- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 863905, 11 pages
Effectiveness of Yoga for Menopausal Symptoms: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
Chair of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
Received 3 May 2012; Accepted 1 June 2012
Academic Editor: Arndt Büssing
Copyright © 2012 Holger Cramer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Sherman, “Defining the menopausal transition,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 118, supplement 12, pp. 3–7, 2005.
- NIH State-of-the-Science Panel, “National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science conference statement: management of menopause-related symptoms,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, no. 12, part 1, pp. 1003–1013, 2005.
- C. R. Gracia, M. D. Sammel, E. W. Freeman et al., “Defining menopause status: creation of a new definition to identify the early changes of the menopausal transition,” Menopause, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 128–135, 2005.
- A. H. MacLennan, “Evidence-based review of therapies at the menopause,” International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 112–123, 2009.
- S. Appling, K. Paez, and J. Allen, “Ethnicity and vasomotor symptoms in postmenopausal women,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1130–1138, 2007.
- J. G. Greene, “Constructing a standard climacteric scale,” Maturitas, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 1998.
- H. Joffe, C. N. Soares, and L. S. Cohen, “Assessment and treatment of hot flushes and menopausal mood disturbance,” Psychiatric Clinics of North America, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 563–580, 2003.
- M. P. Warren, “Missed symptoms of menopause,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 2041–2050, 2007.
- M. C. Politi, M. D. Schleinitz, and N. F. Col, “Revisiting the duration of vasomotor symptoms of menopause: a meta-analysis,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1507–1513, 2008.
- R. J. Santen, D. C. Allred, S. P. Ardoin et al., “Postmenopausal hormone therapy: an endocrine society scientific statement,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 7, supplement 1, pp. s1–s66, 2010.
- North American Menopause Society, “The 2012 hormone therapy position statement of: the North American Menopause society,” Menopause, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 257–271, 2012.
- J. E. Rossouw, G. L. Anderson, R. L. Prentice et al., “Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the women's health initiative randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 3, pp. 321–333, 2002.
- J. E. Rossouw, R. L. Prentice, J. E. Manson et al., “Postmenopausal hormone therapy and risk of cardiovascular disease by age and years since menopause,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 13, pp. 1465–1477, 2007.
- N. Kim, C. Gross, J. Curtis et al., “The impact of clinical trials on the use of hormone replacement therapy: a population-based study,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1026–1031, 2005.
- H. D. Nelson, K. K. Vesco, E. Haney et al., “Nonhormonal therapies for menopausal hot flashes: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 17, pp. 2057–2071, 2006.
- C. P. van der Sluijs, A. Bensoussan, L. Liyanage, and S. Shah, “Women's health during mid-life survey: the use of complementary and alternative medicine by symptomatic women transitioning through menopause in Sydney,” Menopause, vol. 14, no. 3, part 1, pp. 397–403, 2007.
- Y. A. Bair, E. B. Gold, G. Zhang et al., “Use of complementary and alternative medicine during the menopause transition: longitudinal results from the study of women's health across the Nation,” Menopause, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 32–43, 2008.
- C. A. Lunny and S. N. Fraser, “The use of complementary and alternative medicines among a sample of canadian menopausal-aged women,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 335–343, 2010.
- A. Daley, C. MacArthur, R. McManus et al., “Factors associated with the use of complementary medicine and non-pharmacological interventions in symptomatic menopausal women,” Climacteric, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 336–346, 2006.
- K. M. Newton, D. S. M. Buist, N. L. Keenan, L. A. Anderson, and A. Z. LaCroix, “Use of alternative therapies for menopause symptoms: results of a population-based survey,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2002.
- F. Cardini, G. Lesi, F. Lombardo, and C. van der Sluijs, “The use of complementary and alternative medicine by women experiencing menopausal symptoms in Bologna,” BMC Women's Health, vol. 10, article 7, 2010.
- R. B. Saper, D. M. Eisenberg, R. B. Davis, L. Culpepper, and R. S. Phillips, “Prevalence and patterns of adult yoga use in the United States: results of a national survey,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 44–49, 2004.
- B. K. S. Iyengar, Light on Yoga, Schocken Books, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- G. Feuerstein, The Yoga Tradition, Hohm Press, Prescott, Ariz, USA, 2001.
- G. Kirkwood, H. Rampes, V. Tuffrey, J. Richardson, and K. Pilkington, “Yoga for anxiety: a systematic review of the research evidence,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 884–891, 2005.
- K. Yang, “A review of yoga programs for four leading risk factors of chronic diseases,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 487–491, 2007.
- A. Bussing, T. Ostermann, R. Ludtke, and A. Michalsen, “Effects of yoga interventions on pain and pain-associated disability: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Pain, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2012.
- H. Cramer, R. Lauche, H. Haller, and G. Dobos, “A systematic review and meta-analysis of yoga for low back pain,” Clinical Journal of Pain. In press.
- H. Cramer, S. Lange, P. Klose, A. Paul, and G. Dobos, “Can yoga improve fatigue in breast cancer patients? A systematic review,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 559–560, 2012.
- M. S. Lee, J. I. Kim, J. Y. Ha, K. Boddy, and E. Ernst, “Yoga for menopausal symptoms: a systematic review,” Menopause, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 602–608, 2009.
- D. Moher, A. Liberati, J. Tetzlaff, D. G. Altman, and The PRISMA Group, “Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement,” BMJ, vol. 339, no. 7716, pp. 332–336, 2009.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green S, Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, UK, 2010.
- A. D. Furlan, V. Pennick, C. Bombardier, M. van Tulder, and The Editorial Board of the Cochrane Collaboration Back Review Group, “2009 Updated method guidelines for systematic reviews in the cochrane back review group,” Spine, vol. 34, no. 18, pp. 1929–1941, 2009.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 1998.
- M. van Tulder, A. Furlan, C. Bombardier, L. Bouter, and The Editorial Board of the Cochrane Collaboration Back Review Group, “Updated method guidelines for systematic reviews in the cochrane collaboration back review group,” Spine, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1290–1299, 2003.
- M. Egger, G. D. Smith, M. Schneider, and C. Minder, “Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7109, pp. 629–634, 1997.
- S. E. Blank, J. Kittel, and M. R. Haberman, “Active practice of Iyengar yoga as an intervention for breast cancer survivors,” International Journal of Yoga Therapy, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2005.
- S. Y. Choi, H. S. Oh, and Y. S. Kang, “Effects of health promotion program on stress and menopausal symptoms in menopausal women,” Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 353–364, 2007.
- R. Chattha, R. Nagarathna, V. Padmalatha, and H. R. Nagendra, “Effect of yoga on cognitive functions in climacteric syndrome: a randomised control study,” An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 991–1000, 2008.
- S. Elavsky and E. McAuley, “Exercise and self-esteem in menopausal women: a randomized controlled trial involving walking and yoga,” American Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 83–92, 2007.
- S. Elavsky and E. McAuley, “Lack of perceived sleep improvement after 4-month structured exercise programs,” Menopause, vol. 14, no. 3, part 1, pp. 535–540, 2007.
- R. F. Afonso, H. Hachul, E. H. Kozasa et al., “Yoga decreases insomnia in postmenopausal women: a randomized clinical trial,” Menopause, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 186–193, 2012.
- J. W. Carson, K. M. Carson, L. S. Porter, F. J. Keefe, and V. L. Seewaldt, “Yoga of awareness program for menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors: results from a randomized trial,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1301–1309, 2009.
- R. Chattha, N. Raghuram, P. Venkatram, and N. R. Hongasandra, “Treating the climacteric symptoms in Indian women with an integrated approach to yoga therapy: a randomized control study,” Menopause, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 862–870, 2008.
- S. Elavsky and E. McAuley, “Physical activity and mental health outcomes during menopause: a randomized controlled trial,” Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 132–142, 2007.
- S. Joshi, R. Khandwe, D. Bapat, and U. Deshmukh, “Effect of yoga on menopausal symptoms,” Menopause International, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 78–81, 2011.
- K. E. Innes, T. K. Selfe, and A. Vishnu, “Mind-body therapies for menopausal symptoms: a systematic review,” Maturitas, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 135–149, 2010.
- A. Daley, H. Stokes-Lampard, and C. Macarthur, “Exercise for vasomotor menopausal symptoms,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 11, no. 5, article CD006108, 2011.
- K. F. Schulz, D. G. Altman, D. Moher, and The CONSORT Group, “CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 11, pp. 726–732, 2010.