- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 520198, 15 pages
Traditional Oriental Herbal Medicine for Children and Adolescents with ADHD: A Systematic Review
Department of Pediatrics, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University, 1 Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 130-702, Republic of Korea
Received 23 July 2012; Revised 27 September 2012; Accepted 14 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jörg Melzer
Copyright © 2012 Yuk Wo Wong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 1994.
- J. Biederman, T. Spencer, and T. Wilens, “Evidence-based pharmacotherapy for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder,” International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 77–97, 2004.
- G. M. Kapalka, Nutritional and Herbal Therapies for Children and Adolescents, Academic Press, 2010.
- M. Wolraich, L. Brown, R. T. Brown et al., “ADHD: clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 1007–1022, 2011.
- M. L. Wolraich, C. J. Wibbelsman, T. E. Brown et al., “Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder among adolescents: a review of the diagnosis, treatment, and clinical implications,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. 1734–1746, 2005.
- C. Keith Conners, G. Sitarenios, J. D. A. Parker, and J. N. Epstein, “The revised Conners' Parent Rating Scale (CPRS-R): factor structure, reliability, and criterion validity,” Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 257–268, 1998.
- C. Keith Conners, G. Sitarenios, J. D. A. Parker, and J. N. Epstein, “Revision and restandardization of the Conners Teacher Rating Scale (CTRS-R): factor structure, reliability, and criterion validity,” Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 279–291, 1998.
- S. V. Faraone, “Using meta-analysis to compare the efficacy of medications for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in youths,” Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 678–694, 2009.
- R. T. Brown, R. W. Amler, W. S. Freeman et al., “Treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: overview of the evidence,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. e749–e757, 2005.
- A. Miller, S. Lee, P. Raina, A. Klassen, J. Zupancic, and L. Olsen, A Review of Therapies for Attention-deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Canadian Coordinating Office for Health Technology Assessment, Ottawa, Canada, 1998.
- B. M. Rowles and R. L. Findling, “Review of pharmacotherapy options for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and ADHD-like symptoms in children and adolescents with developmental disorders,” Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 273–282, 2010.
- J. Lee, N. Grizenko, V. Bhat, S. Sengupta, A. Polotskaia, and R. Joober, “Relation between therapeutic response and side effects induced by methylphenidate as observed by parents and teachers of children with ADHD,” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 11, article 70, 2011.
- E. Chan, L. A. Rappaport, and K. J. Kemper, “Complementary and alternative therapies in childhood attention and hyperactivity problems,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 4–8, 2003.
- A. W. Brue and T. D. Oakland, “Alternative treatments for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: does evidence support their use?” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 68–74, 2002.
- D. Sinha and D. Efron, “Complementary and alternative medicine use in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder,” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 41, no. 1-2, pp. 23–26, 2005.
- R. Ma, “Clinical study on herbal medicine affected the content of Pb, Zn, Cu, Mg in blood serum of whose had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),” Shaanxi College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2007.
- Y. Tang, X. Chen, D. Lai, H. Li, and H. Jiang, “Effect of Yizhining on dopamine in frontal cortex and corpus striatum of rats,” Shandong Chinese Medicine Journal, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 332–333, 2008.
- J. Sarris, J. Kean, I. Schweitzer, and J. Lake, “Complementary medicines (herbal and nutritional products) in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): a systematic review of the evidence,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 216–227, 2011.
- H. Cheng, L. Wan, F. Zhang, and G. Li, “Clinical observation on Yizhiyidong decoction in thre treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children,” Jiangsu Pharmacy and Clinical Research, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 51–52, 2006.
- D. Kong, J. Huo, W. Fu et al., “Treatment of sixty cases of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder using Qijudihuang pills,” Shandong Chinese Medicine Journal, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 445–447, 2007.
- D. Lai and Y. Li, “Clinical observation on treatment of 21 cases of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder using Yizhining,” Journal of Shandong University of TCM, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 361–362, 2006.
- X. Li and Z. Chen, “Clinical comparative observation on duodongning and Ritalin in treating child hyperkinetic syndrome,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 410–411, 1999.
- Y. Li, R. Ma, and X. Wei, “Clinical analysis on treatment of “kidney yin deficient and Liver yang excess” syndrome of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder using Yizhiningshen granules,” Tianjin Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 374–376, 2004.
- Y. Lin, Z. Wang, and Z. Lin, “Observation on the effect of methylphenidate combined with Chinese medicine Ningshen Koufu Ye on attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder,” World Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 722–725, 2007.
- R. Ma, X.-M. Li, X.-W. Wei, et al., “Clinical observation of yishentianjing method on treating fifty five with children attention deficit hyperactivity disorder,” Journal of Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 122–125, 2007.
- Y. Wang and P. Shi, “Clinical observation on treatment of hyperkinetic syndrome using Jingning oral liquid,” Chinese Traditional and Herbal Drugs, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 162–163, 2003.
- J. Xu, S. Ma, G. Yu, and L. Chen, “Clinical observation and study on treatment of combined type ADHD using Jingningzhidong granules,” China Journal of Traditional Medicine and Pharmacy, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 700–701, 2005.
- L. Yang and J. Yang, “Sum clinical of by Yizhiningshen oral liquid and behavior modification treating hyperkinetic syndrome,” Chinese Journal of the Practical Chinese with Modern Medicine, vol. 18, no. 19, pp. 1168–1169, 2005.
- Z. Yu and J. Wang, “Jingning decoction for ADHD: an observation of 68 cases,” Journal of Pediatrics of TCM, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 38–39, 2005.