- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 506978, 10 pages
The Relationship between Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use and Breast Cancer Early Detection: A Critical Review
School of Population and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, 2206 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Received 13 September 2012; Accepted 30 November 2012
Academic Editor: R. Govindarajan
Copyright © 2012 Laura C. Dale and Carolyn C. Gotay. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Eisenberg, R. B. Davis, S. L. Ettner et al., “Trends in alternative medicine use in the United States, 1990–1997: results of a follow-up national survey,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 280, no. 18, pp. 1569–1575, 1998.
- “National Centre for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, What Is Complementary and Alternative Medicine?” 2011, http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam.
- P. M. Barnes, B. Bloom, and R. L. Nahin, “Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults and children: United States, 2007,” National Health Statistics Reports, no. 12, pp. 1–23, 2008.
- L. Downey, P. T. Tyree, and W. E. Lafferty, “Preventive screening of women who use complementary and alternative medicine providers,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1133–1143, 2009.
- D. M. Upchurch, L. Chyu, G. A. Greendale et al., “Complementary and alternative medicine use among American women: findings from the National Health Interview Survey, 2002,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 102–113, 2007.
- R. L. Nahin, J. M. Dahlhamer, B. L. Taylor et al., “Health behaviors and risk factors in those who use complementary and alternative medicine,” BMC Public Health, vol. 7, article 217, 2007.
- C. M. Gray, A. W. Tan, N. P. Pronk, and P. J. O'Connor, “Complementary and alternative medicine use among health plan members. A cross-sectional survey,” Effective Clinical Practice, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2002.
- J. A. Astin, K. R. Pelletier, A. Marie, and W. L. Haskell, “Complementary and alternative medicine use among elderly persons: one- year analysis of a blue shield Medicare supplement,” The Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. M4–M9, 2000.
- Globocan, “Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide in 2008 Summary,” 2008, http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/cancers/breast.asp.
- US Preventive Services Task Force, “Screening for Breast Cancer,” 2009, http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsbrca.htm.
- Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care, “Screening for breast cancer,” 2011, http://www.canadiantaskforce.ca/recommendations/2011_01_eng.html.
- (American Cancer Society) Cancer Society, “Breast Cancer: Early Detection,” 2011, http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/MoreInformation/BreastCancerEarlyDetection/index.
- Canadian Cancer Society, “Breast cancer,” 2011, http://www.cancer.ca/Canada-wide/Prevention/Getting%20checked/Breast%20cancer%20NEW.aspx?sc_lang=en.
- L. M. DiGianni, H. T. Kim, K. Emmons, R. Gelman, K. J. Kalkbrenner, and J. E. Garber, “Complementary medicine use among women enrolled in a genetic testing program,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 321–326, 2003.
- L. M. DiGianni, M. Rue, K. Emmons, and J. E. Garber, “Complementary medicine use before and 1 year following genetic testing for BRCA1/2 mutations,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 2006.
- B. G. Druss and R. A. Rosenheck, “Association between use of unconventional therapies and conventional medical services,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 7, pp. 651–656, 1999.
- K. M. Field, M. A. Jenkins, M. L. Friedlander et al., “Predictors of the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) by women at high risk for breast cancer,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 551–560, 2009.
- S. Gollschewski, D. Anderson, H. Skerman, and F. Lyons-Wall, “Associations between the use of complementary and alternative medications and demographic, health and lifestyle factors in mid-life Australian women,” Climacteric, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 271–278, 2005.
- C. M. Mueller, P. L. Mai, J. Bucher, J. A. Peters, J. T. Loud, and M. H. Greene, “Complementary and alternative medicine use among women at increased genetic risk of breast and ovarian cancer,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 8, article 17, 2008.
- C. D. Myers, P. B. Jacobsen, Y. Huang et al., “Familial and perceived risk of breast cancer in relation to use of complementary medicine,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1527–1534, 2008.
- A. R. Robinson, L. A. Crane, A. J. Davidson, and J. F. Steiner, “Association between use of complementary/alternative medicine and health-related behaviors among health fair participants,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2002.
- “STROBE Statement. Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology,” http://www.strobe-statement.org/.
- K. Brain, P. Norman, J. Gray, and R. Mansel, “Anxiety and adherence to breast self-examination in women with a family history of breast cancer,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 1999.
- F. L. Bishop and G. T. Lewith, “Who uses CAM a narrative review of demographic characteristics and health factors associated with CAM use,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 11–28, 2010.
- C. Lerman, B. Rimer, B. Trock, A. Balshem, and P. F. Engstrom, “Factors associated with repeat adherence to breast cancer screening,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 279–290, 1990.
- B. J. Dunigan, T. K. King, and B. J. Morse, “A preliminary examination of the effect of massage on state body image,” Body Image, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 411–414, 2011.
- M. T. Mandelson, N. Oestreicher, P. L. Porter et al., “Breast density as a predictor of mammographic detection: comparison of interval- and screen-detected cancers,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 92, no. 13, pp. 1081–1087, 2000.