- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 620384, 9 pages
Inhibitory Activities of Zygophyllum album: A Natural Weight-Lowering Plant on Key Enzymes in High-Fat Diet-Fed Rats
1Laboratory of Animal Ecophysiology, Faculty of Sciences of Sfax, University of Sfax, P.O. Box 95, Sfax 3000, Tunisia
2Laboratory of Chemistry of Natural Products, Faculty of Sciences of Sfax, B.P. 1171, Sfax 3000, Tunisia
3Biotechnology High School of Sfax (ISBS), University of Sfax, P.O. Box 261, Sfax 3052, Tunisia
4Hematological and Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory, Hospital of Sidi Bouzid, Sidi Bouzid 9100, Tunisia
Received 13 May 2012; Accepted 13 August 2012
Academic Editor: David Mischoulon
Copyright © 2012 Kais Mnafgui et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Formiguera and A. Cantón, “Obesity: epidemiology and clinical aspects,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1125–1146, 2004.
- D. W. Haslam and W. P. T. James, “Obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9492, pp. 1197–1209, 2005.
- M. L. Power and J. Schulkin, “Sex differences in fat storage, fat metabolism, and the health risks from obesity: possible evolutionary origins,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 931–940, 2008.
- S. M. Grundy, “Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2595–2600, 2004.
- P. Singla, A. Bardoloi, and A. A. Parkash, “Metabolic effects of obesity,” A Review World Journal of Diabetes, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 76–88, 2010.
- L. A. Profenno, A. P. Porsteinsson, and S. V. Faraone, “Meta-analysis of Alzheimer's disease risk with obesity, diabetes, and related disorders,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 505–512, 2010.
- C. J. Lavie, R. V. Milani, and H. O. Ventura, “Obesity and cardiovascular disease. risk factor, paradox, and impact of weight loss,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 53, no. 21, pp. 1925–1932, 2009.
- S. Yusuf, S. Reddy, S. Ôunpuu, and S. Anand, “Global burden of cardiovascular diseases. Part I: general considerations, the epidemiologic transition, risk factors, and impact of urbanization,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 22, pp. 2746–2753, 2001.
- G. Anfossi, P. Massucco, K. Bonomo, and M. Trovati, “Prescription of statins to dyslipidemic patients affected by liver diseases: a subtle balance between risks and benefits,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 215–224, 2004.
- B. Rahul, R. B. Birari, and K. K. Bhutani, “Pancreatic lipase inhibitors from natural sources unexplored potential,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 12, no. 19-20, pp. 879–889, 2007.
- V. Tackholm, Students Flora of Egypt, Cairo University Press, Cairo, Egypt, 1977.
- B. A. Beier, M. W. Chase, and M. Thulin, “Phylogenetic relationships and taxonomy of subfamily Zygophylloideae (Zygophyllaceae) based on molecular and morphological data,” Plant Systematics and Evolution, vol. 240, no. 1–4, pp. 11–39, 2003.
- H. H. Hassanean, E. K. Desoky, and M. M. A. El-Hamouly, “Quinovic acid glycosides from Zygophyllum album,” Phytochemistry, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 663–666, 1993.
- D. Smati, A. Longeon, and M. Guyot, “3β-(3,4-Dihydroxycinnamoyl)-erythrodiol, a cytotoxic constituent of Zygophyllum geslini collected in the Algerian Sahara,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 95, no. 2-3, pp. 405–407, 2004.
- A. M. Y. Moustafa, A. I. Khodhair, F. M. Hammouda, and H. A. Husseiny, “Phytochemical and toxicological studies of Zygophyllum album L.F.,” Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 220–237, 2007.
- S. R. Hussein, M. M. Marzouk, L. F. Ibrahim, S. A. Kawashty, and N. A. M. Saleh, “Flavonoids of Zygophyllum album L.f. and Zygophyllum simplex L., (Zygophyllaceae),” Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, vol. 39, no. 4–6, pp. 778–780, 2011.
- J. El Ghoul, N. Ghanem-Boughanmi, and M. Ben-Attia, “Biochemical study on the protective effect of ethanolic extract of Zygophyllum album on streptozotocin-induced oxidative stress and toxicity in mice,” Biomedicine & Preventive Nutrition, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 79–83, 2011.
- H. Y. Chen, Y. C. Lin, and C. L. Hsieh, “Evaluation of antioxidant activity of aqueous extract of some selected nutraceutical herbs,” Food Chemistry, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 1418–1424, 2007.
- A. Djeridane, M. Yousfi, B. Nadjemi, D. Boutassouna, P. Stocker, and N. Vidal, “Antioxidant activity of some algerian medicinal plants extracts containing phenolic compounds,” Food Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 654–660, 2006.
- M. Nakai, Y. Fukui, S. Asami et al., “Inhibitory effects of oolong tea polyphenols on pancreatic lipase in vitro,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 4593–4598, 2005.
- H. G. Shertzer, S. E. Woods, M. Krishan, M. B. Genter, and K. J. Pearson, “Dietary whey protein lowers the risk for metabolic disease in mice fed a high-fat diet,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 141, no. 4, pp. 582–587, 2011.
- D. Medrikova, Z. M. Jilkova, K. Bardova, P. Janovska, M. Rossmeisl, and J. Kopecky, “Sex differences during the course of diet-induced obesity in mice: adipose tissue expandability and glycemic control,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 36, pp. 262–272, 2012.
- N. Moussavi, V. Gavino, and O. Receveur, “Could the quality of dietary fat, and not just its quantity, be related to risk of obesity,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 2008.
- Y. Macotela, J. Boucher, T. T. Tran, and C. R. Kahn, “Sex and depot differences in adipocyte insulin sensitivity and glucose,” Diabetes, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 803–812, 2009.
- H. J. Park, J. Y. Cho, M. K. Kim et al., “Anti-obesity effect of Schisandra chinensis in 3T3-L1 cells and high fat diet-induced obese rats,” Food Chemistry, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 227–234, 2012.
- R. Birari, V. Javia, and K. K. Bhutani, “Antiobesity and lipid lowering effects of Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng leaves extracts and mahanimbine on high fat diet induced obese rats,” Fitoterapia, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1129–1133, 2010.
- K. Maiza, V. Hammiche, and R. A. Brac de la Perrière, “Traditional saharian pharmacopoeia,” in ISHS Acta Horticulturae, H. Schilcher, J. D. Phillipson, and D. Loew, Eds., p. 332, WOCMAP I–Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Conference, Maastricht, The Netherlands, 1993.
- G. J. McDougall and D. Stewart, “The inhibitory effects of berry polyphenols on digestive enzymes,” BioFactors, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 189–195, 2005.
- M. Yamamoto, S. Shimura, Y. Itoh, T. Ohsaka, M. Egawa, and S. Inoue, “Anti-obesity effects of lipase inhibitor CT-II, an extract from edible herbs, Nomame Herba, on rats fed a high-fat diet,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 758–764, 2000.
- N. A. M. Saleh and M. N. El-Hadidi, “An approach to the chemosystematics of the zygophyllaceae,” Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 121–128, 1977.
- A. F. Hofmann and B. Borgström, “The intraluminal phase of fat digestion in man: the lipid content of the micellar and oil phases of intestinal content obtained during fat digestion and absorption,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, pp. 247–257, 1964.
- A. Halpern and M. C. Mancini, “Treatment of obesity: an update on anti-obesity medications,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 25–42, 2003.
- G. J. McDougall, N. N. Kulkarni, and D. Stewart, “Berry polyphenols inhibit pancreatic lipase activity in vitro,” Food Chemistry, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 193–199, 2009.
- F. Carrière, C. Renou, S. Ransac et al., “Inhibition of gastrointestinal lipolysis by Orlistat during digestion of test meals in healthy volunteers,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 1, pp. G16–G28, 2001.
- S. Subramaniam, R. Subramaniam, S. Rajapandian, S. Uthrapathi, V. R. Gnanamanickam, and G. P. Dubey, “Anti-atherogenic activity of ethanolic fraction of terminalia arjuna bark on hypercholesterolemic rabbits,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 487916, 8 pages, 2011.
- B. Perry, J. Junzeng Zhang, C. Sun, T. Saleh, and Y. Wang, “Liuwei Dihuang lowers bodyweight and improves insulin and leptin sensitivity in obese rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 847167, 8 pages, 2012.
- J. L. Wang, N. Chinookoswong, S. Scully, M. Qi, and Z. Q. Shi, “Differential effects of leptin in regulation of tissue glucose utilization in vivo,” Endocrinology, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 2117–2124, 1999.
- F. Galletti, L. D. Elia, D. De Palma et al., “Hyperleptinemia is associated with hypertension, systemic inflammation and insulin resistance in overweight but not in normal weight men,” Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 300–306, 2012.
- P. L. Golden, T. J. Maccagnan, and W. M. Pardridge, “Human blood-brain barrier leptin receptor. Binding and endocytosis in isolated human brain microvessels,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 1997.
- R. V. Considine, M. K. Sinha, M. L. Heiman et al., “Serum immunoreactive-leptin concentrations in normal-weight and obese humans,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 5, pp. 292–295, 1996.
- G. H. Lee, R. Proenca, J. M. Montez et al., “Abnormal splicing of the leptin receptor in diabetic mice,” Nature, vol. 379, no. 6566, pp. 632–635, 1996.
- E. W. Shek, M. W. Brands, and J. E. Hall, “Chronic leptin infusion increases arterial pressure,” Hypertension, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 409–414, 1998.
- M. Barton, R. Carmona, J. Ortmann, J. E. Krieger, and T. Traupe, “Obesity-associated activation of angiotensin and endothelin in the cardiovascular system,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 826–837, 2003.
- K. Masuo, H. Mikami, T. Ogihara, and M. L. Tuck, “Weight reduction and pharmacologic treatment in obese hypertensives,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 14, no. 6 I, pp. 530–538, 2001.
- E. L. Santos, K. de Picoli Souza, E. D. da Silva et al., “Long term treatment with ACE inhibitor enalapril decreases body weight gain and increases life span in rats,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 951–958, 2009.
- F. M. Sacks, W. C. Willett, A. Smith, L. E. Brown, B. Rosner, and T. J. Moore, “Effect on blood pressure of potassium, calcium, and magnesium in women with low habitual intake,” Hypertension, vol. 31, no. 1 I, pp. 131–138, 1998.
- M. R. Joffres, D. M. Reed, and K. Yano, “Relationship of magnesium intake and other dietary factors to blood pressure: the Honolulu heart study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 469–475, 1987.