- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 735653, 7 pages
Pharmacological Evaluation of Prosopis cineraria (L.) Druce in Gastrointestinal, Respiratory, and Vascular Disorders
1Faculty of Pharmacy, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan
2Department of Pharmacognosy, Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
3Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Science, University of Salerno, Via Ponte don Melillo, Fisciano, 84084 Salerno, Italy
Received 13 September 2012; Accepted 13 November 2012
Academic Editor: Muhammad Nabeel Ghayur
Copyright © 2012 Khalid Hussain Janbaz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Bhandari, Flora of the Indian Desert, Scientific Publishers, Jodhpur, India, 1978.
- A. Burkart, “A monograph of the genus Prosopis (Leguminosae, subfam. Mimosoideae),” Journal of the Arnold Arboretum, vol. 57, pp. 219–249, 1976.
- K. R. Kirtikar and B. D. Basu, Indian Medicinal Plants, vol. 2, International Book Distributors, Dehradun, India, 1984.
- K. M. Nandkarni, Indian Materia Medica, vol. 1, Popular Prakashan, Mumbai, India, 2000.
- C. P. Khare, Indian Medicinal Plants, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- S. Gangal, S. Sharma, and A. Rauf, “Fatty acid composition of Prosopis cineraria seeds,” Chemistry of Natural Compounds, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 705–707, 2009.
- S. T. Khan, N. Riaz, N. Afza et al., “Studies on the chemical constituents of Prosopis cineraria,” Journal of the Chemical Society of Pakistan, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 619–622, 2006.
- A. Malik and S. Kalidhar, “Phytochemical examination of Prosopis cineraria L.(druce) leaves,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 576–578, 2007.
- S. Sharma and P. L. Soni, “Structural investigation of Prosopis cineraria (Kherzi) seed galactomannan,” Indian Journal of Chemistry, Section B, vol. 33, pp. 355–361, 1994.
- S. Robertson, N. Narayanan, and B. R. Kapoor, “Antitumour activity of Prosopis cineraria (L.) Druce against Ehrlich ascites carcinoma-induced mice,” Natural Product Research, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 857–862, 2011.
- A. Kumar, S. K. Yadav, S. Singh, and S. N. Pandeya, “Analgesic activity of ethanolic extract of roots of Prosopis cineraria (L.) Druce,” Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 158–160, 2011.
- V. Velmurugan, G. Arunachalam, and V. Ravichandran, “Antibacterial activity of stem bark of Prosopis cineraria (Linn.) Druce,” Archives of Applied Science Research, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 147–150, 2010.
- N. Sharma, V. Garg, and A. Paul, “Antihyperglycemic, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidative potential of Prosopis cineraria bark,” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 193–200, 2010.
- National Research Council, Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1996.
- A. H. Gilani, S. Bashir, K. H. Janbaz, and A. J. Shah, “Presence of cholinergic and calcium channel blocking activities explains the traditional use of Hibiscus rosasinensis in constipation and diarrhoea,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 289–294, 2005.
- A. H. Gilani, S. Bashir, K. H. Janbaz, and A. Khan, “Pharmacological basis for the use of Fumaria indica in constipation and diarrhea,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 585–589, 2005.
- A. J. Farre, M. Colombo, M. Fort, and B. Gutierrez, “Differential effects of various Ca2+ antagonists,” General Pharmacology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 177–181, 1991.
- J. M. van Rossum, “Cumulative dose-response curves. II. Technique for the making of dose-response curves in isolated organs and the evaluation of drug parameters,” Archives Internationales de Pharmacodynamie et de Thérapie, vol. 143, pp. 299–330, 1963.
- T. B. Bolton, “Mechanisms of action of transmitters and other substances on smooth muscle,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 606–718, 1979.
- T. Godfraind, R. Miller, and M. Wibo, “Calcium antagonism and calcium entry blockade,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 321–416, 1986.
- A. Fleckenstein, “Specific pharmacology of calcium in myocardium, cardiac pacemakers, and vascular smooth muscle,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 17, pp. 149–166, 1977.
- L. L. Brunton, “Agents effecting gastrointestinal water flux and motility, emesis and anti-emetics, bile acids and pancreatic enzymes,” in Goodman and Gillman’s the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, J. G. Hardman, L. E. Limbird, P. B. Molinoff, R. W. Ruddon, and A. G. Gilman, Eds., pp. 917–936, McGraw Hill, NewYork, NY, USA, 9th edition, 1996.
- T. Ahmad, “Calcium antagonists: potential for asthma therapy,” Choices in Respiratory Management, vol. 22, pp. 41–43, 1992.
- M. N. Ghayur and A. H. Gilani, “Studies on cardio-suppressant, vasodilator and tracheal relaxant effects of Sarcococca saligna,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 990–997, 2006.
- J. Kamei and Y. Kasuya, “Antitussive effects of Ca2+ channel antagonists,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 1992.
- R. M. Graham, D. M. Perez, J. Hwa, and M. T. Piascik, “α1-adrenergic receptor subtypes molecular structure, function, and signaling,” Circulation Research, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 737–749, 1996.
- D. J. Triggle, “Calcium-channel antagonists: mechanisms of action, vascular selectivities, and clinical relevance,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 617–627, 1992.