- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 706249, 9 pages
Predictive Value of Auricular Diagnosis on Coronary Heart Disease
1School of Nursing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong
2Ruttonjee Hospital and Tang Shiu Kin Hospital, Hong Kong
3Caritas Medical Centre, Hong Kong
4Grantham Hospital, Hong Kong
5Division of Nursing and Midwifery, School of Health Sciences, RMIT University, Australia
Received 23 July 2012; Revised 15 October 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editor: Hong Q. Zhang
Copyright © 2012 Lorna Kwai-Ping Suen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. X. Feng, X. H. Bai, and Y. Du, Chinese Auricular Therapy, Scientific and Technical Documents Publishing House, Beijing, China, Chinese-English edition, 1994.
- S. Abbate, Chinese Auricular Acupuncture, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2004.
- T. Oleson, Auriculotherapy Manual, Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2003.
- S. T. Frank, “Aural sign of coronary-artery disease,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 289, no. 6, pp. 327–328, 1973.
- W. J. Elliott and T. Karrison, “Increased all-cause and cardiac morbidity and mortality associated with the diagonal earlobe crease: a prospective cohort study,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 1991.
- B. Tranchesi, V. Barbosa, C. P. De Albuquerque et al., “Diagonal earlobe crease as a marker of the presence and extent of coronary atherosclerosis,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 70, no. 18, pp. 1417–1420, 1992.
- M. Kuri, Y. Hayashi, K. Kagawa, K. Takada, T. Kamibayashi, and T. Mashimo, “Evaluation of diagonal earlobe crease as a marker of coronary artery disease: the use of this sign in pre-operative assessment,” Anaesthesia, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 1160–1162, 2001.
- H. Evrengül, D. Dursunoĝlu, A. Kaftan et al., “Bilateral diagonal earlobe crease and coronary artery disease: a significant association,” Dermatology, vol. 209, no. 4, pp. 271–275, 2004.
- E. Edston, “The earlobe crease, coronary artery disease, and sudden cardiac death: an autopsy study of 520 individuals,” American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 129–133, 2006.
- V. Patel, C. Champ, P. S. Andrews, B. E. Gostelow, N. P. Gunasekara, and A. R. Davidson, “Diagonal earlobe creases and atheromatous disease: a postmortem study,” Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of London, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 274–277, 1992.
- H. A. Miot, L. M. De Medeiros, C. R. S. De Siqueira et al., “Association between coronary artery disease and the diagonal earlobe and preauricular creases in men,” Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 2006.
- Verbal communication with Dr. S.K.Chu, registered TCM practitioner of HKSAR, 2009.
- L. C. Huang, Auricular Diagnosis with Color Photos, Longevity Press, Bellaire, Tex, USA, 1999.
- T. D. Oleson, R. J. Kroening, and D. E. Bresler, “An experimental evaluation of auricular diagnosis: the somatotopic mapping of musculoskeletal pain at ear acupuncture points,” Pain, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 217–229, 1980.
- Centre for Health Protection, “Heart disease,” 2012, http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/content/9/25/57.html.
- S. Kaukola, V. Manninen, M. Valle, and P. I. Halonen, “Ear-lobe crease and coronary atherosclerosis,” Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8156, p. 1377, 1979.
- L. G. Portney and M. P. Watkins, Foundations of Clinical Research: Applications to Practice, Appleton & Lange, Norwalk, Conn, USA, 2000.
- J. S. Christiansen, B. Mathiesen, A. R. Andersen, and H. Calberg, “Letter: diagonal ear-lobe crease in coronary heart disease,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 293, no. 6, pp. 308–309, 1975.
- W. J. Elliott, “Ear lobe crease and coronary artery disease,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1024–1032, 1983.
- N. Toyosaki, M. Tsuchiya, T. Hashimoto et al., “Earlobe crease and coronary heart disease in Japanese,” Heart and Vessels, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 161–165, 1986.
- E. Lichstein, K. D. Chadda, D. Naik, and P. K. Gupta, “Diagonal ear-lobe crease: prevalence and implications as a coronary risk factor,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 290, no. 11, pp. 615–616, 1974.
- A. N. Ischenko, V. P. Kozlova, and P. P. Shev’yev, “Auricular diagnostics used in the system of screening surveys,” Medical Progress Through Technology, vol. 17, pp. 29–32, 1991.
- T. O. Cheng, “Diagonal earlobe creases,” Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of London, vol. 26, no. 4, p. 460, 1992.
- T. O. Cheng, “More research needed on the association between diagonal earlobe crease and coronary artery disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 160, no. 15, pp. 2396–2397, 2000.
- W. L. Zhu and C. J. Zhang, “Study on the relationship between ear lobe crease and coronary artery imaging in male patients with coronary heart disease,” Modern Preventive Medicine, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1553–1555, 2012 (Chinese).
- Y. Y. Zheng, C. J. Zhang, and H. E. Zhang, “The relationship between the ear lobe crease and coronary artery in aging in female patients with coronary heart disease,” Chinese Journal of Intewventional Cardiology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 150–153, 2011 (Chinese).
- H. Shmilovich, V. Y. Cheng, R. Rajani et al., et al., “Relation of diagnonal ear lobe crease to the presence, extent, and severity of coronary artery disease determined by coronary computed tomography angiography,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 109, pp. 1283–1287.
- J. Mehta and R. I. Hamby, “Letter: diagonal ear-lobe crease as a coronary risk factor,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 291, no. 5, p. 260, 1974.
- T. Overfield and E. B. Call, “Earlobe type, race, and age: effects on earlobe creasing,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 479–481, 1983.
- P. M. Brady, M. A. Zive, and R. J. Goldberg, “A new wrinkle to the earlobe crease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 65–66, 1987.
- A. Pasternac and M. Sami, “Predictive value of the ear-crease sign in coronary artery disease,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 645–649, 1982.
- D. Moraes, P. McCormack, J. Tyrrell, and J. Feely, “Ear lobe crease and coronary heart disease,” Irish Medical Journal, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 131–132, 1992.
- Y. Shoenfeld, R. Mor, and A. Weinberger, “Diagonal ear lobe crease and coronary risk factors,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 184–187, 1980.
- N. Kirkham, T. Murrells, D. H. Melcher, and E. A. Morrison, “Diagonal earlobe creases and fatal cardiovascular disease: a necropsy study,” British Heart Journal, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 361–364, 1989.
- W. J. Elliott and L. H. Powell, “Diagonal earlobe creases and prognosis in patients with suspected coronary artery disease,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 205–211, 1996.
- Ş. Çelik, T. Erdoǧan, Ö. Gedikli, A. Kiriş, and C. Erem, “Diagonal ear-lobe crease is associated with carotid intima-media thickness in subjects free of clinical cardiovascular disease,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 428–431, 2007.
- S. K. Verma, R. Khamesra, L. K. Mehta, and A. Bordia, “Ear-lobe crease and ear-canal hair as predictors of coronary artery disease in Indian population,” Indian Heart Journal, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 86–91, 1989.
- L. Wang, Auricular Acupuncture—Diagnostic Therapy, Science and Technology, Beijing, China, 2000.
- T. I. Usichenko, V. P. Lysenyuk, M. H. Groth, and D. Pavlovic, “Detection of ear acupuncture points by measuring the electrical skin resistance in patients before, during and after orthopedic surgery performed under general anesthesia,” Acupuncture and Electro-Therapeutics Research, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 167–173, 2003.
- L. R. Yuan, “A brief introduction to ear diagnosis,” The European Journal of Oriental Medicine, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 34–37, 1997.
- T. Oleson, “Electrophysiological research on the differential localization of auricular acupuncture points,” Medical Acupuncture, vol. 11, no. 2, 1999.