- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 753971, 11 pages
Effects of Rhizophora mangle on Experimental Colitis Induced by TNBS in Rats
1Departamento de Farmacologia, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Departamento de Biologia Estrutural e Funcional, Instituto de Biologia, UNICAMP, 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
3Departamento de Química Orgânica, Instituto de Química, UNESP, 14800-900 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
4Departamento de Morfologia, Instituto de Biociências, UNESP, 18618-970 Botucatu, SP, Brazil
Received 11 July 2012; Accepted 23 August 2012
Academic Editor: Vassya Bankova
Copyright © 2012 Felipe Meira de Faria et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. M. Fournier and C. A. Parkos, “The role of neutrophils during intestinal inflammation,” Mucosal Immunology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 354–366, 2012.
- S. Wirtz, C. Neufert, B. Weigmann, and M. F. Neurath, “Chemically induced mouse models of intestinal inflammation,” Nature Protocols, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 541–546, 2007.
- S. Danese and C. Fiocchi, “Ulcerative colitis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, pp. 1713–1725, 2011.
- R. J. Xavier and D. K. Podolsky, “Unravelling the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease,” Nature, vol. 448, no. 7152, pp. 427–434, 2007.
- R. González, I. Ballester, R. López-Posadas et al., “Effects of flavonoids and other polyphenols on inflammation,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 331–362, 2011.
- P. A. Abboud, P. W. Hake, T. J. Burroughs et al., “Therapeutic effect of epigallocatechin-3-gallate in a mouse model of colitis,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 579, no. 1–3, pp. 411–417, 2008.
- L. M. S. Perera, D. Ruedas, and B. C. Gómez, “Gastric antiulcer effect of Rhizophora mangle L.,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2001.
- F. M. de-Faria, A. C. A. Almeida, A. Luiz-Ferreira et al., “Antioxidant action of mangrove polyphenols against gastric damage induced by absolute ethanol and ischemia-reperfusion in the rat,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, Article ID 327071, 9 pages, 2012.
- B. Berenguer, L. M. Sánchez, A. Quílez et al., “Protective and antioxidant effects of Rhizophora mangle L. against NSAID-induced gastric ulcers,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 194–200, 2006.
- E. de Armas, Y. Sarracent, E. Marrero, O. Fernández, and C. Branford-White, “Efficacy of Rhizophora mangle aqueous bark extract (RMABE) in the treatment of aphthous ulcers: a pilot study,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 21, no. 11, article 3057, pp. 1711–1715, 2005.
- F. M. de-Faria, A. C. A. Almeida, A. Luiz-Ferreira, et al., “Mechanisms of action underlying the gastric antiulcer activity of the Rhizophora mangle L.,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 234–243, 2012.
- G. P. Morris, P. L. Beck, M. S. Herridge, W. T. Depew, M. R. Szewczuk, and J. L. Wallace, “Hapten-induced model of chronic inflammation and ulceration in the rat colon,” Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 795–803, 1989.
- E. Bailón, M. Comalada, J. Román et al., “UR-1505, a salicylate able to selectively block T-cell activation, shows intestinal anti-inflammatory activity in the chronic phase of the DSS model of rat colitis,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 888–897, 2008.
- M. Vicario, M. Crespí, A. Franch, C. Amat, C. Pelegrí, and M. Moretó, “Induction of colitis in young rats by dextran sulfate sodium,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 143–150, 2005.
- M. E. Anderson, “Determination of glutathione and glutathione disulfide in biological samples,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 113, pp. 548–555, 1985.
- T. Yoshikawa, Y. Naito, A. Kishi et al., “Role of active oxygen, lipid peroxidation, and antioxidants in the pathogenesis of gastric mucosal injury induced by indomethacin in rats,” Gut, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 732–737, 1993.
- H. Aebi, “Catalase in vitro,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 105, pp. 121–126, 1984.
- J. E. Krawisz, P. Sharon, and W. F. Stenson, “Quantitative assay for acute intestinal inflammation based on myeloperoxidase activity. Assessment of inflammation in rat and hamster models,” Gastroenterology, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1344–1350, 1984.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- I. Romero-Calvo, B. Ocón, P. Martínez-Moya et al., “Reversible Ponceau staining as a loading control alternative to actin in Western blots,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 401, no. 2, pp. 318–320, 2010.
- A. C. H. F. Sawaya, D. M. Tomazela, I. B. S. Cunha et al., “Electrospray ionization mass spectrometry fingerprinting of propolis,” The Analyst, vol. 129, no. 8, pp. 739–744, 2004.
- L. Gu, M. A. Kelm, J. F. Hammerstone et al., “Liquid chromatographic/electrospray ionization mass spectrometric studies of proanthocyanidins in foods,” Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1272–1280, 2003.
- W. Friedrich, A. Eberhardt, and R. Galensa, “Investigation of proanthocyanidins by HPLC with electrospray ionization mass spectrometry,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 2000.
- T. Goto, Y. Yoshida, M. Kiso, and H. Nagashima, “Simultaneous analysis of individual catechins and caffeine in green tea,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 749, no. 1-2, pp. 295–299, 1996.
- J. J. Dalluge, B. C. Nelson, J. B. Thomas, and L. C. Sander, “Selection of column and gradient elution system for the separation of catechins in green tea using high-performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 793, no. 2, pp. 265–274, 1998.
- C. M. Rodrigues, D. Rinaldo, L. C. dos Santos et al., “Metabolic fingerprinting using direct flow injection electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry for the characterization of proanthocyanidins from the barks of Hancornia speciosa,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1907–1914, 2007.
- M. S. da Silva, S. Sánchez-Fidalgo, E. Talero et al., “Anti-inflammatory intestinal activity of Abarema cochliacarpos (Gomes) Barneby & Grimes in TNBS colitis model,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 467–475, 2010.
- H. Bartsch and J. Nair, “Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress in the genesis and perpetuation of cancer: role of lipid peroxidation, DNA damage, and repair,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 391, no. 5, pp. 499–510, 2006.
- V. Chiurchiù and M. MacCarrone, “Chronic inflammatory disorders and their redox control: From molecular mechanisms to therapeutic opportunities,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 2605–2641, 2011.
- Y. H. Wang, X. L. Yang, L. Wang et al., “Effects of proanthocyanidins from grape seed on treatment of recurrent ulcerative colitis in rats,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 888–898, 2010.
- B. G. Spyropoulos, E. P. Misiakos, C. Fotiadis, and C. N. Stoidis, “Antioxidant properties of probiotics and their protective effects in the pathogenesis of radiation-induced enteritis and colitis,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 285–294, 2011.
- F. Isik, T. Tunali Akbay, A. Yarat et al., “Protective effects of black cumin (Nigella sativa) oil on TNBS-induced experimental colitis in rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 721–730, 2011.
- L. Camacho-Barquero, I. Villegas, J. M. Sánchez-Calvo et al., “Curcumin, a Curcuma longa constituent, acts on MAPK p38 pathway modulating COX-2 and iNOS expression in chronic experimental colitis,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 333–342, 2007.
- E. Hyun, P. Andrade-Gordon, M. Steinhoff, and N. Vergnolle, “Protease-activated receptor-2 activation: a major actor in intestinal inflammation,” Gut, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1222–1229, 2008.
- B. K. Reuter, S. Asfaha, A. Buret, K. A. Sharkey, and J. L. Wallace, “Exacerbation of inflammation-associated colonic injury in rat through inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 2076–2085, 1996.
- A. Andoh, Y. Yagi, M. Shioya, A. Nishida, T. Tsujikawa, and Y. Fujiyama, “Mucosal cytokine network in inflammatory bowel disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 33, pp. 5154–5161, 2008.
- S. B. Hanauer, “Inflammatory bowel disease: epidemiology, pathogenesis, and therapeutic opportunities,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. S3–S9, 2006.
- K. Mitsuyama, M. Sata, and S. Rose-John, “Interleukin-6 trans-signaling in inflammatory bowel disease,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 451–461, 2006.
- L. Mayer, “Evolving paradigms in the pathogenesis of IBD,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2010.
- H. A. Arnett and J. L. Viney, “Gatekeepers of intestinal inflammation,” Inflammation Research, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2010.
- R. Sabat, “IL-10 family of cytokines,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 315–324, 2010.