- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 769042, 7 pages
Use of Chinese Herb Medicine in Cancer Patients: A Survey in Southwestern China
1Department of Abdominal Cancer, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Sichuan Province, Chengdu 610041, China
2Department of Medical Oncology, Teaching Hospital of Chengdu University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Sichuan Province, Chengdu 610075, China
Received 8 March 2012; Revised 11 June 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editor: Arndt Büssing
Copyright © 2012 Tai-Guo Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Chan, T. H. Lin, V. Shih, T. H. Ching, and J. Chiang, “Clinical outcomes for cancer patients using complementary and alternative medicine,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2012.
- I. Hyodo, N. Amano, K. Eguchi et al., “Nationwide survey on complementary and alternative medicine in cancer patients in Japan,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 2645–2654, 2005.
- A. B. Swarup, W. Barrett, and A. R. Jazieh, “The use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 468–473, 2006.
- E. R. Ezeome and A. N. Anarado, “Use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 7, article 28, 2007.
- Z. Chen, K. Gu, Y. Zheng, W. Zheng, W. Lu, and X. O. Shu, “The use of complementary and alternative medicine among Chinese women with breast cancer,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1049–1055, 2008.
- L. Teng, K. Jin, K. He et al., “Use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients at zhejiang university teaching hospital zhuji hospital, China,” African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 322–330, 2010.
- B. Patwardhan, D. Warude, P. Pushpangadan, and N. Bhatt, “Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine: a comparative overview,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 465–473, 2005.
- S. Lukman, Y. He, and S. C. Hui, “Computational methods for Traditional Chinese Medicine: a survey,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 283–294, 2007.
- K. Seki, M. Chisaka, M. Eriguchi et al., “An attempt to integrate Western and Chinese medicine: rationale for applying Chinese medicine as chronotherapy against cancer,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. S132–S140, 2005.
- X. Zhou, Y. Peng, and B. Liu, “Text mining for traditional Chinese medical knowledge discovery: a survey,” Journal of Biomedical Informatics, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 650–660, 2010.
- J. Liu and Z. Chen, “Traditional Chinese medicine in the new century,” Frontiers of Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 111–114, 2011.
- L. Yang, D. M. Parkin, J. Ferlay, L. Li, and Y. Chen, “Estimates of cancer incidence in China for 2000 and projections for 2005,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 243–250, 2005.
- P. Zhao, M. Dai, W. Chen, and N. Li, “Cancer trends in China,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 281–285, 2010.
- X. Shu, M. McCulloch, H. Xiao, M. Broffman, and J. Gao, “Chinese herbal medicine and chemotherapy in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 219–229, 2005.
- W. C. S. Cho and H. Y. Chen, “Clinical efficacy of traditional chinese medicine as a concomitant therapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 334–344, 2009.
- M. McCulloch, C. See, X. J. Shu et al., “Astragalus-based Chinese herbs and platinum-based chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: meta-analysis of randomized trials,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 419–430, 2006.
- W. J. Ruan, M. D. Lai, and J. G. Zhou, “Anticancer effects of Chinese herbal medicine, science or myth?” Journal of Zhejiang University. Science. B, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1006–1014, 2006.
- M. Ruan, T. Ji, W. Yang et al., “Growth inhibition and induction of apoptosis in human oral squamous cell carcinoma Tca-8113 cell lines by Shikonin was partly through the inactivation of NF-κB pathway,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 407–415, 2008.
- K. Mori, T. Kondo, Y. Kamiyama, Y. Kano, and K. Tominaga, “Preventive effect of Kampo medicine (Hangeshashin-to) against irinotecan-induced diarrhea in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 403–406, 2003.
- C. S. Cho, Supportive Cancer Care with Chinese Medicine, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2010.
- E. M. Swisher, D. E. Cohn, B. A. Goff et al., “Use of complementary and alternative medicine among women with gynecologic cancers,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 363–367, 2002.
- H. Lin, J. Liu, and Y. Zhang, “Developments in cancer prevention and treatment using traditional Chinese medicine,” Frontiers of Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 127–133, 2011.
- Z. Guo, X. Jia, J. P. Liu, J. Liao, and Y. Yang, “Herbal medicines for advanced colorectal cancer,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 5, Article ID CD004653, 2012.
- J. Gao, W. A. Morgan, A. Sanchez-Medina, and O. Corcoran, “The ethanol extract of Scutellaria baicalensis and the active compounds induce cell cycle arrest and apoptosis including upregulation of p53 and Bax in human lung cancer cells,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 254, no. 3, pp. 221–228, 2011.
- K. S. Ahn, G. Sethi, S. Shishodia, B. Sung, J. L. Arbiser, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Honokiol potentiates apoptosis, suppresses osteoclastogenesis, and inhibits invasion through modulation of nuclear factor-κB activation pathway,” Molecular Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 621–633, 2006.
- C. C. Hsieh, W. C. Lin, M. R. Lee et al., “Dang-Gui-Bu-Xai-Tang modulated the immunity of tumor bearing mice,” Immunopharmacology and Immunotoxicology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 259–271, 2003.
- L. Hong-Fen, T. Waisman, Y. Maimon, K. Shakhar, E. Rosenne, and S. Ben-Eliyahu, “The effects of a Chinese herb formula, anti-cancer number one (ACNO), on NK cell activity and tumor metastasis in rats,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 1947–1956, 2001.
- C. Yang, L. Y. Chien, and C. J. Tai, “Use of complementary and alternative medicine among patients with cancer receiving outpatient chemotherapy in Taiwan,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 413–416, 2008.
- Y. C. Lam, C. W. Cheng, H. Peng, C. K. Law, X. Huang, and Z. Bian, “Cancer patients' attitudes towards Chinese medicine: a Hong Kong survey,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 4, article 25, 2009.
- F. Tas, Z. Ustuner, G. Can et al., “The prevalence and determinants of the use of complementary and alternative medicine in adult Turkish cancer patients,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 161–167, 2005.
- S. Engdal, A. Steinsbekk, O. Klepp, and O. G. Nilsen, “Herbal use among cancer patients during palliative or curative chemotherapy treatment in Norway,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 763–769, 2008.
- S. Damery, C. Gratus, R. Grieve et al., “The use of herbal medicines by people with cancer: a cross-sectional survey,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 927–933, 2011.
- H. Boon, K. Westlake, M. Stewart et al., “Use of complementary/alternative medicine by men diagnosed with prostate cancer: prevalence and characteristics,” Urology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 849–853, 2003.
- A. Molassiotis, P. Fernandez-Ortega, D. Pud et al., “Use of complementary and alternative medicine in cancer patients: a European survey,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 655–663, 2005.
- M. A. Ferro, A. Leis, R. Doll, L. Chiu, M. Chung, and M. C. Barroetavena, “The impact of acculturation on the use of traditional Chinese medicine in newly diagnosed Chinese cancer patients,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 985–992, 2007.
- M. A. Richardson, T. Sanders, J. L. Palmer, A. Greisinger, and S. E. Singletary, “Complementary/alternative medicine use in a comprehensive cancer center and the implications for oncology,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 2505–2514, 2000.
- P. Puataweepong, N. Sutheechet, and P. Ratanamongkol, “A survey of complementary and alternative medicine use in cancer patients treated with radiotherapy in Thailand,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 670408, 6 pages, 2012.
- A. Molassiotis and M. Xu, “Quality and safety issues of web-based information about herbal medicines in the treatment of cancer,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 217–227, 2004.
- S. M. Rausch, F. Winegardner, K. M. Kruk et al., “Complementary and alternative medicine: use and disclosure in radiation oncology community practice,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 521–529, 2011.
- B. Oh, P. Butow, B. Mullan et al., “The use and perceived benefits resulting from the use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients in Australia,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 342–349, 2010.