- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 819632, 12 pages
Antimigratory Effects of the Methanol Extract from Momordica charantia on Human Lung Adenocarcinoma CL1 Cells
1Department of Life Sciences, Tzu-Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
2Institute of Medical Sciences, Tzu-Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
3Department of Anatomy, Tzu-Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
4Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, Hualien, Taiwan
5National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Taiwan
Received 24 June 2012; Revised 26 October 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editor: Jen-Hwey Chiu
Copyright © 2012 Hsue-Yin Hsu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Meng and L. Ma, “Progression in therapy of erlotinib for patients with non-small cell lung cancer,” Chinese Journal of Lung Cancer, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1352–1355, 2009.
- K. M. Fong, Y. Sekido, and J. D. Minna, “Molecular pathogenesis of lung cancer,” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 1136–1152, 1999.
- W. G. Cance, J. E. Harris, M. V. Iacocca et al., “Immunohistochemical analyses of focal adhesion kinase expression in benign and malignant human breast and colon tissues: correlation with preinvasive and invasive phenotypes,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2417–2423, 2000.
- C. R. Hauck, D. J. Sieg, D. A. Hsia et al., “Inhibition of focal adhesion kinase expression or activity disrupts epidermal growth factor-stimulated signaling promoting the migration of invasive human carcinoma cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 19, pp. 7079–7090, 2001.
- C. R. Hauck, D. A. Hsia, X. S. Puente, D. A. Cheresh, and D. D. Schlaepfer, “FRNK blocks v-Src-stimulated invasion and experimental metastases without effects on cell motility or growth,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 6289–6302, 2002.
- J. Shen, L. Xu, T. K. Owonikoko et al., “NNK promotes migration and invasion of lung cancer cells through activation of c-Src/PKCiota/FAK loop,” Cancer Letters, vol. 318, no. 1, pp. 106–113, 2012.
- B. S. Verbeek, T. M. Vroom, and G. Rijksen, “Overexpression of c-Src enhances cell-matrix adhesion and cell migration in PDGF-stimulated NIH3T3 fibroblasts,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 248, no. 2, pp. 531–537, 1999.
- D. D. Schlaepfer and S. K. Mitra, “Multiple connections link FAK to cell motility and invasion,” Current Opinion in Genetics & Development, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 92–101, 2004.
- X. M. Xu, Y. Zhang, D. Qu, X. W. Feng, Y. Chen, and L. Zhao, “Osthole suppresses migration and invasion of A549 human lung cancer cells through inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and matrix metallopeptidase-9 in vitro,” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 1018–1022, 2012.
- M. Bienz and H. Clevers, “Linking colorectal cancer to Wnt signaling,” Cell, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 311–320, 2000.
- L. You, B. He, Z. Xu et al., “Inhibition of Wnt-2-mediated signaling induces programmed cell death in non-small-cell lung cancer cells,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 36, pp. 6170–6174, 2004.
- W. J. Nelson and R. Nusse, “Convergence of Wnt, beta-catenin, and cadherin pathways,” Science, vol. 303, no. 5663, pp. 1483–1487, 2004.
- K. M. Cadigan, “Wnt-beta-catenin signaling,” Current Biology, vol. 18, no. 20, pp. R943–R947, 2008.
- Y. W. Chu, P. C. Yang, S. C. Yang et al., “Selection of invasive and metastatic subpopulations from a human lung adenocarcinoma cell line,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 353–360, 1997.
- M. J. Tan, J. M. Ye, N. Turner et al., “Antidiabetic activities of triterpenoids isolated from bitter melon associated with activation of the AMPK pathway,” Chemistry and Biology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 263–273, 2008.
- S. Lee-Huang, P. L. Huang, A. S. Bourinbaiar, H. C. Chen, and H. F. Kung, “Inhibition of the integrase of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 by anti-HIV plant proteins MAP30 and GAP31,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 19, pp. 8818–8822, 1995.
- P. Das, S. P. Sinhababu, and T. Dam, “Screening of antihelminthic effects of Indian plant extracts: a preliminary report,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 299–301, 2006.
- C. A. Schreiber, L. Wan, Y. Sun, L. Lu, L. C. Krey, and S. Lee-Huang, “The antiviral agents, MAP30 and GAP31, are not toxic to human spermatozoa and may be useful in preventing the sexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 686–690, 1999.
- R. B. Ray, A. Raychoudhuri, R. Steele, and P. Nerurkar, “Bitter melon (Momordica charantia) extract inhibits breast cancer cell proliferation by modulating cell cycle regulatory genes and promotes apoptosis,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 1925–1931, 2010.
- P. Limtrakul, O. Khantamat, and K. Pintha, “Inhibition of P-glycoprotein activity and reversal of cancer multidrug resistance by Momordica charantia extract,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 525–530, 2004.
- P. Pitchakarn, K. Ogawa, S. Suzuki et al., “Momordica charantia leaf extract suppresses rat prostate cancer progression in vitro and in vivo,” Cancer Science, vol. 101, no. 10, pp. 2234–2240, 2010.
- L. Wang, Y. Cai, X. Q. Zhang et al., “New triterpenoid glycosides from the roots of Ilex asprella,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 349, pp. 39–43, 2012.
- S. Lee-Huang, P. L. Huang, H. C. Chen et al., “Anti-HIV and anti-tumor activities of recombinant MAP30 from bitter melon,” Gene, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 151–156, 1995.
- S. Lee-Huang, P. L. Huang, Y. Sun et al., “Inhibition of MDA-MB-231 human breast tumor xenografts and HER2 expression by anti-tumor agents GAP31 and MAP30,” Anticancer Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 653–659, 2000.
- C. J. Li, S. F. Tsang, C. H. Tsai, H. Y. Tsai, J. H. Chyuan, and H. Y. Hsu, “Momordica charantia extract induces apoptosis in human cancer cells through caspase- and mitochondria-dependent pathways,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 261971, 11 pages, 2012.
- D. A. E. Cross, D. R. Alessi, P. Cohen, M. Andjelkovich, and B. A. Hemmings, “Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3 by insulin mediated by protein kinase B,” Nature, vol. 378, no. 6559, pp. 785–789, 1995.
- A. Satelli and S. Li, “Vimentin in cancer and its potential as a molecular target for cancer therapy,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 68, no. 18, pp. 3033–3046, 2011.
- G. P. Gupta and J. Massagué, “Cancer metastasis: building a framework,” Cell, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 679–695, 2006.
- H. Sakurai, A. Maeshima, S. I. Watanabe et al., “Grade of stromal invasion in small adenocarcinoma of the lung: histopathological minimal invasion and prognosis,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 198–206, 2004.
- J. M. Shieh, T. H. Cheng, M. D. Shi et al., “Alpha-tomatine suppresses invasion and migration of human non-small cell lung cancer NCI-H460 cells through inactivating FAK/PI3K/Akt signaling pathway and reducing binding activity of NF-kappaB,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 297–310, 2011.
- X. Zhao and J. L. Guan, “Focal adhesion kinase and its signaling pathways in cell migration and angiogenesis,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 610–615, 2011.
- S. K. Mitra, D. A. Hanson, and D. D. Schlaepfer, “Focal adhesion kinase: in command and control of cell motility,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 56–68, 2005.
- K. Shibata, F. Kikkawa, A. Nawa et al., “Both focal adhesion kinase and c-Ras are required for the enhanced matrix metalloproteinase 9 secretion by fibronectin in ovarian cancer cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 900–903, 1998.
- J. K. Slack-Davis, K. H. Martin, R. W. Tilghman et al., “Cellular characterization of a novel focal adhesion kinase inhibitor,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 20, pp. 14845–14852, 2007.
- B. P. Eliceiri, X. S. Puente, J. D. Hood et al., “Src-mediated coupling of focal adhesion kinase to integrin αvβ5 in vascular endothelial growth factor signaling,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 149–160, 2002.
- W. G. Roberts, E. Ung, P. Whalen et al., “Antitumor activity and pharmacology of a selective focal adhesion kinase inhibitor, PF-562,271,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1935–1944, 2008.
- M. Iiizumi, W. Liu, S. K. Pai, E. Furuta, and K. Watabe, “Drug development against metastasis-related genes and their pathways: a rationale for cancer therapy,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1786, no. 2, pp. 87–104, 2008.
- W. Sienel, J. Hellers, A. Morresi-Hauf et al., “Prognostic impact of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in operable non-small cell lung cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 647–651, 2003.
- B. Passlick, W. Sienel, R. Seen-Hibler et al., “Overexpression of matrix metalloproteinase 2 predicts unfavorable outcome in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 3944–3948, 2000.
- L. C. Cantley, “The phosphoinositide 3-kinase pathway,” Science, vol. 296, no. 5573, pp. 1655–1657, 2002.
- J. Brugge, M. C. Hung, and G. B. Mills, “A new mutational aktivation in the PI3K pathway,” Cancer Cell, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 104–107, 2007.
- P. G. Rychahou, J. Kang, P. Gulhati et al., “Akt2 overexpression plays a critical role in the establishment of colorectal cancer metastasis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 51, pp. 20315–20320, 2008.
- M. Dahlhoff, A. Siegmund, Y. Golub, E. Wolf, F. Holsboer, and C. T. Wotjak, “AKT/GSK-3β/β-catenin signalling within hippocampus and amygdala reflects genetically determined differences in posttraumatic stress disorder like symptoms,” Neuroscience, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 1216–1226, 2010.
- Y. W. Qiang, K. Walsh, L. Yao et al., “Wnts induce migration and invasion of myeloma plasma cells,” Blood, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 1786–1793, 2005.
- M. Bienz, “β-catenin: a pivot between cell adhesion and Wnt signalling,” Current Biology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. R64–R67, 2005.
- Y. Song, Q. X. Yang, F. Zhang et al., “Suppression of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cell by targeting beta-catenin signaling pathway,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. e116–e121, 2012.
- J. Gwak, J. H. Lee, Y. H. Chung, G. Y. Song, and S. Oh, “Small molecule-based promotion of PKCalpha-mediated beta-catenin degradation suppresses the proliferation of CRT-positive cancer cells,” PLOS ONE, vol. 7, no. 10, Article ID e46697, 2012.
- T. Nakashima, D. Liu, J. Nakano et al., “Wnt1 overexpression associated with tumor proliferation and a poor prognosis in non-small cell lung cancer patients,” Oncology Reports, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 203–209, 2008.
- H. Kausar, J. Jeyabalan, F. Aqil et al., “Berry anthocyanidins synergistically suppress growth and invasive potential of human non-small-cell lung cancer cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 325, no. 1, pp. 54–62, 2012.
- N. G. Kim, C. Xu, and B. M. Gumbiner, “Identification of targets of the Wnt pathway destruction complex in addition to β-catenin,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 13, pp. 5165–5170, 2009.
- M. T. Veeman, J. D. Axelrod, and R. T. Moon, “A second canon: functions and mechanisms of β-catenin-independent Wnt signaling,” Developmental Cell, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 367–377, 2003.
- J. I. Yook, X. Y. Li, I. Ota, E. R. Fearon, and S. J. Weiss, “Wnt-dependent regulation of the E-cadherin repressor snail,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 12, pp. 11740–11748, 2005.
- L. C. Fuentealba, E. Eivers, A. Ikeda et al., “Integrating patterning signals: Wnt/GSK3 regulates the duration of the BMP/Smad1 signal,” Cell, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 980–993, 2007.