- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 591654, 12 pages
Berberine in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systemic Review and Meta-Analysis
1Institute of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
2Department of Radiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
Received 23 May 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Pierre Kamtchouing
Copyright © 2012 Hui Dong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [15 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Francesco Orio, Giovanna Muscogiuri, Stefano Palomba, Silvia Savastano, Alessio Volpe, Marcello Orio, Giorgio Colarieti, Giovanni Battista La Sala, Annamaria Colao, Francesca Marciano, Antonio Ascione, and Pietro Putignano, “Berberine improves reproductive features in obese Caucasian women with polycystic ovary syndrome independently of changes of insulin sensitivity,” e-SPEN Journal, 2013.
- Ki-Suk Kim, Hea Jung Yang, Eun-Kyeong Choi, Min Hee Shin, Kang-Hoon Kim, Jae Young Um, Byung-Cheol Lee, and Hyeung-Jin Jang, “The effects of complex herbal medicine composed of Cornus fructus, Dioscoreae rhizoma, Aurantii fructus, and Mori folium in obese type-2 diabetes mice model,” Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 2013.
- Xiao-Jie Zhang, Yuan-Xiong Deng, Qun-Zhi Shi, Meng-Yun He, Bo Chen, and Xi-Min Qiu, “Hypolipidemic effect of the Chinese polyherbal Huanglian Jiedu decoction in type 2 diabetic rats and its possible mechanism,” Phytomedicine, 2013.
- Sakshi Gupta, Nirmal Singh, and Amteshwar Singh Jaggi, “Alkaloids as Aldose Reductase Inhibitors, with Special Reference to Berberine,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, pp. 131115063425001, 2013.
- Aa Izzo, “Chinese herbal formulation is safe and effective for type 2 diabetes,” Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 205–206, 2013.
- Jing Yao, WeiJia Kong, and JianDong Jiang, “Learning from berberine: Treating chronic diseases through multiple targets,” Science China Life Sciences, 2013.
- Yan Li, Hongying Kuang, Wenjuan Shen, Hongli Ma, Yuehui Zhang, Elisabet Stener-Victorin, Ernest Hung Yu Ng, Jianping Liu, Haixue Kuang, and Lihui Hou, “Letrozole, berberine, or their combination for anovulatory infertility in w omen with polycystic ovary syndrome: study design of a double-blind randomi sed controlled trial,” Bmj Open, vol. 3, no. 11, 2013.
- Cicero L. T. Chang, Yenshou Lin, Arlene P. Bartolome, Yi-Ching Chen, Shao-Chih Chiu, and Wen-Chin Yang, “Herbal Therapies for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Chemistry, Biology, and Potential Application of Selected Plants and Compounds,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–33, 2013.
- Syed Ibrahim Rizvi, and Neetu Mishra, “Traditional Indian Medicines Used for the Management of Diabetes Mellitus,” Journal of Diabetes Research, vol. 2013, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- Mohamed S. Othman, Gehan Safwat, Menna Aboulkhair, and Ahmed E. Abdel Moneim, “The Potential Effect of Berberine in Mercury-induced Hepatorenal Toxicity in Albino Rats,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2014.
- Keke Chen, Guohua Li, Fenghao Geng, Zhao Zhang, Jiani Li, Min Yang, Ling Dong, and Feng Gao, “Berberine reduces ischemia/reperfusion-induced myocardial apoptosis via activating AMPK and PI3K–Akt signaling in diabetic rats,” Apoptosis, 2014.
- Ran Ding, Zheng-yun Chu, Ming-bo Zhang, Xiao-yan Liu, Shao-hua Xie, Yan-jun Zhai, and Yue-dan Wang, “Role of berberine in anti-bacterial as a high-affinity LPS antagonist bindi ng to TLR4/MD-2 receptor,” Bmc Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 14, 2014.
- Zheng Li, Ya-Na Geng, Jian-Dong Jiang, and Wei-Jia Kong, “Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Berberine in the Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2014, pp. 1–12, 2014.
- Dan-Dan Zhao, Na Yu, Xiao-Ke Li, Xin Fang, Qian-qian Mu, Pei-Jie Qin, Yue Ma, Fang-Fang Mo, Dong-Wei Zhang, and Si-Hua Gao, “Antidiabetic and Antioxidative Effect of Jiang Tang Xiao Ke Granule in High-Fat Diet and Low-Dose Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Hui Wang, Wei Mu, Hongcai Shang, Jia Lin, and Xiang Lei, “The Antihyperglycemic Effects of Rhizoma Coptidis and Mechanism of Actions: A Review of Systematic Reviews and Pharmacological Research,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–10, 2014.