- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 859185, 10 pages
Aqueous Extract of Solanum nigrum Leaf Activates Autophagic Cell Death and Enhances Docetaxel-Induced Cytotoxicity in Human Endometrial Carcinoma Cells
1Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei 110, Taiwan
2Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
3Department of Chinese Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital, 252 Wu Hsing Street, Taipei 110, Taiwan
4Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
5Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
6Department of Surgery, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei 110, Taiwan
7Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
Received 22 August 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editor: José Luis Ríos
Copyright © 2012 Cheng-Jeng Tai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Amant, P. Moerman, P. Neven, D. Timmerman, E. Van Limbergen, and I. Vergote, “Endometrial cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9484, pp. 491–505, 2005.
- F. Bray, A. H. Loos, M. Oostindier, and E. Weiderpass, “Geographic and temporal variations in cancer of the corpus uteri: incidence and mortality in pre- and postmenopausal women in Europe,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 123–131, 2005.
- W. Creasman, F. Odicino, P. Maisonneuve et al., “Carcinoma of the corpus uteri. FIGO 26th Annual Report on the Results of Treatment in Gynecological Cancer,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 95, supplement 1, pp. S105–S143, 2006.
- M. E. Randall, V. L. Filiaci, H. Muss et al., “Randomized phase III trial of whole-abdominal irradiation versus doxorubicin and cisplatin chemotherapy in advanced endometrial carcinoma: a gynecologic oncology group study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2006.
- J. G. Aalders, V. Abeler, and P. Kolstad, “Recurrent adenocarcinoma of the endometrium: a clinical and histopathological study of 379 patients,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 85–103, 1984.
- K. C. Podratz, P. C. O'Brien, and G. D. Malkasian Jr., “Effects of progestational agents in treatment of endometrial carcinoma,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 106–110, 1985.
- A. A. Secord, L. J. Havrilesky, V. Bae-Jump et al., “The role of multi-modality adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation in women with advanced stage endometrial cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 285–291, 2007.
- M. Bruzzone, L. Miglietta, P. Franzone, A. Gadducci, and F. Boccardo, “Combined treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy in high-risk FIGO stage III-IV endometrial cancer patients,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 345–352, 2004.
- H. Nomura, D. Aoki, F. Takahashi et al., “Randomized phase II study comparing docetaxel plus cisplatin, docetaxel plus carboplatin, and paclitaxel plus carboplatin in patients with advanced or recurrent endometrial carcinoma: a Japanese Gynecologic Oncology Group study (JGOG2041),” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 636–642, 2011.
- E. Ernst and B. R. Cassileth, “The prevalence of complementary/alternative medicine in cancer: a systematic review,” Cancer, vol. 83, pp. 777–782, 1998.
- R. E. Patterson, M. L. Neuhouser, M. M. Hedderson et al., “Types of alternative medicine used by patients with breast, colon, or prostate cancer: predictors, motives, and costs,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 477–485, 2002.
- M. A. Richardson, T. Sanders, J. L. Palmer, A. Greisinger, and S. E. Singletary, “Complementary/alternative medicine use in a comprehensive cancer center and the implications for oncology,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 2505–2514, 2000.
- W. Xu, A. D. Towers, P. Li, and J. P. Collet, “Traditional Chinese medicine in cancer care: perspectives and experiences of patients and professionals in China,” European Journal of Cancer Care, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 397–403, 2006.
- F. Qi, A. Li, Y. Inagaki et al., “Chinese herbal medicines as adjuvant treatment during chemo- or radio-therapy for cancer,” Bioscience Trends, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 297–307, 2010.
- M. Youns, J. D. Hoheisel, and T. Efferth, “Traditional Chinese Medicines (TCMs) for molecular targeted therapies of tumours,” Current Drug Discovery Technologies, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 2010.
- L. An, J. T. Tang, X. M. Liu, and N. N. Gao, “Review about mechanisms of anti-cancer of Solanum nigrum,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 1225–1260, 2006.
- H. C. Huang, K. Y. Syu, and J. K. Lin, “Chemical composition of Solanum nigrum linn extract and induction of autophagy by leaf water extract and its major flavonoids in AU565 breast cancer cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 15, pp. 8699–8708, 2010.
- M. Shokrzadeh, M. Azadbakht, N. Ahangar, A. Hashemi, and S. S. S. Saravi, “Cytotoxicity of hydro-alcoholic extracts of Cucurbita pepo and Solanum nigrum on HepG2 and CT26 cancer cell lines,” Pharmacognosy Magazine, vol. 6, no. 23, pp. 176–179, 2010.
- H. M. Lin, H. C. Tseng, C. J. Wang et al., “Induction of autophagy and apoptosis by the extract of Solanum nigrum Linn in HepG2 cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 3620–3628, 2007.
- V. Ganansia-Leymarie, P. Bischoff, J. P. Bergerat, and V. Holl, “Signal transduction pathways of taxanes-induced apoptosis,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 291–306, 2003.
- F. Zhang, T. Zhang, Y. Qu et al., “Replication-dependent γ-H2AX formation is involved in docetaxel-induced apoptosis in NSCLC A549 cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1297–1305, 2010.
- T. C. Chou, “Theoretical basis, experimental design, and computerized simulation of synergism and antagonism in drug combination studies,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 621–681, 2006.
- H. C. Wang, P. J. Chung, C. H. Wu, K. P. Lan, M. Y. Yang, and C. J. Wang, “Solanum nigrum L. polyphenolic extract inhibits hepatocarcinoma cell growth by inducing G2/M phase arrest and apoptosis,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 178–185, 2011.
- A. W. Horne, E. N. Lalani, R. A. Margara, and J. O. White, “The effects of sex steroid hormones and interleukin-1-beta on MUC1 expression in endometrial epithelial cell lines,” Reproduction, vol. 131, no. 4, pp. 733–742, 2006.
- A. Watanabe, Y. Kinoshita, K. Hosokawa, T. Mori, T. Yamaguchi, and H. Honjo, “Function of estrogen-related receptor α in human endometrial cancer,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 1573–1577, 2006.
- L. Sun, Y. Zhao, X. Li, H. Yuan, A. Cheng, and H. Lou, “A lysosomal-mitochondrial death pathway is induced by solamargine in human K562 leukemia cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1504–1511, 2010.
- X. Ding, F. S. Zhu, M. Li, and S. G. Gao, “Induction of apoptosis in human hepatoma SMMC-7721 cells by solamargine from Solanum nigrum L,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 139, pp. 599–604, 2012.
- V. Gagnon, I. Mathieu, É. Sexton, K. Leblanc, and E. Asselin, “AKT involvement in cisplatin chemoresistance of human uterine cancer cells,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 785–795, 2004.
- N. M. Mhaidat, Y. Wang, K. A. Kiejda, X. D. Zhang, and P. Hersey, “Docetaxel-induced apoptosis in melanoma cells is dependent on activation of caspase-2,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 752–761, 2007.
- G. M. Kolfschoten, T. M. Hulscher, M. C. A. Duyndam, H. M. Pinedo, and E. Boven, “Variation in the kinetics of caspase-3 activation, Bcl-2 phosphorylation and apoptotic morphology in unselected human ovarian cancer cell lines as a response to docetaxel,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 733–743, 2002.
- H. J. Muenchen, P. J. Poncza, and K. J. Pienta, “Different docetaxel-induced apoptotic pathways are present in prostate cancer cell lines LNCaP and PC-3,” Urology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 366–370, 2001.
- A. Rouette, S. Parent, J. Girouard, V. Leblanc, and E. Asselin, “Cisplatin increases B-cell-lymphoma-2 expression via activation of protein kinase C and Akt2 in endometrial cancer cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 130, pp. 1755–1767, 2012.
- H. M. Lin, H. C. Tseng, C. J. Wang, J. J. Lin, C. W. Lo, and F. P. Chou, “Hepatoprotective effects of Solanum nigrum Linn extract against CCl4-iduced oxidative damage in rats,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 283–293, 2008.