- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 726025, 15 pages
Shikonin Directly Targets Mitochondria and Causes Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Cancer Cells
1Department of Pharmaceutical Biology, Institute of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Staudinger Weg 5, 55128 Mainz, Germany
2Cytometry Core Facility, Institute of Molecular Biology, Ackermannweg 4, 55128 Mainz, Germany
Received 10 July 2012; Accepted 7 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ke Liu
Copyright © 2012 Benjamin Wiench et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [9 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Heyong Wang, Chunlian Wu, Shengbang Wan, Huijun Zhang, Songwen Zhou, and Gentao Liu, “Shikonin attenuates lung cancer cell adhesion to extracellular matrix and metastasis by inhibiting integrin β1 expression and the ERK1/2 signaling pathway,” Toxicology, vol. 308, pp. 104–112, 2013.
- Benjamin Wiench, Yet-Ran Chen, Malte Paulsen, Rebecca Hamm, Sven Schröder, Ning-Sun Yang, and Thomas Efferth, “Integration of Different “-omics” Technologies Identifies Inhibition of the IGF1R-Akt-mTOR Signaling Cascade Involved in the Cytotoxic Effect of Shikonin against Leukemia Cells,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- I. Andujar, M. C. Recio, R. M. Giner, and J. L. Rios, “Traditional Chinese Medicine Remedy to Jury: The Pharmacological Basis for the Use of Shikonin as an Anticancer Therapy,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 23, pp. 2892–2898, 2013.
- Shuqing Shi, and Haimei Cao, “Shikonin promotes autophagy in BXPC-3 human pancreatic cancer cells through the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway,” Oncology Letters, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 1087–1089, 2014.
- Shahla Karim Baloch†, Li-Jun Ling†, Han-Yue Qiu, Lin Ma, Hong-Yan Lin, Shou-Cheng Huang, Jin-Liang Qi, Xiao-Ming Wang, Gui-Hua Lu, and Yong-Hua Yang, “Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel shikonin ester derivatives as potential anti-cancer agents,” RSC Advances, vol. 4, no. 67, pp. 35588, 2014.
- Seo-Young Kwak, Youn Kyoung Jeong, Bu-Yeon Kim, Ji Young Lee, Hyun-Joo Ahn, Jae-Hoon Jeong, Mi-Sook Kim, Joon Kim, and Young-Hoon Han, “beta,beta-Dimethylacrylshikonin sensitizes human colon cancer cells to ionizing radiation through the upregulation of reactive oxygen species,” Oncology Letters, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1812–1818, 2014.
- Sun-Joong Kim, Jee Min Kim, So Hee Shim, and Hyo Ihl Chang, “Shikonin induces cell cycle arrest in human gastric cancer (AGS) by early growth response 1 (Egr1)-mediated p21 gene expression,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 1064–1071, 2014.
- Yoshikatsu Ogawa, Yasuhiro Kawano, Yoshimitsu Yamazaki, and Yoshiaki Onishi, “Shikonin shortens the circadian period: Possible involvement of Top2 inhibition,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 443, no. 1, pp. 339–343, 2014.
- Efthymia-Iliana Matthaiou, Jaleh Barar, Raphael Sandaltzopoulos, Chunsheng Li, George Coukos, and Yadollah Omidi, “Shikonin-loaded antibody-armed nanoparticles for targeted therapy of ovarian cancer,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 9, pp. 1855–1870, 2014.