- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 650809, 11 pages
Effect of Atractylodes macrocephala on Hypertonic Stress-Induced Water Channel Protein Expression in Renal Collecting Duct Cells
1Department of Oriental Medicine and Professional Graduate School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan 570-749, Republic of Korea
2Hanbang Body-Fluid Research Center, Wonkwang University, Iksan 570-749, Republic of Korea
3Professional Graduate School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan 570-749, Republic of Korea
Received 3 August 2012; Revised 15 October 2012; Accepted 15 October 2012
Academic Editor: José Luis Ríos
Copyright © 2012 Yong Pyo Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Klussmann, K. Maric, and W. Rosenthal, “The mechanisms of aquaporin control in the renal collecting duct,” Reviews of Physiology Biochemistry and Pharmacology, vol. 141, pp. 33–95, 2000.
- S. Saad, D. J. Agapiou, X. M. Chen, V. Stevens, and C. A. Pollock, “The role of Sgk-1 in the upregulation of transport proteins by PPAR-γ agonists in human proximal tubule cells,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1130–1141, 2009.
- S. Nielsen, C. L. Chou, D. Marples, E. I. Christensen, B. K. Kishore, and M. A. Knepper, “Vasopressin increases water permeability of kidney collecting duct by inducing translocation of aquaporin-CD water channels to plasma membrane,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 1013–1017, 1995.
- T. H. Kwon, U. H. Laursen, D. Marples et al., “Altered expression of renal AQPs and Na+ transporters in rats with Lithium-induced NDI,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Physiology, vol. 279, no. 3, pp. F552–F564, 2000.
- S. Hozawa, E. J. Holtzman, and D. A. Ausiello, “cAMP motifs regulating transcription in the aquaporin 2 gene,” American Journal of Physiology—Cell Physiology, vol. 270, no. 6, pp. C1695–C1702, 1996.
- A. S. Verkman, “Dissecting the roles of aquaporins in renal pathophysiology using transgenic mice,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 217–226, 2008.
- T. L. Pallone, A. Edwards, T. Ma, E. P. Silldorff, and A. S. Verkman, “Requirement of aquaporin-1 for Nacl-driven water transport across descending vasa recta,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 215–222, 2000.
- L. S. King, M. Choi, P. C. Fernandez, J. P. Cartron, and P. Agre, “Defective urinary concentrating ability due to a complete deficiency of aquaporin-1,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 3, pp. 175–179, 2001.
- K. Takata, T. Matsuzaki, Y. Tajika, A. Ablimit, and T. Hasegawa, “Localization and trafficking of aquaporin 2 in the kidney,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 197–209, 2008.
- T. H. Kwon, J. Nielsen, S. Masilamani et al., “Regulation of collecting duct AQP3 expression: response to mineralocorticoid,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Physiology, vol. 283, no. 6, pp. F1403–F1421, 2002.
- E. Klussmann and W. Rosenthal, “Role and identification of protein kinase A anchoring proteins in vasopressin-mediated aquaporin-2 translocation,” Kidney International, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 446–449, 2001.
- M. I. Rauchman, S. K. Nigam, E. Delpire, and S. R. Gullans, “An osmotically tolerant inner medullary collecting duct cell line from an SV40 transgenic mouse,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Fluid and Electrolyte Physiology, vol. 265, no. 3, pp. F416–F424, 1993.
- F. Umenishi, T. Narikiyo, A. Vandewalle, and R. W. Schrier, “cAMP regulates vasopressin-induced AQP2 expression via protein kinase A-independent pathway,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 8, pp. 1100–1105, 2006.
- U. Hasler, U. S. Jeon, J. A. Kim et al., “Tonicity-responsive enhancer binding protein is an essential regulator of aquaporin-2 expression in renal collecting duct principal cells,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1521–1531, 2006.
- B. S. Huang, J. S. Sun, and Z. L. Chen, “Isolation and identification of atractylenolide Vl from Atractylodes macrocephala Koidz,” Acta Botanica Brasilica, vol. 34, pp. 614–617, 1992.
- Z. L. Chen, “The acetylenes from Atractylodes macrocephala,” Planta Medica, vol. 53, pp. 493–494, 1987.
- C. Q. Li, L. C. He, H. Y. Dong, and J. Q. Jin, “Screening for the anti-inflammatory activity of fractions and compounds from Atractylodes macrocephala koidz,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 212–217, 2007.
- H. L. Huang, C. C. Chen, C. Y. Yeh, and R. L. Huang, “Reactive oxygen species mediation of Baizhu-induced apoptosis in human leukemia cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 21–29, 2005.
- J. Fukuchi, R. A. Hiipakka, J. M. Kokontis et al., “Androgenic suppression of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 expression in LNCaP human prostate cancer cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 21, pp. 7682–7685, 2004.
- N. Mackman, K. Brand, and T. S. Edgington, “Lipopolysaccharide-mediated transcriptional activation of the human tissue factor gene in THP-1 monocytic cells requires both activator protein 1 and nuclear factor κB binding sites,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 1517–1526, 1991.
- S. Z. Kim, S. H. Kim, J. K. Park, G. Y. Koh, and K. W. Cho, “Presence and biological activity of C-type natriuretic peptide-dependent guanylate cyclase-coupled receptor in the penile corpus cavernosum,” Journal of Urology, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 1741–1746, 1998.
- C. B. Ahn, C. H. Song, W. H. Kim, and Y. K. Kim, “Effects of Juglans sinensis Dode extract and antioxidant on mercury chloride-induced acute renal failure in rabbits,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2002.
- H. W. Lee, D. W. Kim, P. B. Phapale et al., “In vitro inhibitory effects of Wen-pi-tang-Hab-Wu-ling-san on human cytochrome P450 isoforms,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 496–503, 2011.
- R. Zhu, Y. P. Chen, Y. Y. Deng et al., “Cordyceps cicadae extracts ameliorate renal malfunction in a remnant kidney model,” Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B, vol. 12, pp. 1024–1033, 2011.
- B. W. M. Van Balkom, M. Van Raak, S. Breton et al., “Hypertonicity is involved in redirecting the aquaporin-2 water channel into the basolateral, instead of the apical, plasma membrane of renal epithelial cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 2, pp. 1101–1107, 2003.
- U. Hasler, “Controlled aquaporin-2 expression in the hypertonic environment,” American Journal of Physiology—Cell Physiology, vol. 296, no. 4, pp. C641–C653, 2009.
- N. Fujita, S. E. Ishikawa, S. Sasaki et al., “Role of water channel AQP-CD in water retention in SIADH and cirrhotic rats,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Fluid and Electrolyte Physiology, vol. 269, no. 6, pp. F926–F931, 1995.
- S. Combet, S. Gouraud, R. Gobin et al., “Aquaporin-2 downregulation in kidney medulla of aging rats is posttranscriptional and is abolished by water deprivation,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Physiology, vol. 294, no. 6, pp. F1408–F1414, 2008.
- S. Nielsen, J. Frøkiær, D. Marples, T. H. Kwon, P. Agre, and M. A. Knepper, “Aquaporins in the kidney: from molecules to medicine,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 205–244, 2002.
- J. A. Breyer, R. P. Bain, J. K. Evans et al., “Predictors of the progression of renal insufficiency in patients with insulin-dependent diabetes and overt diabetic nephropathy,” Kidney International, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1651–1658, 1996.
- C. Li, W. Wang, S. N. Summer, S. Falk, and R. W. Schrier, “Downregulation of UT-A1/UT-A3 is associated with urinary concentrating defect in glucocorticoid-excess state,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1975–1981, 2008.
- Y. Nakayama, T. Peng, J. M. Sands, and S. M. Bagnasco, “The TonE/TonEBP pathway mediates tonicity-responsive regulation of UT-A urea transporter expression,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 49, pp. 38275–38280, 2000.
- C. López-Rodríguez, C. L. Antos, J. M. Shelton et al., “Loss of NFAT5 results in renal atrophy and lack of tonicity-responsive gene expression,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2392–2397, 2004.
- S. M. Lee, Y. J. Lee, J. J. Yoon, D. G. Kang, and H. S. Lee, “Effect of Poria cocos on hypertonic stress-induced water channel expression and apoptosis in renal collecting duct cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 141, pp. 368–376, 2012.
- J. D. Ferraris, P. Persaud, C. K. Williams, Y. Chen, and M. B. Burg, “cAMP-independent role of PKA in tonicity-induced transactivation of tonicity-responsive enhancer/osmotic response element-binding protein,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 26, pp. 16800–16805, 2002.
- P. Ginés, T. Berl, M. Bernardi et al., “Hyponatremia in cirrhosis: from pathogenesis to treatment,” Hepatology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 851–864, 1998.