- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 509451, 8 pages
Gastric Ulcers in Middle-Aged Rats: The Healing Effect of Essential Oil from Citrus aurantium L. (Rutaceae)
1Department of Physiology, Institute of Biosciences, Botucatu, 18618-970, SP, Brazil
2Department of Morphology, Institute of Biosciences, São Paulo State University (UNESP), Botucatu, 18618-970, SP, Brazil
3Agronomic Institute of Campinas (IAC), Campinas, P.O. Box 28, 13012-970, SP, Brazil
Received 13 July 2012; Accepted 22 September 2012
Academic Editor: Guillermo Schmeda-Hirschmann
Copyright © 2012 C. M. Polo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Bulati, M. Pellicanò, S. Vasto, and G. Colonna-Romano, “Understanding ageing: biomedical and bioengineering approaches, the immunologic view,” Immunity and Ageing, vol. 34, article 9, 2008.
- O. Bonnevie, “The incidence of gastric ulcer in Copenhagen county,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 231–239, 1975.
- J. H. Kurata, G. D. Honda, and H. Frankl, “The incidence of duodenal and gastric ulcers in a large health maintenance organization,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 625–629, 1985.
- D. A. Greenwald, “Aging, the gastrointestinal tract, and risk of acid-related disease,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 117, pp. 8S–13S, 2004.
- T. Khalil, P. Singh, M. Fujimura, C. M. Townsend, G. H. Greeley, and J. C. Thompson, “Effect of aging on gastric acid secretion, serum gastrin, and antral gastrin content in rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1544–1548, 1988.
- A. P. N. Majumdar, E. A. Edgerton, Y. Dayal, and S. N. S. Murthy, “Gastrin: levels and trophic action during advancing age,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 254, no. 4, pp. G538–G542, 1988.
- R. S. Maitra, E. A. Edgerton, and A. P. N. Majumdar, “Gastric secretion during aging in pyloric-ligated rats and effects of pentagastrin,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 463–472, 1988.
- T. Ohno, H. Uramoto, Y. Masuda, H. Kubota, and T. Ishihara, “Influence of aging on stress ulcer formation in rats,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 24, no. 162, pp. 95–99, 1989.
- Y. Masuda, T. Ohno, H. Uramato, and T. Ishihara, “Effects of aging on gastric secretion and blood flow in rats,” in Mechanisms of Injury. Protection and Repair of the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract, pp. 309–317, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- B. Cryer, J. S. Redfern, M. Goldschmiedt, E. Lee, and M. Feldman, “Effect of aging on gastric and duodenal mucosal prostaglandin concentrations in humans,” Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1118–1123, 1992.
- S. Okabe and K. Amagase, “An overview of acetic acid ulcer models: the history and state of the art of peptic ulcer research,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1321–1341, 2005.
- M. Lee and M. Feldman, “Age-related reductions in gastric mucosal prostaglandin levels increase susceptibility to aspirin-induced injury in rats,” Gastroenterology, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 1746–1750, 1994.
- S. W. Kim, D. Parekh, C. M. Townsend, and J. C. Thompson, “Effects of aging on duodenal bicarbonate secretion,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 212, no. 3, pp. 332–338, 1990.
- A. P. N. Majumdar, R. S. Maitra, and E. A. Edgerton, “Gastric secretion during aging in rats and effect of pentagastrin (PG),” Gastroenterology, vol. 94, p. 278, 1988.
- S. E. Gabriel, L. Jaakkimainen, and C. Bombardier, “Risk for serious gastrointestinal complications related to use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a meta-analysis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 787–796, 1991.
- M. T. F. D. S. Campos, J. B. R. Monteiro, and A. P. R. D. C. Ornelas, “Factors that affect the aged people food intake and nutrition,” Revista de Nutricao, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 157–165, 2000.
- P. Odou, P. Martin, S. Membré et al., “Omeprazole-induced leukopenia. A case report,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 317–321, 1999.
- M. Romero-Gomez, M. A. Otero, E. Suarez-Garcia, E. Garcia Diaz, M. J. Fobelo, and M. Castro-Fernandez, “Acute hepatitis related to omeprazole,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1119–1120, 1999.
- S. Kamann, C. Bauer, I. Fackler, and B. Przybilla, “Anaphylaxis caused by omeprazole,” Hautarzt, vol. 6, pp. 17–21, 2006.
- T. M. Moraes, H. Kushima, F. C. Moleiro et al., “Effects of limonene and essential oil from Citrus aurantium on gastric mucosa: role of prostaglandins and gastric mucus secretion,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 180, no. 3, pp. 499–505, 2009.
- E. D. Olfert, B. M. Cross, and A. A. McWilliam, “Guide to the care and use of experimental animals,” Canadian Council on Animal Care, pp. 1–213, 1993.
- R. P. Adams, Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Cromathography/Mass Spectroscopy, Allured Publish Corporation, 1995.
- K. Takagi, S. Okabe, and R. Saziki, “A new method for the production of chronic gastric ulcer in rats and the effect of several drugs on its healing,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 418–426, 1969.
- L. L. Vacca, Laboratory Manual of Histochemistry, Raven Press, 1985.
- O. A. Behmer, E. M. C. Tolosa, and A. G. Freitas Neto, Manual de Técnicas Para Histologia Normal e Patológica, Editora da USP, 1976.
- M. Ishihara and M. Ito, “Influence of aging on gastric ulcer healing activities of cimetidine and omeprazole,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 444, no. 3, pp. 209–215, 2002.
- C. Del Vecchio Blanco, T. Domenico, R. Galeazzi et al., “Can advanced age influence the characteristics of peptic gastric ulcer?” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 50–53, 1993.
- C. M. Polo, T. M. Moraes, L. R. Rocha, and C. A. Hiruma-Lima, “Influence of aging on gastric ulcer healing activity of the essential oil from Citrus aurantium,” Planta Medica, vol. 75, p. S943, 2009.
- Y. Tsukimi and S. Okabe, “Recent advances in gastrointestinal pathophysiology: role of heat shock proteins in mucosal defense and ulcer healing,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2001.
- A. Tarnawski, I. L. Szabo, S. S. Husain, and B. Soreghan, “Regeneration of gastric mucosa during ulcer healing is triggered by growth factors and signal transduction pathways,” Journal of Physiology Paris, vol. 95, no. 1–6, pp. 337–344, 2001.
- J. E. Celis and A. Celis, “Individual nuclei in polykaryons can control cyclin distribution and DNA synthesis,” EMBO Journal, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1187–1192, 1985.
- L. Laine, K. Takeuchi, and A. Tarnawski, ““Gastric mucosal defense and cytoprotection: bench to bedside,” Gastroenterology, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 41–60, 2008.
- T. Kobayashi, Y. Ohta, J. Yoshino, and S. Nakazawa, “Teprenone promotes the healing of acetic acid-induced chronic gastric ulcers in rats by inhibiting neutrophil infiltration and lipid peroxidation in ulcerated gastric tissues,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2001.
- T. M. Moraes and C. A. Hiruma-Lima, “Effect of essential oil from Citrus aurantium and its main compounds limonene on quantity of PGE2 and mucus production in gastric mucosa,” Planta Medica, vol. 75, p. S1124, 2009.
- E. A. Craig, J. S. Weissman, and A. L. Horwich, “Heat shock proteins and molecular chaperones: mediators of protein conformation and turnover in the cell,” Cell, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 366–372, 1994.
- S. J. Konturek, P. C. Konturek, and T. Brzozowski, “Prostaglandins and ulcer heating,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 5–31, 2005.
- S. Sánchez-Fidalgo, I. Martín-Lacave, M. Illanes, and V. Motilva, “Angiogenesis, cell proliferation and apoptosis in gastric ulcer healing. Effect of a selective cox-2 inhibitor,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 505, no. 1–3, pp. 187–194, 2004.
- J. L. Wallace and P. R. Devchand, “Emerging roles for cyclooxygenase-2 in gastrointestinal mucosal defense,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 145, no. 3, pp. 275–282, 2005.
- A. Tarnawski, A. M. Santos, S. Hanke, J. Stachura, T. G. Douglass, and I. J. Sarfeh, “Quality of gastric ulcer healing. Is it influenced by antiulcer drugs?” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 30, no. 208, pp. 9–13, 1995.
- N. Sato, S. Kawano, S. Tsuji, T. Ogihara, and S. Yamada, “Gastric blood flow in ulcer diseases,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 30, no. 208, pp. 14–20, 1995.
- S. Szabo, Z. Gombos, and Z. Sandor, “Growth factors in gastrointestinal diseases,” BioDrugs, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 27–41, 1999.
- A. Garner, “Future opportunities for drug therapy in peptic ulcer disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 21, no. 125, pp. 203–210, 1986.
- E. Aguiar, “Alterações laboratoriais no envelhecimento,” in Geriatria, L. H. H. Hargreaves, Ed., pp. 101–111, Senado Federal, Brasil, 2006.