- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 656150, 11 pages
Guizhi-Fuling-Wan, a Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine, Ameliorates Memory Deficits and Neuronal Apoptosis in the Streptozotocin-Induced Hyperglycemic Rodents via the Decrease of Bax/Bcl2 Ratio and Caspase-3 Expression
1Department of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences and Chinese Medicine Resources, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
2Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
3Department of Pharmacy, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40421, Taiwan
4Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota and Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Received 14 July 2012; Revised 24 September 2012; Accepted 8 October 2012
Academic Editor: Shuang-En Chuang
Copyright © 2012 Kuo-Jen Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. A. F. Sima, H. Kamiya, and Z. G. Li, “Insulin, C-peptide, hyperglycemia, and central nervous system complications in diabetes,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 490, no. 1–3, pp. 187–197, 2004.
- Z. G. Li, W. Zhang, G. Grunberger, and A. A. F. Sima, “Hippocampal neuronal apoptosis in type 1 diabetes,” Brain Research, vol. 946, no. 2, pp. 221–231, 2002.
- S. M. Zola-Morgan and L. R. Squire, “The primate hippocampal formation: evidence for a time-limited role in memory storage,” Science, vol. 250, no. 4978, pp. 288–290, 1990.
- S. M. Courtney, L. Petit, J. M. Maisog, L. G. Ungerleider, and J. V. Haxby, “An area specialized for spatial working memory in human frontal cortex,” Science, vol. 279, no. 5355, pp. 1347–1351, 1998.
- Z. A. Ma, Z. Zhao, and J. Turk, “Mitochondrial dysfunction and beta-cell failure in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 703538, 11 pages, 2012.
- A. Baraka and H. Abdelgawad, “Targeting apoptosis in the heart of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 175–181, 2010.
- P. C. Waldmeier and W. G. Tatton, “Interrupting apoptosis in neurodegenerative disease: potential for effective therapy?” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 210–218, 2004.
- A. H. Wyllie, “Apoptosis: an overview,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 451–465, 1997.
- D. R. Green and J. C. Reed, “Mitochondria and apoptosis,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5381, pp. 1309–1312, 1998.
- I. Jafari Anarkooli, M. Sankian, S. Ahmadpour, A. R. Varasteh, and H. Haghir, “Evaluation of Bcl-2 family gene expression and Caspase-3 activity in hippocampus STZ-induced diabetic rats,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2008, Article ID 638467, 6 pages, 2008.
- X. Ji, J. Gao, X. Cai et al., “Immunological regulation of Chinese herb Guizhi Fuling Capsule on rat endometriosis model,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 624–629, 2011.
- Z. Yao and Z. Shulan, “Inhibition effect of Guizhi-Fuling-decoction on the invasion of human cervical cancer,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2008.
- Y. Shimada, K. Yokoyama, H. Goto et al., “Protective effect of Keishi-bukuryo-gan and its constituent medicinal plants against nitric oxide donor-induced neuronal death in cultured cerebellar granule cells,” Phytomedicine, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 404–410, 2004.
- H.-Y. Ju, S. C. Chen, K.-J. Wu et al., “Antioxidant phenolic profile from ethyl acetate fraction of Fructus Ligustri Lucidi with protection against hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative damage in SH-SY5Y cells,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 492–502, 2012.
- K. K. Wu and Y. Huan, “Streptozotocin-induced diabetic models in mice and rats,” Current Protocols in Pharmacology, supplement 40, pp. 5.47.1–5.47.14, 2008.
- R. Morris, “Developments of a water-maze procedure for studying spatial learning in the rat,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 47–60, 1984.
- K. J. Wu, M. T. Hsieh, C. R. Wu, W. G. Wood, and Y. F. Chen, “Green tea extract ameliorates learning and memory deficits in ischemic rats via its active component polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate by modulation of oxidative stress and neuroinflammation,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 163106, 11 pages, 2012.
- T. Nakagawa, T. Yokozawa, K. Terasawa, and K. Nakanishi, “Therapeutic usefulness of Keishi-bukuryo-gan for diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 219–227, 2003.
- H. Goto, Y. Shimada, N. Sekiya et al., “Effects of Keishi-bukuryo-gan on vascular function and hemorheological factors in spontaneously diabetic (WBN/kob) rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 11, no. 2-3, pp. 188–195, 2004.
- D. L. Brody and D. M. Holtzman, “Morris water maze search strategy analysis in PDAPP mice before and after experimental traumatic brain injury,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 330–340, 2006.
- C. R. Wu, L. W. Lin, C. L. Hsieh, W. H. Wang, Y. T. Lin, and M. T. Hsieh, “Petroleum ether extract of Cnidium monnieri ameliorated scopolamine-induced amnesia through adrenal gland-mediated mechanism in male rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 403–407, 2008.
- G. J. Biessels, A. Kamal, I. J. A. Urban, B. M. Spruijt, D. W. Erkelens, and W. H. Gispen, “Water maze learning and hippocampal synaptic plasticity in streptozotocin-diabetic rats: effects of insulin treatment,” Brain Research, vol. 800, no. 1, pp. 125–135, 1998.
- Y. Revsin, N. V. Rekers, M. C. Louwe et al., “Glucocorticoid receptor blockade normalizes hippocampal alterations and cognitive impairment in streptozotocin-induced type 1 diabetes mice,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 747–758, 2009.
- S. Brecht, M. Gelderblom, A. Srinivasan, K. Mielke, G. Dityateva, and T. Herdegen, “Caspase-3 activation and DNA fragmentation in primary hippocampal neurons following glutamate excitotoxicity,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 94, no. 1-2, pp. 25–34, 2001.
- D. R. Green, “Apoptotic pathways: paper wraps stone blunts scissors,” Cell, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2000.
- Z. G. Li, M. Britton, A. A. F. Sima, and J. C. Dunbar, “Diabetes enhances apoptosis induced by cerebral ischemia,” Life Sciences, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 249–262, 2004.
- M. O. Hengartner, “The biochemistry of apoptosis,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6805, pp. 770–776, 2000.