219–231, 2000.
- N. Ishii, D. Maier, A. Merlo et al., “Frequent co-alterations of TP53, p16/CDKN2A, p14(ARF), PTEN tumor suppressor genes in human glioma cell lines,” Brain Pathology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 469–479, 1999.
- T. E. Vanmeter, H. K. Rooprai, M. M. Kibble, H. L. Fillmore, W. C. Broaddus, and G. J. Pilkington, “The role of matrix metalloproteinase genes in glioma invasion: co-dependent and interactive proteolysis,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 213–235, 2001.
- W. Wick, M. Platten, and M. Weller, “Glioma cell invasion: regulation of metalloproteinase activity by TGF-β,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 177–185, 2001.
- G. J. Pilkington, J. L. Darling, P. L. Lantos, and D. G. T. Thomas, “Cell lines (VMDk) derived from a spontaneous murine astrocytoma. Morphological and immunocytochemical characterization,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 62, no. 1–3, pp. 115–139, 1983.
- G. J. Pilkington, J. L. Darling, P. L. Lantos, and D. G. T. Thomas, “Tumorigenicity of cell lines (VMDk) derived from a spontaneous murine astrocytoma. Histology, fine structure and immunocytochemistry of tumours,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 71, no. 2-3, pp. 145–164, 1985.
- U. Naumann, S. Kügler, H. Wolburg et al., “Chimeric tumor suppressor 1, a p53-derived chimeric tumor suppressor gene, kills p53 mutant and p53 wild-type glioma cells in synergy with irradiation and CD95 ligand,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 15, pp. 5833–5842, 2001.
- J. Seznec, B. Silkenstedt, and U. Naumann, “Therapeutic effects of the Sp1 inhibitor mithramycin A in glioblastoma,” Jorunal of Neurooncology, vol. 101, pp. 365–377, 2011.
- S. A. Steinle, P. Li, D. L. Morris et al., “Interactions of human NKG2D with its ligands MICA, MICB, and homologs of the mouse RAE-1 protein family,” Immunogenetics, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 279–287, 2001.
- E. Adamopoulou, J. Diekmann, E. Tolosa et al., “Human CD4+ T cells displaying viral epitopes elicit a functional virus-specific memory CD8+ T cell response,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 178, no. 9, pp. 5465–5472, 2007.
- V. Koka, A. Potti, S. E. Forseen et al., “Role of Her-2/neu overexpression and clinical determinants of early mortality in glioblastoma multiforme,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 332–335, 2003.
- T. Sasaki, M. B. S. Lopes, G. R. Hankins, and G. A. Helm, “Expression of survivin, an inhibitor of apoptosis protein, in tumors of the nervous system,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 105–109, 2002.
- M. M. Georgescu, “Pten tumor suppressor network in PI3K-Akt pathway control,” Genes and Cancer, vol. 1, no. 12, pp. 1170–1177, 2011.
- D. Koul, “PTEN signaling pathways in glioblastoma,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 1321–1325, 2008.
- L. Klampfer, “Signal transducers and activators of transcription (STATs): novel targets of chemopreventive and chemotherapeutic drugs,” Current Cancer Drug Targets, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 107–121, 2006.
- C. Liu, C. Sun, H. Huang, K. Janda, and T. Edgington, “Overexpression of legumain in tumors is significant for invasion/metastasis and a candidate enzymatic target for prodrug therapy,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 2957–2964, 2003.
- M. M. Bernardo and R. Fridman, “TIMP-2 (tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2) regulates MMP-2 (matrix metalloproteinase-2) activity in the extracellular environment after pro-MMP-2 activation by MT1 (membrane type 1)-MMP,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 374, no. 3, pp. 739–745, 2003.
- K. V. Lu, K. A. Jong, A. K. Rajasekaran, T. F. Cloughesy, and P. S. Mischel, “Upregulation of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP)-2 promotes matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 activation and cell invasion in a human glioblastoma cell line,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 8–20, 2004.
- E. I. Deryugina, M. A. Bourdon, G. X. Luo, R. A. Reisfeld, and A. Strongin, “Matrix metalloproteinase-2 activation modulates glioma cell migration,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 110, no. 19, pp. 2473–2482, 1997.
- P. Quo, Y. Imanishi, F. C. Cackowski et al., “Up-regulation of angiopoietin-2, matrix metalloprotease-2, membrane type 1 metalloprotease, and laminin 5 γ 2 correlates with the invasiveness of human glioma,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 877–890, 2005.
- C. Munaut, A. Noël, O. Hougrand, J. M. Foidart, J. Boniver, and M. Deprez, “Vascular endothelial growth factor expression correlates with matrix metalloproteinases MT1-MMP, MMP-2 and MMP-9 in human glioblastomas,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 848–855, 2003.
- O. H. Lee, J. Xu, J. Fueyo et al., “Expression of the receptor tyrosine kinase Tie2 in neoplastic glial cells is associated with integrin β1-dependent adhesion to the extracellular matrix,” Molecular Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 915–926, 2006.
- G. Kuttan and R. Kuttan, “Immunological mechanism of action of the tumor reducing peptide from mistletoe extract (NSC 635089) cellular proliferation,” Cancer Letters, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 123–130, 1992.
- M. Schink, W. Tröger, A. Dabidian et al., “Mistletoe extract reduces the surgical suppression of natural killer cell activity in cancer patients. A randomized phase III trial,” Forschende Komplementarmedizin, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2007.
- M. O. Li, Y. Y. Wan, S. Sanjabi, A. K. L. Robertson, and R. A. Flavell, “Transforming growth factor-β regulation of immune responses,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 24, pp. 99–146, 2006.