- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 636547, 18 pages
A Systematic Review of Xuezhikang, an Extract from Red Yeast Rice, for Coronary Heart Disease Complicated by Dyslipidemia
1Graduate School of Chinese Medicine, Beijing University, Beijing 100029, China
2Centre for Evidence-Based Chinese Medicine, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100029, China
3Cardiovascular Disease Center, Xiyuan Hospital, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100091, China
Received 14 November 2011; Accepted 9 January 2012
Academic Editor: Myeong Soo Lee
Copyright © 2012 Qinghua Shang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- The Task Force for the Management of Dyslipidemias of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Atherosclerosis Society (EAS), “ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidemias,” European Heart Journal, vol. 32, pp. 1769–1818, 2011.
- Z. L. Liu, J. P. Liu, A. L. Zhang et al., “Chinese herbal medicines for hypercholesterolemia,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 7, Article ID CD008305, 2011.
- Joint Commission on China Adult Dyslipidemia Prevention Guildeline, “China adult dyslipidemia prevention guildeline,” Chinese Journal of Cardiology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 390–419, 2007.
- Z. Lu, W. Kou, B. Du et al., “Effect of Xuezhikang, an extract from red yeast Chinese rice, on coronary events in a Chinese population with previous myocardial infarction,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 1689–1693, 2008.
- X. H. Dai, X. Z. Zhuo, X. Y. Xue, W. M. Yang, X. Q. Yu, and Y. X. Zhou, “Xuezhikang capsule for unstable angina pectoris,” Traditional Chinese Drug Research & Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 202–204, 1999.
- W. H. Wang, H. Zhang, Y. L. Yu, Z. C. Ge, C. Xue, and P. Y. Zhang, “Effect of Xuezhikang for patients with acute coronary syndrom complicated with different serum lipid levels,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1073–1076, 2004.
- R. G. Ye and Z. Y. Lu, Internal Medicine, People's Medical Publishing House, 6th edition, 2005.
- Bureau of Drug Administration of People's Republic of China, “Cardiovascular medicine clinical research guilding principles,” 1993.
- R. S. Gao and Z. J. Chen, “Further Improving the understanding of unstable angina pectoris,” Chinese Journal of Cardiology, vol. 22, no. 4, article 243, 1994.
- Chinese Society of Cardiology, “Diagnosis and treatment recommendation for unstable angina pectoris,” Chinese Journal of Cardiology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 409–412, 2000.
- E. Braunwald, E. M. Antman, J. W. Beasley et al., “ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with unstable angina and non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: executive summary and recommendations: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines (committee on the management of patients with unstable angina),” Circulation, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 1193–1209, 2000.
- Y. Y. Zheng, Chinese Herbal Medicine Clinical Research Guilding Principles (for trial implementation), Chinese Medicine and Technology Publishing House, 2002.
- H. Z. Chen, Practice Internal Medicine, The People's Medical Publishing House, Beijing, China, 10th edition, 2005.
- D. S. Goodman, S. B. Hulley, L. T. Clark, et al., “Report of the national cholesterol education program expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 36–69, 1988.
- S. M. Grundy, D. Bilheimer, A. Chait et al., “Summary of the second report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel II),” JAMA, vol. 269, no. 23, pp. 3015–3023, 1993.
- X. Fang, Z. L. Wang, T. H. Ning, et al., “Prevent and treatment recommendation for dyslipidemia,” Chinese Journal of Cardiology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 169–175, 1997.
- J. I. Cleeman, “Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” JAMA, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001.
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, C. N. Bairey Merz et al., “Implications of recent clinical trials for the national cholesterol education program adult treatment panel III guidelines,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 227–239, 2004.
- S. C. Smith, J. Allen, S. N. Blair et al., “AHA/ACC guidelines for secondary prevention for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2006 Update,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 19, pp. 2363–2372, 2006.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, “Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions, version 5.0.2 [updated September 2009],” The Cochrane Collaboration, 2009, http://www.cochrane-handbook.org/.
- L. S. Gao and Y. Liao, “Clinical observation of Xuezhikang and fluvastatin sodium capsules on serum lipid,” Modern Journal of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, vol. 12, no. 23, article 2528, 2003.
- S. Q. Guan, “Long-term effect of Xuezhikang for patients with coronary heart diseae complicated with hyperlipidemia,” Guide of China Medicine, no. 1, pp. 62–63, 2010.
- S. T. Huang, X. L. Chen, and J. Zhang, “Clinical observation of Xuezhikang for patients with coronary heart disease complicated with hyperlipidemia,” Proceeding of Clinical Medicine, no. 3, pp. 193–195, 2005.
- S. X. Huang, J. Z. Yin, M. Pan, and Q. L. Liang, “Effect of Xuezhikang for aged patients with angina pectoris complicated with dyslipidemia,” Contempoary Medicine, vol. 13, pp. 128–129, 2009.
- W. H. Jiang and Z. D. Cai, “Clinical observation of simvastatin for 45 patients with hyperlipidemia,” Medical Information, no. 10, pp. 699–700, 2001.
- B. Li, S. Y. Hu, X. Wu, H. L. Xu, H. M. Zhang, and L. Wang, “Effect of Xuezhikang for patients with coronary heart disease on anti-oxidation and anti-imflammation,” Progress in Modern Biomedicine, no. 12, pp. 2289–2291, 2011.
- H. Lin, L. S. Yang, and D. R. Zheng, “Effect of simvastatin and Xuezhikang for patients with unstable angina pectoris,” China Medical Herald, vol. 6, no. 23, pp. 58–59, 2009.
- D. Q. Lou, B. Liu, W. G. Yan, X. B. Hu, and Y. Wu, “Effect of Xuezhikang for patients with unstable angina pectoris,” Clinical Medicine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 23–24, 2008.
- W. Ma and Y. X. Teng, “Effect of Xuezhikang for patients with coronary heart disease complicated with hyperlipidemia on endothelial function and C response protein,” Liaoning Yi Yao, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 22–24, 2005.
- B. L. Qi, G. J. Zhang, and X. X. Suo, “Efficiency rate of Xuezhikang for angina pectoris,” Chinese Journal of Primary Medicine and Pharmacy, vol. 8, no. 6, p. 547, 2001.
- X. B. Shang, “Clinical observation of Xuezhikang and atorvastatin for patients with coronary heart disease complicated with dyslipidemia on serum lipid and hemorheology,” Guangxi Medical Journal, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1158–1159, 2007.
- J. Wang and M. Y. Xiao, “Long term effect of Xuezhikang and aspirine for 65 patients with coronary heart disease complicated with hyperlipidemia,” New Medicine, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 596–597, 2000.
- L. Yan and X. M. Li, “Effect of Xuezhikang for aged patients with coronary heart disease complicated with dyslipidemia on serun lipid modification,” Sichuan Medical Journal, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1232–1233, 2007.
- X. D. Yan, “Clinical observation of Xuezhikang for 88 patients with unstable angina pectoris,” Chinese Community Doctors. Comprehensive Edition, vol. 8, no. 15, p. 37, 2006.
- H. Yu, Y. L. Cui, S. Y. Wang, and B. Han, “Effect of Xuezhikang for patients with coronary heart diseae complicated with hyperlipidemia on fibrinolytic function,” Chinese Journal of Coal Industry Medicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 61–62, 2002.
- H. Y. Zhang, “Efficiency of fluvastatin and Xuezhikang for coronary heart disease,” China Practical Medicine, no. 22, pp. 115–116, 2010.
- X. Zhang, “Clinical effect of atorvastatin calcium tablets for coronary heart disease complicated with hyperlipidemia,” Hebei Medical Journal, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 882–883, 2011.
- C. S. Zhou, W. Z. He, R. Liu, K. Pan, and R. J. Liu, “Effect of Xuezhikang for patienrs with acute coronary syndrome on vascular endothelial function,” Chinese Magazine of Clinical Medicinal Professional Research, no. 71, p. 44, 2003.
- M. Xu, “Clinical comparative study on treatment of unstable angina pectoris disease with lipid-reducing hongqu Xuezhikang and atorvastatin,” Shandong University of traditional Chinese Medicine, 2005.
- J. Liu, J. Zhang, Y. Shi, S. Grimsgaard, T. Alraek, and V. Fønnebø, “Chinese red yeast rice (Monascus purpureus) for primary hyperlipidemia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 1, article 4, 2006.
- C. Gong, S. L. Huang, J. F. Huang et al., “Effects of combined therapy of Xuezhikang Capsule and Valsartan on hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy and heart rate turbulence,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 114–118, 2010.
- L. Lu, J. Z. Zhou, L. Wang, and T. X. Zhang, “Effects of Xuezhikang and Pravastatin on circulating endothelial progenitor cells in patients with essential hypertension,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 266–271, 2009.
- X. F. Fan, Y. Q. Deng, L. Ye et al., “Effect of Xuezhikang Capsule on serum tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin-6 in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hyperlipidemia,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 119–123, 2010.
- M. A. Pfeffer, F. M. Sacks, L. A. Moyé et al., “Cholesterol and recurrent events: a secondary prevention trial for normolipidemic patients,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 98C–106C, 1995.
- Z. L. Lu, “Advance in basic and clinical research of Xuezhikang Capsule: a commentary on the Chinese coronary secondary prevention study,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 85–87, 2006.