- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 673132, 7 pages
Effects of Berberine and Hwangryunhaedok-Tang on Oral Bioavailability and Pharmacokinetics of Ciprofloxacin in Rats
1KM-Based Herbal Drug Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
2Laboratory of Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University, Republic of Korea
Received 31 July 2012; Revised 25 September 2012; Accepted 26 September 2012
Academic Editor: Bhushan Patwardhan
Copyright © 2012 Youn-Hwan Hwang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Lu, J. Song, F. Huang et al., “Comparative pharmacokinetics of baicalin after oral administration of pure baicalin, Radix scutellariae extract and Huang-Lian-Jie-Du-Tang to rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 412–418, 2007.
- Y. S. Hwang, C. Y. Shin, Y. Huh, and J. H. Ryu, “Hwangryun-Hae-Dok-tang (Huanglian-Jie-Du-Tang) extract and its constituents reduce ischemia-reperfusion brain injury and neutrophil infiltration in rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 71, no. 18, pp. 2105–2117, 2002.
- A. Singh, S. Duggal, N. Kaur, et al., “Berberine: alkaloid with wide spectrum of pharmacological activities,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 3, pp. 64–75, 2010.
- H. Xu, T. Zhang, X. Zhu, et al., “Recent advance on chemical compositions and pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic studies of Rhizoma Coptidis,” Asian Journal of Pharmacodynamics and Pharmacokinetics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 11–25, 2009.
- N. K. Dutta, P. H. Marker, and N. R. Rao, “Berberine in toxin-induced experimental cholera,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 153–159, 1972.
- K. A. Head, “Natural approaches to prevention and treatment of infections of the lower urinary tract,” Alternative Medicine Review, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 227–244, 2008.
- H. S. Abou-Auda, A. A. Mustafa, and M. S. Al-Humayyd, “Pharmacokinetic interaction of ketoconazole and itraconazole with ciprofloxacin,” Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2008.
- M. Stavri, L. J. V. Piddock, and S. Gibbons, “Bacterial efflux pump inhibitors from natural sources,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1247–1260, 2007.
- P. Jayaraman, M. K. Sakharkar, C. S. Lim, T. H. Tang, and K. R. Sakharkar, “Activity and interactions of antibiotic and phytochemical combinations against pseudomonas aeruginosa in vitro,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 556–568, 2010.
- C. Seral, S. Carryn, P. M. Tulkens, and F. Van Bambeke, “Influence of P-glycoprotein and MRP effux pump inhibitors on the intracellular activity of azithromycin and ciprofloxacin in macrophages infected by Listeria monocytogenes or Staphylococcus aureus,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1167–1173, 2003.
- W. Qiu, X. H. Jiang, C. X. Liu, Y. Ju, and J. X. Jin, “Effect of berberine on the pharmacokinetics of substrates of CYP3A and P-gp,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1553–1558, 2009.
- X. Zhang, F. Qiu, J. Jiang, C. Gao, and Y. Tan, “Intestinal absorption mechanisms of berberine, palmatine, jateorhizine, and coptisine: involvement of P-glycoprotein,” Xenobiotica, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 290–296, 2011.
- H. J. Yang, J. B. Weon, and J. Y. Ma, “Simultaneous analysis of three maker components in Hwangryunhaedok-tang by HPLC-DAD,” Yakhak Hoeji, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 64–68, 2011.
- Y. H. Hwang, T. Kim, W. K. Cho, et al., “Food- and gender-dependent pharmacokinetics of paeoniflorin after oral administration with Samul-tang in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 161–167, 2012.
- Z. Hu, X. Yang, P. C. L. Ho et al., “Herb-drug interactions: a literature review,” Drugs, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1239–1282, 2005.
- J. M. Cott, “Herb-drug interactions: focus on pharmacokinetics,” CNS Spectrums, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 827–832, 2001.
- R. L. Nahin, J. M. Dahlhamer, and B. J. Stussman, “Health need and the use of alternative medicine among adults who do not use conventional medicine,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 10, article 220, 2010.
- P. R. Vuddanda, S. Chakraborty, and S. Singh, “Berberine: a potential phytochemical with multispectrum therapeutic activities,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1297–1307, 2010.
- J. Yin, H. Xing, and J. Ye, “Efficacy of berberine in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 712–717, 2008.
- EMEA, “Guideline on bioanalytical method validation,” European Medicines Agency, Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use EMEA/CHMP/EW/192217/2009, 2011.
- B. Nouaille-Degorce, C. Veau, S. Dautrey et al., “Influence of renal failure on ciprofloxacin pharmacokinetics in rats,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 289–292, 1998.
- P. Joyanes, A. Pascual, M. J. Giménez, I. García, L. Aguilar, and E. Perea, “Differences between two new quinolones (gemifloxacin and trovafloxacin) and ciprofloxacin in their concentration-dependent killing of Streptococcus pneumoniae,” Chemotherapy, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 409–414, 2001.
- C. E. Thorburn and D. I. Edwards, “The effect of pharmacokinetics on the bactericidal activity of ciprofloxacin and sparfloxacin against Streptococcus pneumoniae and the emergence of resistance,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2001.
- E. Szałek, A. Kamińska, J. Gozdzik-Spychalska, E. Grześkowiak, and H. Batura-Gabryel, “The PK/PD index (CMAX/MIC) for ciprofloxacin in patients with cystic fibrosis,” Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 777–783, 2011.
- M. E. Cavet, M. West, and N. L. Simmons, “Fluoroquinolone (ciprofloxacin) secretion by human intestinal epithelial (Caco-2) cells,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 121, no. 8, pp. 1567–1578, 1997.
- M. S. Park, H. Okochi, and L. Z. Benet, “Is ciprofloxacin a substrate of P-glycoprotein?” Archives of Drug Information, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2011.
- S. Dautrey, K. Felice, A. Petiet, B. Lacour, C. Carbon, and R. Farinotti, “Active intestinal elimination of ciprofloxacin in rats: modulation by different substrates,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 127, no. 7, pp. 1728–1734, 1999.
- S. Žakelj, K. Šturm, and A. Kristl, “Ciprofloxacin permeability and its active secretion through rat small intestine in vitro,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 313, no. 1-2, pp. 175–180, 2006.
- N. Shitan, M. Tanaka, K. Terai, K. Ueda, and K. Yazaki, “Human MDR1 and MRP1 recognize berberine as their transport substrate,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 242–245, 2007.
- T. Efferth, M. Davey, A. Olbrich, G. Rücker, E. Gebhart, and R. Davey, “Activity of drugs from traditional chinese medicine toward sensitive and MDR1- or MRP1-overexpressing multidrug-resistant human CCRF-CEM leukemia cells,” Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 160–168, 2002.
- H. Suzuki, H. Tanabe, H. Mizukami, and M. Inoue, “Selective regulation of multidrug resistance protein in vascular smooth muscle cells by the isoquinoline alkaloid coptisine,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 677–682, 2010.
- I. I. Severina, M. S. Muntyan, K. Lewis, and V. P. Skulachev, “Transfer of cationic antibacterial agents berberine, palmatine, and benzalkonium through bimolecular planar phospholipid film and Staphylococcus aureus membrane,” IUBMB Life, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 321–324, 2002.
- F. R. Stermitz, P. Lorenz, J. N. Tawara, L. A. Zenewicz, and K. Lewis, “Synergy in a medicinal plant: antimicrobial action of berberine potentiated by 5′-methoxyhydnocarpin, a multidrug pump inhibitor,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1433–1437, 2000.
- H. L. Lin, T. Y. Liu, W. Y. Lui, et al., “Up-regulation of multidrug resistance transporter expression by berberine in human and murine hepatoma cells,” Cancer, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 1937–1942, 1999.
- H. J. Maeng, H. J. Yoo, I. W. Kim, I. S. Song, S. J. Chung, and C. K. Shim, “P-glycoprotein-mediated transport of berberine across Caco-2 cell monolayers,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 2614–2621, 2002.
- H. L. Lin, T. Y. Liu, C. W. Wu, and C. W. Chi, “Berberine modulates expression of mdr1 gene product and the responses of digestive track cancer cells to Paclitaxel,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 416–422, 1999.
- J. P. Fillastre, A. Leroy, B. Moulin, M. Dhib, F. Borsa-Lebas, and G. Humbert, “Pharmacokinetics of quinolones in renal insufficiency,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 26, supplement B, pp. 51–60, 1990.
- Y. Guo, Y. Chen, Z.-R. Tan, C. D. Klaassen, and H.-H. Zhou, “Repeated administration of berberine inhibits cytochromes P450 in humans,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 213–217, 2012.
- F. Zuo, N. Nakamura, T. Akao, and M. Hattori, “Pharmacokinetics of berberine and its main metabolites in conventional and pseudo germ-free rats determined by liquid chromatography/ion trap mass spectrometry,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 2064–2072, 2006.
- S. Yu, H. Zhang, F. PanJun, et al., “Determination and preliminary studies of metabolism of berberine in human urine after oral administration,” Chinese Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 16, pp. 36–39, 2000.
- P. L. Tsai and T. H. Tsai, “Hepatobiliary excretion of berberine,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 405–412, 2004.
- S. S. Xie, N. Hu, X. Y. Jing et al., “Effect of Huang-Lian-Jie-Du-Decoction on pharmacokinetics of verapamil in rats,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 440–447, 2010.
- M. Y. Lai, S. L. Hsiu, Y. C. Hou, S. Y. Tsai, and P. D. L. Chao, “Significant decrease of cyclosporine bioavailability in rats caused by a decoction of the roots of Scutellaria baicalensis,” Planta Medica, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 132–137, 2004.
- L. Fan, W. Zhang, D. Guo et al., “The effect of herbal medicine baicalin on pharmacokinetics of rosuvastatin, substrate of organic anion-transporting polypeptide 1B1,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 471–476, 2008.
- C. Li, M. Kim, H. Choi, and J. Choi, “Effects of baicalein on the pharmacokinetics of tamoxifen and its main metabolite, 4-hydroxytamoxifen, in rats: possible role of cytochrome p450 3A4 and P-glycoprotein inhibition by baicalein,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1965–1972, 2011.