- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 595292, 11 pages
Terminalia catappa Exerts Antimetastatic Effects on Hepatocellular Carcinoma through Transcriptional Inhibition of Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 by Modulating NF-κB and AP-1 Activity
1School of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, 110 Chien-Kuo N. Road, Section 1, Taichung 402, Taiwan
2Department of Emergency Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, 110 Chien-Kuo N. Road, Section 1, Taichung 402, Taiwan
3Department of Emergency Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, 110 Chien-Kuo N. Road, Section 1, Taichung 402, Taiwan
4School of Medical Laboratory and Biotechnology, Chung Shan Medical University, 110 Chien-Kuo N. Road, Section 1, Taichung 402, Taiwan
5Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Chung Shan Medical University, 110 Chien-Kuo N. Road, Section 1, Taichung 402, Taiwan
6Wan Fang Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
7Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
8School of Pharmacy, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
9Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, 110 Chien-Kuo N. Road, Section 1, Taichung 402, Taiwan
10Department of Medical Research, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, 110 Chien-Kuo N. Road, Section 1, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Received 4 July 2012; Accepted 16 August 2012
Academic Editor: Seung-Heon Hong
Copyright © 2012 Chao-Bin Yeh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Y. Chen, Y. C. Li, Y. F. Liu et al., “Role of MMP14 gene polymorphisms in susceptibility and pathological development to hepatocellular carcinoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 2348–2356, 2011.
- B. Bauvois, “New facets of matrix metalloproteinases MMP-2 and MMP-9 as cell surface transducers: outside-in signaling and relationship to tumor progression,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1825, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2012.
- M. Björklund and E. Koivunen, “Gelatinase-mediated migration and invasion of cancer cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1755, no. 1, pp. 37–69, 2005.
- S. F. Yang, C. Y. Lin, P. Y. Yang, S. C. Chao, Y. Z. Ye, and D. N. Hu, “Increased expression of gelatinase (MMP-2 and MMP 9) in pterygia and pterygium fibroblasts with disease progression and activation of protein kinase C,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 4588–4596, 2009.
- S. F. Yang, M. K. Chen, Y. S. Hsieh et al., “Antimetastatic effects of Terminalia catappa L. on oral cancer via a down-regulation of metastasis-associated proteases,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1052–1058, 2010.
- C. B. Yeh, M. J. Hsieh, Y. H. Hsieh, et al., “Antimetastatic effects of norcantharidin on hepatocellular carcinoma by transcriptional inhibition of MMP-9 through Modulation of NF-B activity,” PLos ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e31055, 2012.
- X. H. Tang, L. Gao, J. Gao et al., “Mechanisms of hepatoprotection of Terminalia catappa L. extract on D-galactosamine-induced liver damage,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 509–519, 2004.
- X. Tang, J. Gao, Y. Wang et al., “Effective protection of Terminalia catappa L. leaves from damage induced by carbon tetrachloride in liver mitochondria,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 177–182, 2006.
- S. C. Chu, S. F. Yang, S. J. Liu, W. H. Kuo, Y. Z. Chang, and Y. S. Hsieh, “In vitro and in vivo antimetastatic effects of Terminalia catappa L. leaves on lung cancer cells,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1194–1201, 2007.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- S. F. Yang, W. E. Yang, H. R. Chang, S. C. Chu, and Y. S. Hsieh, “Luteolin induces apoptosis in oral squamous cancer cells,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 401–406, 2008.
- S. F. Yang, W. E. Yang, W. H. Kuo, H. R. Chang, S. C. Chu, and Y. S. Hsieh, “Antimetastatic potentials of flavones on oral cancer cell via an inhibition of matrix-degrading proteases,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 287–294, 2008.
- S. F. Yang, S. C. Chu, S. J. Liu, Y. C. Chen, Y. Z. Chang, and Y. S. Hsieh, “Antimetastatic activities of Selaginella tamariscina (Beauv.) on lung cancer cells in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 483–489, 2007.
- S. F. Yang, M. K. Chen, Y. S. Hsieh et al., “Prostaglandin E2/EP1 signaling pathway enhances intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) expression and cell motility in oral cancer cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 39, pp. 29808–29816, 2010.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- S. Kinoshita, Y. Inoue, S. Nakama, T. Ichiba, and Y. Aniya, “Antioxidant and hepatoprotective actions of medicinal herb, Terminalia catappa L. from Okinawa Island and its tannin corilagin,” Phytomedicine, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 755–762, 2007.
- C. C. Lin, Y. L. Chen, J. M. Lin, and T. Ujiie, “Evaluation of the antioxidant and hepatoprotective activity of Terminalia catappa,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 153–161, 1997.
- T. Y. Liu, L. K. Ho, Y. C. Tsai et al., “Modification of mitomycin C-induced clastogenicity by Terminalia catappa L. in vitro and in vivo,” Cancer Letters, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 113–118, 1996.
- X. H. Tang, J. Gao, H. Dou et al., “Protective effect of the extract of Terminalia catappa leaves on acute liver injury induced by D-GalN in mice,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1069–1073, 2004.
- P. S. Chen, J. H. Li, T. Y. Liu, and T. C. Lin, “Folk medicine Terminalia catappa and its major tannin component, punicalagin, are effective against bleomycin-induced genotoxicity in Chinese hamster ovary cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 2000.
- J. Gao, X. Tang, H. Dou, Y. Fan, X. Zhao, and Q. Xu, “Hepatoprotective activity of Terminalia catappa L. leaves and its two triterpenoids,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1449–1455, 2004.
- X. H. Tang, J. Gao, Y. P. Wang, L. Z. Xu, X. N. Zhao, and Q. Xu, “Hepatoprotective effects of chloroform extract from leaf of Terminalia catappa in relation to the inhibition of liver IL-6 expression,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1170–1174, 2003.
- C. C. Lin, Y. F. Hsu, and T. C. Lin, “Antioxidant and free radical scavenging effects of the tannins of Terminalia catappa L.,” Anticancer Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 237–244, 2001.
- K. C. Wen, I. C. Shih, J. C. Hu, et al., “Inhibitory effects of Terminalia catappa on UVB-induced photodamage in fibroblast cell line,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 904532, 9 pages, 2011.
- Y. M. Fan, L. Z. Xu, J. Gao et al., “Phytochemical and antiinflammatory studies on Terminalia catappa,” Fitoterapia, vol. 75, no. 3-4, pp. 253–260, 2004.
- T. F. Ko, Y. M. Weng, S. B. Lin, and R. Y. Y. Chiou, “Antimutagenicity of supercritical CO2 extracts of Terminalia catappa leaves and cytotoxicity of the extracts to human hepatoma cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3564–3567, 2003.
- T. Morioka, M. Suzui, V. Nabandith et al., “Modifying effects of Terminalia catappa on azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis in male F344 rats,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 101–105, 2005.
- Y. Takada, S. Singh, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Identification of a p65 peptide that selectively inhibits NF-κB activation induced by various inflammatory stimuli and its role in down-regulation of NF-κB-mediated gene expression and up-regulation of apoptosis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 15, pp. 15096–15104, 2004.
- M. H. Chien, T. H. Ying, Y. S. Hsieh, et al., “Dioscorea nipponica Makino inhibits migration and invasion of human oral cancer HSC-3 cells by transcriptional inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-2 through modulation of CREB and AP-1 activity,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 558–566, 2012.
- B. B. Aggarwal, “Nuclear factor-κB: the enemy within,” Cancer Cell, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 203–208, 2004.