- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 781280, 10 pages
The Dual Antimelanogenic and Antioxidant Activities of the Essential Oil Extracted from the Leaves of Acorus macrospadiceus (Yamamoto) F. N. Wei et Y. K. Li
1Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, China Medical University, No. 91 Hsueh-Shih Road, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
2Department of Hair Styling and Design, Hung Kuang University, No. 34, Chung-Chie Rd., Shalu, Taichung City 43302, Taiwan
3Department of Applied Cosmetology & Master Program of Cosmetic Science, Hung Kuang University, No. 34, Chung-Chie Rd., Shalu, Taichung City 43302, Taiwan
4Crop production Section, General of Agriculture Bureau of Taichung City, Taichung, No. 89, Sec 2, Taichung Port Road, Xitun District, Taichung City 40701, Taiwan
Received 18 July 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Edourad Hnawia
Copyright © 2012 Huey-Chun Huang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Yamaguchi, M. Brenner, and V. J. Hearing, “The regulation of skin pigmentation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 38, pp. 27557–27561, 2007.
- S. L. Cheng, R. H. Liu, J. N. Sheu, S. T. Chen, S. Sinchaikul, and G. J. Tsay, “Toxicogenomics of A375 human malignant melanoma cells treated with arbutin,” Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 87–105, 2007.
- J. García-Gavín, D. González-Vilas, V. Fernández-Redondo, and J. Toribio, “Pigmented contact dermatitis due to kojic acid. A paradoxical side effect of a skin lightener,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 63–64, 2010.
- B. Halliwell, “Free radicals, antioxidants, and human disease: curiosity, cause, or consequence?” Lancet, vol. 344, no. 8924, pp. 721–724, 1994.
- T. Finkel and N. J. Holbrook, “Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing,” Nature, vol. 408, no. 6809, pp. 239–247, 2000.
- M. Wlaschek, K. Briviba, G. P. Stricklin, H. Sies, and K. Scharffetter-Kochanek, “Singlet oxygen may mediate the ultraviolet A-induced synthesis of interstitial collagenase,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 194–198, 1995.
- N. Ito, M. Hirose, and S. Fukushima, “Studies on antioxidants: their carcinogenic and modifying effects on chemical carcinogenesis,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 24, no. 10-11, pp. 1071–1082, 1986.
- H. Yasui and H. Sakurai, “Age-dependent generation of reactive oxygen species in the skin of live hairless rats exposed to UVA light,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 655–661, 2003.
- R. Kumar, O. Prakash, A. K. Pant, S. K. Hore, C. S. Chanotiya, and C. S. Mathela, “Compositional variations and anthelmentic activity of essential oils from rhizomes of different wild populations of Acorus calamus L. and its major component, β-asarone,” Natural Product Communications, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 275–278, 2009.
- P. K. Mukherjee, V. Kumar, M. Mal, and P. J. Houghton, “In vitro acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity of the essential oil from Acorus calamus and its main constituents,” Planta Medica, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 283–285, 2007.
- J. Cho, J. Y. Kong, D. Y. Jeong, K. D. Lee, D. U. Lee, and B. S. Kang, “NMDA recepter-mediated neuroprotection by essential oils from the rhizomes of Acorus gramineus,” Life Sciences, vol. 68, no. 13, pp. 1567–1573, 2001.
- H.-C. Huang, T.-Y. Chang, L.-Z. Chang et al., “Inhibition of melanogenesis Versus antioxidant properties of essential oil extracted from leaves of vitex negundo linn and chemical composition analysis by GC-MS,” Molecules, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 3902–3916, 2012.
- H.-C. Huang, H.-M. Lien, H.-J. Ke, L.-L. Chang, C.-C. Chen, and T.-M. Chang, “Antioxidative characteristics of anisomeles indica extract and inhibitory effect of ovatodiolide on melanogenesis,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 6220–6235, 2012.
- C. L. Murrant and M. B. Reid, “Detection of reactive oxygen and reactive nitrogen species in skeletal muscle,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 236–248, 2001.
- R. P. Adama, Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy, Allured Publishing, Carol Stream, Ill, USA, 1995.
- H. van Den Dool and K. P. Dec, “A generalization of the retention index system including linear temperature programmed gas-liquid partition chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 11, no. C, pp. 463–471, 1963.
- J. H. Hwang and B. M. Lee, “Inhibitory effects of plant extracts on tyrosinase, L-DOPA oxidation, and melanin synthesis,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health. Part A, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 393–407, 2007.
- R. Buscà and R. Ballotti, “Cyclic AMP a key messenger in the regulation of skin pigmentation,” Pigment Cell Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 60–69, 2000.
- L. Yu, S. Haley, J. Perret, M. Harris, J. Wilson, and M. Qian, “Free radical scavenging properties of wheat extracts,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1619–1624, 2002.
- M. Menon, C. Maramag, R. K. Malhotra, and L. Seethalakshmi, “Effect of vitamin C on androgen independent prostate cancer cells (PC3 and Mat-Ly-Lu) in vitro: involvement of reactive oxygen species-effect on cell number, viability and DNA synthesis,” Cancer Biochemistry Biophysics, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 17–30, 1997.
- S. L. Albarracin, B. Stab, Z. Casas et al., “Effects of natural antioxidants in neurodegenerative disease,” Nutritional Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2012.
- E. Escrich, R. Moral, and M. Solanas, “Olive oil, an essential component of the Mediterranean diet, and breast cancer,” Public health nutrition, vol. 14, no. 12 A, pp. 2323–2332, 2011.
- J. M. Wood and K. U. Schallreuter, “Studies on the reactions between human tyrosinase, superoxide anion, hydrogen peroxide and thiols,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1074, no. 3, pp. 378–385, 1991.
- E. Karg, G. Odh, A. Wittbjer, E. Rosengren, and H. Rorsman, “Hydrogen peroxide as an inducer of elevated tyrosinase level in melanoma cells,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 209S–213S, 1993.
- J. P. Ebanks, R. R. Wickett, and R. E. Boissy, “Mechanisms regulating skin pigmentation: the rise and fall of complexion coloration,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 4066–4087, 2009.
- Z. Du, R. A. Clery, and C. J. Hammond, “Volatiles from leaves and rhizomes of fragrant Acorus spp. (Acoraceae),” Chemistry and Biodiversity, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 887–895, 2008.
- E. J. Seo, D. U. Lee, J. H. Kwak, S. M. Lee, Y. S. Kim, and Y. S. Jung, “Antiplatelet effects of Cyperus rotundus and its component (+)-nootkatone,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 48–54, 2011.
- K. Yoshikawa, Y. Kawahara, S. Arihara, and T. Hashimoto, “Aromatic compounds and their antioxidant activity of Acer saccharum,” Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 191–193, 2011.
- O. Ciftci, I. Ozdemir, S. Tanyildizi, S. Yildiz, and H. Oguzturk, “Antioxidative effects of curcumin, β-myrcene and 1,8-cineole against 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin-induced oxidative stress in rats liver,” Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 447–453, 2011.