- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 561284, 10 pages
Antioxidant Activity and Hepatoprotective Potential of Polyalthia longifolia and Cassia spectabilis Leaves against Paracetamol-Induced Liver Injury
1Institute for Research in Molecular Medicine (INFORMM), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Gelugor, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
2Dental Research & Training Unit and Oral Cancer Research and Coordinating Centre (OCRCC), Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 2 June 2012; Revised 12 September 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: DaoFeng Chen
Copyright © 2012 Subramanion L. Jothy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Tiwari, “Imbalance in antioxidant defence and human diseases: multiple approach of natural antioxidants therapy,” Current Science, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 1179–1187, 2001.
- L. A. Pham-Huy, H. He, and C. Pham-Huy, “Free radicals, antioxidants in disease and health,” International Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 89–96, 2008.
- H. Bibhasbasu, B. Santanu, and M. Nripendranath, “Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of Spondias pinnata,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 8, article 63, 2008.
- P. W. Andrew, “Ageing and the free radical theory,” Respiration Physiology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 379–391, 2001.
- N. Loganayaki and S. Manian, “In vitro antioxidant properties of indigenous underutilized fruits,” Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 725–734, 2010.
- T. K. Bose, P. Das, and G. G. Maiti, Trees of the World, vol. 1, Regional Plant Resource Centre, Bhubaneswar, India, 1998.
- The Wealth of India, vol. 3, Publication and Information Directorate, CSIR, New Delhi, India, 1st edition, 1969.
- G. Goutam, M. K. Durga, B. S. Bharata, and K. M. Sagar, “Anti-hyperglycemic and antioxidant activity of stem bark of Polyalthia longifolia var. angustifolia,” Der Pharmacia Lettre, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 206–216, 2010.
- H. Lorenzi and F. J. A. Matos, Plantas Medicinais do Brasil Nativas e Exoticas, Instituto Plantarum, Nova Odessa, Brazil, 2002.
- S. Sangetha, Z. Zuraini, S. Sasidharan, and S. Suryani, “Fungicidal effect and oral acute toxicity of Cassia spectabilis leaf extract,” Japanese Journal of Medical Mycology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 299–304, 2008.
- S. Sangetha, Z. Zuraini, S. Sasidharan, and S. Suryani, “Free radical scavenging activity of Cassia spectabilis and Cassia fistula,” International Journal of Natural and Engineering Sciences, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 111–112, 2008.
- M. A. Ebrahimzadeh, F. Pourmorad, and A. R. Bekhradnia, “Iron chelating activity, phenol and flavonoid content of some medicinal plants from Iran,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 32, pp. 43–49, 2008.
- S. M. Nabavi, M. A. Ebrahimzadeh, S. F. Nabavi, A. Hamidinia, and A. R. Bekhradnia, “Determination of antioxidant activity, phenol and flavonoid content of Parrotia persica Mey,” Pharmacologyonline, vol. 2, pp. 560–567, 2008.
- J. Zhishen, T. Mengcheng, and W. Jianming, “The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals,” Food Chemistry, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 555–559, 1999.
- S. Sasidharan, I. Darah, and M. K. Mohd Jain Noordin, “Free radical scavenging activity and total phenolic compounds of Gracilaria changii,” International Journal of Natural and Engineering Sciences, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 115–117, 2007.
- G. C. Yen and H. Y. Chen, “Antioxidant activity of various tea extracts in relation to their antimutagenicity,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1995.
- B. Halliwell, J. M. C. Gutteridge, and O. I. Aruoma, “The deoxyribose method: a simple “test-tube” assay for determination of rate constants for reactions of hydroxyl radicals,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 215–219, 1987.
- E. Kunchandy and M. N. A. Rao, “Oxygen radical scavenging activity of curcumin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 237–240, 1990.
- L. C. Green, D. A. Wagner, J. Glogowski, et al., “Analysis of nitrate, nitrite and (15 N) nitrate in biological fluids,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 131–138, 1982.
- M. A. Ebrahimzadeh, S. F. Nabavi, and S. M. Nabavi, “Antioxidant activities of methanol extract of Sambucus ebulusL. flower,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 447–450, 2009.
- T. C. P. Dinis, V. M. C. Madeira, and L. M. Almeida, “Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation and as peroxyl radical scavengers,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 315, no. 1, pp. 161–169, 1994.
- N. Bauchet, L. Barrier, and B. Famconneu, “Radical scavenging activity and antioxidant properties of tannins from Guiera senegalensis (combretaceae),” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 159–162, 1998.
- M. Zimmermann, “Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals,” Pain, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–110, 1983.
- P. G. Rao, G. Rao, K. Ramnarayan, and K. K. Srinivasan, “Effect of hepatogard on paracetamolinduced liver injury in male albino rats,” Indian Drugs, vol. 30, pp. 41–46, 1993.
- R. P. Da Rocha, A. C. D. M. Paquola, M. D. V. Marques, C. F. M. Menck, and R. S. Galhardo, “Characterization of the SOS regulon of Caulobacter crescentus,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 190, no. 4, pp. 1209–1218, 2008.
- S. Reitman and S. A. Frankel, “Colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic piruvic transaminases,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1957.
- H. T. Malloy and K. A. Evelyn, “The determination of bilirubin with the photochemical colorimeter,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 119, pp. 481–490, 1937.
- R. L. Prior, X. Wu, and K. Schaich, “Standardized methods for the determination of antioxidant capacity and phenolics in foods and dietary supplements,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 4290–4302, 2005.
- D. Huang, O. U. Boxin, and R. L. Prior, “The chemistry behind antioxidant capacity assays,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1841–1856, 2005.
- T. Osawa, “Novel natural antioxidants for utilization in food and biological systems,” in Postharvest Biochemistry of Plant Food Materials in the Tropics, I. Utritani, V. V. Garcia, and E. M. Mendoza, Eds., pp. 241–251, Japan Scientific Societies Press, Tokyo, Japan, 1994.
- J. H. Yang, H. C. Lin, and J. L. Mau, “Antioxidant properties of several commercial mushrooms,” Food Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 229–235, 2002.
- J. W. Li, S. D. Ding, and X. L. Ding, “Comparison of antioxidant capacities of extracts from five cultivars of Chinese jujube,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 3607–3613, 2005.
- M. Ferrali, C. Signorini, B. Caciotti et al., “Protection against oxidative damage of erythrocyte membrane by the flavonoid quercetin and its relation to iron chelating activity,” FEBS Letters, vol. 416, no. 2, pp. 123–129, 1997.
- A. J. Elliott, S. A. Scheiber, C. Thomas, and R. S. Pardini, “Inhibition of glutathione reductase by flavonoids. A structure-activity study,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1603–1608, 1992.
- R. Hirano, W. Sasamoto, A. Matsumoto, H. Itakura, O. Igarashi, and K. Kondo, “Antioxidant ability of various flavonoids against DPPH radicals and LDL oxidation,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 357–362, 2001.
- P. Cos, L. Ying, M. Calomme et al., “Structure-activity relationship and classification of flavonoids as inhibitors of xanthine oxidase and superoxide scavengers,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 71–76, 1998.
- J. R. Soares, T. C. P. Dinis, A. P. Cunha, and L. M. Almeida, “Antioxidant activities of some extracts of Thymus zygis,” Free Radical Research, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 469–478, 1997.
- C. Rice-Evans, “Flavonoid antioxidants,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 797–807, 2001.
- W. Brand-Williams, M. E. Cuvelier, and C. Berset, “Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity,” Food Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 1995.
- S. Chanda and R. Dave, “In Vitro models for antioxidant activity evaluation and some medicinal plants possessing antioxidant properties: an overview,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 3, no. 13, pp. 981–996, 2009.
- S. Moncada and A. Higgs, “Mechanisms of diseases: the largininenitricoxide pathway,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, no. 27, pp. 2002–2012, 1993.
- U. K. Nayak, G. Mariappan, J. P. Mohanty, N. R. Bhuyan, and B. K. Patro, “Antilipidperoxidation activity of Curcuma aromatica linn,” Indian Drugs, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 483–485, 2007.
- S. Sasidharan, S. Aravindran, L. Y. Latha, R. Vijenthi, D. Saravanan, and S. Amutha, “In vitro antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective effects of lentinula edodes against paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 4478–4489, 2010.
- H. Jaeschke and M. L. Bajt, “Intracellular signaling mechanisms of acetaminophen-induced liver cell death,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 2006.
- A. L. Lawrence, C.W. Douglas, and M. M. George, “The mitochondrial theory of aging and its relationship to reactive oxygen species damage and somatic mtDNA mutations,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 52, pp. 18769–18770, 2005.