- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 591654, 12 pages
Berberine in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systemic Review and Meta-Analysis
1Institute of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
2Department of Radiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
Received 23 May 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Pierre Kamtchouing
Copyright © 2012 Hui Dong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Ho, A. K. C. Leung, and D. Rabi, “Hypoglycemic agents in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Recent Patents on Endocrine, Metabolic and Immune Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2011.
- S. El-Kaissi and S. Sherbeeni, “Pharmacological management of type 2 diabetes mellitus: an update,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 392–405, 2011.
- I. S. Hoffmann, M. Roa, F. Torrico, and L. X. Cubeddu, “Ondansetron and metformin-induced gastrointestinal side effects,” American Journal of Therapeutics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 447–451, 2003.
- S. E. Nissen and K. Wolski, “Effect of rosiglitazone on the risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 24, pp. 2457–2471, 2007.
- B. M. Berman, J. P. Swyers, and J. Kaczmarczyk, “Complementary and alternative medicine: herbal therapies for diabetes,” Journal of the Association for Academic Minority Physicians, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 10–14, 1999.
- M. B. Covington, “Traditional Chinese Medicine in the treatment of diabetes,” Diabetes Spectrum, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 154–159, 2001.
- S. Dham, V. Shah, S. Hirsch, and M. A. Banerji, “The role of complementary and alternative medicine in diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 251–258, 2006.
- L. Q. Tang, W. Wei, L. M. Chen, and S. Liu, “Effects of berberine on diabetes induced by alloxan and a high-fat/high-cholesterol diet in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 2006.
- Y. Zhang, X. Li, D. Zou et al., “Treatment of type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia with the natural plant alkaloid berberine,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 2559–2565, 2008.
- J. Yin, H. Xing, and J. Ye, “Efficacy of berberine in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 712–717, 2008.
- H. Zhang, J. Wei, R. Xue et al., “Berberine lowers blood glucose in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients through increasing insulin receptor expression,” Metabolism, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 2010.
- H. Y. Liu and Q. M. Hu, “Effect of berberine on islet β-cell function in type 2 diabetes mellitus (damp-heat type),” Chinese Journal of Information on TCM, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 12–14, 2008.
- M. L. Li, “Clinical observation of berberine combined with metformin on treating type 2 diabetes,” Hubei Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 34–35, 2008.
- W. Wang, Effect of berberine on blood Glucose, blood lipid and serum adiponectin of primary type 2 diabetes mellitus patients [M.S. thesis], Shanxi Medical University, 2008.
- Z. X. Sheng and D. H. Xie, “Therapeutic effect of berberine on the levels of inflammatory factors in type 2 diabetic patients,” New Medicine, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 177–180, 2010.
- W. P. Ye, “Clinical efficacy of berberine treatment of diabetes,” Modern Hospital, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 9–10, 2010.
- R. D. Zhang, R. M. Bai, and J. Wei, “The therapeutic effects of berberine on 24 hour urinary albumin of type II diabetes mellitus,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Nephrology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 28–30, 2011.
- S. L. Yin, H. Q. Yin, C. H. Li, and C. M. Liu, “The effects of berberine hydrochloride on blood glucose, insulin and lipids levels in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients,” Acta Aademiae Medicinae Xuzhou, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 40–41, 2011.
- Y. Cao, Clinical research on multiple factor intervention of improving the insulin resistance [M.S. thesis], Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2007.
- Z. Li and L. H. Liu, “Therapeutic efficacy of combined berberine and glipizide on type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 61–64, 2007.
- W. Xiang, X. J. Huang, and G. X. Huang, “Research on the therapeutic effect of two kinds of anti-inflammatory drugs in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients,” Journal of Practical Diabetology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 51–52, 2011.
- Y. X. Ni, “Therapeutic effect of berberine on 60 patients with type II diabetes mellitus and experimental research,” Journal of Integrated of Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 711–713, 707.
- S. H. Leng, F. E. Lu, and L. J. Xu, “Therapeutic effects of berberine in impaired glucose tolerance rats and its influence on insulin secretion,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 496–502, 2004.
- Y. Wang, T. Campbell, B. Perry, C. Beaurepaire, and L. Qin, “Hypoglycemic and insulin-sensitizing effects of berberine in high-fat diet- and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Metabolism, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 298–305, 2011.
- X. Xiao, Q. Zhang, K. Feng et al., “Berberine moderates glucose and lipid metabolism through multipathway mechanism,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 924851, 10 pages, 2011.
- W. Xie and L. Du, “Diabetes is an inflammatory disease: evidence from traditional Chinese medicines,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 289–301, 2011.
- Y.-C. Linn, J. Lu, L.-C. Lim et al., “Berberine-induced haemolysis revisited: safety of Rhizoma coptidis and cortex phellodendri in chronic haematological diseases,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 682–686, 2012.
- J. P. Liu, M. Zhang, W. Y. Wang, and S. Grimsgaard, “Chinese herbal medicines for type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD003642, 2004.
- M. R. Yu, S. S. Zhang, P. W. Zhang, Z. F. Shen, and M. Z. Xie, “Therapeutic observation of berberine for treating 105 cases of diabetes,” China'S Naturopathy, no. 3, pp. 31–32, 1996.
- W. Rong, S. L. Cai, B. S. Guo, and W. D. Dou, “The combination of glibenclamide, aspirin and berberine in the treatment of non-insulin dependent diabetes,” New Drugs and Clinical Remedies, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–110, 1997.
- L. Qiu, G. H. Sheng, Y. Qu, and S. Y. Wang, “Clinical efficiency of berberine hydrochloride in type 2 diabetes mellitus and its effect on serum adiponectin and insulin resistance factor levels,” Shanghai Medical Journal, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 679–681, 2011.
- J. H. Li, X. Ma, and H. L. Ma, “Treatment of diabetes II and 1R with berberine hydrochloride combined with intensified life interference,” Liaoning Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1858–1859, 2008.
- J. A. C. Sterne, D. Gavaghan, and M. Egger, “Publication and related bias in meta-analysis: power of statistical tests and prevalence in the literature,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1119–1129, 2000.
- Qimuge Na, T. Y. Zhao, M. He, and C. Tian, “Effectiveness and safety of berberine in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review,” Chinese Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 81–91, 2012.
- T. Y. Zhao and Qimuge Na, “Systematic review on berberine in the treatment of type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 60, supplement 1, article A621, 2011.
- W. Kong, J. Wei, P. Abidi et al., “Berberine is a novel cholesterol-lowering drug working through a unique mechanism distinct from statins,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1344–1351, 2004.
- A. F. G. Cicero, L. C. Rovati, and I. Setnikar, “Eulipidemic effects of berberine administered alone or in combination with other natural cholesterol-lowering agents: a single-blind clinical investigation,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 2007.