- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 617918, 9 pages
Use of Chinese Medicine and Subsequent Surgery in Women with Uterine Fibroid: A Retrospective Cohort Study
1Department of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, No. 2 Yuh-Der Road, Taichung 40447, Taiwan
2School of Post-Baccalaureate Chinese Medicine, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
3Department of Public Health, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
4Management Office for Health Data, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
5Department of Community Health Sciences, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1772, USA
Received 18 June 2012; Revised 1 September 2012; Accepted 3 September 2012
Academic Editor: Tat leang Lee
Copyright © 2012 Shan-Yu Su et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Okolo, “Incidence, aetiology and epidemiology of uterine fibroids,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 571–588, 2008.
- E. R. Cardozo, A. D. Clark, N. K. Banks, M. B. Henne, B. J. Stegmann, and J. H. Segars, “The estimated annual cost of uterine leiomyomata in the United States,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 206, no. 3, pp. 211.e1–211.e9, 2012.
- A. Plewka, D. Plewka, P. Madej, G. Nowaczyk, K. Sieron-Stoltny, and B. Jakubiec-Bartnik, “Processes of apoptosis and cell proliferation in uterine myomas originating from reproductive and perimenopausal women,” Folia Histochemica et Cytobiologica, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 398–404, 2011.
- E. A. Pritts, W. H. Parker, and D. L. Olive, “Fibroids and infertility: an updated systematic review of the evidence,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 1215–1223, 2009.
- S. A. Lippman, M. Warner, S. Samuels, D. Olive, P. Vercellini, and B. Eskenazi, “Uterine fibroids and gynecologic pain symptoms in a population-based study,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1488–1494, 2003.
- J. H. Yang, M. J. Chen, C. D. Chen, C. L. Chen, H. N. Ho, and Y. S. Yang, “Impact of submucous myoma on the severity of anemia,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1769–1772, 2011.
- S. Sankaran and I. T. Manyonda, “Medical management of fibroids,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 655–676, 2008.
- N. Duhan, “Current and emerging treatments for uterine myoma—an update,” International Journal of Women's Health, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 231–242, 2011.
- A. Chalermchockchareonkit, P. Tekasakul, P. Chaisilwattana, K. Sirimai, and N. Wahab, “Laparoscopic hysterectomy versus abdominal hysterectomy for severe pelvic endometriosis,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 109–111, 2012.
- R. D. Clayton, “Hysterectomy,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 73–87, 2006.
- M. Sabry and A. Al-Hendy, “Medical treatment of uterine leiomyoma,” Reproductive Sciences, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 339–353, 2012.
- L. C. Chang, N. Huang, Y. J. Chou, C. H. Lee, F. Y. Kao, and Y. T. Huang, “Utilization patterns of Chinese medicine and Western medicine under the National Health Insurance Program in Taiwan, a population-based study from 1997 to 2003,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 8, article 170, 2008.
- M. K. Lim, P. Sadarangani, H. L. Chan, and J. Y. Heng, “Complementary and alternative medicine use in multiracial Singapore,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 16–24, 2005.
- C. C. Tu, C. S. Li, C. M. Liu, and C. C. Liu, “Comparative use of biomedicine and chinese medicine in Taiwan: using the NHI research database,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 339–346, 2011.
- C.-C. Shih, C.-C. Liao, Y.-C. Su, C.-C. Tsai, and J.-G. Lin, “Gender differences in traditional chinese medicine use among adults in Taiwan,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e32540, 2012.
- P. M. Wolsko, D. M. Eisenberg, R. B. Davis, S. L. Ettner, and R. S. Phillips, “Insurance coverage, medical conditions, and visits to alternative medicine providers: results of a national survey,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 281–287, 2002.
- S. C. Hsieh, J. N. Lai, C. F. Lee, F. C. Hu, W. L. Tseng, and J. D. Wang, “The prescribing of Chinese herbal products in Taiwan: a cross-sectional analysis of the national health insurance reimbursement database,” Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 609–619, 2008.
- F. P. Chen, Y. Y. Kung, T. J. Chen, and S. J. Hwang, “Demographics and patterns of acupuncture use in the Chinese population: the Taiwan experience,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 379–387, 2006.
- F.-P. Chen, T.-J. Chen, Y.-Y. Kung et al., “Use frequency of traditional Chinese medicine in Taiwan,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 7, article 26, 2007.
- M. H. Lin, M. Y. Chou, C. K. Liang, L. N. Peng, and L. K. Chen, “Population aging and its impacts: strategies of the health-care system in Taipei,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 9, supplement 1, pp. S23–S27, 2010.
- C. Chi, J. L. Lee, S. L. Tsai, and W. Y. Chen, “Out-of-pocket payment for medical care under Taiwan's national health insurance system,” Health Economics, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 961–975, 2008.
- M. S. Jong, S. J. Hwang, Y. C. Chen, T. J. Chen, F. J. Chen, and F. P. Chen, “Prescriptions of chinese herbal medicine for constipation under the National Health Insurance in Taiwan,” Journal of the Chinese Medical Association, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 375–383, 2010.
- F.-P. Chen, M.-S. Jong, Y.-C. Chen et al., “Prescriptions of Chinese herbal medicines for insomnia in Taiwan during 2002,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 236341, 9 pages, 2011.
- Y. H. Lin and J. H. Chiu, “Use of Chinese medicine by women with breast cancer: a nationwide cross-sectional study in Taiwan,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 137–143, 2011.
- M. A. Navo, J. Phan, C. Vaughan et al., “An assessment of the utilization of complementary and alternative medication in women with gynecologic or breast malignancies,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 671–677, 2004.
- H. L. Liao, T. C. Ma, Y. L. Chiu, J. T. Chen, and Y. S. Chang, “Factors influencing the purchasing behavior of TCM outpatients in Taiwan,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 741–748, 2008.
- N. H. Nik Hazlina, I. M. Pazudin, A. G. Nor Aliza, and S. J. S. Mohsin, “Clinical study to compare the efficacy and adverse effects of Nona Roguy herbal formulation and gonadotrophin releasing hormone agonist (GnRH) in the treatment of uterine fibroids,” International Medical Journal, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 295–302, 2005.
- T. Akase, T. Akase, S. Onodera et al., “A comparative study of the usefulness of Toki-shakuyaku-san and an oral iron preparation in the treatment of hypochromic anemia in cases of uterine myoma,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 123, no. 9, pp. 817–824, 2003.
- T. Akase, S. Onodera, R. Matsushita, T. Akase, and S. I. Tashiro, “A comparative study of laboratory parameters and symptoms effected by Toki-shakuyaku-san and an iron preparation in rats with iron-deficiency anemia,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 871–878, 2004.
- J. P. Liu, H. Yang, Y. Xia, and F. Cardini, “Herbal preparations for uterine fibroids.,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, article CD005292, 2009.