- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 716459, 7 pages
Tanshinone IIA: A Promising Natural Cardioprotective Agent
1Graduate School, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100029, China
2National Integrative Medicine Center for Cardiovascular Diseases, China-Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing 100029, China
3Cardiovascular Center, Xiyuan Hospital, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100091, China
Received 7 October 2011; Accepted 3 November 2011
Academic Editor: Keji Chen
Copyright © 2012 Qinghua Shang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Xu and K. J. Chen, “Integrating traditional medicine with biomedicine towards a patient-centered healthcare system,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 83–84, 2011.
- S. P. Balasubramani, P. Venkatasubramanian, S. K. Kukkupuni, and B. Patwardhan, “Plant-based Rasayana drugs from Ayurveda,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 88–94, 2011.
- J. T. Cheng, P. Chan, I. M. Liu, Y. X. Li, and W. J. Yu, “Antihypertension induced by tanshinone II A isolated from the roots of salvia miltiorrhiza,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 392627, 2011.
- G. B. Wu, E. X. Zhou, and D. X. Qing, “Tanshinone IIA elicited vasodilation in rat coronary arteriole: roles of nitric oxide and potassium channels,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 617, no. 1–3, pp. 102–107, 2009.
- D. D. Kim, F. A. Sánchez, R. G. Durán, T. Kanetaka, and W. N. Durán, “Endothelial nitric oxide synthase is a molecular vascular target for the Chinese herb Danshen in hypertension,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 5, pp. H2131–H2137, 2007.
- Y. S. Li, Z. H. Wang, and J. Wang, “Effect of tanshinone IIA on angiotensin receptor in hypertrophic myocardium of rats with pressure over-loading,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 632–636, 2008.
- Y. S. Li, L. Yan, and Y. Q. Yong, “Effect of Tanshinone IIA on the transforming growth factor beta1/Smads signal pathway in rats with hypertensive myocardial hypertrophy,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 30, no. 5, p. 499, 2010.
- L. Yang, X. J. Zou, X. Gao et al., “Sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate attenuates angiotensin II-induced collagen type I expression in cardiac fibroblasts in vitro,” Experimental and Molecular Medicine, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 508–516, 2009.
- J. Fang, S. W. Xu, P. Wang et al., “Tanshinone II-A attenuates cardiac fibrosis and modulates collagen metabolism in rats with renovascular hypertension,” Phytomedicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 2010.
- J. Feng and Z. Zheng, “Effect of sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate on cardiac myocyte hypertrophy and its underlying mechanism,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 197–201, 2008.
- D. Zhou, Q. Liang, X. He, and C. Zhan, “Changes of c-fos and c-jun mRNA expression in angiotensin II-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy and effects of sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate,” Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 531–534, 2008.
- K. Takanashi, X. Ouyang, K. Komatsu, et al., “Sodium Tanshinone II A Sulfonate derived from Danshen (Salvia Miltiorrhiaza) attenuates hypertrophy induced by angiotension II in cultured neonatal rat cardiac cells,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 745–749, 2002.
- E. Y. Tu, Y. G. Zhou, Z. H. Wang, Q. S. Liang, and G. T. Yang, “Effects of tanshinone II A on the myocardial hypertrophy signal transduction system protein kinase B in rats,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 365–370, 2009.
- S. S. Li, J. Feng, Z. Zheng, and Q. S. Liang, “Effect of sodium tanshinone II A sulfonate on phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 in Angiotensin II -induced hypertrophy of myocardial cells,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 123–127, 2008.
- L. Yang, X. Zou, Q. Liang et al., “Sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate depresses angiotensin II-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy through MEK/ERK pathway,” Experimental and Molecular Medicine, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 65–73, 2007.
- H. S. Chen, Y. C. Chen, and Z. Zeng, “Effect of Tanshinone IIA on vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation in post-injury artery: status and trend,” West China Medical Journal, vol. 18, no. 4, p. 602, 2003.
- X. Li, J. R. Du, Y. Yu, B. Bai, and X. Y. Zheng, “Tanshinone IIA inhibits smooth muscle proliferation and intimal hyperplasia in the rat carotid balloon-injured model through inhibition of MAPK signaling pathway,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 273–279, 2010.
- X. Li, J. R. Du, B. Bai, et al., “Inhibitory effects and mechanism of Tanshinone IIA on proliferation of rat aortic smooth muscle cells,” China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 33, no. 17, pp. 2146–2150, 2008.
- J. R. Du, “Effect of Tanshinone IIA on proliferation of cultured human smooth muscle cells,” West China Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 1999.
- H. H. Zhang, Y. C. Chen, L. Liang, and Z. Zeng, “Tanshinone IIA inhibits in vitro cellular proliferation and migration of vascular smooth muscle cell of rabbit,” Journal of Sichuan University, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 188–192, 2008.
- H. Wang, X. Gao, and B. Zhang, “Tanshinone: an inhibitor of proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2005.
- Y. J. Pan, X. Y. Li, and G. T. Yang, “Effect of tanshinone II A on the calcineurin activity in proliferating vascular smooth muscle cells of rats,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 133–135, 2009.
- U. H. Jin, S. J. Suh, W. C. Hyen et al., “Tanshinone IIA from Salvia miltiorrhiza BUNGE inhibits human aortic smooth muscle cell migration and MMP-9 activity through AKT signaling pathway,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 2008.
- Y. S. Li, Q. S. Liang, and J. Wang, “Effect of tanshinone II A on angiotensin II induced nitric oxide production and endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene expression in cultured porcine aortic endothelial cells,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 637–639, 2007.
- K. J. Huang, H. Wang, W. Z. Xie, and H. S. Zhang, “Investigation of the effect of tanshinone IIA on nitric oxide production in human vascular endothelial cells by fluorescence imaging,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1180–1186, 2007.
- C. Tang, A. H. Wu, H. L. Xue, and Y. J. Wang, “Tanshinone IIA inhibits endothelin-1 production in TNF-α-induced brain microvascular endothelial cells through suppression of endothelin-converting enzyme-1 synthesis,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1116–1122, 2007.
- W. Y. Chen, F. T. Tang, S. R. Chen, and P. Q. Liu, “Phylactic effect of Tanshinone IIA on atherogenesis,” China Pharmacy, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 884–887, 2008.
- F. T. Tang, Y. Cao, T. Q. Wang et al., “Tanshinone IIA attenuates atherosclerosis in ApoE-/- mice through down-regulation of scavenger receptor expression,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 650, no. 1, pp. 275–284, 2011.
- Z. Y. Fang, R. Lin, B. X. Yuan, G. D. Yang, Y. Liu, and H. Zhang, “Tanshinone IIA downregulates the CD40 expression and decreases MMP-2 activity on atherosclerosis induced by high fatty diet in rabbit,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 217–222, 2008.
- F. Tang, X. Wu, T. Wang et al., “Tanshinone II A attenuates atherosclerotic calcification in rat model by inhibition of oxidative stress,” Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 427–438, 2007.
- R. Lin, W. R. Wang, J. T. Liu, G. D. Yang, and C. J. Han, “Protective effect of tanshinone IIA on human umbilical vein endothelial cell injured by hydrogen peroxide and its mechanism,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 217–222, 2006.
- W. R. Wang, R. Lin, N. Peng, and C. J. Han, “Protective effect of Tanshinone IIA on human vascular endothelial cell injured by hydrogen peroxide,” Journal of Chinese Medicinal Materials, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 49–51, 2006.
- Z. Y. Fang, R. Lin, B. X. Yuan, Y. Liu, and H. Zhang, “Tanshinone IIA inhibits atherosclerotic plaque formation by down-regulating MMP-2 and MMP-9 expression in rabbits fed a high-fat diet,” Life Sciences, vol. 81, no. 17-18, pp. 1339–1345, 2007.
- K. Y. Jiang, C. G. Ruan, Z. L. Gu, Z. Wen-Xuan, and G. Ci-Yi, “Effects of tanshinone II-A sulfonate on adhesion molecule expression of endothelial cells and platelets in vitro,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 1998.
- Y. J. Kang, U. H. Jin, H. W. Chang et al., “Inhibition of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein expression and atherogenic risk factor apolipoprotein B100 secretion by tanshinone IIA in HepG2 cells,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1640–1645, 2008.
- Z. Gong, C. Huang, X. Sheng et al., “The role of Tanshinone IIA in the treatment of obesity through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ antagonism,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 104–113, 2009.
- Z. H. Ren, Y. H. Tong, W. Xu, J. Ma, and Y. Chen, “Tanshinone II A attenuates inflammatory responses of rats with myocardial infarction by reducing MCP-1 expression,” Phytomedicine, vol. 17, no. 3-4, pp. 212–218, 2010.
- X. H. Li and R. Y. Tang, “Relationship between inhibitory action of tanshinone on neutrophil function and its prophylactic effects on mycoardial infarction,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 269–272, 1991.
- S. Il Jang, H. Jin Kim, Y. J. Kim, S. I. Jeong, and Y. O. You, “Tanshinone IIA inhibits LPS-induced NF-κB activation in RAW 264.7 cells: possible involvement of the NIK-IKK, ERK1/2, p38 and JNK pathways,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 542, no. 1–3, pp. 1–7, 2006.
- G. W. Fan, X. M. Gao, H. Wang et al., “The anti-inflammatory activities of Tanshinone IIA, an active component of TCM, are mediated by estrogen receptor activation and inhibition of iNOS,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 113, no. 3-5, pp. 275–280, 2009.
- X. J. Li, M. Zhou, X. H. Li, Y. H. Xu, H. Liu, and M. Yang, “Effects of Tanshinone IIA on cytokines and platelets in immune vasculitis and its mechanism,” Journal of Experimental Hematology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 188–192, 2009.
- S. I. Jang, S. I. Jeong, K. J. Kim et al., “Tanshinone IIA from salvia miltiorrhiza inhibits inducible nitric oxide synthase expression and production of TNF-α, IL-1β and IL-6 in activated RAW 264.7 Cells,” Planta Medica, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 1057–1059, 2003.
- Y. I. Li, G. Elmer, and R. C. LeBoeuf, “Tanshinone IIA reduces macrophage death induced by hydrogen peroxide by upregulating glutathione peroxidase,” Life Sciences, vol. 83, no. 15-16, pp. 557–562, 2008.
- G. Y. Zhou, B. L. Zhao, J. W. Hou, G. E. Ma, and W. J. Xin, “Protective effects of sodium tanshinone IIA sulphonate against adriamycin-induced lipid peroxidation in mice hearts in vivo and in vitro,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 487–491, 1999.
- B. L. Zhao, W. Jiang, Y. Zhao, J. W. Hou, and W. J. Xin, “Scavenging effects of Salvia miltiorrhiza on free radicals and its protection for myocardial mitochondrial membranes from ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Biochemistry and Molecular Biology International, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1171–1182, 1996.
- J. Fu, H. Huang, J. Liu, R. Pi, J. Chen, and P. Liu, “Tanshinone IIA protects cardiac myocytes against oxidative stress-triggered damage and apoptosis,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 568, no. 1–3, pp. 213–221, 2007.
- G. Zhou, W. Jiang, Y. Zhao et al., “Sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate mediates electron transfer reaction in rat heart mitochondria,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2003.
- X. L. Niu, K. Ichimori, X. Yang et al., “Tanshinone II-A inhibits low density lipoprotein oxidation in vitro,” Free Radical Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 305–312, 2000.
- X. J. Li, M. Zhou, X. H. Li, Y. H. Xu, H. Liu, and M. Yang, “Effects of Tanshinone IIa on cytokines and platelets in immune vasculitis and its mechanism,” Journal of Experimental Hematology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 188–192, 2009.
- C. Z. Li, S. C. Yang, and F. D. Zhao, “Effect of tanshinone II-A sulfonate on thrombus formation, platelet and coagulation in rats and mice,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 1984.
- H. L. Zhang, Y. M. Yang, W. T. Meng, and C. Q. Deng, “Effects of tanshinone IIA on procoagulant activity of human ECV304 cell line induced by NB4 cells,” Journal of Sichuan University, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2006.
- Y. H. Jia, X. G. Sun, and Y. Y. Chen, “Effect of Ding Xin Recipe and Tanshinone IIA on expression of platelet membrane adhesive molecule in arrhythmia rat,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 140–143, 2002.
- C. Q. Xu, X. M. Wang, J. S. Fan, X. M. Hao, Y. Y. Zhou, and T. P. Liu, “Effect of Tanshinone IIA on transmembrane potential and L-type calcium current of single cardiac ventricular myocyte in guinea pig,” Chinese Journal of Pathophysiology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 1997.
- H. B. Yu, C. Q. Xu, H. L. Shan, D. L. Dong, B. F. Yang, and Y. P. Lou, “Effect of TanshinoneIIA on potassium currents in rats ventricular myocytes,” Journal of Harbin Medical University, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 112–114, 2002.
- H. Shan, X. Li, Z. Pan et al., “Tanshinone MA protects against sudden cardiac death induced by lethal arrhythmias via repression of microRNA-1,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 1227–1235, 2009.
- D. D. Sun, H. C. Wang, X. B. Wang et al., “Tanshinone IIA: a new activator of human cardiac KCNQ1/KCNE1 (IKs) potassium channels,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 590, no. 1–3, pp. 317–321, 2008.
- X. Huang and Y. M. Zang, “Pharmacological research of Sodium Tanshinone IIA Sulfonate on cardiovascular disease,” Foreign Medical Sciences, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 9–12, 1995.
- R. Z. Shao, L. Zeng, X. L. Fu, and D. H. Chen, “Protective effect of Sodium Tanshinone IIA Sulfonate on myocardium of rat model with hyperthyreosis,” Qianwei Journal of Medicine & Pharmacy, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 93–94, 2005.
- A. K. S. Wan, S. W. S. Leung, D. Y. Zhu, and R. Y. K. Man, “Vascular effects of different lipophilic components of "Danshen", a traditional Chinese medicine, in the isolated porcine coronary artery,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 71, no. 11, pp. 1825–1828, 2008.
- Y. Yang, F. Cai, P. Y. Li et al., “Activation of high conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channels by sodium tanshinoneII-A sulfonate (DS-201) in porcine coronary artery smooth muscle cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 598, no. 1–3, pp. 9–15, 2008.
- X. G. Sun, Y. H. Jia, and L. H. Zhang, “The effects of Tanshinone IIA on introcellular free calcium, membrance potential and mitochondria membrance potential of normal and hypoxia myocytes,” Chinese Journal of Information on Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 9, no. 9, p. 21, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, L. Wei, D. Sun et al., “Tanshinone IIA pretreatment protects myocardium against ischaemia/reperfusion injury through the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-dependent pathway in diabetic rats,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 316–322, 2010.
- T. W. Wu, L. H. Zeng, K. P. Fung et al., “Effect of sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate in the rabbit myocardium and on human cardiomyocytes and vascular endothelial cells,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 2327–2332, 1993.
- W. Xu, J. Yang, and L. M. Wu, “Cardioprotective effects of tanshinone IIA on myocardial ischemia injury in rats,” Pharmazie, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 332–336, 2009.
- W. D. Jiang, Y. Z. Yu, and W. W. Liu, “Effects of sodium tanshinone II-A sulfonate and propranolol on coronary collaterals in acutely infarcted dogs,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 1981.
- K. J. Chen, D. Z. Shi, H. Xu et al., “XS0601 reduces the incidence of restenosis: a prospective study of 335 patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention in China,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2006.
- H. Xu and K. Chen, “Integrative medicine: the experience from China,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2008.