- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 628750, 9 pages
Effect of Piper sarmentosum Extract on the Cardiovascular System of Diabetic Sprague-Dawley Rats: Electron Microscopic Study
1Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abd Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abd Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 11 April 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Benny Tan Kwong Huat
Copyright © 2012 Zar Chi Thent et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Aronson, “Cross-linking of glycated collagen in the pathogenesis of arterial and myocardial stiffening of aging and diabetes,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 2003.
- O. Nemoto, M. Kawaguchi, H. Yaoita, K. Miyake, K. Maehara, and Y. Maruyama, “Left ventricular dysfunction and remodeling in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Circulation Journal, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 327–334, 2006.
- Y. M. Searls, I. V. Smirnova, B. R. Fegley, and L. Stehno-Bittel, “Exercise attenuates diabetes-induced ultrastructural changes in rat cardiac tissue,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1863–1870, 2004.
- S. B. Budin, F. Othman, S. R. Louis et al., “Effect of alpha lipoic acid on oxidative stress and vascular wall of diabetic rats,” Romanian Journal of Morphology and Embryology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2008.
- C. Michiels, M. Raes, O. Toussaint, and J. Remacle, “Importance of se-glutathione peroxidase, catalase, and Cu/Zn-SOD for cell survival against oxidative stress,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 235–248, 1994.
- O. Bilim, Y. Takeishi, T. Kitahara et al., “Diacylglycerol kinase ζ inhibits myocardial atrophy and restores cardiac dysfunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 7, article 2, 2008.
- I. G. Poornima, P. Parikh, and R. P. Shannon, “Diabetic cardiomyopathy: the search for a unifying hypothesis,” Circulation Research, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 596–605, 2006.
- V. Subramaniam, M. I. Adenan, A. R. Ahmed, and R. Shahdan, “Natural antioxidants: Piper sarmentosum (Kadok) and Morinda elliptica (Mengkudu),” Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 2003.
- L. M. Perry, Medicinal plants of East and South East Asia, MIT press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1981.
- V. S. Parmar, S. C. Jain, K. S. Bisht et al., “Phytochemistry of the genus Piper,” Phytochemistry, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 597–673, 1997.
- H. M. D. Navickiene, A. C. Alécio, M. J. Kato et al., “Antifungal amides from Piper hispidum and Piper tuberculatum,” Phytochemistry, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 621–626, 2000.
- P. Peungvicha, S. S. Thirawarapan, R. Temsiririrkkul, H. Watanabe, J. Kumar Prasain, and S. Kadota, “Hypoglycemic effect of the water extract of Piper sarmentosum in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1998.
- A. A. Amran, Z. Zakaria, F. Othman, S. Das, S. Raj L, and N. M. M. Nordin, “Aqueous extract of Piper sarmentosum decreases atherosclerotic lesions in high cholesterolemic experimental rabbits,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 9, article 44, 2010.
- S. L. Teoh, A. A. Latiff, and S. Das, “The effect of topical extract of Momordica charantia (bitter gourd) on wound healing in nondiabetic rats and in rats with diabetes induced by streptozotocin,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 815–822, 2009.
- X. M. Zhang, F. Shen, Z. Y. Xv, Z. Y. Yan, and S. Han, “Expression changes of thrombospondin-1 and neuropeptide Y in myocardium of STZ-induced rats,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 192–197, 2005.
- J. I. Malone, D. D. Schocken, A. D. Morrison, and E. Gilbert-Barness, “Diabetic cardiomyopathy and carnitine deficiency,” Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 86–90, 1999.
- E. Dobrzynski, D. Montanari, J. Agata, J. Zhu, J. Chao, and L. Chao, “Adrenomedullin improves cardiac function and prevents renal damage in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 6, pp. E1291–E1298, 2002.
- D. S. Kim, H. J. Kwon, H. D. Jang, and Y. I. Kwon, “In vitroα-glucosidase inhibitory potential and antioxidant activity of selected lamiaceae species inhabited in Korean Penninsula,” Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 239–244, 2009.
- Y. I. Kwon, D. A. Vattem, and K. Shetty, “Evaluation of clonal herbs of Lamiaceae species for management of diabetes and hypertension,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 107–118, 2006.
- F. J. Bedoya, F. Solano, and M. Lucas, “N-monomethyl-arginine and nicotinamide prevent streptozotocin-induced double strand DNA break formation in pancreatic rat islets,” Experientia, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 344–347, 1996.
- M. Pongmarutai, “Study on antidiabetic action of Piper rostratum,” in Research Abstracts and Text Books, pp. 1969–1989, Prince of Songkhla University, Bangkok, Thailand, 1989.
- K. Likhitwitayawuid, N. Ruangrungsi, G. L. Lange, and C. P. Decicco, “Structural elucidation and synthesis of new components isolated from Piper sarmentosum (Piperaceae),” Tetrahedron, vol. 43, no. 16, pp. 3689–3694, 1987.
- L. J. Ignarro, R. E. Byrns, D. Sumi, F. de Nigris, and C. Napoli, “Pomegranate juice protects nitric oxide against oxidative destruction and enhances the biological actions of nitric oxide,” Nitric Oxide, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 93–102, 2006.
- M. Vessal, M. Hemmati, and M. Vasei, “Antidiabetic effects of quercetin in streptozocin-induced diabetic rats,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 357–364, 2003.
- F. C. Howarth, M. A. Qureshi, P. Lawrence, and E. Adeghate, “Chronic effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on the ultrastructure of rat ventricular and papillary muscle,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 119–124, 2000.
- M. Tomita, S. Mukae, E. Geshi, K. Umetsu, M. Nakatani, and T. Katagiri, “Mitochondrial respiratory impairment in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat heart,” Japanese Circulation Journal, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 673–682, 1996.
- Z. C. Thent, S. L. Teoh, S. Das, and Z. Zakaria, “Histological changes in the heart and the proximal aorta in experimental diabetic rats fed with Piper sarmentosum,” African Journal of Traditional and Alternative Complementary Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 396–404, 2012.
- N. S. Dhalla, X. Liu, V. Panagia, and N. Takeda, “Subcellular remodeling and heart dysfunction in chronic diabetes,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 239–247, 1998.
- P. J. Beisswenger, L. L. Moore, T. Brinck-Johnsen, and T. J. Curphey, “Increased collagen-linked pentosidine levels and advanced glycosylation end products in early diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 212–217, 1993.
- T. Nishikawa, D. Edelstein, X. L. Du et al., “Normalizing mitochondrial superoxide production blocks three pathways of hyperglycaemic damage,” Nature, vol. 404, no. 6779, pp. 787–790, 2000.