- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 792765, 6 pages
Changes in Cytokine Expression after Electroacupuncture in Neuropathic Rats
1Department of Physiology and Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, P.O. Box 8044, Seoul 120-752, Republic of Korea
2Acupuncture and Meridian Science Research Center, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130-701, Republic of Korea
Received 1 June 2011; Revised 12 October 2011; Accepted 26 October 2011
Academic Editor: Rui Chen
Copyright © 2012 Myeoung Hoon Cha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. J. Zijlstra, I. van den Berg-de Lange, F. J. Huygen, and J. Klein, “Anti-inflammatory actions of acupuncture,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 59–69, 2003.
- M. H. Cha, S. J. Bai, K. H. Lee et al., “Acute electroacupuncture inhibits nitric oxide synthase expression in the spinal cord of neuropathic rats,” Neurological Research, vol. 32, supplement 1, pp. S96–S100, 2010.
- M. H. Cha, J. S. Choi, S. J. Bai et al., “Antiallodynic effects of acupuncture in neuropathic rats,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 359–366, 2006.
- S. K. Kim, J. H. Park, S. J. Bae et al., “Effects of electroacupuncture on cold allodynia in a rat model of neuropathic pain: mediation by spinal adrenergic and serotonergic receptors,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 195, no. 2, pp. 430–436, 2005.
- J. H. Oh, S. J. Bai, Z. H. Cho et al., “Pain-relieving effects of acupuncture and electroacupuncture in an animal model of arthritic pain,” The International Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 116, no. 10, pp. 1139–1156, 2006.
- M. H. Pittler and E. Ernst, “Complementary therapies for neuropathic and neuralgic pain: systematic review,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 731–733, 2008.
- A. Holguin, K. A. O'Connor, J. Biedenkapp et al., “HIV-1 gp120 stimulates proinflammatory cytokine-mediated pain facilitation via activation of nitric oxide synthase-I (nNOS),” Pain, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 517–530, 2004.
- E. D. Milligan, K. K. Mehmert, J. L. Hinde et al., “Thermal hyperalgesia and mechanical allodynia produced by intrathecal administration of the human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) envelope glycoprotein, gp120,” Brain Research, vol. 861, no. 1, pp. 105–116, 2000.
- E. D. Milligan, K. A. O'Connor, K. T. Nguyen et al., “Intrathecal HIV-1 envelope glycoprotein gp120 induces enhanced pain states mediated by spinal cord proinflammatory cytokines,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 2808–2819, 2001.
- J. A. DeLeo and R. P. Yezierski, “The role of neuroinflammation and neuroimmune activation in persistent pain,” Pain, vol. 90, no. 1-2, pp. 1–6, 2001.
- S. Shamash, F. Reichert, and S. Rotshenker, “The cytokine network of wallerian degeneration: tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin-1α, and interleukin-1β,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 3052–3060, 2002.
- J. L. Arruda, R. W. Colburn, A. J. Rickman, M. D. Rutkowski, and J. A. DeLeo, “Increase of interleukin-6 mRNA in the spinal cord following peripheral nerve injury in the rat: potential role of IL-6 in neuropathic pain,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 228–235, 1998.
- J. A. Deleo, R. W. Colburn, and A. J. Rickman, “Cytokine and growth factor immunohistochemical spinal profiles in two animal models of mononeuropathy,” Brain Research, vol. 759, no. 1, pp. 50–57, 1997.
- H. L. Lee, K. M. Lee, S. J. Son, S. H. Hwang, and H. J. Cho, “Temporal expression of cytokines and their receptors mRNAs in a neuropathic pain model,” NeuroReport, vol. 15, no. 18, pp. 2807–2811, 2004.
- B. H. Lee, R. Won, E. J. Baik, S. H. Lee, and C. H. Moon, “An animal model of neuropathic pain employing injury to the sciatic nerve branches,” NeuroReport, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 657–661, 2000.
- J. S. Han and L. Terenius, “Neurochemical basis of acupuncture analgesia,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 22, pp. 193–220, 1982.
- R. X. Zhang, L. Lao, L. Wang et al., “Involvement of opioid receptors in electroacupuncture-produced anti-hyperalgesia in rats with peripheral inflammation,” Brain Research, vol. 1020, no. 1-2, pp. 12–17, 2004.
- R. S. Cheng and B. Pomeranz, “Monoaminergic mechanism of electroacupuncture analgesia,” Brain Research, vol. 215, no. 1-2, pp. 77–92, 1981.
- D. J. Mayer, “Biological mechanisms of acupuncture,” Progress in Brain Research, vol. 122, pp. 457–477, 2000.
- N. Yonehara, “Influence of serotonin receptor antagonists on substance P and serotonin release evoked by tooth pulp stimulation with electro-acupuncture in the trigeminal nucleus cudalis of the rabbit,” Neuroscience Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2001.
- A. Compston, J. Zajicek, J. Sussman et al., “Glial lineages and myelination in the central nervous system,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 161–200, 1997.
- R. P. Lisak, D. Skundric, B. Bealmear, and S. Ragheb, “The role of cytokines in Schwann cell damage, protection, and repair,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 176, supplement 2, pp. S173–S179, 1997.
- Z. Szekanecz, M. M. Halloran, M. V. Volin et al., “Temporal expression of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines in rat adjuvant-induced arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1266–1277, 2000.
- B. A. Winkelstein, M. D. Rutkowski, S. M. Sweitzer, J. L. Pahl, and J. A. Deleo, “Nerve injury proximal or distal to the DRG induces similar spinal glial activation and selective cytokine expression but differential behavioral responses to pharmacologic treatment,” The Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 439, no. 2, pp. 127–139, 2001.
- S. M. Rothman, Z. Huang, K. E. Lee, C. L. Weisshaar, and B. A. Winkelstein, “Cytokine mRNA expression in painful radiculopathy,” Journal of Pain, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 90–99, 2009.
- L. S. Sorkin and C. M. Doom, “Epineurial application of TNF elicits an acute mechanical hyperalgesia in the awake rat,” Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 96–100, 2000.
- R. X. Zhang, A. Li, B. Liu et al., “Electroacupuncture attenuates bone cancer pain and inhibits spinal interleukin-1β expression in a rat model,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 1482–1488, 2007.
- M. J. Song, Y. Q. Wang, and G. C. Wu, “Additive anti-hyperalgesia of electroacupuncture and intrathecal antisense oligodeoxynucleotide to interleukin-1 receptor type I on carrageenan-induced inflammatory pain in rats,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 335–341, 2009.