- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 705167, 9 pages
Effect of Alpinia katsumadai Hayata on House Dust Mite-Induced Atopic Dermatitis in NC/Nga Mice
1Basic Herbal Medicine Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
2Constitutional Medicine & Diagnosis Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
3Department of Medical Supplies Development, Hanpoong Pharm & Food Co. Ltd., Jeonju 561-841, Republic of Korea
Received 26 June 2012; Revised 31 August 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editor: Yoshiyuki Kimura
Copyright © 2012 Hye-Sun Lim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. N. W. N. Barker, C. N. A. Palmer, Y. Zhao et al., “Null mutations in the filaggrin gene (FLG) determine major susceptibility to early-onset atopic dermatitis that persists into adulthood,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 564–567, 2007.
- S. Pugliarello, A. Cozzi, P. Gisondi, and G. Girolomoni, “Phenotypes of atopic dermatitis,” Journal of the German Society of Dermatology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 2011.
- W. Cookson, “The immunogenetics of asthma and eczema: a new focus on the epithelium,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 978–988, 2004.
- D. Rudikoff and M. Lebwohl, “Atopic dermatitis,” The Lancet, vol. 351, no. 9117, pp. 1715–1721, 1998.
- K. Breuer, T. Werfel, and A. Kapp, “Allergic manifestations of skin diseases—atopic dermatitis,” Chemical Immunology and Allergy, vol. 91, pp. 76–86, 2006.
- H. P. Van Bever, “Recent advances in the pathogenesis of atopic dermatitis,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 151, no. 12, pp. 870–873, 1992.
- T. Shiohara, J. Hayakawa, and Y. Mizukawa, “Animal models for atopic dermatitis: are they relevant to human disease?” Journal of Dermatological Science, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2004.
- J. K. Lee, H. Ha, H. Y. Lee et al., “Inhibitory effects of heartwood extracts of broussonetia kazinoki sieb on the development of atopic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 1802–1806, 2010.
- J. M. Hanifin, M. Thurston, M. Omoto, R. Cherill, S. J. Tofte, and M. Graeber, “The eczema area and severity index (EASI): assessment of reliability in atopic dermatitis,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2001.
- K. G. Xiu, K. Fuseda, T. Shibata, H. Tanaka, N. Inagaki, and H. Nagai, “Kampo medicines for mite antigen-induced allergic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 191–199, 2005.
- H. Y. Lee, H. K. Ha, J. K. Lee, et al., “The fruits of Cudrania tricuspidata suppress development of atopic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice,” Phytotheraphy Research, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 594–599, 2011.
- M. Y. Lee, N. H. Lee, C. S. Seo et al., “Alpinia katsumadai seed extract attenuate oxidative stress and asthmatic activity in a mouse model of allergic asthma,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1746–1752, 2010.
- S. E. Lee, H. T. Shin, H. J. Hwang, and J. H. Kim, “Antioxidant activity of extracts from Alpinia katsumadai seed,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1041–1047, 2003.
- J. Yang, Y. Dai, Y. F. Xia, W. Z. Huang, and Z. T. Wang, “Alpinia katsumadai hayata prevents mouse sepsis induced by cecal ligation and puncture through promoting bacterial clearance and downregulating systemic inflammation,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 267–273, 2009.
- L. Liu, X. Chen, and Z. Hu, “Separation and determination of alpinetin and cardamonin in Alpinia katsumadai Hayata by flow injection-micellar electrokinetic chromatography,” Talanta, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 2007.
- S. Moncada, R. M. J. Palmer, and E. A. Higgs, “Nitric oxide: physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 109–142, 1991.
- J. A. Mitchell, S. Larkin, and T. J. Williams, “Cyclooxygenase-2: regulation and relevance in inflammation,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 1535–1542, 1995.
- T. Oshio, Y. Sasaki, M. Funakoshi-Tago et al., “Dermatophagoides farinae extract induces severe atopic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice, which is effectively suppressed by the administration of tacrolimus ointment,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 403–411, 2009.
- G. Sandoval-López and L. M. Teran, “TARC: novel mediator of allergic inflammation,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1809–1812, 2001.
- S. Kawasaki, H. Takizawa, H. Yoneyama et al., “Intervention of thymus and activation-regulated chemokine attenuates the development of allergic airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness in mice,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 2055–2062, 2001.
- D. Y. M. Leung and T. Bieber, “Atopic dermatitis,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9352, pp. 151–160, 2003.
- H. Matsuda, N. Watanabe, G. P. Geba et al., “Development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesion with IgE hyperproduction in NC/Nga mice,” International Immunology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 461–466, 1997.
- D. Y. M. Leung, “Atopic dermatitis: new insights and opportunities for therapeutic intervention,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 860–876, 2000.
- M. W. Greaves and P. D. Wall, “Pathophysiology of itching,” The Lancet, vol. 348, no. 9032, pp. 938–940, 1996.
- M. Y. Lee, C. S. Seo, J. A. Lee et al., “Alpinia katsumadai HAYATA seed extract inhibit LPS-induced inflammation by induction of heme oxygenase-1 in RAW264.7 cells,” Inflammation, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 746–757, 2012.
- W. He, Y. Li, J. Tang, F. Luan, J. Jin, and Z. Hu, “Comparison of the characterization on binding of alpinetin and cardamonin to lysozyme by spectroscopic methods,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 39, no. 4-5, pp. 165–173, 2006.
- V. R. Yadav, S. Prasad, B. Sung, and B. B. Aggarwal, “The role of chalcones in suppression of NF-κB-mediated inflammation and cancer,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 295–309, 2011.
- J. Tang, N. Li, H. Dai, and K. Wang, “Chemical constituents from seeds of Aplinia katsumadai, inhibition on NF-κB activation and anti-tumor effect,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 35, no. 13, pp. 1710–1714, 2010.
- S. Wang, L. Zhou, W. He, and Z. Hu, “Separation and determination of alpinetin and cardamonin by reverse micelle electrokinetic capillary chromatography,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1557–1561, 2007.