- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 535479, 8 pages
Acetone Extract from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa: A Potent Natural Antioxidant
1Natural Products Research Centre, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla 90112, Thailand
2Department of Microbiology, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla 90112, Thailand
3Department of Biochemistry, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla 90112, Thailand
Received 19 April 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editor: Vassya Bankova
Copyright © 2012 Goodla Lavanya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. G. Scandalios, “The rise of ROS,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 483–486, 2002.
- J. M. Matés, “Effects of antioxidant enzymes in the molecular control of reactive oxygen species toxicology,” Toxicology, vol. 153, no. 1–3, pp. 83–104, 2000.
- A. Kadri, Z. Zarai, I. B. Chobba et al., “Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of Marrubium vulgare L. essential oil from tunisia,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 19, pp. 3908–3914, 2011.
- A. Winotai, T. Wright, and J. A. Goolsby, “Herbivores in Thailand on Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Myrtaceae), an invasive weed in Florida,” Florida Entomologist, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 104–105, 2005.
- H. C. Ong and M. Nordiana, “Malay ethno-medico botany in Machang, Kelantan, Malaysia,” Fitoterapia, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 502–513, 1999.
- F. Wei, Manufacture of Oral Liquid Contaning Traditional Chinese Medicine Extract for Treating Gynecopathy, Guangxi Huahong Pharmaceutical Industry, China, Beijing, 2006.
- Y. Miyake and J. Nojima, Skin Cosmetic and Food/Drink for Cosmetrogical Use, Maruzen Pharmaceutical, Hiroshima, Japan, 2006.
- J. Saising, A. Hiranrat, W. Mahabusarakam, M. Ongsakul, and S. P. Voravuthikunchai, “Rhodomyrtone from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Aiton) Hassk. as a natural antibiotic for staphylococcal cutaneous infections,” Journal of Health Science, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 589–595, 2008.
- S. Limsuwan, E. N. Trip, T. R. H. M. Kouwen et al., “Rhodomyrtone: a new candidate as natural antibacterial drug from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 6-7, pp. 645–651, 2009.
- N. H. Tung, Y. Ding, E. M. Choi, P. van Kiem, C. van Minh, and Y. H. Kim, “New anthracene glycosides from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa stimulate osteoblastic differentiation of MC3T3-E1 cells,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 515–520, 2009.
- S. Limsuwan, A. Hesseling-Meinders, S. P. Voravuthikunchai, J. M. van Dijl, and O. Kayser, “Potential antibiotic and anti-infective effects of rhodomyrtone from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Aiton) Hassk. on Streptococcus pyogenes as revealed by proteomics,” Phytomedicine, vol. 18, pp. 934–940, 2011.
- J. Saising, M. Ongsakul, and S. P. Voravuthikunchai, “Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Aiton) Hassk. ethanol extract and rhodomyrtone: a potential strategy for the treatment of biofilm-forming staphylococci,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 60, pp. 1793–1800, 2011.
- S. P. Voravuthikunchai, S. Dolah, and W. Charernjiratrakul, “Control of Bacillus cereus in foods by Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Ait.) hassk. leaf extract and its purified compound,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 1907–1912, 2010.
- W. Sianglum, P. Srimanote, W. Wonglumsom, K. Kittiniyom, and S. P. Voravuthikunchai, “Proteome analyses of cellular proteins in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus treated with rhodomyrtone, a novel antibiotic candidate,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e16628, 2011.
- S. Limsuwan and S. P. Voravuthikunchai, “Boesenbergia pandurata (Roxb.) Schltr., Eleutherine americana Merr. and Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Aiton) Hassk. as antibiofilm producing and antiquorum sensing in Streptococcus pyogenes,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 429–436, 2008.
- S. P. Voravuthikunchai and S. Limsuwan, “Medicinal plant extracts as anti-Escherichia coli O157:H7 agents and their effects on bacterial cell aggregation,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 2336–2341, 2006.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- O. Erel, “A novel automated direct measurement method for total antioxidant capacity using a new generation, more stable ABTS radical cation,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 277–285, 2004.
- T. C. P. Dinis, V. M. C. Madeira, and L. M. Almeida, “Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation and as peroxyl radical scavengers,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 315, no. 1, pp. 161–169, 1994.
- M. Ajitha and K. Rajnarayana, “Role of oxygen free radicals in human disease,” Indian Drugs, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 545–554, 2001.
- P. Manna, M. Sinha, and P. C. Sil, “Aqueous extract of Terminalia arjuna prevents carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic and renal disorders,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, article 33, 2006.
- S. Meir, J. Kanner, B. Akiri, and S. Philosoph-Hadas, “Determination and involvement of aqueous reducing compounds in oxidative defense systems of various senescing leaves,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1813–1819, 1995.
- M. H. Gordon, “Dietary antioxidants in disease prevention,” Natural Product Reports, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 265–273, 1996.
- L. W. Chang, W. J. Yen, S. C. Huang, and P. D. Duh, “Antioxidant activity of sesame coat,” Food Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 347–354, 2002.
- F. Yamaguchi, T. Ariga, Y. Yoshimura, and H. Nakazawa, “Antioxidative and anti-glycation activity of garcinol from Garcinia indica fruit rind,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 180–185, 2000.
- I. Gülçin, M. Oktay, E. Kireçci, and Ö. İ. Küfrevioǧlu, “Screening of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of anise (Pimpinella anisum L.) seed extracts,” Food Chemistry, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 371–382, 2003.
- H. M. Lin, H. C. Tseng, C. J. Wang, J. J. Lin, C. W. Lo, and F. P. Chou, “Hepatoprotective effects of Solanum nigrum Linn extract against CCl4-iduced oxidative damage in rats,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 283–293, 2008.
- E. Candelario-Jalil, S. Mohammed-Al-Dalain, O. S. León Fernández et al., “Oxidative preconditioning affords protection against carbon tetrachloride-induced glycogen depletion and oxidative stress in rats,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 297–301, 2001.
- P. Abraham, G. Wilfred, and S. P. Cathrine, “Oxidative damage to the lipids and proteins of the lungs, testis and kidney of rats during carbon tetrachloride intoxication,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 289, no. 1-2, pp. 177–179, 1999.
- S. Sahreen, M. R. Khan, and R. A. Khan, “Hepatoprotective effects of methanol extract of Carissa opaca leaves on CCl4-induced damage in rat,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 11, article 48, 2011.
- L. Chen, W. H. Haught, B. Yang, T. G. P. Saldeen, S. Parathasarathy, and J. L. Mehta, “Preservation of endogenous antioxidant activity and inhibition of lipid peroxidation as common mechanisms of antiatherosclerotic effects of vitamin E, lovastatin and amlodipine,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 569–575, 1997.
- K. S. Echtay, “Mitochondrial uncoupling proteins—what is their physiological role?” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1351–1371, 2007.
- R. J. Carmody, A. J. McGowan, and T. G. Cotter, “Reactive oxygen species as mediators of photoreceptor apoptosis in vitro,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 248, no. 2, pp. 520–530, 1999.
- I. S. Young and J. V. Woodside, “Antioxidants in health and disease,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 176–186, 2001.
- N. Tirkey, S. Pilkhwal, A. Kuhad, and K. Chopra, “Hasperidin, a citrus bioflavonoid, decreases the oxidative stress produced by carbon tetrachloride in rat liver and kidney,” BMC Pharmacology, vol. 5, article 2, 2005.
- H. Konishi, M. Sudo, M. Sumi et al., “Pharmacokinetic behavior of micafungin in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced acute hepatic failure,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 556–559, 2005.
- K. M. Geetha, C. Sridhar, and V. Murugan, “Antioxidant and healing effect of aqueous alcoholic extract Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Ait.) Hassk on chronic gastric ulcers in rats,” Journal of Pharmacy Research, vol. 3, no. 12, 2010.
- C. Sánchez-Moreno, J. A. Larrauri, and F. Saura-Calixto, “A procedure to measure the antiradical efficiency of polyphenols,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 76, pp. 270–276, 1998.
- J. A. Vinson and B. A. Hontz, “Phenol antioxidant index: comparative antioxidant effectiveness of red and white wines,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 401–403, 1995.
- J. Kanner, E. Frankel, R. Granit, B. German, and J. E. Kinsella, “Natural antioxidants in grapes and wines,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 64–69, 1994.
- A. Hiranrat, W. Chitbankluoi, W. Mahabusarakam, S. Limsuwan, and S. P. Voravuthikunchai, “A new flavellagic acid derivative and phloroglucinol from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa,” Natural Product Research. In press.
- A. Hiranrat and W. Mahabusarakam, “New acylphloroglucinols from the leaves of Rhodomyrtus tomentosa,” Tetrahedron, vol. 64, no. 49, pp. 11193–11197, 2008.