- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 570948, 12 pages
Treatment with Ginger Ameliorates Fructose-Induced Fatty Liver and Hypertriglyceridemia in Rats: Modulation of the Hepatic Carbohydrate Response Element-Binding Protein-Mediated Pathway
1Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
2Pharmafood Institute, Kyoto 602-8136, Japan
3Endocrinology and Metabolism Group, Sydney Institute of Health Sciences, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia
Received 7 August 2012; Revised 1 October 2012; Accepted 3 October 2012
Academic Editor: Mohd Roslan Sulaiman
Copyright © 2012 Huanqing Gao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Nicoll and M. Y. Henein, “Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe): a hot remedy for cardiovascular disease?” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 408–409, 2009.
- B. H. Ali, G. Blunden, M. O. Tanira, and A. Nemmar, “Some phytochemical, pharmacological and toxicological properties of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe): a review of recent research,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 409–420, 2008.
- U. Bhandari, J. N. Sharma, and R. Zafar, “The protective action of ethanolic ginger (Zingiber officinale) extract in cholesterol fed rabbits,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 167–171, 1998.
- B. Fuhrman, M. Rosenblat, T. Hayek, R. Coleman, and M. Aviram, “Ginger extract consumption reduces plasma cholesterol, inhibits LDL oxidation and attenuates development of atherosclerosis in atherosclerotic, apolipoprotein E-deficient mice,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1124–1131, 2000.
- S. V. Kadnur and R. K. Goyal, “Beneficial effects of Zingiber officinale Roscoe on fructose induced hyperlipidemia and hyperinsulinemia in rats,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1161–1164, 2005.
- Z. M. Al-Amin, M. Thomson, K. K. Al-Qattan, and M. Ali, “Anti-diabetic and hypolipidaemic properties of ginger (Zingiber officinale) in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 660–666, 2006.
- S. Nammi, S. Sreemantula, and B. D. Roufogalis, “Protective effects of ethanolic extract of Zingiber officinale rhizome on the development of metabolic syndrome in high-fat diet-fed rats,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 366–373, 2009.
- S. Nammi, M. S. Kim, N. S. Gavande, G. Q. Li, and B. D. Roufogalis, “Regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor and 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase expression by Zingiber officinale in the liver of high-fat diet-fed rats,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 389–395, 2010.
- J. H. Beattie, F. Nicol, M.-J. Gordon et al., “Ginger phytochemicals mitigate the obesogenic effects of a high-fat diet in mice: a proteomic and biomarker network analysis,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 55, supplement, pp. S203–S213, 2011.
- R. J. Johnson, S. E. Perez-Pozo, Y. Y. Sautin et al., “Hypothesis: Could excessive fructose intake and uric acid cause type 2 diabetes?” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 96–116, 2009.
- K. L. Stanhope, J. M. Schwarz, N. L. Keim et al., “Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humans,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 5, pp. 1322–1334, 2009.
- L. Tappy and K. A. Lê, “Metabolic effects of fructose and the worldwide increase in obesity,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 23–46, 2010.
- G. Marchesini, E. Bugianesi, G. Forlani et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver, steatohepatitis, and the metabolic syndrome,” Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 917–923, 2003.
- C. Postic and J. Girard, “Contribution of de novo fatty acid synthesis to hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance: lessons from genetically engineered mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 829–838, 2008.
- M. F. Abdelmalek, A. Suzuki, C. Guy et al., “Increased fructose consumption is associated with fibrosis severity in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1961–1971, 2010.
- J. D. Brunzell, “Hypertriglyceridemia,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 10, pp. 1009–1017, 2007.
- X. Rong, G. Peng, T. Suzuki, Q. Yang, J. Yamahara, and Y. Li, “A 35-day gavage safety assessment of ginger in rats,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 118–123, 2009.
- N. Roglans, L. Vilà, M. Farré et al., “Impairment of hepatic STAT-3 activation and reduction of PPARα activity in fructose-fed rats,” Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 778–788, 2007.
- X. S. Huang, S. P. Zhao, L. Bai, M. Hu, W. Zhao, and Q. Zhang, “Atorvastatin and fenofibrate increase apolipoprotein AV and decrease triglycerides by up-regulating peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 706–712, 2009.
- N. Roglans, E. Sanguino, C. Peris et al., “Atorvastatin treatment induced peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α expression and decreased plasma nonesterified fatty acids and liver triglyceride in fructose-fed rats,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 302, no. 1, pp. 232–239, 2002.
- X. Rong, Y. Li, K. Ebihara et al., “Angiotensin II type 1 receptor-independent beneficial effects of telmisartan on dietary-induced obesity, insulin resistance and fatty liver in mice,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1727–1731, 2010.
- P. D. Denechaud, R. Dentin, J. Girard, and C. Postic, “Role of ChREBP in hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance,” FEBS Letters, vol. 582, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 2008.
- C. Postic, R. Dentin, P. D. Denechaud, and J. Girard, “ChREBP, a transcriptional regulator of glucose and lipid metabolism,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 27, pp. 179–192, 2007.
- R. Dentin, F. Benhamed, I. Hainault et al., “Liver-specific inhibition of ChREBP improves hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance in ob/ob mice,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2159–2170, 2006.
- K. Iizuka, B. Miller, and K. Uyeda, “Deficiency of carbohydrate-activated transcription factor ChREBP prevents obesity and improves plasma glucose control in leptin-deficient (ob/ob) mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 291, no. 2, pp. E358–E364, 2006.
- K. Uyeda and J. J. Repa, “Carbohydrate response element binding protein, ChREBP, a transcription factor coupling hepatic glucose utilization and lipid synthesis,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 107–110, 2006.
- H. Y. Koo, M. Miyashita, B. H. Simon Cho, and M. T. Nakamura, “Replacing dietary glucose with fructose increases ChREBP activity and SREBP-1 protein in rat liver nucleus,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 390, no. 2, pp. 285–289, 2009.
- R. Rodríguez-Calvo, E. Barroso, L. Serrano et al., “Atorvastatin prevents carbohydrate response element binding protein activation in the fructose-fed rat by activating protein kinase A,” Hepatology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 106–115, 2009.
- T. Mori, H. Kondo, T. Hase, and T. Murase, “Dietary phospholipids ameliorate fructose-induced hepatic lipid and metabolic abnormalities in rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 141, no. 11, pp. 2003–2009, 2011.
- R. M. Evans, G. D. Barish, and Y. X. Wang, “PPARs and the complex journey to obesity,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 355–361, 2004.
- L. Chao, B. Marcus-Samuels, M. M. Mason et al., “Adipose tissue is required for the antidiabetic, but not for the hypolipidemic, effect of thiazolidinediones,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 1221–1228, 2000.
- O. Gavrilova, M. Haluzik, K. Matsusue et al., “Liver peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ contributes to hepatic steatosis, triglyceride clearance, and regulation of body fat mass,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 36, pp. 34268–34276, 2003.
- S. A. Kang, K. Hong, K. H. Jang, Y. Y. Kim, R. Choue, and Y. Lim, “Altered mRNA expression of hepatic lipogenic enzyme and PPARα in rats fed dietary levan from Zymomonas mobilis,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 419–426, 2006.
- A. K. Sharma, S. Bharti, S. Ojha et al., “Up-regulation of PPARγ, heat shock protein-27 and -72 by naringin attenuates insulin resistance, β-cell dysfunction, hepatic steatosis and kidney damage in a rat model of type 2 diabetes,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 1713–1723, 2011.
- K. Z. Y. Xu, C. Zhu, M. S. Kim, J. Yamahara, and Y. Li, “Pomegranate flower ameliorates fatty liver in an animal model of type 2 diabetes and obesity,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 280–287, 2009.
- Y. Isa, Y. Miyakawa, M. Yanagisawa et al., “6-Shogaol and 6-gingerol, the pungent of ginger, inhibit TNF-α mediated downregulation of adiponectin expression via different mechanisms in 3T3-L1 adipocytes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 373, no. 3, pp. 429–434, 2008.
- P. Lefebvre, G. Chinetti, J. C. Fruchart, and B. Staels, “Sorting out the roles of PPARα in energy metabolism and vascular homeostasis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 571–580, 2006.
- Y. Nagai, Y. Nishio, T. Nakamura, H. Maegawa, R. Kikkawa, and A. Kashiwagi, “Amelioration of high fructose-induced metabolic derangements by activation of PPARα,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 282, no. 5, pp. E1180–E1190, 2002.
- S. Qu, D. Su, J. Altomonte et al., “PPARα mediates the hypolipidemic action of fibrates by antagonizing FoxO1,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 2, pp. E421–E434, 2007.
- T. Yokozawa, J. K. Hyun, and J. C. Eun, “Gravinol ameliorates high-fructose-induced metabolic syndrome through regulation of lipid metabolism and proinflammatory state in rats,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 13, pp. 5026–5032, 2008.
- H. Y. Kim, T. Okubo, L. R. Juneja, and T. Yokozawa, “The protective role of amla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.) against fructose-induced metabolic syndrome in a rat model,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 502–512, 2010.
- M. H. Oosterveer, A. Grefhorst, T. H. van Dijk et al., “Fenofibrate simultaneously induces hepatic fatty acid oxidation, synthesis, and elongation in mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 49, pp. 34036–34044, 2009.
- S. Bijland, E. J. Pieterman, A. C. E. Maas et al., “Fenofibrate increases very low density lipoprotein triglyceride production despite reducing plasma triglyceride levels in APOE*3-Leiden.CETP mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 33, pp. 25168–25175, 2010.
- C. W. Miller and J. M. Ntambi, “Peroxisome proliferators induce mouse liver stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene expression,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 18, pp. 9443–9448, 1996.
- A. Gastaldelli, S. A. Harrison, R. Belfort-Aguilar et al., “Importance of changes in adipose tissue insulin resistance to histological response during thiazolidinedione treatment of patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1087–1093, 2009.
- B. A. Neuschwander-Tetri, “Hepatic lipotoxicity and the pathogenesis of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: the central role of nontriglyceride fatty acid metabolites,” Hepatology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 774–788, 2010.
- R. Lomonaco, C. Ortiz-Lopez, B. Orsak et al., “Effect of adipose tissue insulin resistance on metabolic parameters and liver histology in obese patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1389–1397, 2012.
- R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome,” Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9468, pp. 1415–1428, 2005.
- Y. Nagai, S. Yonemitsu, D. M. Erion et al., “The role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ coactivator-1 β in the pathogenesis of fructose-induced insulin resistance,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 252–264, 2009.