- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 603678, 7 pages
Antioxidant Activities of Stilbenoids from Rheum emodi Wall
School of Pharmacy, Yantai University, Yantai 264005, China
Received 21 June 2012; Revised 30 August 2012; Accepted 27 September 2012
Academic Editor: DaoFeng Chen
Copyright © 2012 Yuan-yuan Chai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. W. Stief, “The physiology and pharmacology of singlet oxygen,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 567–572, 2003.
- T. P. A. Devasagayam, J. C. Tilak, K. K. Boloor, K. S. Sane, S. S. Ghaskadbi, and R. D. Lele, “Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: current status and future prospects,” Journal of Association of Physicians of India, vol. 52, pp. 794–804, 2004.
- H. U. Simon, A. Haj-Yehia, and F. Levi-Schaffer, “Role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in apoptosis induction,” Apoptosis, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 415–418, 2000.
- A. P. Wickens, “Ageing and the free radical theory,” Respiration Physiology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 379–391, 2001.
- J. H. Cohen, A. R. Kristal, and J. L. Stanford, “Fruit and vegetable intakes and prostate cancer risk,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 2000.
- J. Lee, N. Koo, and D. B. Min, “Reactive oxygen species, aging, and antioxidative nutraceuticals,” Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 21–33, 2004.
- K. P. L. Bhat, J. W. Kosmeder, and J. M. Pezzuto, “Biological effects of resveratrol,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1041–1064, 2001.
- J. A. Baur and D. A. Sinclair, “Therapeutic potential of resveratrol: the in vivo evidence,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 493–506, 2006.
- D. Delmas, B. Jannin, and N. Latruffe, “Resveratrol: preventing properties against vascular alterations and ageing,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 377–395, 2005.
- X. W. Xu, G. Q. Qiu, M. Z. Li, et al., “Study on hemolysis, allergic reaction and stimulation of polydatin injection,” Traditional Chinese New Drugs and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 174–178, 2008.
- B. P. Nautiyal, V. Prakash, U. C. Maithani, R. S. Chauhan, H. Purohit, and M. C. Nautiyal, “Germinability, productivity and economic viability of Rheum emodi Wall. ex Meissn. cultivated at lower altitude,” Current Science, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 143–148, 2003.
- Z. Q. Xie, “Ecogeographical distribution of the species from Rheum L., (Polygonaceae) in China,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Chinese National Symposim on Biodiversity Protection and Sustained Utilization, pp. 230–238, 1998.
- X. Peigen, H. Liyi, and W. Liwei, “Ethnopharmacologic study of Chinese rhubarb,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 275–293, 1984.
- J. L. Li, Z. B. Wang, and J. S. Li, “Studies on hypoglycemic action of Rheum emodi,” Journal of Chinese Medicinal Materials, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 249–250, 1997.
- Z. Q. Liu, A. Q. Zhu, and M. H. Yu, “Effect of Rheum emodi Wall on express level of TNF-α, IL-1β and IL-6 on acute ischemic stroke at high altitude,” Chinese Traditional Patent Medicine, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1100–1102, 2008.
- B. A. Zargar, M. H. Masoodi, B. Ahmed, and S. A. Ganie, “Phytoconstituents and therapeutic uses of Rheum emodi wall. ex Meissn,” Food Chemistry, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 585–589, 2011.
- V. Rajkumar, G. Guha, and R. A. Kumar, “Antioxidant and anticancer potentials of Rheum emodi Rhizome extracts,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 697986, 9 pages, 2011.
- A. Q. Wang, J. L. Li, and J. S. Li, “Chemical constituents of Rheum emodi,” Chinese Traditional and Herbal Drugs, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 343–347, 2010.
- B. Liu, J. Yang, and S. Wang, “The chemical constituents in rhubarb rhizomes and roots derived from Rheum emodi wall,” West China Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 33–35, 2007.
- J. G. Lu, S. Wang, X. L. Yan, et al., “Content determination of piceatannol-4′-O-β-D-glucopyranoside in Rheum emodi,” West China Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 704–705, 2008.
- B. C. Vastano, Y. Chen, N. Zhu, C. T. Ho, Z. Zhou, and R. T. Rosen, “Isolation and identification of stilbenes in two varieties of Polygonum cuspidatum,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 253–256, 2000.
- N. R. Ferrigni, J. L. McLaughlin, R. G. Powell, and C. R. Smith, “Use of potato disc and brine shrimp bioassays to detect activity and isolate piceatannol as the antileukemic principle from the seeds of Euphorbia lagascae,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 347–352, 1984.
- L. R. Fukumoto and G. Mazza, “Assessing antioxidant and prooxidant activities of phenolic compounds,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 3597–3604, 2000.
- R. Zhou and S. F. Li, “In vitro antioxidant analysis and characterisation of antler velvet extract,” Food Chemistry, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 1321–1327, 2009.
- M. Oyaizu, “Studies on products of browning reaction—antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine,” Japanese Journal of Nutrition, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 307–315, 1986.
- H. Y. Fan, Y. Yang, F. H. Fu et al., “Cardioprotective effects of salvianolic acid A on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in vivo and in vitro,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 508938, 9 pages, 2012.
- A. L. Zhang, A. P. Lan, D. D. Zheng, et al., “Edaravone protects H9c2 cells against chemical hypoxia-induced injury,” Chinese Journal of Arteriosclerosis, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 304–308, 2012.
- T. Finkel and N. J. Holbrook, “Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing,” Nature, vol. 408, no. 6809, pp. 239–247, 2000.
- B. Halliwell, R. Aeschbach, J. Löliger, and O. I. Aruoma, “The characterization of antioxidants,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 601–617, 1995.
- M. H. Carlsen, B. L. Halvorsen, K. Holte et al., “The total antioxidant content of more than 3100 foods, beverages, spices, herbs and supplements used worldwide,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, article 3, 2010.
- J. G. Fang, M. Lu, Z. H. Chen, et al., “Antioxidant effects of resveratrol and its analogues against the free-radical-induced peroxidation of linoleic acid in micelles,” Chemistry—A European Journal, vol. 8, no. 18, pp. 4191–4198, 2002.
- N. Cotelle, J. L. Bernier, J. P. Henichart, J. P. Catteau, E. Gaydou, and J. C. Wallet, “Scavenger and antioxidant properties of ten synthetic flavones,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 211–219, 1992.
- T. Watanabe, M. Tahara, and S. Todo, “The novel antioxidant edaravone: from bench to bedside,” Cardiovascular Therapeutics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 101–114, 2008.
- H. Yoshida, H. Yanai, Y. Namiki, K. Fukatsu-Sasaki, N. Furutani, and N. Tada, “Neuroprotective effects of edaravone: a novel free radical scavenger in cerebrovascular injury,” CNS Drug Reviews, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 2006.
- A. W. Girotti, “Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1529–1542, 1998.
- E. X. Zhang, L. J. Yu, Y. L. Zhou, and X. Xiao, “Studies on the peroxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acid from lipoprotein induced by iron and the evaluation of the anti-oxidative activity of some natural products,” Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 221–222, 1996.
- Y. Y. Chai, Studies on antioxidant activity and pharmacokinetics of piceatannol and its glycoside [M.S. thesis], Yantai University, Shandong, China, 2012.
- S. H. Gao, Studies on determination of polydatin in biological matrice and preclinical pharmacokinetics [M.S. thesis], Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China, 2005.
- J. Slezak, N. Tribulova, J. Pristacova et al., “Hydrogen peroxide changes in ischemic and reperfused heart: cytochemistry and biochemical and X-ray microanalysis,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 772–781, 1995.