- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 638197, 7 pages
A Herbal Composition of Semen Hoveniae, Radix Puerariae, and Fructus Schisandrae Shows Potent Protective Effects on Acute Alcoholic Intoxication in Rodent Models
1Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Science, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, China
2Research and Development Center, Jing Brand Co., Ltd., Huangshi 435100, China
3Research Center of Food and Drug Evaluation, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, China
Received 25 March 2012; Revised 10 June 2012; Accepted 17 June 2012
Academic Editor: Khalid Rahman
Copyright © 2012 Jie Xiong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. A. Hunt, “Neuroscience research: how has it contributed to our understanding of alcohol abuse and alcoholism? A review,” Alcoholism, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1055–1065, 1993.
- S. M. Ross, “Integrative therapeutic considerations in alcohol abuse,” Holistic Nursing Practice, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 69–72, 2009.
- H. A. Sindelar, N. P. Barnett, and A. Spirito, “Adolescent alcohol use and injury: a summary and critical review of the literature,” Minerva Pediatrica, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 291–309, 2004.
- B. J. Xu, Y. N. Zheng, and C. K. Sung, “Natural medicines for alcoholism treatment: a review,” Drug and Alcohol Review, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 525–536, 2005.
- H. E. Poulsen, S. Loft, J. R. Andersen, and M. Andersen, “Disulfiram therapy—adverse drug reactions and interactions,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 369, pp. 59–66, 1992.
- E. A. Jones and L. R. C. Dekker, “Florid opioid withdrawal-like reaction precipitated by naltrexone in a patient with chronic cholestasis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 431–432, 2000.
- S. S. O'Malley, S. Krishnan-Sarin, C. Farren, and P. G. O'Connor, “Naltrexone-induced nausea in patients treated for alcohol dependence: clinical predictors and evidence for opioid-mediated effects,” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2000.
- C. Oncken, J. van Kirk, and H. R. Kranzler, “Adverse effects of oral naltrexone: analysis of data from two clinical trials,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 154, no. 4, pp. 397–402, 2001.
- O. Dupuy, F. Flocard, C. Vial, G. Rode, N. Charles, D. Boisson, et al., “,” Revue de Médecine Interne, vol. 16, pp. 67–72, 1995.
- J. Du, D. He, L. N. Sun et al., “Semen Hoveniae extract protects against acute alcohol-induced liver injury in mice,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 953–958, 2010.
- A. Panossian and G. Wikman, “Pharmacology of Schisandra chinensis Bail.: an overview of Russian research and uses in medicine,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 183–212, 2008.
- Y. Goso, Y. Ogata, K. Ishihara, and K. Hotta, “Effects of traditional herbal medicine on gastric mucin against ethanol-induced gastric injury in rats,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 17–21, 1996.
- Z. B. Xiong, P. Wu, and Y. F. Huang, “Protective mechanisms of radix salviae miltiorrhizae against chronic alcoholic liver injury in mice,” Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 425–428, 2005.
- R. C. Lin, S. Guthrie, C. Y. Xie et al., “Isoflavonoid compounds extracted from Pueraria lobata suppress alcohol preference in a pharmacogenetic rat model of alcoholism,” Alcoholism, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 659–663, 1996.
- Q. Xu, Y. X. Wei, Z. N. Tang, L. Q. Gan, and Z. Y. Hunag, “Study on sober-up effect of crystal sugar-vinegar solution,” Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 446–448, 2002.
- Z. Zhang, S. Li, J. Jiang, P. Yu, J. Liang, and Y. Wang, “Preventive effects of Flos Perariae (Gehua) water extract and its active ingredient puerarin in rodent alcoholism models,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 5, article 36, 2010.
- R. Haranaka, N. Okada, H. Kosoto, S. Ohwada, R. Hasegawa, S. Nakagawa, et al., “Effects of wu-ling-san on alcohol metabolism and alcoholic liver,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 5, pp. 171–178, 1985.
- A. Miranda-Mendez, A. Lugo-Baruqui, and J. Armendariz-Borunda, “Molecular basis and current treatment for alcoholic liver disease,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1872–1888, 2010.
- C. S. Lieber, “Alcoholic liver injury: pathogenesis and therapy in 2001,” Pathologie Biologie, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 738–752, 2001.
- Y. Ji, J. Li, and P. Yang, “Effects of fruits of Hovenia dulcis thunb on acute alcohol toxicity in mice,” Zhong Yao Cai, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 126–128, 2001.
- Y. Wang, “Basic knowledge of functional experiment,” in Medical Functional Experimental Tutoria, H. Z. Hu, Ed., chapter 2, Science Press, Beijing, China, 2005.
- J. Yue, G. Dong, C. He, J. Chen, Y. Liu, and R. Peng, “Protective effects of thiopronin against isoniazid-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” Toxicology, vol. 264, no. 3, pp. 185–191, 2009.
- F. Yan, Q. Y. Zhang, L. Jiao et al., “Synergistic hepatoprotective effect of Schisandrae lignans with Astragalus polysaccharides on chronic liver injury in rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 805–813, 2009.
- M. K. Lee, S. Y. Cho, J. Y. Jang et al., “Effects of puerariae flos and puerariae radix extracts on antioxidant enzymes in ethanol-treated rats,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 343–354, 2001.
- J. S. Lee, “Supplementation of Pueraria radix water extract on changes of antioxidant enzymes and lipid profile in ethanol-treated rats,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 347, no. 1-2, pp. 121–128, 2004.
- K. M. Ko, D. H. F. Mak, P. C. Li, M. K. T. Poon, and S. P. Ip, “Enhancement of hepatic glutathione regeneration capacity by a lignan-enriched extract of fructus schisandrae in rats,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 439–442, 1995.
- N. H. G. Holford, “Clinical pharmacokinetics of ethanol,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 273–292, 1987.
- R. E. McGehee, “Characterization of cytochrome P450 2E1 induction in a rat hepatoma FGC-4 cell model by ethanol,” in Biochem Pharmacol, vol. 48, pp. 1823–1833, 1994.
- P. Pronko, L. Bardina, V. Satanovskaya, A. Kuzmich, and S. Zimatkin, “Effect of chronic alcohol consumption on the ethanol- and acetaldehyde-metabolizing systems in the rat gastrointestinal tract,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2002.
- J. I. Beier and C. J. McClain, “Mechanisms and cell signaling in alcoholic liver disease,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 391, no. 11, pp. 1249–1264, 2010.