- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 786839, 6 pages
Auricular Acupuncture and Vagal Regulation
Institute of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Received 30 September 2012; Accepted 2 November 2012
Academic Editor: Di Zhang
Copyright © 2012 Wei He et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Yang, “A brief analysis on the treatise of ears in Huangdi Neijing,” Zhejiang Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 14–15, 2009.
- P. Nogier, From Acuriculotherapy to Auriculomedicine, Maisonneuve, Sainte-Ruffine, France, 1981.
- L. Gori and F. Firenzuoli, “Ear acupuncture in European traditional medicine,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 4, supplement 1, pp. 13–16, 2007.
- J. Chalmers, “Modern auricular therapy: a brief history and the discovery of the vascular autonomic signal,” Journal of Chinese Medicine, no. 84, pp. 5–8, 2007.
- L. K. McCorry, “Physiology of the autonomic nervous system,” American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, vol. 71, no. 4, article 78, 2007.
- Z. P. Lin, Y. H. Chen, C. Fan, H. J. Wu, L. W. Lan, and J. G. Lin, “Effects of auricular acupuncture on heart rate, oxygen consumption and blood lactic acid for elite basketball athletes,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1131–1138, 2011.
- O. Tanaka and Y. Mukaino, “The effect of auricular acupuncture on olfactory acuity,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 1999.
- X. Y. Gao, S. P. Zhang, B. Zhu, and H. Q. Zhang, “Investigation of specificity of auricular acupuncture points in regulation of autonomic function in anesthetized rats,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 138, no. 1-2, pp. 50–56, 2008.
- T. Oleson, “Auriculotherapy stimulation for neuro-rehabilitation,” NeuroRehabilitation, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 49–62, 2002.
- R. La Marca, M. Nedeljkovic, L. Yuan, A. Maercker, and U. Ehlert, “Effects of auricular electrical stimulation on vagal activity in healthy men: evidence from a three-armed randomized trial,” Clinical Science, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 537–546, 2010.
- F. Xu, X. Liu, Z. Liu, J. Chen, and B. Dong, “The role of ear electroacupuncture on arterial pressure and respiration during asphyxia in rabbits,” Zhen Ci Yan Jiu, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 36–32, 1992.
- C. C. Hsu, C. S. Weng, M. F. Sun, L. Y. Shyu, W. C. Hu, and Y. H. Chang, “Evaluation of scalp and auricular acupuncture on EEG, HRV, and PRV,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 219–230, 2007.
- X. Y. Gao, L. Wang, I. Gaischek, Y. Michenthaler, B. Zhu, and G. Litscher, “Brain-modulated effects of auricular acupressure on the regulation of autonomic function in healthy volunteers,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 714391, 8 pages, 2012.
- X. Y. Gao, Y. H. Li, K. Liu et al., “Acupuncture-like stimulation at auricular point heart evokes cardiovascular inhibition via activating the cardiac-related neurons in the nucleus tractus solitarius,” Brain Research, vol. 1397, pp. 19–27, 2011.
- X. Y. Gao, K. Liu, B. Zhu, and G. Litscher, “Sino-European transcontinental basic and clinical high-tech acupuncture studies-part 1: auricular acupuncture increases heart rate variability in anesthetized rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 817378, 5 pages, 2012.
- G. Litscher, “Computer-based quantification of traditional Chinese-, ear- and Korean hand acupuncture: needle-induced changes of regional cerebral blood flow velocity,” Neurological Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 377–380, 2002.
- H. Huang and S. Liang, “Acupuncture at otoacupoint heart for treatment of vascular hypertension.,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 1992.
- Y. Y. Kung, C. C. H. Yang, J. H. Chiu, and T. B. J. Kuo, “The relationship of subjective sleep quality and cardiac autonomic nervous system in postmenopausal women with insomnia under auricular acupressure,” Menopause, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 638–645, 2011.
- E. Facco, G. Manani, A. Angel, et al., “Comparison study between acupuncture and pentazocine analgesic and respiratory post-operative effects,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 225–235, 1981.
- S. Borozan and G. Petković, “Ear acupuncture has a hypotonic effect on the gastrointestinal tract,” Vojnosanitetski Pregled, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 31–33, 1996.
- Q. Wan, “Auricular-plaster therapy plus acupuncture at zusanli for postoperative recovery of intestinal function,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 134–135, 2000.
- N. Ueno, H. Sudo, Y. Hattori, K. Yuge, T. Miyaki, and H. Ito, “Innervation of the external ear in humans and the musk shrew,” Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 212–218, 1993.
- D. Gupta, S. Verma, and S. K. Vishwakarma, “Anatomic basis of Arnold's ear-cough reflex,” Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 217–220, 1986.
- A. Thakar, K. K. Deepak, and S. S. Kumar, “Auricular syncope,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 122, no. 10, pp. 1115–1117, 2008.
- D. Engel, “The gastroauricular phenomenon and related vagus reflexes,” Archiv fur Psychiatrie und Nervenkrankheiten, vol. 227, no. 3, pp. 271–277, 1979.
- L. Q. Zhou and B. X. Zhao, Nomenclature and Location of Auricular Points, Standard Publishing House, Beijing, China, 1st edition, 2008.
- S. Nomura and N. Mizuno, “Central distribution of primary afferent fibers in the Arnold's nerve (the auricular branch of the vagus nerve): a transganglionic HRP study in the cat,” Brain Research, vol. 292, no. 2, pp. 199–205, 1984.
- Z. G. Mei, B. Zhu, Y. H. Li, P. J. Rong, H. Ben, and L. Li, “Responses of glucose-sensitive neurons and insulin-sensitive neurons in nucleus tractus solitarius to electroacupuncture at auricular concha in rats,” Zhongguo Zhen Jiu, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 917–922, 2007.
- A. J. Fallgatter, B. Neuhauser, M. J. Herrmann et al., “Far field potentials from the brain stem after transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 110, no. 12, pp. 1437–1443, 2003.
- T. R. Henry, “Therapeutic mechanisms of vagus nerve stimulation,” Neurology, vol. 59, no. 6, supplement 4, pp. S3–S14, 2002.
- T. Polak, F. Markulin, A. C. Ehlis, J. B. M. Langer, T. M. Ringel, and A. J. Fallgatter, “Far field potentials from brain stem after transcutaneous Vagus nerve stimulation: optimization of stimulation and recording parameters,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 116, no. 10, pp. 1237–1242, 2009.
- A. J. Fallgatter, A. C. Ehlis, T. M. Ringel, and M. J. Herrmann, “Age effect on far field potentials from the brain stem after transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation,” International Journal of Psychophysiology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2005.
- F. G. Metzger, T. Polak, Y. Aghazadeh, A. C. Ehlis, K. Hagen, and A. J. Fallgatter, “Vagus somatosensory evoked potentials—a possibility for diagnostic improvement in patients with mild cognitive impairment?” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 289–296, 2005.
- T. Kraus, K. Hösl, O. Kiess, A. Schanze, J. Kornhuber, and C. Forster, “BOLD fMRI deactivation of limbic and temporal brain structures and mood enhancing effect by transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 1485–1493, 2007.
- S. Dietrich, J. Smith, C. Scherzinger et al., “A novel transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation leads to brainstem and cerebral activations measured by functional MRI,” Biomedizinische Technik, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 104–111, 2008.
- E. C. G. Ventureyra, “Transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation for partial onset seizure therapy. A new concept,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 101–102, 2000.
- A. C. Yang, J. G. Zhang, P. J. Rong, H. G. Liu, N. Chen, and B. Zhu, “A new choice for the treatment of epilepsy: electrical auricula-vagus-stimulation,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 244–245, 2011.
- H. Stefan, G. Kreiselmeyer, F. Kerling, et al., “Transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation (t-VNS) in pharmacoresistant epilepsies: a proof of concept trial,” Epilepsia, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 115–118, 2012.
- W. He, P. J. Rong, L. Li, H. Ben, B. Zhu, and G. Litscher, “Auricular acupuncture may suppress epileptic seizures via activating the parasympathetic nervous system: a hypothesis based on innovative methods,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 615476, 5 pages, 2012.
- W. He, Y. H. Li, P. J. Rong, L. Li, H. Ben, and B. Zhu, “Effect of electroacupuncture of different regions of the auricle on epileptic seizures in epilepsy rats,” Zhen Ci Yan Jiu, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 414–418, 2011.
- W. He, C. L. Zhao, Y. H. Li, et al., “Effect of electroacupuncture at auricular concha on behaviors and electroencephalogram in epileptic rats,” Chinese Journal of Pathophysiology, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1913–1916, 2011.
- H. Q. Huang and S. Z. Liang, “Improvement of blood pressure and left cardiac function in patients with hypertension by auricular acupuncture,” Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 654–656, 1991.
- T. D. Oleson, R. J. Kroening, and D. E. Bresler, “An experimental evaluation of auricular diagnosis: the somatotopic mapping of musculoskeletal pain at ear acupuncture points,” Pain, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 217–229, 1980.
- K. Saku, Y. Mukaino, H. Ying, and K. Arakawa, “Characteristics of reactive electropermeable points on the auricles of coronary heart disease patients,” Clinical Cardiology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 415–419, 1993.
- A. White and R. Moody, “The effects of auricular acupuncture on smoking cessation may not depend on the point chosen—an exploratory meta-analysis,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 149–156, 2006.
- M. S. Lee, B. C. Shin, L. K. P. Suen, T. Y. Park, and E. Ernst, “Auricular acupuncture for insomnia: a systematic review,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 1744–1752, 2008.
- K. Pilkington, G. Kirkwood, H. Rampes, M. Cummings, and J. Richardson, “Acupuncture for anxiety and anxiety disorders—a systematic literature review,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 25, no. 1-2, pp. 1–10, 2007.
- A. R. White, R. C. Moody, and J. L. Campbell, “Acupressure for smoking cessation—a pilot study,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 7, article 8, 2007.